Thread: Faction Overview: The Roman Republic

Default Faction Overview: The Roman Republic

Since I am hoping to release within the next few months I have decided to go over each faction that will be featured in HRTW 1.0, I will start with the Roman Republic.

First we must discuss their unit roster.. here is what we have so far

Pre-Marian
    Town Watch
    Hastati
    Principes
    Triarii
    Slingers*
    Velites
    Roman Archers
    Equites
    Cavalry Auxilia
    Ballistas
    Roman General

Post-Marian
    Town Watch
    Auxilia
    Early Legionary Cohort
    Early First Legionary Cohort
    Legionary Cohort
    Legionary First Cohort
    Light Auxilia
    Archer
    Auxilia
    Roman Cavalry
    Legionary Cavalry
    Ballistas
    Repeating Ballistas
    Roman Armoured General

*Slingers are the only new unit so far

What changes should we make to the existing units?
    Should we take away any units?
    What units could we add?

Here are some Ideas for some new units:
    1. There is a "Samnite Spearmen" texture for the Julii that we could use.. Should they be a normal Roman Unit? Or only recruitable in specific regions?
    2. There are units that we can pull from the WRE faction in BI.. most notably Foderati troops.. any other suggestions?
    3. There is a "Syrian Archer" unit that we can use from Rise Of Empire.. I believe it should be only recruitable for Rome around the Syrian provinces
    4. I believe we should take the cape off the "Town Watch" unit and change it's name to "Rorarii"

For HRTW 2.0
    1. We should research and look into the many different types of auxilaries that the Romans used, and create an AOR system for that. It would be only for the Roman faction, and it would consist of all the auxilary units that they used..
    2. Should we include all of the different Legions that existed? Should they be actual units like in RS2? Or should we do something similar to BI where the General has the ancillary of "Legio Hispania" etc

When I talk about auxilaries, I do not mean native AOR units.. I mean native troops equipped in Roman fashion that were stationed around the empire

Now on to the other aspects of the Roman Republic..
    Family Tree
    Decius Maxentius - Faction Leader - Maxentii - This family should be governors and defenders of provinces
    Flavius Julius - Faction Heir - Julii - This family should be in control of facing the Barbarian factions, and responsible for "civilizing" the barbarians
    Cornelius Scipio - Scipii - This family should have it's focus on Carthage, Numidia, and Iberia.. they should make sure Carthage is never a power
    Tiberius Brutus - Brutii - This family will be very wealthy, they will take on the Greeks and Eastern factions..

Each of these men should be in their forties and have two-three childeren each when the game starts.. also they should be in positions where they can go out to their objectives (Julii in north, Brutii in East, Scipii in west, Maxentii in center etc)

We should make some traits etc. where Julii family members have a bonus against barbarians etc..

By doing this, we will make it similar to vanilla but without having four roman factions..

Roman Civil Wars - HRTW 2.0
    Now that there is one faction for Rome, there will not be a Roman Civil War scripted in. However, we can make our own. We can have something similar to the Gladiator Uprising. We can simulate a rebellion when Rome gets a certain amount of provinces. Here are some ideas

• Marius/Sulla
    • Caesar/Pompey
    • Antony/Octavian

Since the game ends in 14AD, there is no need for the "4 emporers", Palmyrene and Gallic Empires etc. Unless we want to expand the game time?

Regardless we will need to reskin Roman Units for the rebels..

Rebellions/Uprisings against Rome - HRTW 2.0
    Here are rebellions that we can script in:
    • Social War
    • Spartacus
    • Vercingetorix
    • Boudicca

I want to know what you guys think..

Default Re: Faction Overview: The Roman Republic

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Since I am hoping to release within the next few months I have decided to go over each faction that will be featured in HRTW 1.0, I will start with the Roman Republic.

First we must discuss their unit roster.. here is what we have so far

Pre-Marian
    Town Watch
    Hastati
    Principes
    Triarii
    Slingers*
    Velites
    Roman Archers
    Equites
    Cavalry Auxilia
    Ballistas
    Roman General

Post-Marian
    Town Watch
    Auxilia
    Early Legionary Cohort
    Early First Legionary Cohort
    Legionary Cohort
    Legionary First Cohort
    Light Auxilia
    Archer
    Auxilia
    Roman Cavalry
    Legionary Cavalry
    Ballistas
    Repeating Ballistas
    Roman Armoured General

*Slingers are the only new unit so far

What changes should we make to the existing units?
    Should we take away any units?
    What units could we add?
    Get rid of legionary cavalry... add praetorian cohort.

1. There is a "Samnite Spearmen" texture for the Julii that we could use.. Should they be a normal Roman Unit? Or only recruitable in specific regions?
    2. There are units that we can pull from the WRE faction in BI.. most notably Foderati troops.. any other suggestions?
    3. There is a "Syrian Archer" unit that we can use from Rise Of Empire.. I believe it should be only recruitable for Rome around the Syrian provinces
    4. I believe we should take the cape off the "Town Watch" unit and change it's name to "Rorarii"
    Leave this for 2.0 because its part of the AOR system...
    1. Samnite Spearmen should be recruitable in central Italy and be available to all factions...
    2. Foederati recruitable only to Rome in the barbarian provinces.
    3. Syrian Archer available to all factions in the Syrian regions (syrian archers were used by the seleucids)
    4. Keep them "Town Watch" because we said we are keeping the "english" names, if we name them rorarii then we must make : Theurophoroi, Kataphraktoi etc...

For HRTW 2.0
    1. We should research and look into the many different types of auxilaries that the Romans used, and create an AOR system for that. It would be only for the Roman faction, and it would consist of all the auxilary units that they used..
    2. Should we include all of the different Legions that existed? Should they be actual units like in RS2? Or should we do something similar to BI where the General has the ancillary of "Legio Hispania" etc

When I talk about auxilaries, I do not mean native AOR units.. I mean native troops equipped in Roman fashion that were stationed around the empire
    1.3-4 unique roman AOR units...no more...
    2. BI version... RS2 legions will take a lot of space (we have a hardcoded limit for max number of units) and we need space for the AOR.

Family Tree
    Decius Maxentius - Faction Leader - Maxentii - This family should be governors and defenders of provinces
    Flavius Julius - Faction Heir - Julii - This family should be in control of facing the Barbarian factions, and responsible for "civilizing" the barbarians
    Cornelius Scipio - Scipii - This family should have it's focus on Carthage, Numidia, and Iberia.. they should make sure Carthage is never a power
    Tiberius Brutus - Brutii - This family will be very wealthy, they will take on the Greeks and Eastern factions..

Each of these men should be in their forties and have two-three childeren each when the game starts.. also they should be in positions where they can go out to their objectives (Julii in north, Brutii in East, Scipii in west, Maxentii in center etc)

We should make some traits etc. where Julii family members have a bonus against barbarians etc..

By doing this, we will make it similar to vanilla but without having four roman factions..
    Agree with the idea.

Roman Civil Wars - HRTW 2.0
    Now that there is one faction for Rome, there will not be a Roman Civil War scripted in. However, we can make our own. We can have something similar to the Gladiator Uprising. We can simulate a rebellion when Rome gets a certain amount of provinces. Here are some ideas

• Marius/Sulla
    • Caesar/Pompey
    • Antony/Octavian

Since the game ends in 14AD, there is no need for the "4 emporers", Palmyrene and Gallic Empires etc. Unless we want to expand the game time?

Regardless we will need to reskin Roman Units for the rebels..
    It would be really cool if we can make these...

Rebellions/Uprisings against Rome - HRTW 2.0
    Here are rebellions that we can script in:
    • Social War
    • Spartacus
    • Vercingetorix
    • Boudicca

Agree...

Member Member Lord President of Gallifrey's Avatar
    The High Council of the Timelords, Citadel of the Time Lords, Gallifrey, Constellation of Kasterborus.

THis post will be updated once I get more information to make a true decision. However, I believe most of these suggestions are accurate

Pre-Marian
    Town Watch
    Roman Archers
    I do not think the Town Watch existed during this time. Also, I do not think that there were Roman archers during this time period.

Post-Marian
    Light Auxilia
    Roman Cavalry
    Legionary Cavalry
    Repeating Ballistas
    Light Auxilia did exist, but I think we should change the name.

Roman Calvary, as in Italian Cavalry did not exist. Various people across the Republic/Empire were recruited to be cavalrymen, some were equipped in native fashion, others were armed by the Romans. (This issue has been bugging me since I made the post on the Roman army, I shall investigate further)

Legionary Cavalry did exist, but as a totaly different role. There were a certain amount of cavalry attached to a legion, and they had more of a reconaissance role.

Repeating Ballista's did exist, but I'm not sure about Roman use.

What units could we add?

1. I will have to check my information on Roman history, but the Samnites were subdued by about 290 BC -- There still may have been rebellions involving them, but then we should make them Rebel units
    2. I am against this
    3. Yeah, that works
    4. We should also add other changes

For HRTW 2.0
    What Macedonian said.

Family Tree
    We have to make sure each of the names are historically accurate, and that these people existed at the start of the modification. I'm not sure why the Brutii take on the Eastern front, since it was a different family who did conuered Macedonia and Greece.

• Boudicca

Outside the timeframe.
    Last edited by Lord President of Gallifrey; 11-16-2011 at 01:45.

Well in the vanilla game the Brutii go on to fight Pontus and Parthia so thats why i stated that..
    I forgot about Boudicca.. We should have it only if we extend the game time
    Samnites should be AOR units and for Rebels
    I agree with changing the auxilia units names