Thread: Research on the Greek Hoplite

Default Research on the Greek Hoplite

Greece by the point of the Hellenistic age was very different from the Greece only a hundred years before. To start off, individual cities were now no longer individual powers through they're own right. The cities by now realized they couldn't fight the likes of the Makedonians, Seleucids, or other such powers. So the Greek cities response were federations. They attempted several, but the only one to really make a difference was the Achaean League. But before we can really talk about the nations, we need to know what the units were.

The "Argyspides" were not really a type of troop (outside of the Seleucid army, where they were the 10,000 "Royal Cohort") but rather simply a unit. Argyspides, Chalkaspydes, and Leukaspides. They are less like the "grenadier, riflemen, sniper" classification, and more the "1st division, 2nt division, and 3rd division" classification. Yes, those names are only used to name units, not troop types.

So what are the units? Generally most of Greece conformed to the Phalangate Phalanx used by Makedon, but there were a few exceptions, most notibly Sparta. Sparta would continue to use the old Hoplite were many years, and wouldn't switch to it's own version of the Phalangate. To really learn about the Greek units, we must learn of the reforms of Iphicrates and Philopoemen.

First, Iphicrates. Iphicrates was an Athenian General. He was known for reforming the "Peltast" of Athens. But there is some dispute over the meaning of that. Some believe he made the Skirmisher peltasts better armoured so they could get into the main battle line if needed. Others believe the "peltasts" were actually the mercenary hoplites. Regardless, he is known to have extended the spear lengths, and changing the linen armour to one of bronze. The Hoplonlaspis the Athens previously used was replaced by the lighter Peltast so they could better hold the spear. The peltasts (not known which "peltasts" they were) would crush an entire Mora of Spartan Hoplites (600 men would be crippling to Sparta). He showed his reforms to be very powerful. After that, the Athenian army consisted of stranded Phalangate, and the heavy Peltasts (Iphricratean).

Second, Philopoemen. This man would reform the entire Achaean Empire. Or.. at least it's military. Basically he made it into the same structure as the Makedonian Army.

Third, Sparta would also follow the Makedonian Phalanx after Cleomenes II reformed the army. The Boeotions would also reform by creating the "Peltophorio"

The Phalangite: The phalangite was the heart of the hellenic army, need I explain it's role?
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...he_phalanx.png Used by all greek states (still checking Syracuse and Sicily)

The Peltasts: Lighter infantry, these men would through javelins at the opposing forces. Once the enemies got close the Peltasts fled back, or sometimes got prepared to fight back (peltasts of the hellenic period were significantly better armoured and armed).
    http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...c9b8cd5711fb11 Used by ALL greek states.
    http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...bbf58f5b0bc9f5 Thracian Peltasts.

Thureophoroi: The Thureophoroi were considered a middle grounds between the Phalanx and the Peltasts. According to Plutarch, they operated as peltasts, but would then fall back and assume the phalanx formations, meaning they didn't actually need the phalangite in order to fight effectively. The ability to be independant along with their superior maneuverability meant they made perfect border and garrison troops. As a point, it would likely be very advantagious for someone in the game to make these men their main troop, with the phalanx being a small elite guard (or something of that manner), due to the much more evened out set of stats the thureophoroi have.
    http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...4ac88a97b0bcd5 Supposedly used by all greek states.

Thorakitai: powerful soldiers, armed with a spear, javelin, and sword. They were very armoured yet mobile, and capable of fighting as part of the actual phalanx itself. They were considered stronger versions of the Thureophoroi. So far only the Achaens and Seluecids were known to actually use them, though other states may have also.
    http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbn...93c2a4901bec8b

I'll try to find the cavalry types used in the hellenic armies soon. Again the biggest difference in the armies of Greece by this time was possibly colours and designs on the Aspis, and possibly minor changes in the Helmet. I'll also try to find out about the armies of Sicily and Syracuse. It is really hard trying to find examples of these troops without having to source pictures from other mods...
    Last edited by Iolaos; 10-30-2011 at 20:10. Reason: replaced hotlinked images

Member Member Lord President of Gallifrey's Avatar
    The High Council of the Timelords, Citadel of the Time Lords, Gallifrey, Constellation of Kasterborus.

Default Re: Research on the Greek Hoplite

Looks good so far, though there are a few points to remember

1. I would recommend finishing the whole thing and then updating the work (for future use). This prevents misinterpretations.

2. Make sure you talk about the evolution of the Greek City States and their warfare to 280 BC in future updates.

I can't do a large amount at once, I don't have that much time. And I was asked to talk about the units, if Asgaroth wants the evolution of the Greek city-states, he'll have to give me a little more time... I should have the units details done in three or four days, evolution of the city-states may take another two days. I can try to blitz it, but it may have a little bit of mistakes. I try to make sure I have two sources (or ore) before stating it here.

Iolaos, good job but only focus on troops around 280 B.C. dont worry about the classical age

I shall :) Hellenic age... I shall see what I can do

thanks.. keep working on the greek cities though because I need to know what troops they had to offer in the hellenic age

I've changed the OP to be of the Hellenic age. But like I said at the end of it, the unfortunate part is that the Greek cities had to surrender a deal of individuality to challenge the Makedonians. Athens army would have looked just like any other Greek force.

Great work!
    Can't wait to see some pictures. Whoever is a modeller can use the pictures as a guide to making their units

There are a few extra units I must look up, but I don't know if the greek states used them.