Thread: Total war shogun 2: fall of the samura box art reviealed

Blog Entries

Default Total war shogun 2: fall of the samura box art reviealed

the boys over at sega have revealed fall of the samurai's box art take a look here http://blogs.sega.com/totalwar/2011/...-art-revealed/

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Default Re: Total war shogun 2: fall of the samura box art reviealed

At this point in the distribution of PC games it's hard not to view the very concept of box art as an anachronism worthy oblivion.

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

I hear that. Picked up the retail box for Shogun 2 instead of just buying it on steam in hope of some nice fold out tech tree or something, and not only was there not one but I still had to wait for steam to download five gigs worth of updates. Although, I guess I should be thankful they bothered to print a manual.

I hate that... online manuals, all well and good... at least if they worked.

Blah and assorted comments Member Foreign Devil's Avatar

To be fair, after playing for a bit the in game encyclopedia is really nice. The fact that you can click on pretty much anything and be all "hey, what's this?" is great.

Does the limited/retail edition with the box include an actual disc or is it just the DLC code (or codes for pre-order DLC also) ???

The Fall of the Samurai game is described as a stand-alone game that doesn't require owning Shogun 2 to play, but comparing the size of Shogun 2 at the moment will all of the DLC (approx 16 GB) and Steam's system requirements for Fall of the Samurai (approx 20 GB) - does that mean that in total these together will be approx 36 GB or what??? Is Fall of the Samurai purely downloadable content or does the retail edition (the Limited Edition rather than Steam Edition or Sega Edition) actually have a disc or is that just a DLC code plus a plastic box with art and a poster??? - This is important to know because the Retail (Limited) Edition seems much more expensive than the Steam and Sega editions (AUD $48.00 as opposed to $29.99 or $29.99 respectively)...

What download size will Fall of the Samurai be if no disc is included in the Limited Edition?
    IF there is no disc in the limited edition, why does this edition cost almost double the amount of the Steam and Sega Editions to pre-order? - A "packaging sleeve" and a double-sided poster don't justify such a massive price difference... an installation disc might...

Regarding pre-order bonuses and the content of the 3 different editions:
    http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/fots_preorder/

retail/limited
    http://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-156368-...ted-Edition-PC
    steam
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/201271/
    sega
    http://download-store.sega.com/shop/...of-the-samurai

further, while this question is less relevant to myself this is also a mystery... since the Steam and Sega editions cost the exact same amount to pre-order, why does the Steam edition have the game soundtrack as an exclusive extra on top of the exclusive faction but the Sega edition has nothing but the exclusive faction? Very weird...

feedback would be appreciated,

kind regards.
    Last edited by Claudius the God; 01-30-2012 at 14:12. Reason: additional question

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius the God View Post
    Does the limited/retail edition with the box include an actual disc or is it just the DLC code (or codes for pre-order DLC also) ???

The Fall of the Samurai game is described as a stand-alone game that doesn't require owning Shogun 2 to play, but comparing the size of Shogun 2 at the moment will all of the DLC (approx 16 GB) and Steam's system requirements for Fall of the Samurai (approx 20 GB) - does that mean that in total these together will be approx 36 GB or what??? Is Fall of the Samurai purely downloadable content or does the retail edition (the Limited Edition rather than Steam Edition or Sega Edition) actually have a disc or is that just a DLC code plus a plastic box with art and a poster???

feedback would be appreciated,

kind regards.
    Its my understanding that FOTS will integrate itself into your installation of Shogun 2 upon purchase/installation, likely taking up as much space as the ROTS DLC if i had to guess. If you do not have shogun 2, then it will likely install the engine and take up roughly the same size as the vanilla game.

Steam games can also be installed from disks, I installed team fortress 2 and Civ V from their disks and activated them with steam.
    Last edited by Monk; 01-30-2012 at 16:40.

So assuming that the retail/limited edition is just a case with some bits of paper (DLC code) and a poster and no actual disc (a proper expansion set would have a disc), why is it going to cost almost double to purchase it from a retail store than to get it from Steam or Sega as a brand new product? - this is all very weird still. One may as well wait for Fall of the Samurai plus the exclusive content to be released all in one pack later on at a cheaper price anyway rather than pre-ordering anything. The very fact that content is being withheld for pre-order incentives is almost insulting...

The box will come with a disk, FotS is a big expansion. Much bigger than RotS.
    Unit Design Lead

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Thanks for confirming that Jack Lusted. The huge price difference makes a bit more sense now.

EDIT:
    more info in case anyone has missed it:
    Official Comment on Pre-Order exclusives and DLCs
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ives-and-DLCs/

I take back what I said earlier about existing content being cut for pre-order incentives. I picked that notion up from somewhere and got rather upset at the notion.

Still, with no guarantee as yet that the 3 pre-order exclusive factions will be released as DLC at a later date, I'm not sure which edition to pre-order if I decide to do that at all...
    Last edited by Claudius the God; 02-05-2012 at 11:05.