Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Org Minecraft Server

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Org Minecraft Server

I finally found some slimes and managed to make six sticky pistons... then I realized I didn't really need sticky pistons to make the railway work.

Anyway, the first section of the railway from my place to Scienter's is now operational. I've put up signs explaining how it works, but will post it here as well for clarity. All you do is place a minecart on the downward sloping rail in the station you are in. Then, enter the minecart, and hit the button. You will then go to the next station and stop. At that point, if you want to continue to the next station on the line, just hit the button again and you'll keep going. When you reach your final destination, get out of the cart, remove the cart from the track, and place it in the dispenser at whichever station you are at.

It's not the best system in the world, but it works and that's good enough for now. I will be extending the rail line to the pyramid tomorrow, and from there to the noob hotel and then to Csargo's lighthouse. Once we have an operational railway, we can begin looking at more user-friendly systems.

The Breath of God Member Divine Wind's Avatar

Good work on the rail system! I'll have a go when I get back from work.

Is it easy to get animals to follow you over water? I found a lot of animals north of my home across the water. Was considering making an underground animal farm.

Did you need any items for the noob hotel since the problems yesterday? I have a lot of spare resources.
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    -Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tried to make it so the Pyramid had a multi-junction which one goes to the hotel and the other goes to Csargo since it is inbetween them, then have those two linked (creating a loop). Didn't go exactly to plan, having some redstone troubles.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind View Post
    Is it easy to get animals to follow you over water? I found a lot of animals north of my home across the water. Was considering making an underground animal farm.
    They move a lot slower. If it's a long distance over water, it might be a very annoying trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wind View Post
    Did you need any items for the noob hotel since the problems yesterday? I have a lot of spare resources.
    It was fine last I checked. We restocked it with most of the essentials and we don't get new players too frequently so they don't get depleted rapidly. Actually, until yesterday it seemed like people actually put more stuff into the place than they took out.

I do need to do another expansion on the spawn building though. I respawned there a day or two ago after a death and still fell in the water. On reading up, it seems spawning can occur in a 20x20 box around the center point, so the building needs to be larger to accommodate that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    Tried to make it so the Pyramid had a multi-junction which one goes to the hotel and the other goes to Csargo since it is inbetween them, then have those two linked (creating a loop). Didn't go exactly to plan, having some redstone troubles.
    Good luck with that, multi-destination railway stations for use on multiplayer servers have been about the most complex constructions I've seen yet in minecraft. If you get a system working, you can teach the rest of us so we can implement it in our various stops.

I think it would also be a decent idea to eventually extend the railways out into the wilderness, to make it easier for people to expand. It's not a coincidence that most of the construction has occurred along the main highway from the noob hotel to Scienter's place, and along the extension to my place. People want to build near transport networks, so putting out rail lines to currently undeveloped biomes might get people building out there as well. Plus, it will make exploration a bit easier as well. That's something to consider after we've hooked up all the main areas though.

For the record, I think we should try and always have the railway line be elevated or underground for security purposes. As you can see from the main road, lighting doesn't guarantee safety on flat ground because the mobs will spawn in the dark area and then walk into the lighted area. The last thing anyone wants while riding in a minecart is to see a creeper on the tracks ahead of them, with no way to stop the cart. If we keep the line elevated at least a few squares, then nothing will be able to wander onto it. The same would work for underground rails that are in completely confined tunnels.
    Last edited by TinCow; 11-09-2011 at 17:29.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Good luck with that, multi-destination railway stations for use on multiplayer servers have been about the most complex constructions I've seen yet in minecraft. If you get a system working, you can teach the rest of us so we can implement it in our various stops.
    I saw a video on how to do a two-way switch on youtube which was very similar to my own, but the problem with mine is that the track piece is surrounded on 4 sides and even putting redstone underneath the block doesn't seem to be working, which is causing the problems.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

I saw a video on how to do a two-way switch on youtube which was very similar to my own, but the problem with mine is that the track piece is surrounded on 4 sides and even putting redstone underneath the block doesn't seem to be working, which is causing the problems.
    Post the video you're looking at, I'm curious to see which one you're working off of. This is the one I was following for version 2 of the station:

I liked the idea of it automatically shuffling the carts around so that no picking up/placing of carts was required. However, that led to the issue where we would have needed an ungodly amount of gold to create enough powered rails to propel an empty cart up our hills. I didn't see that as feasible.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I'm starting to enjoy this little game. Obsidian mining takes a while but is beautiful and can make a tidy little fortress.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Seems like the server went down. Ended up distracted with other things with it on in the background. Now I can no longer find the server.

Sorry about that, I'll get it back up when I get home in a few hours. The housekeeper should be there about now, so it's possible she hit the power cord or something.

Worth noting as well that Scienter and I will both be pre-loading Skyrim tonight, so there might be a bit of lag if Steam eats up too much of the bandwidth.

Blog Entries

There is an easy way to fix it if you have the ability to transfer within your network. Only one of you preloads it and then send a copy of the preload to the other.

Might be faster.

There is an easy way to fix it if you have the ability to transfer within your network. Only one of you preloads it and then send a copy of the preload to the other.

Might be faster.
    Hmmm... never thought of that. I may give that a try, as an internal transfer would definitely be faster than a second d/l.

If you guys ever need obsidian let me know. I'm getting really good at this.

The only side effect is the infinite amount of water generated.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Seems like the server went down. Ended up distracted with other things with it on in the background. Now I can no longer find the server.
    It wasn't a server problem, my router lost connection for some reason. I've reset it and my connection appears to be working again, so the server should be reachable again.

