Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 3

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: Battlefield 3

Ugh, this and Modern Yawnfare are for me everything that is wrong with FPS, just CGI gallery shooters. I'll take RO2 over these any day. [/grumpy]
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    No doubt true, but changes nothing. And BF3 wasn't a flop, while it won't reach MW3 numbers, pre-selling 5M of anything at 60 bucks isn't likely to instill the gaming industry w/ a lot of desire to stop mimicking Hollywood with their sequel disease.
    Yes, but it likely would have sold just as well if they did not flip their finger in the face of PC gamers, just like the @$$80!3$ who made DX3. The entire industry knows how to do nothing but mindlessly follow the path of the latest franchises. They all one to appeal to a single audience and completely ignore all the other, potentially less profitable audiences out there. They are risk adverse, and they deem not copying the latest hits to be a risk. The only major player in the industry I can think of who put out a game that was a considerable risk recently is Valve, and look how well that did. Risks can cause great losses, but can also pull in big profits. You simply have to take risk intelligently, and not blindly. The whole industry is too stupid and too afraid of losing to do that.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Ugh, this and Modern Yawnfare are for me everything that is wrong with FPS, just CGI gallery shooters. I'll take RO2 over these any day. [/grumpy]
    They cater to different species of gamers. RO2 is a strong realistic shooter while BF3 and MW3 focus more on the arcade part.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    No BF3 for me then.
    xD What were you expecting. BF series have never been single player games. The campaign in BC1 sucked, the one in BC2 sucked, the one in BF3 sucked, there were none before that.
    All the campaigns do now is look pretty but hey, that can be said of every new FPS these days.
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 11-12-2011 at 03:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    xD Wtf were you expecting. BF series have never been single player games. The campaign in BC1 sucked, the one in BC2 sucked, the one in BF3 sucked, there were none before that.
    All the campaigns do now is look pretty but hey, that can be said of every new FPS these days.
    My internet has always sucked, so I have played SP and occasionally lanned. For me, SP was all there was.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4 View Post
    xD What were you expecting. BF series have never been single player games. The campaign in BC1 sucked, the one in BC2 sucked, the one in BF3 sucked, there were none before that.
    I have to say, despite the lack of campaign, the 1942 Single Player was real fun.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

FPS stands for First Person Shooter so I'm not sure what's with expecting shooting action from a game that does not exclusively specify itself as multiplayer.

Yeah, the trend may be MMFPS especially about those 2 series but I've loved the cinematic experience of CODMW2 I was sucked in and I'd like more of it.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    FPS stands for First Person Shooter so I'm not sure what's with expecting shooting action from a game that does not exclusively specify itself as multiplayer.

Yeah, the trend may be MMFPS especially about those 2 series but I've loved the cinematic experience of CODMW2 I was sucked in and I'd like more of it.
    funny you should use the word cinematic, that would be exactly the reason why i hate it

shooter on rails that plays like you're watching a movie not actually playing the game is exactly what's wrong with the last two cod's

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

funny you should use the word cinematic, that would be exactly the reason why i hate it

shooter on rails that plays like you're watching a movie not actually playing the game is exactly what's wrong with the last two cod's
    But if you like that kinda thing COD is just the thing you like, can't say they can't put up a great show, nobody does it better.

@LEN BF3 campaign is ok, the awesome graphics help a lot. Haven't played MW3 heard it also looks great, but in MW2 the engine really showed it's age

Fair enough Fragony, I'll agree with that. I'm not one to argue someone else out of what they like.

For me though, I'm reflexively repulsed by any game that stoops to forcing me to view their handy work by grabbing my face the whole ride and forcing me to gape at their work, it feels like summer time blockbusters for 14 year olds mixed with a Disney ride.

Fair enough Fragony, I'll agree with that. I'm not one to argue someone else out of what they like.

