Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Republic Wireless

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Republic Wireless

Gotta say, the new phone really does make a huge difference to the RW experience. Per ZDnet:

To summarize my experiences with the Republic Wireless Moto X, here are my pros and cons.

Pros

• Gorgeous 4.7 inch AMOLED display
    • Nearly perfect in-hand form factor and design
    • Innovative software functionality
    • Unique WiFi-focused wireless service options
    • Excellent quality and high volume mono speaker
    • Excellent price with no contract

Cons

• Limited internal storage capacity
    • Custom software leads to slower Android updates

[...] The more I use the Moto X, the more I enjoy what Motorola has done with their custom software touches that make it one of the most consumer-friendly phones available. Republic Wireless has some compelling service options with no contract obligation. I found their WiFi calling service to provide good quality calls and the handoff to cellular worked well in my testing.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

A question:

Does the phone automatically glom onto any SSID it sees, or do you have to allow connections?

I assumed it worked like most android phones and would only connect where you tell it to... but reading around their forums has confused me on that point.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 11-26-2013 at 01:20.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

In my experience, it won't connect until you tell it to do so.

It's possible someone has found a setting or app that logs you in automatically, though. Perhaps that's the locus of confusion.

-edit-

Obviously, once you've told it an SSID is okay, it will try to re-connect without asking, but that's standard behavior for any WiFi device. And just like your laptop, you can easily tell it to "forget" a connection.

Not really clear on why people are having trouble sorting out this behavior.
    Last edited by Lemur; 11-26-2013 at 16:05.

Member thankful for this post:

Xiahou 

Another review, expressing much the same evaluation I've come to:

Republic Wireless Moto X Review: A Great Deal With Very Few Compromises

Republic Wireless offers a great value with its service. Even though you're not using the cell network as much, you really don't notice. Virtually all of the WiFi features are completely integrated into the experience you're already used to, so it's easy to forget that the phone is using WiFi data instead of a cellular voice connection. With the overall smoothness of Republic Wireless handovers, I don't think you have anything to worry about on that front.

This phone is also a huge step up for anyone considering going with Republic. Before the Moto X, the only device available was the Motorola Defy XT – not exactly a crowd pleaser. The pricing is hard to pass up too. For $299 you get the phone and can leave at any time without penalty. Of course, the device won't work on any other networks, but you can sell it and recoup some cash.

In addition to the Sprint network consideration, you have to think about how the how the update situation will sit with you. The Moto X elsewhere either already has, or will soon have, KitKat. The Republic version is lagging a little behind, and will probably continue to do so. If a somewhat delayed update schedule and Sprint's network are not deal breakers, the Republic Wireless Moto X is a great buy.

From Mashable:

My monthly AT&T bill came to around $200. A sample bill from August shows that I spent $80 on FamilyTalk Nation 1400 with Rollover, $30 for Family Messaging Unlimited and another $30 for Data Unlimited (I was grandfathered in.) That came to $140. In addition, there were $8.95 for "government fees and taxes" and another $41.33 for my wife's iPhone. When you add on $3.39 in additional surcharges and fees, the grand total was $198.70.

At Republic, my bill for two Moto X accounts is $52.78. That's a savings of $145.92 per month. If I'm able to save that much every month, and invest it in an account earning the S&P historical rate of return of 11.67%, I'll have $12,301.98 in five years — that's enough to buy a new Nissan Versa.

Admittedly, that doesn't take the price of the phones into account. A Moto X costs $299 plus tax through Republic Wireless. With shipping, that comes to $329.93 per phone, or $659.86 in total.

Since I was planning to trade up to an iPhone 5S, anyway, subtract around $200 out of that. Then I traded in my old iPhone 4S on Amazon (I was planning to give that model to my wife when I got my 5S), so take out another $180. That's $279.86 in total. If you amortize that over three years — the amount of time we intend to keep our phones — then I'm saving $138.18 per month. If that holds, then I'm still saving $6,215.77 over those three years— enough for three 15-inch MacBook Pros at today's prices, assuming that same rate of return.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm,

This is interesting, and I was leaning towards this for my new phone, but stuff (from Lemur's link above) like this makes me nervous;

My worst customer experience, though, was when I tried to port my wife's old number onto her new phone. After pinging Republic's online help desk, I received an email directing me to an FAQ page, which informed that a quick link should appear on the "My Account" page. It didn't. When I emailed Republic's help desk, I was repeatedly referred back to that same FAQ, which was frustrating. At that point, it would have been nice to talk to a human, but, alas, that's not possible with Republic. Bandwidth runs a lean organization.

"For 90% of issues, it works out pretty well," said company representative Keith Nowak. In my case, it didn't. If I didn't have access to Republic's public-relations team, I'm not sure what I would have done at that point. One fail-safe method is to just mail your phone back, and start over again (Republic offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.)

As it turned out, the issue was my fault. I have two Gmail accounts, and used both to set up two different Republic accounts. I was trying to switch a phone number with one account that wasn't connected. Still, the experience was discouraging and a major drawback.

Automated customer service is the worst part of the Republic Wireless experience, but everything else was great. Once mine and my wife's Moto X phones were up and running, I enjoyed almost exactly the same service I had with AT&T for about $150 a month less.
    Of course, this whole scenario could go belly-up if Republic goes out of business. Bandwidth.com is a private business, and the company hasn't released much financial information about Republic, so it's hard to say how well it's doing. However, if Bandwidth CEO David Morken decides to pull the plug on this venture, then I'm out about $300 and have two useless phones (Republic's Moto X phones are designed to only work on its network.) On the other hand, Republic could also potentially disrupt the wireless industry in a major way, ushering in wider use of VOIP, and dismantling the telecom oligarchy of AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile.
    Also, Sprint service stinks in my area and I would rather have a GSM phone than a republic only one. Now I'm leaning towards the 'Moto G' and T-mobile's $30 month unlimited data/texting/100 minutes plan, hopefully with Google voice to supplement low minutes with some calls over data.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Also, Sprint service stinks in my area and I would rather have a GSM phone than a republic only one. Now I'm leaning towards the 'Moto G' and T-mobile's $30 month unlimited data/texting/100 minutes plan, hopefully with Google voice to supplement low minutes with some calls over data.

CR
    If by "Google voice" you mean using it on your phone via something like GrooveIP, then be advised that Google is turning off all XMPP access to Google Voice in May..... because they can.

I had planned on replacing my land line with Google Voice + an ATA, but I binned that idea after their announcement.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 12-23-2013 at 02:05.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    If by "Google voice" you mean using it on your phone via something like GrooveIP, then be advised that Google is turning off all XMPP access to Google Voice in May..... because they can.

I had planned on replacing my land line with Google Voice + an ATA, but I binned that idea after their announcement.
    Ah, I did indeed mean that. It's good to know, thanks.

I've started looking into paid VOIP providers like Skype now.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    I've started looking into paid VOIP providers like Skype now.
    Suggest you check out Ooma. I've been using them for approx 1 year, my brother for 3 years. Rock-solid service, rock-bottom price.

Xiahou 

Well, I'm probably going to pull the trigger this month. My wife's contract is currently expire, so the first phone will be hers. We'll get one in, demo it for a few days, and if all looks good we'll port her number. Once that's done, I'll get a second phone, terminate my contract with Verizon and port my number. Paying the fee will suck, but when you run the math, it costs more not to.

I have a hard time wanting to lay out $600 for new phones, but I keep reminding myself that they'll pay for themselves in just over 6months.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Lemur 

Trigger pulled.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Lemur 

I got the first MotoX today and spent about half the day playing with it. WiFi calling works great. Cellular handoff works great. And it's a really impressive little phone.

I expect I'll be ordering our second phone tomorrow and saying good-bye to Verizon.

Edit: Second phone is on the way.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-07-2014 at 00:43.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Annoyed like I am by your phone inexplicably handing off to cell when you have perfectly good wireless? Toggle Cell.
    Tired of your battery draining at work as it struggles for a cell signal when you have perfectly good wireless? Toggle Cell.

Seriously, it's a very handy app if you want to force your phone to 'wifi only' when attached to certain SSIDs. Much more convenient than Airplane Mode. Now if they could just get SmartActions ported to the MotoX.... I had it on my RAZR Maxx and miss it sorely.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Lemur 

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123