Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stele 8: release time...

Default Re: Stele 8: release time...

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Tellos, can someone have M2TW:K installed by both Steam and CD? If so, how does the registry reflect this? does it? If it does, then you might be able to reference the registry, say, using InstallShield, when making your installer and script it to allow the user to decide in which installation of the game she wishes to direct her EB install.
    I see the first part is already answered by XSamatan, so I'll confine myself to the latter part: we take the opposite approach. Instead of trying to force the user to make a decision about where to install EB we will try to make EB work with any *unused* location and older EB 2 installations. We default to installing somewhere in the user's home directory for a similar reason.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Tellos, good software engineering decision. Well done.

Quintus thanks for sharing your stubborn insight into why we are idiots, we who install software into the directory the operating system has specially constructed for that purpose. I am enlightened greatly.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Are there really people stupid enough to install their games in Program Files (especially those they are expecting to use mods for)?
    herp derp. y i so stupid. one day i hope i r can b smarts.

I've been installing games in program files since I started gaming on the PC about a decade ago. Also been modding them for as long. Have yet to encounter a problem. I think perhaps you just have a problem with people doing things a different way than you.
    EBII has finally released. All hail the EBII team!

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Its been said by a few of the above posters but I'd like to add my voice; why is Program Files sloppy file management? Why is having one folder better than having another folder by another name? Or worse still do you make dozens of little installation folders all over the place? I am quite satisfied having the whole lot sitting in one big mega folder and being able to sort through (quite easily) to the sub folders I need at any given time.

No need to be so obnoxious about your particular sorting methods being any better or worse than anyone else.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

It's not about sorting, the problems are the protective mechanisms of program files since (at least) Vista, which are problematic if a mod wants to override data.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Windows 7 have an in-built protection of the program files directory, which makes changing files quite hard and annoying. This is good in the case that some unwanted program wants to access program files, so that is why UAC should not be disabled. Instead, like have been said, it is better to create a new directory (i call mine "games") where to install your games, specially those which you plan to tweak any files (even configuration files or the like). If you run Windows XP this does not apply, and i fail to see how it is sloppy file management to install games you plan to mod on program files.

I have Win7 since summer, so far I haven't had any problems with mods on games. I installed all my games in Program files on D disk (there are only games in there), but it's not my default folder - windows wanted to install everything in Program Files (x86), I just erased that x86 part. Is my Program files folder still protected?

But even if it is, if mod has an installer windows ask you if you will allow that program to modify your files, if you choose yes doesn't that allow modifications? Or are there problems only with mods that you manually extract or install?

If you're not running the computer on an administrator-level account, then I can see the OS being over-protective. And rightfully so. But if you're like many people and are the only user of the computer, chances are you are on an admin account, and will thus have no problems (almost all of the time).

But of course, when people do things differently than you, or have anything unique about them, you should always be judgmental, aggressive toward their choices, and anything to simply display the clear superiority of your choices over theirs. Of course.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

I have UAC turned down. My steam overlay won't work correctly with non-steam games if it's on, so got no choice but disabling it.

Hmmmhmmm, quintus hasn't changed a bit after 1 year. Too bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12