Thread: discussion about land battles - especially arty

Default discussion about land battles - especially arty

Hello fellas!

I'm a new guy around there, so first hello everyone!

One of the things I'd like to discuss with you ETW experts is the placement, usage and proportion of your artillery in your army (in SP and MP).

The SP AI seems to always place its artillery on the flanks of its army. And some players actually do that too in MP. Others choose mortars and howitzers and place them safely behind their troops.

Personally, I prefer to place at least 3 regiments of arty at the very center of my line, flanked on each side with my infantry regiments and with at least 2 other infantry regiments behind the arty to repel any charge against my cannons.

What about you guys?

What do you think of my favorite strategy???

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: discussion about land battles - especially arty

That is my usual way also. Some things can change it but I do like that way best.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

idk and idc how to arrange my artillery my main tactic is posting my skirmishers in tactical places infront of the line halve my line infantry right of my cannon's the other halve other side so Artillery Center it worked so far but i must say i dislike ETW and NTW combat as i'm not a good general when bullets fly Cavalry is my field of expertise naval combat i start to get used to as is my land combat

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I put the light infantry to the flanks of my line infantry and place cavalry behind them.

Cavalry charging lights from the front are asking for it and the cavalry in back is back up.

When he advances his line the lights can move up and or turn to get a better shot.

If need be I send cavalry out to deal with the enemy guns. He will advance into my line after that…

Then the enemy is toast.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Between rock and hard place - Russia, Prussia, Austria, Sweden.

My artillery goes into front line. Howitzers (and seldom mortar - nice range but poor accuracy) in the back.
    Usually interwoven with line infantry. Behind battery I have some units to counter-charge (militia with shooting turned off, cavalry, even general bodyguard unit)
    My building block , lets call it brigade ;-) has 1 battery, 2 line inf, one grenadier and one light infantry unit.

sometimes i locate at least half of my art. units on the wings of the battle line. Protected by light infantry and cavalry , a little before battle line.
    It allows be to shoot with round shot through one or more advancing units in line formation.
    But I want to ensure that their arc of fire will not cross my line. Bad karma ....;-)

C_A____________________A_C
    __G_I _I_ I_A_I_I_A_I_I_I_G
    __________G____G
    __H
    _ - placeholder , H- howitzer, G-grenadier , I - line infantry , A - art. battery, C- cavalry
    Batteries in the middle of the battle line are in "shotgun mode" - canister sweeps everything in the front.

Situation may be little different when I have hill with cliff in front. Then artillery is secure and has longer reach.

Drummerboy
    Last edited by drummerboy; 11-08-2011 at 22:13.

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

GAH!

Vanya usually like placing his artillery masterpieces on the flanks and turning them in so they face each other. Vanya then puts His infantry in between to goad the enemy to assault them. The lure is stronger if, like Vanya, you place your infantry with their backs to the approaching enemy. When the hapless enemy fools rush in and take the bait, unleash canister shots from all artillery positions into the melee. It is best that you leave your foolhardy infantry in place to afix the enemy in the kill box. The last thing you want is the artillery goons lollygagging around and fire a few seconds to late and totally miss the enemy 'cause they ran past the kill box. Plus, not only do you kill many enemy mongrels and maggots, you also cull your own lines of the weaklings that keep your army green.

Any cavalry you get is purely for chasing routers and safeguarding the artillery posts.

And make sure you don't place your artillery too far away or the tactic will be a one-sided bloodbath that will not bring you either victory or joy.

Do as Vanya sez, and you too shall bask in the same glory as He.

GAH!
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]