Thread: Calvary, high level deaths in vain

Default Calvary, high level deaths in vain

A problem with calvary, that I am not sure can be fixed.

In EB, calvary units charge regardless of situation. What makes it worse, is for factions like Rome, the family members are cavalry units. So for battles in which I have a roman general coming as reinforcements (they attack a critical spot and my combined armies are to big to allow for player control), I will win the battle with little causalities, among them the consul of rome. Nothing is more frustrating then to have two stacks of armies fighting a few iberian milites, and losing a consul and two tribune militum because they decided to do a charge and refuse to retreat, while there 500 units of troops stand by idly watching their leaders battle in vain.

I do know that general units are now on foot. So I guess the question is: Does the AI in medieval treat commanding units with any more regard?

Default Re: Calvary, high level deaths in vain

Quote Originally Posted by VARVS View Post
    Does the AI in medieval treat commanding units with any more regard?
    no - simple
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

If I'm not completely confused you can order the whole reinforcement army to stay back, advance to archery range only or to attack though.
    So you can at least prevent your reinforcing general(s) from dying due to AI madness. :)

I do know that general units are now on foot.
    I guess you misunderstood the screenshots of the generals preview. :)
    The general units that were mounted in EB I will be mounted in EB II as well. (And there were not many EB I general units that were not cavalry units - infact I can think of only Casse (chariots), Koinon Hellenon (foot) and Sab'yn (foot) at the moment.)

The reason you didn't see mounted carthaginian or roman generals in the preview is just the fact (I guess at least) that the horse models weren't finished at the time the preview was produced.
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 11-29-2011 at 02:31.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    no - simple
    actually, modders have managed to get the ai generals to be much more cautious in mods like stainless steel.
    still not perfect, but much better.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

If I'm not completely confused you can order the whole reinforcement army to stay back, advance to archery range only or to attack though.
    yeah, but when i found that out I had already losthald of a rather good fullstack to an AI halfstackduringa Bridge fight -.-(silly me controllingthe guys guarding the bridge and waiting for a heroic victory)

infact I can think of only Casse (chariots), Koinon Hellenon (foot) and Sab'yn (foot) at the moment.)
    and sweboz(foot)

btw do Maruyans Takshilians getElephant generals?
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

So far about the EBII's general's bodyguards, I think that the Pritanoi will be foot aswell; while for Taksashila, in the video preview we saw them on horse, would be nice if they took over EB's Taxilan Agema...

The generals of Taksashila will ride chariots.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    So you can at least prevent your reinforcing general(s) from dying due to AI madness. :)
    How do you command them to stand back? Tiberius Cornelius Dollabella would have benefited from this...

In Kingdoms, you can order your reinforcing army (not sure how well they respond though), but this was not possible in RTW and thus not in EB as well. But this feature will most likely be there in EB 2 as it is based on kingdoms

There are 3 stances- attack, hold, advance to missile range.

Attack is an all out charge, Hold the AI does fairly well keeping its line together etc and AI units will generally obey if both generals are alive, of one dies then even in hold the AI is likely to all out charge. Missile range is fairly useless for anything other than HA skirmishers. If you want infantry guarding archers to advance leave them in hold position but indicate a different spot on the battlefield for the AI to hold at.

Germanicus got AI doing much better lately but still its not perfect but probably getting close to the best can do with MTW2 engine. I've heard that EB2 plans to have units with overall higher morale than many mods and more units with leadership attribute so the AI general dying won't always lead to a mass rout.
    Last edited by Ichon; 11-30-2011 at 05:02.