Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [EB]3v3 or 4v4 Historical Battle Logistics

Default [EB]3v3 or 4v4 Historical Battle Logistics

Alrighty. Looks like we’re getting close to finalising the army compositions for the first historical battle fought on a 3v3 scale on EB! And, the weekend is nearly here! Now, to take care of the logistics.

Time: What time this weekend (Saturday and Sunday) would be suitable for everyone? Please state in +/- GMT.

Players: Who is interested in taking part?

I propose that we appoint Vartan (unless he wants to play ofc) as the referee. Whoever is interested in playing should indicate preference of faction (Rome or AS) below. If it is heavily unbalanced, then the ref can re-allocate players to make balanced teams.

Then there is the matter of choosing the generals on each side- I’ve written my thoughts on this before (see other post). I’d be inclined to say that once the general/consul is selected, we should allow them to decide how to allocate roles within the team.

Unless I am wrong, we will be taking over the historical positions that captains/consuls/legates/generals took. So there is not much flexibility in that we will not be able to deploy units as we want to.

As far as I know, the following people have clearly stated they want to play/participate:

Lazy
    Robin
    Arjos
    Me (Shak)
    Yavanna (Cyris)
    Roach
    Vega
    Burebista

The following people have participated in the discussions, but have not clearly stated that they wish to take part in the battle:

ASM
    GG2
    Gaius
    Kival
    TCV
    Vartan

So please make your desire to participate explicit if you don't mind, just so we have a rough idea of numbers.

Lets get the following decided within the next 36 hours (it would be nice if we could start the weekend with most things taken care of, and to discuss plans/tactics ):

1. Time of play (+/- GMT please) - once this is decided, we will be able to see who can make it and who cant and will make team selection for the referee much easier.

2. Teams.
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."

Spahbod Member |Sith|DarthRoach's Avatar

Default Re: [EB]3v3 or 4v4 Historical Battle Logistics

Hmm... A lot of people. I doubt this will get done in a single match.

Either way, I should be available most of the day this week.

Next week (and after that) - after 1700 hours GMT on Monday and Wednesday, after 1900 hours GMT on Tuesday and Thursday, after 1200 hours on Friday.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Any time is fine for me, except friday and saturday evenings/nights...

Unbowed Unbent Unbroken Member Lazy O's Avatar

I propose any time said players are online.....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[21:16:17] [Gaius - 5.115.253.115]
    i m not camping , its elegant strategy of waiting

That would be a very disorganised way to go about it. Given the amount of time and energy people are putting into this, I think it deserves to be a little organised. Deciding on a time slot of about 2-3 hours will make sure we know who is coming to play, who is on what team, etc.
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

I am hereby clearly stating that I am taking part in this battle.

As for time, well, if we are going to do it on Sunday, then we will have to wait until possibly as late as ~15:30 (GMT +2), depending on how quickly I can finish my exam. On Saturday though I can whenever.
    Last edited by The Celtic Viking; 10-27-2011 at 15:41.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Oddly enough, I probably won't be participating. I've been caught up in school work and my job for the foreseeable future and I don't know if I can make a specific time to be honest especially this weekend as I work both Saturday and Sunday. I'd happily let someone take a spot and if i do happen to have some time during the match, would gladly "referee" the event.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Brave Sir Robin View Post
    Oddly enough, I probably won't be participating. I've been caught up in school work and my job for the foreseeable future and I don't know if I can make a specific time to be honest especially this weekend as I work both Saturday and Sunday. I'd happily let someone take a spot and if i do happen to have some time during the match, would gladly "referee" the event.
    Robin, this is exactly why it is important to fix a time slot. Are there any slots of 3 hours or so you can fit in? It would be a tragedy if you as the first proponent of this idea didn't play inaugural match.

Sunday - 20 GMT
    My girlfriend plays EB (plus she is hottie). I won the universe.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

I'd be happy in general to participate but cannot promise to have time this weekend. So you should propably play without me. Why do we want to restrict it to a one time event by the way? We could play the battle of magnesia 3 times with different teams for example if it is working.
    Last edited by Kival; 10-27-2011 at 23:34.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Ofc it is not restricted to one time only. However, the first time being something of a grand opening, I wanted to make sure it was well organised and all interested players would be able to participate.

We have far more than 6 interested players though and 3vs3 is the most logical composition.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

I cant miss Magnesia men, im gonna play thats for sure :DDD

Hey guys, really busy today so can't try to find a "common time". I'd be grateful if someone could help me out and deduce the time which works for the most amount of ppl.

Cheers

Shak

Something like 20:00 GMT is when I usually see the most people on line. The only chance of me participating in this is if I get off from work on Sunday and we hold it then. Which is a big IF. Btw, we could do one battle on Saturday and one on Sunday, sort of a 2 day event that would allow more than 6 players to participate. It would also help if some people cannot play one day but can the other.
    From Brennus for wit.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Post the army lists.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Here is the EDU we will be using. Place this in your mp backup folder and when you are ready to play the historical battle, make sure to change the file name to just export_descr unit. Be sure to backup your other file though so that you can switch back and forth between the two.

The only two things I changed were removing fear from Hellcats and giving Romans the forest elephant again.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5489142v08p4p89
    Last edited by Brave Brave Sir Robin; 10-28-2011 at 17:29.
    From Brennus for wit.

i would love to play in this, sadly the hsc claims another victim, however i would ask that you guys post the replay on here so i can watch it later

So tomorrow? I wanna be AS and have as much cav as possible^^
    My girlfriend plays EB (plus she is hottie). I won the universe.

I'm not gonna be participating in this one, because I'm too inexperienced, but I hope you guys make a video with commentary, that will be awesome to see. You should post it in the EB main forums too, if that doesn't get more people wanting to play EBO I don't know what will.

Is this happening today? I don't want to be the one to set the time since I probably won't be playing....
    From Brennus for wit.

Hi Guys

Re: Raphia on 05/06 Nov 2011

With regardsto future battles, I thought it might be a good idea to have it "pre set" as a "historical battle" in EBO. That way, the army compositions are set, and relative locations are also set. We can introduce a 5 minute redeployment window where no one will engage or fire missiles. It also avoids having to wait ages getting everything set up like we had to do last time.

For this, we will need a volunteer who is either accustomed to creating "historical battles" or is willing to spend some time learning how to do so; then actually creating it. The instructions can be found here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52379). As I am at work, I cannot do this.

The other interesting element of using the "historical battle" feature is that you can tweak unit numbers: so for instance, a unit can have 200, or, 20 men instead of 80. This might help recreate the command structure better, i.e. 2 units of 240 men phalanxes instead of 4 units of 121 men phalanxes. Or having 2 large elephant units instead of 3 normal ones.

Also, replayability will be much, much higher.

@TCV's question in the other thread- I believe the EDU is already being set up, and locations are being scouted.

So the following is required:

1) Confirmation of finalisation of EDU;
    2) Confirmation that unit numbers contained in other thread is accurate and acceptable; and
    3) A volunteer for creating the battle using the "historical battle" feature (this person will have to set both army compositions, and location).

I am proposing Saturday 19.00 GMT for the battle preparations to being since that time seems to interlap nicely with our companians across the pond- does anyone have problems with that? Would anyone prefer another time?
    Last edited by TheShakAttack; 11-04-2011 at 14:49.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Unlike Magnesia, this battle will have a pretty featureless map, so we'll just need to enter the lobby in "contingents" order and we'll be all set to go :)

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Saturday 19:00 your time is 14:00 my time, I think? That should work but I would prefer sunday so that I can have time to finish the EDU update without staying up late at night. I can try, though.

I have a degree of experience creating battles with the editor. I will gladly do so for you guys in the future.
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 11-04-2011 at 16:09.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Cool, so lets push it to Sunday then. Also, even though it is a featureless map, are we sure we don't want to play around with unit numbers (which historical battle will allow us to do)?

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Still worth doing if we can to make it easier and quicker if we ever decide to fight it again. (As well as the first time as we wouldn't need to check the armies out and picked them. :p)

I'm fooling around with it anyway, though I won't promise any product. Edit: okay, I'll just let GG2 do it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Celtic Viking View Post
    Still worth doing if we can to make it easier and quicker if we ever decide to fight it again. (As well as the first time as we wouldn't need to check the armies out and picked them. :p)

I'm fooling around with it anyway, though I won't promise any product. Edit: okay, I'll just let GG2 do it. :)
    Yes, my thoughts exactly. It would be wicked if you could do it!

It would be nice but I can't participate Sunday, only Saturday will work for me. I already have the historical battle edu updated, i.e. just updated the one we used previously for Magnesia. Should I upload it?
    From Brennus for wit.

I'm perfectly happy to use your EDU Robin- as long as the other "historically aware" people have no issues with it, I don't see why we can't just use yours. Ok. 19.00 hours GMT good for everyone?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast