Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battlefield 3

Default Re: Battlefield 3

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Que wut, first two Thief games are pure genius. Third one is a crime against humanity

By the way, I am right behind you right now

Especially Thief 2. Taffing Hammer prison......

That's Thief 1
    QFT
    Thief 1&2 are amongst the best games ever made. (second only to DX1 IMHO) Thief 3 was an insult to the first games and to all the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    My "grand-father" (my mom was Roman adopted) was a sailor. There's PM's, come at me bro!

And that last reference makes no sense to someone who never got past the first few levels of Thief 1 or 2, or Deus Ex. They were that bad. Especially Thief 2. Taffing Hammer prison......
    You never got past the first few levels? I bet that if you had played them farther you would have had a different opinion. Sure, they are not the addictive twitch shooters like the first Unreal Tournament, but their beauty lies in their storyline and depth. Also, the gameplay is some of the best in the world if you have the patience for it. Thief 2 and DX had me captivated from the get-go. Thief 1 I did find a little slow at first, but you just need to give it a little bit of time and it will draw you in.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Guys, let's keep it respectful.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    QFT
    Thief 1&2 are amongst the best games ever made. (second only to DX1 IMHO) Thief 3 was an insult to the first games and to all the fans.
    The only thing preventing me from strapping up explosives is the Cradle. That was awesome. Nowhere as scary as Thief 1 but what is?

JOIN US, JOIN US NOWWWWW
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-20-2011 at 19:14.

You never got past the first few levels? I bet that if you had played them farther you would have had a different opinion. Sure, they are not the addictive twitch shooters like the first Unreal Tournament, but their beauty lies in their storyline and depth. Also, the gameplay is some of the best in the world if you have the patience for it. Thief 2 and DX had me captivated from the get-go. Thief 1 I did find a little slow at first, but you just need to give it a little bit of time and it will draw you in.
    Which would never happen. The game play made me see red. Plus everything about Deus Ex ripped off the Matrix.

Que wut, first two Thief games are pure genius. Third one is a crime against humanity
    I disagree. The third Thief is no masterpiece, but it's leagues better than the others, which are unplayable.

By the way, I am right behind you right now
    I have a $70,000 sliver of radioactive meteor to stop the one from Metropolis, with you all I need is a penny for a book of matches.

That's Thief 1
    Really? Then I guess I'm getting the numbering mixed up, all the burned copy my brother got hold had on it was Thief. It's been so long.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Plus everything about Deus Ex ripped off the Matrix. I think Deus Ex is older than The Matrix, but even if it isn't, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Matrix.

I disagree. The third Thief is no masterpiece, but it's leagues better than the others, which are unplayable. No problem here, still play them in fact (fan missions that is I WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH)

Which would never happen. The game play made me see red. Plus everything about Deus Ex ripped off the Matrix.
    Why exactly? Was it too hard for you? Honestly, that is the impression I am getting.
    Also, the only similarities between DX and the Matrix was that the main characters wore trench coats and sun glasses. Unless I am mistaken, DX's development began before the matrix was release, and DX was released a year later.
    I disagree. The third Thief is no masterpiece, but it's leagues better than the others, which are unplayable.
    No, they are not unplayable, as the fact that thousands of gamers can play through them proves. What do you mean by unplayable? Too difficult? Not interesting? What?

And for your insulting Thief I have only one thing to say to you "MY HAMMER AWAITS THEE!!"
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

I disagree. The third Thief is no masterpiece, but it's leagues better than the others, which are unplayable. No problem here, still play them in fact (fan missions that is I WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH)
    Have you ever played Too Good To Be True? My sis made that one for a contest. :P It was the second mission she ever made.

Have you ever played Too Good To Be True? My sis made that one for a contest. :P It was the second mission she ever made.
    Will check it out.

And Thief 4 better be good or there will be blood. Thief 3 has not been forgiven.

Will check it out.

And Thief 4 better be good or there will be blood. Thief 3 has not been forgiven.
    If DX 3 and the few things leaked out about Thief 4 are true, then it will be even worse. Kinda makes you wish you could line up everyone at EM and punch 'em all in the face. (of course I would never want to do that, because I am a peace loving man)

I think Deus Ex is older than The Matrix, but even if it isn't, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Matrix.
    Deus Ex came out a year after the Matrix. Or if your me and played the PS2 version, 2002.

No problem here, still play them in fact (fan missions that is I WILL NEVER HAVE ENOUGH)
    So? Doesn't mean they were good. I still play RTW and M2TW on occasion. Or Red Alert 2.

Why exactly? Was it too hard for you? Honestly, that is the impression I am getting.
    Also, the only similarities between DX and the Matrix was that the main characters wore trench coats and sun glasses. Unless I am mistaken, DX's development began before the matrix was release, and DX was released a year later.
    When I played Deus Ex it came off like a cheap Matrix clone with crap game play. Thief wasn't too hard. I have an innate tendency to go at things backwards or sideways the first time. And both games penalized me for that. Thief especially.

No, they are not unplayable, as the fact that thousands of gamers can play through them proves. What do you mean by unplayable? Too difficult? Not interesting? What?
    Partly not that interesting. Partly poor overall game design, crap controls and wonky half baked gameplay mechanics.

And for your insulting Thief I have only one thing to say to you "MY HAMMER AWAITS THEE!!"
    Yawn. Your hammers are weak and poorly fashioned. Dai-katanna was the better Ionstorm game. Well the N64 version with no voice track.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

When I played Deus Ex it came off like a cheap Matrix clone with crap game play. Thief wasn't too hard. I have an innate tendency to go at things backwards or sideways the first time. And both games penalized me for that. Thief especially.
    It is absolutely nothing like the Matrix. I cannot see how you could play it and come away with that opinion. Also, I cannot see how you can say that the games penalized you for doing things different ways. That is what the games are famous for! (esp DX) The great thing about DX is that you can complete your objectives in any realistic order in almost anyway you can imagine. I really cannot see how you could have came away with that impression.

Partly not that interesting. Partly poor overall game design, crap controls and wonky half baked gameplay mechanics.
    The levels were genius. The controls were fully customizable, intelligent, and minimalist, while still allowing so much control for those who wanted it. What is wonky about the gameplay mechanics? Thief had the best stealth gameplay of any game till this day.

Yawn. Your hammers are weak and poorly fashioned. Dai-katanna was the better Ionstorm game. Well the N64 version with no voice track.
    Vile weed! FOR KARRAS, AND THE BUILDER!

Kinda curious, what do you feel Deus Ex ripped of from the Matrix? Can think of absolutely nothing and that isn't because I'm not trying

What the heck does this have to do with BF3?
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Absolutely nothing wees sneaksies stoleth the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    What the heck does this have to do with BF3?
    SS, SS2, Deus Ex 1, Thief 1, Thief 2 (in that order) are the most formative games in gaming history. They defined the direction that modern games went in. Look at other games of their time, and then look at them. See how many elements of a modern shooter they have that games of their time simply did not. (esp SS)
    So I guess you could say that a discussion of these foundational games is relevant to the discussion of any video game.
    Ok, maybe that is a little weak. :P

That, and we are fanboys, or better, loyal sluts. If you think the Fallout fans should be handled with care think again. In his youthfull folly Lars534 has upset the ballance and now our wrath is clawing it's way out into this world. And we said let it be so

It is the truth. Thief and Deus Ex (Thief esp though I think) fans are probably the most loyal and the most passionate in the world. In a lot of ways they are more than just games to us, they are something that has shaped the way we think and look at the world. In a sense, they are part of us, and yet greater. They are a paragon for what games should be, an ideal the industry should strive for.
    When you insult them, you bring down the wrath of the Builder.

Speaking of loyalty BTW, if you ever want to join Vuk in making your very own Hammerite suit of armour and hammer, here are some dimensions he pulled from concept art to help you!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Calculations For Hammer Dimensions Assuming Hammerite Guard is 6 feet tall. (based on rough conversion of Dromed units, info from interviews, and studying of concept art. You can do your own calculations for your individual height to get your own customized hammer though )
    {
    76 pixels = 1 Foot
    6.3333333333333333333333333333333 Pixels = 1 Inch
    Height = 456 pixels
    Height = 6 feet
    Height = 72 Inches

Hammer height = 278 pixels
    Hammer height = 3.6578947368421052631578947368421 feet
    Hammer height = 43.894736842105263157894736842104 Inches

Hammer Handle Height = 247 Pixels
    Hammer Handle Height = 3.25 Feet
    Hammer Handle Height = 39 Inches

Hammer Handle Circumference = 9 Pixels
    Hammer Handle Circumference = 0.11842105263157894736842105263158 Feet
    Hammer Handle Circumference = 1.4210526315789473684210526315789 Inches

Hammer Head Height = 31 pixels
    Hammer Head Height = 0.40789473684210526315789473684211 feet
    Hammer Head Height = 4.894736842105263157894736842104 Inches

Hammer head width (with taper) = 56 pixels
    Hammer head width (with taper) = 0.73684210526315789473684210526316 feet
    Hammer head width (with taper) = 8.842105263157894736842105263156 Inches

Hammer head width (without taper) = 45 pixels
    Hammer head width (without taper) = 0.59210526315789473684210526315789 feet
    Hammer head width (without taper) = 7.105263157894736842105263157884 Inches

Angle of Taper = 45
    }
    Last edited by Vuk; 11-21-2011 at 17:14.

WTVuk no writedown yet? I hope that is because you are too busy with being in HARM's way. I DEMAND A REVIEW, and it should include the words 'yes' and 'indeed' at least twice.
    lol, I broke down over Thanksgiving and played through it. Here is my review. (short and sweet)

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Anyone here actively enjoying Battlefield 3?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I was. Before something wacky happened with a patch and my performance dropped. Still go on every now and then. A lot of fun, I just dont have the time that I used to, and the time I do have is spent in Deus Ex: HR or Crusader Kings 2.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Used to, when it first came out, then I reached some tipping point with EA, not sure what the last asshat sort of thing they did that pushed me over, but at any rate, I uninstalled Origin and I've decided to never buy another game published by EA.

I'd pretty much already reached my limit with the sameness of every modern shooter, the entire genre feels like Westerns were back in the day, it's as if the devs and publishers can't be bothered to show any imagination whatsoever in developing games. It's all interchangeably boring.

Time is on my side though, and I've got plenty to occupy my time. Just as westerns, which in their hey day were no doubt seen as something that would never come to an end, it will. Probably about the time they pull their heads out far enough to realize game purchasing demographics have moved well past 14 year old boys.

I still play regularly on the 360.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Oh, also the whole Premium thing is dampening my liking of it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Tried to but it's too overwhelming in scope for my liking, I do sometimes play team deathmatch but not the Rush and Conquest modes.

A bit of a thread resurrection, but BF3 is available for free up until today on the Origin Store.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

In case you want to feel old, this incredible gameplay trailer, with the famous tank battle presentation, is 5 years old.

Proud

Been to:

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123