Thread: Dishonourable AI

I have noticed that when the computer realises it cannot win it will not die with honour but simply inch away from your units until you get tired and do something stupid (like a cavalry charge into yari samurai), or it will simply wait until the time limit runs out. Also, I cannot remember the number of times I have used up all my men's morale chasing an army off the corner of the map only to realise there is another entire army camped over the other side which has been marching in steadily since the battle begun. For a game that talks so highly of honour, the AI seems to employ the dirtiest, most dishonourable tactics in the book. There is also the AI koku cheating, which was admitted by the game's designers. Hopefully these problems will be addressed by the EX pack.

Transferred from the expansion forum.

There is a fine line between dishonorable plotting and ingenuous use of tactics. However, as Sun Tzu himself points out, both may be necessary when wars are fought for real and not the amusement of nobles.

However, the koku cheat is a real blight on the AI's honor (such as it is) and if it is truly eradicated, the game is again a bit better.

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 07-09-2001).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member NinjaKilla's Avatar

No such thing as honour - just winning and losing!

------------------
    - Our girls fall for samurai and they'll go chasing after them.
    - If the bandits come they'll cut our heads off. We'll worry about the girls later.

if the ai was flesh and blood, it would have commited seppukku by now

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Sengoku, if you think in another angle, the opponents have just lured us into their traps.

There are many historical battles where the winner used a fake retreat, and lured the enemy (of a larger size) to chase over - and destroyed one by one.

However, I can totally understand how bad if this tactics is combined with "timer on".. they didn't really win. Except limited conditions (such as heavy fog and snow), we should still be able to find these hiding bastards before the time limit is out. Just send some fast moving scouts to each possible hiding place...

How can you say honour does not matter, honour is the true meaning of Bushido.

---------------------------

"Those who cling to life die, and those who defy death live." Uesugi Kenshin

Honour may be the true meaning of Bushido, but with all the back stabbing and quick switching of alliances in the Warring states period, honour has a way of losing to greed, ambition and just plain self-preservation.

Japan, a country of extremes.

Quote Originally posted by Sengoku:
    How can you say honour does not matter, honour is the true meaning of Bushido.

[/QUOTE]

to toughen up I suggest you play some of more "unusual players" online, thrashing the AI is then a pleasure

website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP_Campaign/.

Using deception and strategy is not dishonourable.
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

Dont forget the ally backstab

i played 1 2v2 and my ally was a turd, he just stood there, so i killed both enemies and turned on my ally and killed him, it was a friendly, hehe

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Something off-topic here:

Many skilled daimyo know how to make their soldiers honorable, and make them think that their daimyo is an honorable ruler...

Loyal man! This is why Bushido (and similar virtues) are welcomed and advocated by the rulers...

[This message has been edited by Maltz (edited 07-10-2001).]

I must admit, much as I hate the ally backstab, if I am in a good position to take a province it does not really matter to me whether or not I am allied. What I consider very dishonourable, however, is when the computer is going to lose anyway to my superior forces but rather than making the most of it and trying to kill some of my men the AI continues to flee. This is true dishonour, when the AI refuses to die.

-----------------------------

"Those who cling to life die, and those who defy death live." Uesugi Kenshin

------------------
    "It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it!"
    It's better to let the enemy alive as to kill it ... To TORTURE it