For me though, I'm reflexively repulsed by any game that stoops to forcing me to view their handy work by grabbing my face the whole ride and forcing me to gape at their work, it feels like summer time blockbusters for 14 year olds mixed with a Disney ride.
    QFT
    Honestly my politics and my taste in video games are extremely similar. The thing I value above all other things is freedom. The freedom to install it where I want, the freedom to tweek the game if I am not satisfied (thanks for letting me down there CA), the freedom to play as many mods as I like, the freedom to go anywhere and do anything within reason. I believe that it was Tim Stellmach who said once to a group of Video Game Design students that if you put even one unnecessary barrier to the player in your game, than you can count your game a complete failure. A game is not supposed to be about game designers creating an experience, but about the power of allowing gamers to create their own experience. What I have always loved about the Battlefield franchise is the ability to go anywhere and do anything with as much freedom as a game designer could possibly give you. The greatest video games are ones where you can create you own, awesome experiences, then look back and know that you, not some character you have no control over, just did something really cool.

When you take that away from BF, it ceases to become battlefield and becomes another worthless COD-clone.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Well I'm still thrilled with that mission in Brazil you had to run away in and out of the houses and all over rooftops like a rat in a cage of cats. CoD had delivered what I liked by then and I'm looking for similar experiences in a FPS game.

Anyho, it seems it's a matter of different tastes.

Frag, noted.

Indeed. I'm no fan I play through it once between multiplayer sessions, it's hard to feel cheated even if campaign can be beaten in a day. Nobody ever complains about the Half-Life or Uncharted games being scripted. Got no COD game in any top 10 but it are good games, not really for me but good nonetheless

Can't edit, article vukkie and easytarget should apreciate. It's kinda true of course, FPS games are a shadow of the glory of the first Rainbow-Six games and No One Lives Forever (best shooter ever made imho) or even Halo. Let's not even get me started on System Shock 2 and Thief

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212380p1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Indeed. I'm no fan I play through it once between multiplayer sessions, it's hard to feel cheated even if campaign can be beaten in a day. Nobody ever complains about the Half-Life or Uncharted games being scripted. Got no COD game in any top 10 but it are good games, not really for me but good nonetheless
    That is because those games are built around scripted events (even so, they offer more freedom than COD). No one is saying you cannot have games with scripted events. People get mad when they take a non-scripted game like BF that they loved and sell-out. I enjoyed Half-life, but never half as much as BF 1942 and BF 2.

Can't edit, article vukkie and easytarget should apreciate. It's kinda true of course, FPS games are a shadow of the glory of the first Rainbow-Six games and No One Lives Forever (best shooter ever made imho) or even Halo. Let's not even get me started on System Shock 2 and Thief

I agree with most of the article. As far as No One Lives Forever, I have never played that, but have heard from lots of my friends that it is excellent (mostly Thief and DX fans TBH), so I decided to go out and buy it today. After all, I don't live forever, so I might as well play it before I die. lol

I don't like to oversell games, it interferes with subsequent player enjoyment, on the other hand, you do need to pitch something occasionally that truly is a gem in order to get it played.

NOLF is one of those games. Classic SP FPS. Sure the graphics are a bit dated, been awhile since it came out, but it's solid entertainment.

Yep, I agree with most of the article. Here is a reference to what I consider the amount of freedom and choice most modern FPS SP games provide the player (I threw out a link because I suspect most of you aren't old enough to of actually seen and played this game): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon%27s_Lair

Note the section under Gameplay. And when they say "instead of controlling the character", they don't do the game justice in how stupid it was, you literally watched the game play itself and hit a button (yeah, one lousy button) at certain points, it was literally, a button masher with zero control over the game.

And just like the MW3, it made a ton of money at point of release.

'As far as No One Lives Forever, I have never played that, but have heard from lots of my friends that it is excellent (mostly Thief and DX fans TBH), so I decided to go out and buy it today.'

