Thread: Abour forts.

Default Abour forts.

Hi everyone, as u guys know, the forts usually are not well represented in the game (imedieval total war campaing) wondering how u guys are going to mod it, will they disapear? (as u know in the brit campaing they didint, at least pre-setted ones if i recall good). will they be usefull in any way? give some bonus, helping to control the province, like if player gets the fort in the province the control over it increases? well thats all i guess.
    Ah... and i cant wait for the release :D

Default Re: Abour forts.

They will be used to represent important settlements in regions other than the capital.

on a less official note I also heard they will provide some sort of income, but don't take my word for it;)
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Germanic tribes their defenses(not at their towns ofcourse) were small hills with wooden fences and small "doorways' in the hills, Belgian tribes used to plant long rows of bushes and hedges to make some form of wall on strategic places. It may sound stupid, but just try to walk through a hedge and it makes sense.
    Would be so amusing to have that implemented on reasonable terms as forts, but who am I kidding eh? ^^

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asugrynd View Post
    Belgian tribes used to plant long rows of bushes and hedges to make some form of wall on strategic places. It may sound stupid, but just try to walk through a hedge and it makes sense.
    Would be so amusing to have that implemented on reasonable terms as forts, but who am I kidding eh? ^^
    Only the Nervii used this tactic (at least as far as our historical sources inform us, archaeology cannot detect this sort of thing) the more westernly tribes made extensive use of the Fécamp/Tallus Massif style rampart and in some cases the less effective Murus Gallicus type wall.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Mm, the fécamp style probably has been part of their strategies, well just having the higher ground basically, that doesn't excludes any others though.
    The Murus gallicus would strike me as being build around towns, not so much forts in the woods.
    Though I don't wish to contradict what you stated, only wanted to point out that the terrain was their best fort perhaps and influencing it here and there in their favor would only have been wise.
    In game it may be interesting to give some good terrain/ambush bonus for the Belgic units(or any faction that needs this) to compensate for some lack in good defensive buildings.
    Or perhaps the option to copy their enemy?
    I hope someone with the means to look this up reads these posts and points out, what's possible or not.

To get back to the subject of forts, in general I wish to say that it doesn't have to be a solid building necessarily if certain factions didn't have these.
    Regarding historical fact, cleverly build,dug/set up; traps/moats/hills/ambushsites etc, could be made just as powerfull, it just provides the clever use of the general.
    The way Arminius defeated the Romans by harrassing them on their way, to eventually crush what tired men remained of them in front of some rather mediocre wall might be a good example.

Hope I wasn't offending and clear on my point. Cheers.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

The great virtue of Fécamp appears not so much to have been height but the density of its ramparts and width of it's ditch meant it was very resilient to Roman seiege engines.

Quote Originally Posted by asugrynd View Post
    The Murus gallicus would strike me as being build around towns, not so much forts in the woods.
    You would be surprised, I was recently digging at a Murus Gallicus site near Bourges and it enclosed a farmstead which was smaller than some modern day houses. In the territory of the Bituriges Murus Gallicus appears to have been a status symbol as much as a means of defence.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius