Thread: Napoleon or Empire-

Default Napoleon or Empire-

As you can probably see I have not posted much on this site. Shogun 2 was/is my first Total War game and I have used this sites threads, guides, ECT to make the experience more enjoyable.

I am hoping to buy one of these two games this weekend. However, I am having trouble deciding. Hearing both good an bad things about both; I thought maybe some of you guys can give some insight.

Thanks.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Napoleon or Empire-

If you are going from S2 to an older title, let me recommend you try NTW first. It will be more like its daughter, S2.

If you really love it then would be the time to move back to ETW or an earlier title.

Just remember these are all steps in development so they will not have the smoothness and grace of the newest title.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Thank you. I am not going to go in expecting it to be the same as Shogun 2. It is an older game, albeit not by that much. I want to try these two because I am interested in the usage of guns as the primary fighting method. I did my own research and Google search on the two games. I just thought I would ask people who enjoy and know a lot about these games.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I loved everything about NTW except the scope. Playing ETW first I missed the world and felt a little constrained being locked up in only Europe.

Had I played it in a reverse order I think I would have enjoyed it even more.

ETW is no where near as polished as NTW but it dose have aspects worth looking into.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

You will indeed enjoy the naval battle aspect of ETW (haven't played NTW) much more than in Shogun 2. Despite all the complaints about ETW, I put in over 100 hours of it and enjoyed them all. I think it was a good game worth looking into. I thought NTW was somewhat mission based or more guided than sandbox (I could be wrong) that is what kept me away from it. Just wanted to chime in! :)
    Silence is beautiful