Ow! Sir you are in for a real treat, it's pure genius from beginning to end, excellent AI, full of whacky humour and bursting with variety. And Cate Archer is the coolest heroin in video-gaming history, period. Oh and that soundtrack..

sniff

'As far as No One Lives Forever, I have never played that, but have heard from lots of my friends that it is excellent (mostly Thief and DX fans TBH), so I decided to go out and buy it today.'

Ow! Sir you are in for a real treat, it's pure genius from beginning to end, excellent AI, full of whacky humour and bursting with variety. And Cate Archer is the coolest heroin in video-gaming history, period. Oh and that soundtrack..

sniff
    lol, I saw some vids online and it reminded me of MDK2 with its over-the-top humour. I gotta admit, it does look really funny.
    *Abandon ship! Abandon ship!*
    Did he say ship, or sheep?
    Ship, why?
    Oh, no reason...
    I just gotta stop watching all the videos or I will know all the jokes before I play the game. :P

Yep, I got to say, NOLF is one of those games that reminds me of really good books that end, and leave you wishing you had them to read again, but there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.

I envy you, enjoy it!
    Last edited by easytarget; 11-15-2011 at 15:21.

Blog Entries

It's still the same story as cod though russia is evil/U.S.A dominate. or something like that

Right, because it's a spy spoof riffing off the 60's cold war period.
    Last edited by easytarget; 11-15-2011 at 15:48.

Yep, I got to say, NOLF is one of those games that reminds me of really good books that end, and leave you wishing you had them to read again, but there's no putting the genie back in the bottle.

I envy you, enjoy it!

Aye to that, the moments where the awesome main theme kicks in is when you realise you are playing pure gold. Shame about the sequel, it just left me cold

Agreed, sequels are tough to pull off, most don't succeed. That's OK though, it detracts nothing from the first one's genius, just means that anyone reading this thread will know the place to start and end is with the first one.

WTVuk no writedown yet? I hope that is because you are too busy with being in HARM's way. I DEMAND A REVIEW, and it should include the words 'yes' and 'indeed' at least twice.

WTVuk no writedown yet? I hope that is because you are too busy with being in HARM's way. I DEMAND A REVIEW, and it should include the words 'yes' and 'indeed' at least twice.
    lol, NOLF and NOLF 2 have both shipped, but neither have arrived yet. And when they do, I am going to at least try to resist installing them until Winter break.
    I think I would fail my classes if I started playing them. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    I agree with most of the article. As far as No One Lives Forever, I have never played that, but have heard from lots of my friends that it is excellent (mostly Thief and DX fans TBH), so I decided to go out and buy it today. After all, I don't live forever, so I might as well play it before I die. lol
    Well I liked NOLF. But I hated Deus Ex, and refuse to play any other games in the series (hated it that much). And the first 2 Thief games were unplayable trash. Third one was alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharoah View Post
    It's still the same story as cod though russia is evil/U.S.A dominate. or something like that
    In the 60's that makes sense. In MW2 it's even more ridiculous than the same storyline was in Red Dawn 25 years ago. China might have been more realistic, but you want to able to sell the game in China........
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Well I liked NOLF. But I hated Deus Ex, and refuse to play any other games in the series (hated it that much). And the first 2 Thief games were unplayable trash. Third one was alright.
    You are lucky that there are rules in place that forbid it lars, otherwise you would have so many obscenities coming your way that you would not know where to put them...or maybe you would...but that is not my business. I will leave it at this: go to h...ome base. :)

My "grand-father" (my mom was Roman adopted) was a sailor. There's PM's, come at me bro!

And that last reference makes no sense to someone who never got past the first few levels of Thief 1 or 2, or Deus Ex. They were that bad. Especially Thief 2. Taffing Hammer prison......
    Last edited by lars573; 11-20-2011 at 18:14.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    And the first 2 Thief games were unplayable trash. Third one was alright.
    Que wut, first two Thief games are pure genius. Third one is a crime against humanity

By the way, I am right behind you right now

Especially Thief 2. Taffing Hammer prison......

That's Thief 1
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-20-2011 at 18:36.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast