Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total War : Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai announced.

Default Re: Total War : Shogun 2 - Fall of the Samurai announced.

Reminds me of the Last Samurai movie, cool move

It is better to create than to learn! Creating is the essence of life.
    "Julius Caesar"

Blog Entries

i think i might just buy this :D

If only credit carts are 100% secure

It is better to create than to learn! Creating is the essence of life.
    "Julius Caesar"

Senior Member Senior Member Graphic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nowake View Post
    I do hope it is not an exercise for an American Civil (total) War title.
    I actually hope it is.

CA UK Design Staff CA Intrepid Sidekick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    So, if you can answer this \/

Is this going to be like a whole new game where we are going to have to drop another $40-$60 (I can't remember how much NTW cost on its release), or is it going to be like RoTS where it was $15-$20 (Again I don't know its release price)

If you can't answer, no worries.
    It is going to be a stand-alone expansion, if you own Shogun2 it will add to the original game as well, but you don't have to own "Total War: Shogun 2" to play it. And as far as i am aware it will be priced as an expansion. The price will be announced but I don't have the exact details.
    There will be a patch at about the same time for owners of Shogun 2.

Hope that helps
    Intrepid Sidekick
    ~CA UK Design Staff~

'On two occasions, I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answer come out?"
    I am not able to rightly apprehend the confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.'

Mr. C. Babbage - Inventor of the Difference Engine

"They couldn't hit an Elephant at this dist..." Last words of General John Sedgewick, Union General, 1864.

http://www.totalwar.com

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by sassbarman View Post
    Again a little off topic, but I just had to chime in on those people here and on the other boards getting really excited about this expansion paving the way for a WW1 based game. I just can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want a totalwar game based on trench warfare. I really hope they don't go that direction; I couldn't imagine anything more disastrous for the series.
    While it seems like the next logical step forward from the expansion I am one hundred percent with you here. And that's leaving aside the fact that the announcement of some kind of WW1: Total War would only delay a Rome II Total War. I know which one of those I would want more.

That aside I still look forward to the little excursion towards modern gunpowder units in FotS.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid Sidekick View Post
    It is going to be a stand-alone expansion, if you own Shogun2 it will add to the original game as well, but you don't have to own "Total War: Shogun 2" to play it. And as far as i am aware it will be priced as an expansion. The price will be announced but I don't have the exact details.
    There will be a patch at about the same time for owners of Shogun 2.

Hope that helps
    Thanks for the answer.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

I think this will be a great expansion even though the period is not really my interests. The flip side is that i pray that the TW series steers well away in the future from the 20th century........call me old fashion but i prefer archaic weapons over firearms newer than flintlock musketts

I'm really looking forward to FotS and it is logical for CA to implement some of the Napoleonic tech as they already have that all polished up ready to slot in.

I don't think this marks a move towards TW:WW1 - simply because that just wouldn't work. Nobody wants to run huge hordes of people at trenches full of machine-guns and watch them get marmalised - it would just be boring. Gatling guns will be powerful indeed, but make them expensive and logistically difficult enough and they will be fine. I really liked the way matchlocks were incorporated in Shogun2 - you either had to go Christianity with all the associated difficulties, or you would have to wait so long to tech up that the game would be nearing it's end. I've actually only just built my first unit of Matchlock Samurai in a Shogun campaign the other day and that is right at the death of a 40 province Tokugawa campaign where I was specifically aiming for gunpowder mastery.

So anyway, in FotS assuming you have to 'sell your soul to the foreign devil' and pay huge amounts of money and lose honour in order to access gatling technology I think it will integrate very well and provide for some genuine interesting options.

@ Intrepid Sidekick - that is interesting regarding FF, I have been taking great pains to not be shooting my own troops in the back lately!! I might be able to let my guard down a bit - would be nice as matchlocks are bluddy hard to manage on legendary when you can't pause the game!!

Other than the western front, there were quite a few theaters of WWI that didn't consist of huge masses of humanity running at the enemy while being gunned down by machine gun fire. In the east, it was much more fluid as well as the mid east and parts of Africa. That said, I doubt any of those theaters would make a good game in and of themselves as diplomacy would be fairly boring. The only exception to that might be the balkans where different countries were getting involved in the war at various points in time. And even then, I think the mechanics of the state would still be too complex for the game.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Love the trailer. Makes me proud to be American.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nowake View Post
    frog
    And in view of that, I’ll allow myself a bit of off topic as well and write that, in my opinion, the perfect European total war would be situated in the XIIth century. The Mediterranean commercial rebirth with the Norman kingdom of Sicily at its centre, the actual crusades and the kingdoms they spawned at the height of their power, such as it was, the last great Holy Roman Emperors, Henri the 2nd and the Capetian kings which prepared France for the victory of Bouvines, the last whiff of Byzantine splendour and the Balkan kingdoms at their most vibrant. You can even squeeze in the Mongol invasions with a bit of alternative history in there. Basically, the one true century of Medieval Europe, the limited timeframe allowing for solid, well-anchored gameplay.
    very much agreed.

would like four turns per year tho.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Disagree; well, sort of.

While it it the ideal time frame for a game TW can't present it well. It would do a poor job representing the economy and politics of the time. While I'd love to see a pre-plague game this isn't the right game for it.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 01-31-2012 at 16:33.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It sounds like an interesting experiment with the potential for very strong themes, which I hope would be reflected in the gameplay mechanics. Looking forward to it.

[Mumble mumble Chinese Total War mumble. Mumble addition of operational layer mumble 17-18th century Europe mumble.]

There are two decently detailed previews available. One is at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, the other at Eurogamer. Language warning on the comments sections of both sites.

While I still have zero interest in the post-gunpowder setting and style of warfare, there are a few bits in those previews which sound as if they could be intriguing. The new version of realm divide is one such. I like the idea of growing powerful enough to plant my flag and declare "This is what we're going to have. Don't like it? Come over here and tell me!" The social change and rebellion stuff could be fun too if it's implemented well. By "well" I mean not those infuriating little pop up rebel armies which plagued older titles in the series.
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 02-03-2012 at 21:37.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Why would anyone want a WW1 TW game? The whole 3D battle thing is nice but if it is to be kept realistic in any way, you can get rid of it then.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    The late-game Realm Divide stage is no longer a target painted on your forehead for everyone to aim at; Fall asks you to decide, once and for all, if you want to support the open-minded Imperial or isolationist Shogun agenda. All the trading, agreements, conniving, assassinations and daughter-marrying you've made up to this point can determine your allies and enemies for the final push. You could opt out of the entire process to form your own Republic, of course, but get ready for the incoming pain if you do.
    So It sounds like Realm divide will present you with three choices in Fall:

1. Side with the Shogunate, allying with all shogunate clans still alive and going to war with all Imperial clans
    2. Side with the Imperials, allying with all imperial clans still alive and going to war with all Shogunate clans
    3. Delcare for yourself, going to war with all clans still alive. (Shogun 2 realm divide)

I.. like that! Sounds very fun, and not at all unlike what some of the modding community have already done with RD. Good stuff.

While many people here have many different expectations. I'm all for it! This game is exactly what I needed. I read here, a couple of months back, that someone here on one of these threads had suggested a Boshin -Gempi war type for the Shogun series, so whoever who said deserves a reward, really. I like the Napoleonic period, though, I wish more could have been added in that game to be honest. I loved the game, but I didn't like Empire, for me the graphics failed on the battle screen. Napoleon was much better and a vast improvement, And thanks to that, Napoleonic total war 3 made it even much better.

Froggy here and others may have no interest in the gunpowder era. But I do, many people say guns are for sissys. When you're in front of a 19th century French regiment and a 90 mm gun, I'd like to hear what you say about it. Not that I'm trying to offend anyone here, but I am excited about this game. As Froggy said, It's taken years to finally perfect total war for what it is. I mean, the technology we have in this era makes it possible for us to do almost anything. There should be an Amercian total war, I mean, Civil total war. If this goes successful, then CA will have to go the Amercian civil war period. Because you will retain the realism and using the FOTS model and Napoleon to make a good five year civil war game. Nowake has also said great things. The only two dissapointments in the total war series for me was Empire and Medieval 2. I loved the graphics in Medieval 2, but it caused the world in that game to go upheaval. Empire failed for me because of glitches and the battle screen graphics. For me ,it just didn't work. I was expecting a bit more realism. Its based on the 18th century of course!

Anyway, back to the Boshin era, I am also quite suspicous of the multiplayer bit. For example, they've made it possiable for the Sengoku Jidhai era to fight with the Boshin era, just like the Gempi era. If you ask me, The Gempi era should have been first. So , it's three eras of Japan they have covered altogether. I really wish they continue on the Napoleonic era, make a expansion for the Russian Campagin.

Anyway, thank you CA! Lets hope it doesn't have any glitches and bugs on release.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12