Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Republic Wireless

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Republic Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Here's what you do when faced with a terrible wifi connection: turn wifi off on the phone. Forces the phone to cell.
    According to their latest blog posting they're looking at allowing the user to change the Defy's default behavior to call over cellular first, then to wifi when cellular isn't available. That sounds like it'd be a very costly move on their part, but they claim its for customer satisfaction...

One solution that we believe has promise is actually addressing the need for handover itself. If you’ve used our Wi-Fi+ app, you know that it preemptively checks the call quality of a Wi-Fi network before allowing the call to go through as VOIP, otherwise it will send it over cell. We believe we can offer you the option to “reverse” the hybrid calling logic to prefer cell first, Wi-Fi second. Simply put, this would turn your DEFY XT into a traditional cell phone, only with the added benefits of Wi-Fi calling and texting whenever you don’t have cellular coverage. This goes against our core belief of “Wi-Fi is better,” and will definitely cost us financially, but we believe it’s a worthy sacrifice to give all of you so that you can have a better experience.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Member thankful for this post:

Lemur 

The Wi-Fi was out, but Republic lets you use the Sprint network if the Wi-Fi fails. My mistake. It still works, even when the Republic symbol isn't lit up. I was using it over the Sprint network today.
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Well, it's official.

"New phones are coming late this year, but what is gonna happen to the DEFY XT?"

From the comment section:

"In a couple of news interviews about new phones, our CEO mentioned Summer, and then fall, but, due to contractual agreements with our hardware manufacturers, the official release window for new phones is 'later this year.'

You cannot imagine how badly we want to talk about these new devices. Every single post on this page, regardless of topic, has questions about the new phones on it. All we can say until we get the 'ok' from our partners though is 'later this year.' But, everything is right on schedule."
    Last edited by Lemur; 08-26-2013 at 15:37.

Rumor / Speculation has it that the new phones will likely all be Motorola phones due the Motorola being owned by Google now.

People have been guessing that the MotoX could be the "good" or low end of the new phones. If they can offer that phone at a reasonable price (around the $200 mark), I'll be all over it.

But, this is all speculation at this point... which is all we have to go on
    -Abraham Lincoln

Lemur 

I've been really happy with it so far. I've never owned my own cell phone. The chief selling point is the affordability. Perfectly functional though.
    "Hope is the Last to Die" Russian Proverb

Lemur 

Hot diggity dog. From the RW Facebook page:

We've got a big announcement coming...

Tell your friends.

#OhYesWeDid #smartphone #savings

Xiahou 

Sweet. I guess that means they'll be announcing it by Friday at the latest..... in the meantime, let the speculation continue.

The MotoX for $299? I have mixed feelings about that. It'd be the phone I hoped they'd get, but the price is a bit higher than I'd like to see. If my wife and I both got one, even with the substantial savings we'd get by switching to RW, It'd take almost 10 months to break even. Hmm...
    Last edited by Xiahou; 09-19-2013 at 05:09.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    The MotoX for $299? I have mixed feelings about that.
    I don't, it's a hell of a bargain, given than an unlocked, no contract Moto X goes for ~$600. Sounds more like the phone is being offered at (or slightly below) cost.

Big issue for me now is the fact that the company I'm starting up may be paying for corporate phones (we're still deciding on where to allocate the first contract money, which is already in) and we will have to support iOS devices. So ... as much as I love Republic ... I may have to move away.

Sigh.

So, it's official... along with the new pricing/plans. The $10 & $25 plans are of interest to me. $40/mo to have 4G? It just doesn't seem worth it. That's getting close to the monthly pricing of other MVNOs. $10 for unlimited talk/text and wifi only data would be perfect for my wife, and the $25/mo for talk/text/3G would suffice for me.

The next question I have: Is the motoX the good, better, or best phone? RW had been alluding to releasing 3 phones of varying specs/prices... which one is this? Some on the RW forums seem to think this is the "best". Personally, I don't think the motoX is that impressive of a phone- average specs and no SD card (wth???). But, at least if it is the "best" that means the other phones would come in cheaper whenever they're announced.

Edit: Confirmed. The MotoX is the "best" phone. Interesting...

I don't really want to pay $600 for 2 new phones right now... but I suppose I could get $130ish for my RAZR Maxx on Glyde or ebay... hmmm.

Big issue for me now is the fact that the company I'm starting up may be paying for corporate phones (we're still deciding on where to allocate the first contract money, which is already in) and we will have to support iOS devices. So ... as much as I love Republic ... I may have to move away.
    Congrats. Mind if I ask what field you're in? Also, why is iOS so gosh darned important? I'd need a very compelling reason to walk away from those savings...
    Last edited by Xiahou; 09-20-2013 at 03:57.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Congrats. Mind if I ask what field you're in? Also, why is iOS so gosh darned important? I'd need a very compelling reason to walk away from those savings...
    Thanks, man. Eh, it's not official yet, but me and a few other geeks are doing an app and web dev startup in an underserved market. I've been roped in as a founding partner because everybody likes me and I have excellent hair.

Anyway, we're going to absolutely have to support iOS, probably on multiple devices. Testing, developing, generally screwing around. You know the drill. And one of the partners is really keen on racking up some expenses, since right now, on paper, we look like nothing but big streams of cash. (Apparently that's a bad thing.)

-edit-

Talking w. partners about whether or not it would make sense to go halvesies; do half of our phones on ReWi, and the other half on some iOS-supporting carrier. Mulling it over.

I still don't understand why gobs and gobs of cash are so very bad. Sure, you pay tax, but that's not the end of the world. And as a start-up, I'd think having a war chest is a good thing. This whole, "Let's spend more so's we don't owe tax" ... I dunno, I think I want to talk to our accountant about it. Seems like the lesser half of a partial truth.

-edit of the edit-

Any Orgahs who know me on Facebook, please do me the courtesy of not mentioning the start-up over there. We're kinda doing it on the down-low, for a variety of reasons. Probably won't announce it to the world for six months or so.
    Last edited by Lemur; 09-20-2013 at 15:25.

Two big bug fixes with the new phones/plan: They've solved the wifi-to-cell handoff, which is killer.

And they've mostly solved the MMS texting issue.

So ... very hard to say no to this deal.

Anyway, we're going to absolutely have to support iOS, probably on multiple devices. Testing, developing, generally screwing around. You know the drill. And one of the partners is really keen on racking up some expenses, since right now, on paper, we look like nothing but big streams of cash. (Apparently that's a bad thing.)
    Doesn't mean you have to have the latest and shiniest iOS devices (heck, second hand ones might still be perfectly OK), though, presumably you want a couple of iOS 7 devices and perhaps a couple of one or two iOS revisions back. In any case Android in its various incarnations is the bigger beast right now. All in all buying test hardware adds up to a couple thousand bucks, I'd imagine? You're probably spending more on the plans over time anyway, so it makes sense to buy devices upfront let depreciation work its magic and save money on the contract?

FWIW I also don't fully see how liquidity is a bad thing when you're still trying to get product to market. As of right now I expect your revenue is right about zero (not launched yet) and you don't yet, presumably, know how long its going to take before it receives any uptake that translates into a worthwhile revenue stream. -- You've got to survive in the meantime, and presumably have other mouths to feed.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    FWIW I also don't fully see how liquidity is a bad thing when you're still trying to get product to market. As of right now I expect your revenue is right about zero (not launched yet) and you don't yet, presumably, know how long its going to take before it receives any uptake that translates into a worthwhile revenue stream. -- You've got to survive in the meantime, and presumably have other mouths to feed.
    If the money is just sitting idle- waiting for Uncle Sam to take a bite out of it, then yeah. That's less than ideal. It might be better if you can turn some of it around and reinvest it into the business.

However, that's not an excuse to stupidly squander resources. Better to pay taxes and keep whats left than to blow it all and have nothing. (I should probably point out that I have no formal experience running a business, so take that fwiw.)

On topic... I wonder when we'll hear about the other phones? I'm not 100% sold on the MotoX yet... but the price is still a strong draw.

Also, I've been toying with GoogleVoice VoIP via GrooveIP on my current android phone... and the results have been less than stellar. It works fine at home when no one else is on the wireless but at work where we might have 20k devices on our WLAN... there has been lots of jitter and drops.

I remind myself that GrooveIP is more of a kludge though, whereas RW should have the service dialed in better.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    As of right now I expect your revenue is right about zero (not launched yet)
    Oh, uh, no. We already have people slinging money at us. I'll explain more later, when we're official and public and all of that.

II wonder when we'll hear about the other phones?
    Are we solid that there will, in fact, be other phones? Having your entire user base on a single hardware/software configuration is kinda the IT support dude's wet dream ...
    Last edited by Lemur; 09-21-2013 at 05:06.

Are we solid that there will, in fact, be other phones? Having your entire user base on a single hardware/software configuration is kinda the IT support dude's wet dream ...
    Pretty solid.
    Unfortunately it sounds like they're still months away.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Ok, so it looks like their next phone will be the MotorolaDVX. Supposed to look similar to the MotoX, but have less specs and be in the sub $200 range

If/when that comes out- sign me up!

Gotta love the accidental info from Flikr.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Lemur 

Well, looks like everybody's on board with our company using ReWi for the Android phones. Our Alpha Geek was the hardest sell; he wants the phone with the biggest possible display at all times.

But he came around.

Looking forward to November.

Beskar 

He'll just have to make do with the MotoX... the poor guy.

I want to hear some feedback on the MotoX roll out and hopefully some news about the DVX before I jump to RW. But I hope it doesn't take too long- I'm losing money every month by staying with Verizon.
    -Abraham Lincoln

@Xiahou, if you're trapped in an abusive relationship, the first thing you have to realize is that ... you are trapped in an abusive relationship. So apparently Verizon decided to make up for the lack of new customers by raising prices on their existing user base. Stay classy!

Verizon increases cell bills 7.1% for 95M customers

Verizon didn’t sign up as many new cell phone customers in the third quarter as Wall Street expected — but it still earned more than forecast as it managed to increase the average bill of its 95.2 million wireless customers by 7.1 percent.

The average Verizon Wireless bill jumped to $155.75 a month as of Sept. 30 from $154.63 last year, the company said Thursday.

Verizon, the No. 1 wireless carrier, said its ability to ratchet up customers’ bills fattened operating profit margins to 33.8 percent from 31.8 percent last year.

I hope they raise my rates. Then I can bail out of my contract without paying the termination fee.

It is nice to hear that they were able to boost their meager 31.8% profit margin to 33.8% by further ripping off their customers. There's better priced competition out there (RW) and the more Verizon gouges, the more people will look to their competitors. They seem to think they still have a captive customer base- but that's becoming the case less and less now.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 10-24-2013 at 14:09.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Motorola Moto X (Republic Wireless)

The problem with Republic Wireless has never been its concept—the hybrid cellular/Wi-Fi service and low-cost plans are laudable in theory, but ultimately flawed in practice thanks to sketchy performance and subpar hardware. To its credit, Republic Wireless listened to its critics and addresses both problems head on with its latest phone release. Customers can now access Republic's unique service on the Motorola Moto X, a bona fide high-end Android smartphone, that the company is selling for $299 without any contract obligations. Republic has also made significant improvements to key areas like Wi-Fi-to-cellular call handoff and MMS support. The result is a surprisingly seamless, completely viable experience that's an attractive alternative to more traditional, expensive plans. [...]

I tested the Republic Wireless Moto X in New York City on the $40 unlimited talk, text, and 4G data plan. There's a lot to like here and it's clear that Republic Wireless has made significant strides in its service. Call quality over Wi-Fi is good, but it was not without some issues in my tests. Transmissions through the mic were full and voices sounded very clear, but had a distinct robotic quality. I also noticed some random dropouts during calls, leading to missed or clipped words on both ends of the call. It wasn't consistent enough to point out any obvious flaw and definitely tolerable, but still worth noting. Calls over cellular were basically indistinguishable from the Sprint Moto X.

One of the biggest shortcomings of Republic Wireless's services in previous phones was the cellular to Wi-Fi handoff—it was completely non-existent, so when you moved from Wi-Fi to cellular, your call would drop. The Moto X handles this handoff with aplomb. In fact, callers on the other end of the line typically couldn't discern any difference when I stepped into a Wi-Fi zone from a cellular coverage area or vice versa.

Xiahou 

The MotoX will be released for RW sometime next week.

I considering getting in one of their phones in December, depending on how initial user reports go.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Well, I'll report my personal experiences, if that's of interest. Expect to be one of the first to scoop up the new handset.

Xiahou 

@Lemur
    So, you order it yet?
    -Abraham Lincoln

Hells to the yes. With my own money, no less. Tired of waiting for the other thing to sort out. No shipment notification yet.

Xiahou 

Got phone last night, up and running in short order.

Holy amazeballs, this is a nice phone. My iPhone addicted wife even said, "Maybe I should get one of those."

The screen is 720p, which is entirely appropriate for this size, and it's gorgeous. Deep, rich colors. Fired up Netflix and was gobsmacked.

So incredibly nice to be on a current version of Android again. Now maybe the other kids won't beat me up and take my lunch money.

Overall impression:

Xiahou 

Awesome.
    Any thoughts on the (improved?) VoIP call quality? Or how about the wireless-to-cellular hand-off?

Also, do you know if you can recieve texts via email? For example, with Verizon if someone sends an email to mynumber@vtext.com it comes in as a text message on my phone. I kind of need that feature to receive after hours pages.
    -Abraham Lincoln

VOIP is definitely improved. I wonder if the hardware in the old handset was part of the difficulty?

Haven't had a handoff yet, might force it today to test.

Needed to run some Sprint-level updates through the software settings to get texting working completely. No biggie. I live in the sticks, so OTA updates from a cell carrier are always an issue with any phone around here.

If you want to test email texting, I can PM you my cell # and we can try it out. Never used that feature.

MMS texting appears to be functional with Verizon (wife) and Sprint (BFF).

-edit-

Never mind, there is no email-to-text gateway.

-edit of the edit-

Or is there? Seems like there's an potential workaround, based on the "secret" Sprint # your phone uses in cell mode.

Your phone has an underlying Sprint number which means you can use the Sprint SMS Gateway (xxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com where xxxx is the Secret Sprint Number).

Last edited by Lemur; 11-22-2013 at 20:29.

If you try the "secret method" let me know if it works.

I may see if I can just use a normal email address for on-call pages. On a smart phone there's little difference I suppose...
    -Abraham Lincoln

I have no personal need or use for SMS-to-email messaging. Seems like a University thing, and a weird one at that.

Yet another workaround: "Another way of getting e-mail on RW service: I only use my GMail ID for my RW phone, I created a forwarding e-mail address that passes on to my GMail, and give that out. If I have problems, I can kill the forwarder and create a new one. This does not help with those email-to-SMS systems that are locked into the number@provider.gateway model, however."

You could probably work something out with Google Voice as well.

Details:

Google voice offers an Email to SMS gateway (@txt.voice.google.com) for its users. The only caveat is that before using this, the non-GV user must be invited by the GV user (i.e., sent a text message via Email).

After the initial email to sms from Google Voice, the Email to SMS gateway works. The only difference between this and a more traditional Email to SMS Gateway is that the gateway is only available to people whom you first approve.

That said, this gateway will do everything that you specified in your initial request. Indeed, it even works with photos! [...]

To explain it as simply as possible, Google assigns a specific "Email" address for every exchange. For example, instead of "number@messaging.sprintpcs.com" GV uses "your#.Their#.randomcode@txt.voice.google.com" This number can be saved under your contact's name and used for email to sms communication. Likewise, your contact will have a similar address to send you messages from email to sms.

It's an odd duck of a requirement, if you ask me, which you did not.

Here's an app that claims to fill the niche.
    Last edited by Lemur; 11-22-2013 at 22:15.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast