Page 53 of 87 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2594

Thread: Org Minecraft Server

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Org Minecraft Server

If possible, I'd like to lay claim to the jungle island around -4000, -1800. On the mainland just to the East is my nether portal -currently unconnected- and in the sea between is my sea lab prototype.

I probably won't be doing much there in the near future, but I hope to have more time to play in the coming months....
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    If possible, I'd like to lay claim to the jungle island around -4000, -1800. On the mainland just to the East is my nether portal -currently unconnected- and in the sea between is my sea lab prototype.

I probably won't be doing much there in the near future, but I hope to have more time to play in the coming months....
    I don't think anyone's expanded out in that direction. It's a nice jumping off point to that excellent looking continent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I feel alone in the Nether... the only road around me is the one from my castle to the stronghold with the end-portal..
    I am also quite high up in the nether.. around 116.
    I am also worried about mining around where my portals are as I am only a few blocks away from a monster drop to an endless lava sea. at what height level should I expect to find you guys?.. should I brave a little tunneling.
    My main portal is at 69. Just wanted to say that.

I figured out the resource requirements for my zombie pigfarming field. I saw a lot of people using drop traps but I wand to use layered piston factories. The only thing that can't be farmed is redstone but there aren't any iron farms anywhere. Looks to be a long project.

At a glance:

Levels Avaliable: 110
    Grinder: 4
    First Layer: 7x7x4
    Second Layer: 9x9x4
    Max Height: 27 layers
    Max Dimensions: 61x61x27
    Sticky Pistons: 217, 3.5
    Sticky Pistons for field: 1736, >27
    Redstone Needed: 3472, 386, >6 (5136, 574, 9)
    Iron: >9 stacks of blocks

I hope my math is right.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 03-25-2013 at 18:49.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Can the sand generator be re-enabled? Even if it is only temporary?
    It would be a pity to get all our desert biomes strip mined.

Alternatively, perhaps we can fill our sand needs if we completedy exploit one selected desert and convert it into a different biome by a mutual effort. Just a thought.

On a different note:
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Sorry for the lack of a map update recently, I was out of town over the weekend. The map is now updated and I'm working in the next updates for the old maps.

[edit] Old maps now rotated. Current ones:
    June 5, 2012
    July 6, 2012
    @TinCow, thanks, I have finished with those maps. They can be rotated, whenever you find the time.
    Last edited by Nigel; 03-25-2013 at 23:30.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

You can also move your portals anywhere you want vertically without impacting anything. Unless you've got two portals on top of one another, the y coordinates don't make a difference. So, you could move your nether portal much further down.
    That's the thing... I believe I am right over a sea of lava... and that a few blocks down there is a vertical drop... My portal is located inside a huge cave ceiling with a lava sea at the bottom.
    I need to build a floating fortress in there to be able to take it down about 50 levels. Might just do that...
    Status Emeritus

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

What are the coordinates to where your portal is right now?

A nice fellow from the Bukkit forums has created a custom plugin for us to solve our sand problem. There are two new crafting recipes which are as follows: 9 cobblestone -> 9 gravel -> 9 sand. No more need for a sand generator.

Our coder has also offered to add more recipes if we'd like. Are there any recipes that you'd like to see added, keeping in mind that I like to keep stuff somewhat balanced?

[edit] Also, chain armor can now be crafted by using flint in the usual armor patterns.
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-26-2013 at 15:48.

Exact coordinates of the portal to my castle: X (-148) Z (-148) Y (115)
    Exact coordinates of the portal to the stronghold : X (-58) Z (-109) Y (115)
    Status Emeritus

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

A nice fellow from the Bukkit forums has created a custom plugin for us to solve our sand problem. There are two new crafting recipes which are as follows: 9 cobblestone -> 9 gravel -> 9 sand. No more need for a sand generator.

Our coder has also offered to add more recipes if we'd like. Are there any recipes that you'd like to see added, keeping in mind that I like to keep stuff somewhat balanced?

[edit] Also, chain armor can now be crafted by using flint in the usual armor patterns.
    At least gravel is useful now . I regret throwing all those stacks of it into the lava now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    At least gravel is useful now .
    I've always thought that kind of recipe made sense. Cobblestone is basically just broken stone. Gravel is just crushed cobblestone. Sand is just really finely ground gravel (and seashells, but we'll ignore that). So, the lack of a cobble->gravel->sand progression always confused me. It's also a pretty balanced recipe, IMO, as you still have to mine the cobble or gravel. That stuff, particularly cobble, is very easy to get so it's easier to do than strip-mining, but it's also nowhere near as obviously exploit-y as the sand machine. Good all around IMO.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

So you create a cobblestone generator... lava plus water... then crunch the cobblestone down into gravel and then sand... which is essentially Hawaii in a nutshell.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Exact coordinates of the portal to my castle: X (-148) Z (-148) Y (115)
    Exact coordinates of the portal to the stronghold : X (-58) Z (-109) Y (115)
    I built a road out over the lake at our level and then moved your portals down to it. You're now hooked up to the road network, feel free to modify the road I built however you want, though be aware that it's only 1 thick if you're digging down. There's a cobblestone pillar with a ladder near the stronghold portal that will take you back to where your old portals used to be, if you need to get there.

Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar

How about a solution to the gunpowder crisis?

9 coal/charcoal -> 1 or 3 gunpowder.

EDIT: If only there was an easier way to make leather...
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 03-27-2013 at 03:18.

Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post

Your solution requires less killing, which I can't support.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Leather isn't bad. If you're maintaining a large cattle farm, you can easily harvest a stack of leather per game day. Just make sure you do the breeding before you slaughter.

spanky do you need the gunpowder to make dynamite? I've got 9 I can trade you for some dirt if you want.

Breeding cattle is an easy way to level up at low levels. I have a mainly free range cattle farm between myself and Tuuvi's pyramid. I just bring in a stack of wheat, breed a new set. Sleep overnight in the wood shack and then cull out the same amount I breed.

=][=

Wired article about a recreation of the Game of Thrones lands in creative mode in Minecraft:
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/...nes-minecraft/
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuvi View Post
    spanky do you need the gunpowder to make dynamite? I've got 9 I can trade you for some dirt if you want.
    The amount of dynamite I need is enormous. I need to blow up a mountain. Dynamite isn't necessary, but will be nice. I could only pack that much power if I had a steady source of gunpowder.

How much dirt do you need? I have about a double chest full. I can just give you half of it.

Unlimited gunpowder can already be obtained in the game if you build a mob grinder. It's just that no one has done it yet. Well, no one has done it successfully. I tried but its output was very low so I destroyed it and never got around to building a second one.
    Last edited by TinCow; 03-28-2013 at 00:23.

I don't use my (small amount) of gunpowder... once I finish the Nether "Green Line" Rail ... I can drop it off in the Hotel Supplies

Unlimited gunpowder can already be obtained in the game if you build a mob grinder. It's just that no one has done it yet. Well, no one has done it successfully. I tried but its output was very low so I destroyed it and never got around to building a second one.
    Is it possible, through some plugin magic, to make a creeper spawner? That way a farm could be made.

Is it possible, through some plugin magic, to make a creeper spawner? That way a farm could be made.
    Yes, but I'd be reluctant to do that as it seems a bit too easy. At least with the grinder a lot of effort has to go into the initial construction, which is a good 'cost' for the resource benefits that result from it.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

What is this mob grinder you speak of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Sorry, when I say mob grinder I mean mob farm. A mob grinder is the killing mechanism that is part of a mob farm, but I'm really talking about the entire farm itself. A mob farm is basically a structure that is designed to create optimal conditions inside for monsters to spawn. The structure then forces them into an area where they are killed, thus dropping their loot. If built well, they can constantly spawn very large numbers of mobs, even during the day, producing a constant flow of mob items, such as gunpowder. To increase the spawn concentration, it's best to eliminate as much of the surrounding terrain as possible from possible spawning spots. As such, they're best built in areas that have been completely lit above and below ground (difficult to accomplish), or out in the middle of the ocean. The one I built didn't work well because it was underground in my lair. Because there was a lot of unlit area all over the place nearby, particularly underground, the spawn rate of the system was really, really low. I actually started preparing an island for a better grinder, but never actually started construction. The island is at x=970 z=-380.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Mob_Farm

There are tons of youtube tutorials on various configurations.

To increase the spawn concentration, it's best to eliminate as much of the surrounding terrain as possible from possible spawning spots. As such, they're best built in areas that have been completely lit above and below ground (difficult to accomplish), or out in the middle of the ocean
    My enderman farm is built on this principle.
    Make it ideal for spawning by isolating it away from the mainland. Make a tower high enough for them to die if they fall off it. Make sure they only can spawn on the pressureplates that will activate the pistons that push them off to the killing platform (endermen needs 3 height on any given opaque surface to spawn and they can't spawn on water or half blocks (non opaque) including glowstone. They can't teleport to places that has water on it.)