NOTE: I just realized that my home IP address has changed. The new IP for the server is 74.96.163.86
    Last edited by TinCow; 11-11-2011 at 00:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post

Are you mining in the wild or in an artificial obsidian farm? I ask, because an obsidian farm shouldn't generate excess water, and it's also much safer.

Both? I found a mulch-chambered lava source in a deep mine and have been cooling it to make obsidian.

I'm doing some single player experiments. Since water moves faster than lava I'm using it to counter lava flows when mining. Depending on the distribution of bedrock, I seem to generate extra water. I had to waste some of it because I ran out of buckets. I would dump one bucket in an area and easily recover two after a lot of digging. Maybe it's a bug.

Down with dried flowers!

Water can produce infinite water. A water block becomes 'harvestable' when the water is at the maximum height in the block. If there are multiple 'source' water blocks next to a single block, they will fill it to the max height and thus make that block a source as well.

More info here:
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Wa...ng_Duplication

For me, I prefer to farm obsidian because of the hazards of multi-layer lava sources, where the obsidian block drops into the lava level below it and burns up before it can be grabbed. Let's just say I had some bad accidents in a previous world...

Okay, two questions:

When I download 1.9.5, I get a .zip. Am I supposed to extract these files before I replace the originals with them, or leave them as a .zip?

How do you start minecraft? I ask because there is no "Play Minecraft" option anywhere I can see, which has been forceing me to start minecraft by redownloading it everytime I want to play it (From this page: http://www.minecraft.net/download). That means that the minecraft I have installed on my computer isn't actually being used, if my interpretation is correct. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Populus Romanus View Post
    Okay, two questions:

When I download 1.9.5, I get a .zip. Am I supposed to extract these files before I replace the originals with them, or leave them as a .zip?

How do you start minecraft? I ask because there is no "Play Minecraft" option anywhere I can see, which has been forceing me to start minecraft by redownloading it everytime I want to play it (From this page: http://www.minecraft.net/download). That means that the minecraft I have installed on my computer isn't actually being used, if my interpretation is correct. What am I missing?
    You are using the wrong version, 1.9.5 only comes in .jar format, so if you're getting an .exe that's the wrong download. Follow the instructions in this post. All you have to do is replace a single file (minecraft.jar) from the original installation, then it will run as normal. You should not be re-downloading the file each time. Download it once, put it in a folder, and run it. Then just click the exe, or a shortcut to the exe, each time you want to play.

All right I managed to log in. My nick is diain.

Edit:
    Tincow can you please send me the map file? I want to look around a bit in peaceful mode first.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 11-11-2011 at 09:24.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Water can produce infinite water. A water block becomes 'harvestable' when the water is at the maximum height in the block. If there are multiple 'source' water blocks next to a single block, they will fill it to the max height and thus make that block a source as well.

More info here:
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Wa...ng_Duplication

For me, I prefer to farm obsidian because of the hazards of multi-layer lava sources, where the obsidian block drops into the lava level below it and burns up before it can be grabbed. Let's just say I had some bad accidents in a previous world...
    Yea, but this is from a single bucket. I've been burned on numerous occasions but the fact that water flows faster than lava helps mitigate the risk. It occasionally helps flush some deposits from tight spots.

It's a handy building material and the most reliable exotic. Now I need to find a way to predict gold deposits to help you guys with your powered rails.

Down with dried flowers!

You are using the wrong version, 1.9.5 only comes in .jar format, so if you're getting an .exe that's the wrong download. Follow the instructions in this post. All you have to do is replace a single file (minecraft.jar) from the original installation, then it will run as normal. You should not be re-downloading the file each time. Download it once, put it in a folder, and run it. Then just click the exe, or a shortcut to the exe, each time you want to play.
    How do you replace the old version? I can't copy and past the new one on top the old, and don't know how else to do it other than that.

How do you replace the old version? I can't copy and past the new one on top the old, and don't know how else to do it other than that.
    Why can't you copy paste? Maybe you have Minecraft running while you try to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    Why can't you copy paste? Maybe you have Minecraft running while you try to do it?
    I do get an odd message when I attempt to open minecraft.jar:

Failed to load Main-Class attribute manifest

Any clue what that means? I noticed all the other .jars have the same message.

===EDIT===

Would simply deleting the old minecraft.jar and then moving the new into the same place, then renaming it minecraft.jar work?
    Last edited by Populus Romanus; 11-11-2011 at 18:33.

Would simply deleting the old minecraft.jar and then moving the new into the same place, then renaming it minecraft.jar work?
    Yes.

Blog Entries

You probably did what I did. Tried to replace the .exe with the .jar

What you do is simply replace one of the sub files with that.

YES! It worked. Thank for the help!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N5SUSIFY

For those of you not busy slaying dragons, above is a link to my most recent Minecraft save file. I'm dedicating my work to Tincow and all the others that helped get me involved in the game. It should spawn you at X -272, Z 442.5. Please let me know if you experience any problems.

I wanted to spend most of my time in single player to ensure I had a copy of the file. Mostly though, I fell in love with the map. My intent is to figure out redstone circuitry as it's taking up a lot of storage space.

I encourage any comments or critiques.

Down with dried flowers!

You know if you have enough Obsidian you should think about making a Nether gate...

You know if you have enough Obsidian you should think about making a Nether gate...

If we can get our hands on some Netherrack (spl?) then we can make light without using torches. Those blocks burn for ever.

Where is everybody? Server seems strangely empty now.

Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast