Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 2594

Thread: Org Minecraft Server

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Org Minecraft Server

The Arena finally has a purpose!
    The Arena is now the place for gladiatorial-style combat against waves of mobs! To play, all you need to do is enter the Arena and then type /ma join. There is a sign on the fountain with this information if you forget. Once you type this command, you will be transported to a lobby to prepare for battle. All of your inventory items will be removed (don't worry, you get them all back later once the fighting is done) and you will find yourself in an enclosed room with a lot of signs and an iron block. Along one wall will be rows of signs with names of 'classes.' Punch a class to select it, and you will receive a customized inventory appropriate for that class. If you don't like what you chose, simply punch another sign and your inventory will change. When you are ready to fight, punch the iron block. There will be instructions in there explaining this for you if you forget. If you are going to play with other people, make sure everyone is in the lobby before you punch the iron block. No one can join once combat has begun, so gave everyone together in the lobby first. When there are multiple people in the lobby, combat will only begin once all of them have punched the iron block.

Once everyone has punched the iron block, you will be teleported to the center of the Arena combat floor. You will have a short time to prepare, and then waves of enemies will begin spawning. Defeat each wave to spawn the next one. Waves will alternate between normal waves, special waves (tougher mobs), swarm waves (many weak mobs), and boss waves (single very tough mobs). Various rewards are given at certain points during combat. The longer you last, the better the rewards will get. I have enabled XP drops in the system as well, so you will gain XP for everything you kill, and you'll carry that XP over when you die. When you die you will be transported to the spectator seating area. If other players are still alive, you can watch them finish the combat from there. If you are the last person to die, then the combat will end and the Arena will be cleared of mobs and items. To leave spectating mode, type /ma leave. You will be teleported back to the spot you were at when you typed /ma join and your inventory will be restored to you. You can also type /ma leave at any time (in the lobby, or even in combat) to abort and leave. It is much easier to progress farther in the Arena if you have multiple people playing, so get other people to come join you!

A few final notes:
    1) The plugin makes the entire combat area and lobby indestructible, so you will not be able to modify large portions of the Arena. If you want to modify it in some way in an area that is blocked, let me know and I'll temporarily disable the protection.
    2) Rain hurts blazes, which makes them easy to kill in that kind of weather. To avoid this issue, I have changed most of the interior of the Arena to a desert biome.
    3) The combat floor access stairs remain intact and functional, but the Arena is not meant to be exit-able during combat. Please keep the stairs closed while fighting. Similarly, spectators are not supposed to be able to help combatants. Please do not enter the combat floor if you are not fighting. If people start exploiting the original design of the Arena to make combat easier, I'll have to modify the Arena design to keep anyone from entering my means other than the MobArena system. That would suck, so please play fair.
    4) The current configuration of the Arena is nor permanent and I plan on tweaking it to improve it over time. If you have suggestions for changes/additions to the classes, waves, bosses, or rewards, please post them.

Members thankful for this post (4):

I ran into a weird problem with the server map last night. The map shows a dungeon located at X:880 Z:492, but in the game I couldn't find it. I started from the top and dug all the way down to the bedrock without running into it. I also found a small cavern that doesn't show up on the map while looking for the dungeon.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Excellent TC!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    I ran into a weird problem with the server map last night. The map shows a dungeon located at X:880 Z:492, but in the game I couldn't find it. I started from the top and dug all the way down to the bedrock without running into it. I also found a small cavern that doesn't show up on the map while looking for the dungeon.
    The map isn't 100% reliable for coordinates. The problem, I think, is the isometric view. Because of the how the view is rendered, I think the cursor is considered to be 'over' a spot which isn't necessarily what it is pointing to. Instead, it's over what's below it isometrically, which should be directly down a bit. For that reason, when looking up coordinates on the map it's best to consider those to be rough estimates only. They will generally be close, but don't use them for navigation alone as you could be a dozen squares off or more. In addition, the cave map only shows the top-most cave on any specific section. Any deeper caves won't show up if there's an underground cavity of some kind above them which obscures the view.

Member thankful for this post:

Tuuvi 

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

For the MobArena, the time between waves is too short. I find myself being destroyed by a new wave when I'm trying to heal from the last wave. Is it possible to increase the duration by a few seconds?

EDIT: Are you planning on adding the leaderboards thing?
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 11-13-2012 at 02:38.

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    For the MobArena, the time between waves is too short. I find myself being destroyed by a new wave when I'm trying to heal from the last wave. Is it possible to increase the duration by a few seconds?
    Not on the current settings. The only settings there are for delays on waves are (1) requiring that the entire wave be cleared before the next spawns and (2) setting the time between wave spawns. Unfortunately, if I select (1) it disables (2). So, the only options are the current setup where the next wave starts instantly after the last mob is killed, or a setup where I can set a fixed interval which may give you extra time... but you might also end up with the next wave spawning before you've even finished the previous one. The current setup seems a bit easier, so I think it's better to stick with that.

I think that progress to high level waves will require 3+ people with coordinated classes and some kind of strategy. Some interesting terrain in the arena might help as well.

EDIT: Are you planning on adding the leaderboards thing?
    Yes, but one step at a time. From what I've read they're still a long way from being perfected, so they weren't a priority in getting the thing setup. At the moment I'm mainly concerned with balancing the waves, classes, and settings.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    I think that progress to high level waves will require 3+ people with coordinated classes and some kind of strategy. Some interesting terrain in the arena
    Clearly, what's needed is push button terraforming of the arena floor. Hills and other obstacles? Push a button. Lava pits? Push a button. Flood it with water for a sea battle? Push a button.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Clearly, what's needed is push button terraforming of the arena floor. Hills and other obstacles? Push a button. Lava pits? Push a button. Flood it with water for a sea battle? Push a button.
    Elevation changes would be difficult in any meaningful sense. Using double piston extenders I could turn flat terrain into a height difference of 4 without any issues... but only for a single row of blocks. AFAIK, it would be impossible to do more than a height difference of 2 for push-button elevation for any practical purpose, which isn't much of a change.

I was thinking instead of simply terraforming the arena floor. Grass over the entire thing and add hills, maybe a few small wall sections, a pond, and a small wooden fort. Things to give it some interesting strategic combat options instead of just running around on a flat surface. Placement of spawn points inside these features would prevent them from becoming over-powered.

I was thinking instead of simply terraforming the arena floor. Grass over the entire thing and add hills, maybe a few small wall sections, a pond, and a small wooden fort. Things to give it some interesting strategic combat options instead of just running around on a flat surface. Placement of spawn points inside these features would prevent them from becoming over-powered.
    I like this idea, that would be pretty sweet.

I quite enjoy the current setup. Makes me feel like a real gladiator.

I found a pile of equipment in the nether fortress on the road to my home. It includes a full set of iron armor, several stacks of sandstone, several stacks of melon, a diamond pickaxe, some glowstone dust, and some other random stuff. I have no idea whose stuff this is, so I've placed it in a chest against the wall in my industrial sector. If it's yours, you're welcome to come claim it.

So xiahou, spanky and I were having a few rounds in the arena, and wave 17 proved to be a bunch of completely harmless villagers. Which you could trade with. I'm...not entirely sure if that's deliberate or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Member Member Plasmanaut on Fire Champion Memnon's Avatar

I found a pile of equipment in the nether fortress on the road to my home. It includes a full set of iron armor, several stacks of sandstone, several stacks of melon, a diamond pickaxe, some glowstone dust, and some other random stuff. I have no idea whose stuff this is, so I've placed it in a chest against the wall in my industrial sector. If it's yours, you're welcome to come claim it.
    Yeah, that's mine. I decided to aggro some pigmen for some reason and got swarmed, I thought it was lost for good! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    So xiahou, spanky and I were having a few rounds in the arena, and wave 17 proved to be a bunch of completely harmless villagers. Which you could trade with. I'm...not entirely sure if that's deliberate or not, but I thought I'd mention it.
    Yeah, I put that wave in thinking it would do something completely different. I plan on removing it but I have to take the server offline to do so and whenever I've had the time over the last two days people have always been on. I will probably change it up some more on Thursday.

Looks like the latest patch has finally fixed some of the more annoying bugs, most notably the random damage from travelling in minecarts.

There are lots of problems being reported with the first Bukkit development build for 1.4.4, so I'm not going to install it yet. Apparently 1.4.4 clients cannot connect to 1.4.2 server, so make sure you don't update just yet.

It also looks like the new patch means the sand generator is now redundant. I'm glad I stocked up on sandstone. Phew!

It also looks like the new patch means the sand generator is now redundant. I'm glad I stocked up on sandstone. Phew!
    They claim to have fixed it about half a dozen times before as well. I believe it when I see it.

[edit] Yup, as I suspected...

Last edited by TinCow; 11-15-2012 at 14:05.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I struck an obsidian "mine" while gathering resources and lost some tools :( in the process.

However, I was able to make a nether portal in my Edinburgh cliff. When I went through I appeared through the stronghold portal that prob TinCow had established and couldn't get back to my fortress.
    Luckily TinCow has an obsidian maker in his abandoned villa and I was able to make another portal set and bring back to the nether... I read somewhere that you can calculate about where you are by taking topside coordinates and divide by 8... I found the approximate spot in the nether and built the portal... and it worked. I got transported back to my cliff.

So... nothing much to see at my place yet... but there is a portal around -137,-137 in the nether that leads to the cliff.
    Status Emeritus

Yeah, new portals always link to existing portals if they're within a certain range. I don't remember what that range is, but you're pretty much always going to have to manually construct the nether side of new portals unless you're really far out in the overworld.

Incidentally, I managed to find a new nether fortress that spawns Wither Skeletons. It's somewhere around -1200, -450 in the nether, though getting to it is a pain in the butt. I plan to build a road out there soon to make it a bit easier.

The Bukkit team have cranked out some more work on the latest build, and it appears stable enough to me now, so I have updated the server to 1.4.4. You'll need to upgrade your clients to connect. Let me know if you encounter any problems.

Getting wither heads is a major pain in the ass. I've spent about 2 hours in a nether fortress killing withers and I haven't gotten a single one. Not only are the odds of a drop very low, the skeletons themselves spawn very slowly. I've killed maybe 40 over two hours.

I may be buying minecraft this christmas. Your server sounds fun.

Getting wither heads is a major pain in the ass. I've spent about 2 hours in a nether fortress killing withers and I haven't gotten a single one. Not only are the odds of a drop very low, the skeletons themselves spawn very slowly. I've killed maybe 40 over two hours.
    What are you going to use the wither skeleton heads for? Summoning the Wither? Or just decoration?

What are you going to use the wither skeleton heads for? Summoning the Wither? Or just decoration?
    Summoning the Wither. You have to kill the Wither to get a Nether Star, and you need Nether Stars to build beacons.

Summoning the Wither. You have to kill the Wither to get a Nether Star, and you need Nether Stars to build beacons.
    Fighting the Wither will be tough. And he can't be contained. Where are you going to fight him and are you doing it alone?

There are multiple designs for traps to make him relatively easy to kill without much damage to the world. When I get enough skulls I'll pick one of them and build it. If possible I'd like to make some kind of automated system because I want multiple beacons.

Incidentally, the sand generator no longer works. Oddly, it works perfectly fine on vanilla 1.4.4, but not with bukkit.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Alright... who took my potato plant?

I killed a zombie and got a potato, which I planted in my little farm outside. When I got back to check today, it was gone and the farmland where it stood was a plain dirt patch.
    Status Emeritus

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Did you or a mob jump on it?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Alright... who took my potato plant?

I killed a zombie and got a potato, which I planted in my little farm outside. When I got back to check today, it was gone and the farmland where it stood was a plain dirt patch.
    Farmland requires water within 4 squares of it. If there isn't it will degrade over time.

Page 40 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast