Thread: Little enemy stacks

Default Little enemy stacks

Hello. I played an enjoyed Rome and Medieval II total war, but haven't played a TW game in a while. While the AI always did some questionable things in these games, the only thing that really bugged me was the fact that you would often only face large enemy stacks within cities, while the AI loved sending an annoying number of small stacks roaming through the countryside. My question: has this annoyance been fixed in Empire or any of the subsequent titles? Thanks for your input.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Little enemy stacks

The AI is much improved from ETW on. While you sometimes find smaller stacks in an ambush, you don't find them often. Half stacks are about the smallest you will find.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

This is awesome news! That was my major complaint about the Total War series. Thanks!

In my experience, the AI uses small stacks to raid you, ie burning your farms, etc. This makes perfect sense since raiding hurts your economy with small cost to the raider. You can counter them with small stacks of your own. The AI can be relied upon to send large stacks your way when it means business.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.