Thread: New Campaign Tester

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Campaign Tester

Hello, I have gone back to Mongol Invasion after many years and had some fun playing around with the files to make a new campaign. It also includes a new set of troopstats and unit preferences to suit the clans as they are portrayed in my campaign. Would anyone be interested in trying it before I upload it into the great vault of the Guild's Shogun archives? It would like to tweak it a little based on someone else's feedback, if anyone out there has gone back to the game recently! Here is the blurb for the campaign, which I had fun writing!

Introduction

1570. All the clans deny. All the clans tear their breasts and invite vengeance upon their foes. The Emperor is dead. Great Kyoto, lofty Shinano, two of the poles of Japan, are in chaos beyond chaos. Woe, for murder has poisoned war. Strange creatures walk and kill like the ravings of a dying Japan. Pale men in black coats pace its surface, like plague spirits on a dying Japan. Ships circle it like the flies around a dying Japan. Gunpowder burns like funeral incense over dying Japan. Fire touches what should be stronger than men, the very soul of Japan. In 1570 Japan will fight back. Unite the land, save it from itself, and be called a hero. A hero to some, a Shogun to all.

The Shimazu

The Shimazu clan are a mere province or two from dominating Japan, but it will be a victory for the men in black. Their speech is mysterious, but their intentions are clear. Peace. Peace with the gun, and hellfire for those who resist. Under their hungry guidance the Shimazu sprang for victory, leaving their hereditary domains to the Uesugi and driving the Oda to their last enclaves. New threats approach the head and tail of this great dragon however, and the common people have yet to embrace their new God….

The Oda

The sad remnants of the Oda clan gather around Wakasa bay, and squabble over the flotsam and jetsam of disaster. They await their defeat. Only a fool could believe in glory again; of Shimazu heads under a golden boot, of Takeda’s fine horses fleeing riderless, of the Imagawa burned beyond motion. Only a fool…?

The Mori

The great temples of Japan have grown strong, strong like men. Their spears are keen. The foundries that forged fine temple bells ring with the manufacture of Japan’s finest guns. They have traded wisely with the foreigners, and confined them to the ports. No men in black will ever walk up the steps of Miidera. The great temples of Japan have grown strong. Yet is the wedding of a Buddhist creed with foreign knowledge the forging of a New Pure Land, or the final decadence before defeat?

The Uesugi

Lord Uesugi had proceeded securely, inexorably, on his path to victory, a long and torturously calculated path. A brilliantly executed gambit gave him control of southern Kyushu. His careful attention to the doctrines of military strategy gave him an army ready for any battle, yet still it is not numerous enough for war. His lands remain too poor and too limited for a future ruler, and suddenly the open maw of Shinano threatens to devour him. There are ships too, too many ships to the north of Kyushu… Lord Uesugi is caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Can he find a path?

The Hojo

The Lord Hojo is pleased to make his home among the barbarians of the north? The fat Lord Hojo has grown keen for war? He has changed much since the Imagawa chased him from his sprawling castles. His new allies have put all their forces into the field. Ainu tribesman walk with heavy axes, fling harpoons, wind their crossbows and point them like guns. His lands are rich, time laughs by his side as the peasants haul in the harvests. Yet time is fickle and he must strike before Shinano someday claims him too…

The Takeda

The Takeda’s limbs are strong, but their back is broken. At the very moment of their march to the capital the cataclysm that swallowed Shinano and Yamashiro tore their domains into two uselessly flapping halves. The Takeda must ride, but who will be trampled? Allies are few, and hell is at their back…

The Tokugawa

The genius of Lord Tokugawa must be told. The assassination of the Emperor. The artful deception that persuades every clan of the guilt of the others. The expedition of his sons to call the finest horseman of Asia to the shores of Kyushu. The eyes of the wise should look to the councils of the Tokugawa, and see what is to be seen, yet the eyes of the wise are clouded by the fog of war. The eyes of Lord Tokugawa are everywhere, and his knives strike where they gaze. Fight him by day in the open field, where his forces are scattered and may be broken. The night belongs to Lord Tokugawa, do not give him the day.

The Rebels

Hell is Shinano and Yamashiro. Tengu from the mountains decapitate. Cultists fling lava impossibly. Shades walk and kill. The accursed denizens of the lands stumble and kill, shamble and kill, hardly able to defy the improbability of their existence, hardly able to die, sometimes fleeing even that. Only a true Shogun can walk in those lands and live.

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

Default Re: New Campaign Tester

Sounds promising. I like to try it, but my feedback probably won't be very useful because I never learnt to control anything above a mid-size army, and gave up on every single campaign once the armies became full stack. The descriptions do sound exciting and full of possibilities though, looking forward to it. :)

Default Re: New Campaign Tester

Great! Please e-mail me at Wavesword (at) hotmail.com, and put Shogun in the title line. I'll send you the campaign files.

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html