Thread: challenging campaign?

Default challenging campaign?

Can anyone recommend a really difficult/challenging campaign? Im playing warlord edition, 1.02
    Ive already conquered most of the lands on Expert as: imagawa clan 1550 and oda 1580, (i disable geishas, really annoying) Is the Sengoku Jidai scenario harder?

Thanks

Default Re: challenging campaign?

Just starting as clan tokugawa 1580, this will be interesting, surrounding on all sides by oda, takeda and shimaza. This will be a major challenge.

ps. oda 1580 was the hardest challenge i faced. that campaign took me the longest with many huge battles and lots of enemies on all sides (mori/shimazu/uesugi/takeda).

Basically I abandoned Hida at the start and Uesugi quickly captured the area. I then trained up a ton of ashigara's on my borders so that no one would attack me. I also sent my emissaries/priests west to ally with mori/shimazi, then later with hojo, uesugi. I then focused on building up my economy (churches, ports, portugese trading posts and then farms) in order to mass produce troops.
    Last edited by adann; 12-06-2011 at 10:27.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Impressive adann. The best I could do was winning as oda in the regular SJ campaign on Hard difficulty. I loved the game and played often but never quite mastered it's intricacies like some other players have. Welcome to the org and the sword dojo, it is nice to have you here. :)
    Silence is beautiful

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I'm sure opinions vary, but for me Oda 1580 has to take the top spot for difficulty. A long time back I posted an AAR called Nobunaga's Ambition for this campaign (you might want to take a look at it just for fun). The sheer numbers of troops thrown at you, the relentless multiple attacks all along your borders, having to fight a two-front war against very rich opponents........that and the fact that if you lose even a single battle in the early stages, your campaign may well be lost already. Adds a great degree of tension to each and every battle.

I've always thought the ultimate Shogun nightmare would be to play Oda 1580 without teppo
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    ...The sheer numbers of troops thrown at you, the relentless multiple attacks all along your borders, having to fight a two-front war against very rich opponents........that and the fact that if you lose even a single battle in the early stages, your campaign may well be lost already. Adds a great degree of tension to each and every battle.
    Yikes! You got that right.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

I have something rather challenging on my hard drive that I keep meaning to upload. Mail my username@hotmail.com if you'd like to try it. A bit fantastical, but fun.

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

My vote is to Oda 1580 Campaign too. No matter what you do, Imagawa Battlefield Ninjas and Takeda Armoured Cavalry armies attacks you together immediately. If you lose even one battle, the chance of survival is pretty slim.

One time, when I lost that particular battle, I decided to continue playing to see if I can survive. After my defeat, rebels appeared my hinterland, and I went down to only 3 provinces. But then I somehow managed to fight back and win the total war. It was so fun, because it is always fun to win starting from the bottom.

Anyway, since you said you already played it, I recommend Shimazu 1530. Yes you start in well-protected place but you have no farms to make koku, and if you lose a lot while crossing the river at the northern Kyushu, you can't manage to control the rich areas behind it, and there is no solution to come back.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Wow...been months since anyone's posted in here

1530 Shimazu or Mori campaigns have to be the most difficult ones to generate koku, at the start. 1580 Oda is still tops on my list for overall difficulty, but at least you control and can conquer provinces with rich farmland.
    High Plains Drifter

ReuctantSamurai, don't worry, I will probably come back to STW forum once or twice in a year and haunt the 7 years old posts, until the day I die

We all should! I wish I could make the game run on the newer computers ..
    The purpose of a fish trap is to catch fish, and when the fish are caught, the trap is forgotten. The purpose of a rabbit snare is to catch rabbits. When the rabbits are caught, the snare is forgotten. The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.