I bet you could make a similar farm out in the sea as TinCow suggests. Have rings of opaque blocks with either tripwire or pressure plates that will activate pistons that push anything spawning on the rings. Make multiple rings of this kind with the lowest one at the killing height of mobs. Make sure the island ground level is lighted enough to prevent any mobs spawning there during the night. You can seal the tower to make it a night and day farm.. and make sure nothing can spawn on the top by placing non opaque blocks on the roof (e.g stone slabs or water sources). Then watch the killing field on ground level as raining mobs fills it up with drops. Make sure the thing is not too high as mobs despawn 128 blocks away from the player.

Yeah... these kind of farms only produces when the player is present.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 03-28-2013 at 20:35.
    Status Emeritus

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

Interesting, all the things that can be done....

Meanwhile, I have checked out of the Noob Hotel and moved into a little wooden shack, which I put up next to my building site.

I also figured out how to write books (thanks TC). That's a neat way of placing longer texts inside the game world. Took the opportunity to put down a few tips for beginners, which I found useful when getting started. The little guide is now available at the reception desk.
    Last edited by Nigel; 03-28-2013 at 22:16.

The island is at x=970 z=-380.
    So that's what that island is for.

If you're not planning on doing anything with it, can I take over the reins? I could use a break from my very slow castle building.

EDIT: A lot of the mob grinders use a lot of redstone circuitry, which I am apprehensive about. I'm not sure how much the server will lag.

I think I'll just make a standard mob grinder... if I can find a standard to work with.
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 03-29-2013 at 03:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    I don't think anyone's expanded out in that direction. It's a nice jumping off point to that excellent looking continent.

My main portal is at 69. Just wanted to say that.

I figured out the resource requirements for my zombie pigfarming field. I saw a lot of people using drop traps but I wand to use layered piston factories. The only thing that can't be farmed is redstone but there aren't any iron farms anywhere. Looks to be a long project.

At a glance:

Levels Avaliable: 110
    Grinder: 4
    First Layer: 7x7x4
    Second Layer: 9x9x4
    Max Height: 27 layers
    Max Dimensions: 61x61x27
    Sticky Pistons: 217, 3.5
    Sticky Pistons for field: 1736, >27
    Redstone Needed: 3472, 386, >6 (5136, 574, 9)
    Iron: >9 stacks of blocks

I hope my math is right.
    I saw a video on iron farming. It requires villagers to be trapped in a 1 x 1 glass holding cell, so that iron golems can spawn. The golem then dies by a lava blade.

For the pigman farm, this might be useful. I'm not sure if it still works, though.

@Papewaio, do you mind if I run a path off the side of you rail line to get to my Nether portal? It wouldn't have to go through the nice glassed area - the coordinates coincide pretty nicely with a mini-cave to one side.

Also, your treehouse is awesome. I checked it out for the first time today, although I couldn't manage to make it to the very top.

My enderman farm is built on this principle.
    Make it ideal for spawning by isolating it away from the mainland. Make a tower high enough for them to die if they fall off it. Make sure they only can spawn on the pressureplates that will activate the pistons that push them off to the killing platform (endermen needs 3 height on any given opaque surface to spawn and they can't spawn on water or half blocks (non opaque) including glowstone. They can't teleport to places that has water on it.)

I bet you could make a similar farm out in the sea as TinCow suggests. Have rings of opaque blocks with either tripwire or pressure plates that will activate pistons that push anything spawning on the rings. Make multiple rings of this kind with the lowest one at the killing height of mobs. Make sure the island ground level is lighted enough to prevent any mobs spawning there during the night. You can seal the tower to make it a night and day farm.. and make sure nothing can spawn on the top by placing non opaque blocks on the roof (e.g stone slabs or water sources). Then watch the killing field on ground level as raining mobs fills it up with drops. Make sure the thing is not too high as mobs despawn 128 blocks away from the player.

Yeah... these kind of farms only produces when the player is present.
    This is basically what I'm planning and acquiring resources for. It's largely original and likely resource inefficient but will cover most of the spawn radius.

If you're not planning on doing anything with it, can I take over the reins? I could use a break from my very slow castle building.

EDIT: A lot of the mob grinders use a lot of redstone circuitry, which I am apprehensive about. I'm not sure how much the server will lag.

I think I'll just make a standard mob grinder... if I can find a standard to work with.
    Using a fortune pickaxe is working incredibly well and redstone is the least of my worries. Iron is the scarcest resource. A good slime farm or swamp with a looting enchantment can produce a lot of slime. By rare luck I enchanted an amazing sword the other day. I'm not using circuits, just repeaters.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 03-29-2013 at 09:11.

Down with dried flowers!

Be my guest, though be aware that the nether-side of the portal has not been rebuilt.

Page 53 of 87 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast