Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talking Strategy

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Talking Strategy

How do I take a screen shot of the game??
    Use a freeware program like FRAPS. It's what I used to post my screenies above......

A word about NoDachi......don't expect miracles out of them. They hit hard and cause a lot of casualties, but they take heavy casualties as well, even with armor upgrades, due to a low defensive value. I use them in co-operation with my cavalry in flanking maneuvers. They are one of the fastest moving infantry units in the game, and as such they can be the inner pincer of a flanking maneuver. They intercept any enemy spears that try to interdict my outer pincer of cavalry.

They can also be used in a frontal assault, wedge formation, to break a stubborn enemy defense, but this won't leave many of them standing at the end.

A screenshot of your progress so far would be nice. Again, just Google the FRAPS program and use it to your hearts content.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 01-12-2012 at 19:33.
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by critviz View Post
    I got a legendary swords man already or I wouldn't be planning to train some. Im not that big of a noob!! gosh! JK
    Sorry about that. Thanks for taking excessive advice in a good spirit.

Reluctant Samurai is right that No Dachi have their limits. Beware the enemy archer, who thinks that your No Dachis look so much more stylish lying down with an arrow or two in each of them. Still, if you can't make cavalry yet, then they are the best flanker you've got apart from your Royal guard.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Oh, and I forgot to add that if you use FRAPS, you will need some kind of photo editor to convert the images to .jpg format, and then you'll need a subscription (free) to an image hosting site like PhotoBucket or ImageShack to host your pics. You then post the link to them here.....

Beware the enemy archer, who thinks that your No Dachis look so much more stylish lying down with an arrow or two in each of them.
    BB is spot on with this. There are two units that are absolute magnets for enemy arrow fire: nodachi and warrior monks. The AI will ignore every other unit you have, including your own archers, even to the point of endangering its archers to melee from getting too close to your front lines trying to shoot at ND or WM units in the back.........
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 01-13-2012 at 17:26.
    High Plains Drifter

Wow. I just downloaded FRAPS but didnt know about the second part. Ill try to put some pictures tomorrow. Good info about No Dachi. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    There are two units that are absolute magnets for enemy arrow fire: nodachi and warrior monks. The AI will ignore every other unit you have, including your own archers, even to the point of endangering its archers to melee from getting too close to your front lines trying to shoot at ND or WM units in the back.........
    I never really thought about it, but you make it sound like a ND or WM unit could be used as bait to entrap enemy foot archers, and maybe horse archers or gun units too. That might sometimes be a more valuable role than flanker. Any comments Reluctant Samurai?
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Considering the cost of producing ND and WM's vs. the cost of SA, I dare say you'd better have koku to spare if you want to adopt that strategy
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Considering the cost of producing ND and WM's vs. the cost of SA, I dare say you'd better have koku to spare if you want to adopt that strategy
    Well, I never tried it out, so I don't know if your ND or WM unit would have to spend much time in range of enemy fire, or if you could stay just out of range most of the time. In any case, Shimazu pay 225 for NDs and Samurai archers cost 300 IIRC, so it could theoretically be cost effective, even with moderate to heavy casualties. There are probably better ways, but I might try it anyway just to see what happens.

Arthur Conan Doyle

I have actually being using some ND and they just keep getting slaughter by enemy archers... Change of strategy I guess. I have seeing that I get less casualties when I fight in the woods which is that good but kind of works.

What do you think of my campaign map guys??

Looks like you are managing better now. You've got all of your starting island except one rebel outpost. You might want to put someone in Bungo before any rebels invade from the neighboring island. Looks like you lost a province to the Mori. Are they at war with you?

Arthur Conan Doyle

@ Brandy Blue

I usually keep my ND out on the flanks, and the rare campaign I use WM's I keep them in the rear to be used at a point where the enemy front is starting to waver. Even with gold armor both unit types will take significant damage if you let enemy SA take uncontested aim at them....

@ critviz

You were warned ND get to be pin cushions if you let the enemy shoot at you for any length of time. You need to get a province with iron sands so your ND can get armor upgrades...it helps...a bit.....(and that means going to war with Mori since there are no provinces on Shikoku with iron sands...but just across the straits in Nagato)

They move pretty fast so put them out on the flanks or in the rear of your formation until they are needed. Then you can "bull-rush" enemy units so that they spend a minimum of time under fire. Also, use loose formation when you absolutely have to approach enemy archers, and close ranks quickly before engaging in melee.

In any case, be prepared to be constantly retraining ND to bring them back to full strength.

I'd give the same advice as BB....kick the rebels out of Hizen ASAP, and get an army stationed in Bungo. You'll need Bungo to launch any planned invasion into Shikoku, and Hizen is one of the richer provinces in Kyushu.

Looks like you lost a province to the Mori.
    IIRC, in the 1550 campaign, Shimazu does not have Nagato as a starting province. But it's been awhile since I've played any 1550 campaign's so I could be wrong.....
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 01-17-2012 at 21:30.
    High Plains Drifter

So two factions have being eliminated because of their Damayos dying of old age. I got some territory from one of them but lost it quickly... I got the light blue clan right up north as you can see and they are really powerful. I dont think I can do much but restart the campaign....

SHOGUN 2012-01-17 20-39-57-24.bmp

I did something weird with the picture but you can still download it. I really need some help!
    Last edited by critviz; 01-19-2012 at 07:12.

Two things that immediately stand out to me in looking at that map:

1. You are 31 yrs. into the campaign and have not built one single port

2. 58 koku??? Yikes!!!

At this stage, you are indeed likely to be facing big hordes coming from central Japan. Perhaps it is time for a restart....

Perhaps a more detailed account of what you are doing might help in folks being able to give pointers. Like where you are improving farms, where you are placing your dojos, what troops you are training, etc.....

And I might add that it helps alot to fight battles in the Custom Battles feature. I'm not sure that it's available in the original release, but if so, you can practice with units you are having trouble utilizing, and against units that give you the most trouble. I always had trouble with cavalry matchups, and in using guns. After dozens of custom-made battles using those units I had a much better time of it in-game.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 01-21-2012 at 00:45.
    High Plains Drifter

I do have a port and a trading post with the dutch. It seems that my armies are twice as big as theirs and they still gets trash by them. They do have alot of upgrades. I haven't played since i uploaded the pic because I really don't want to loose. I have tried restarting from the save game every time and doing different stuff-- but nothing.

I do have a port and a trading post with the dutch.
    It's not apparent from the screenie...must be off screen, or something

It seems that my armies are twice as big as theirs and they still gets trash by them.
    I would need more specific information to be able to offer suggestions...

...what is your army composition?...what is your enemy's army composition?...which provinces are you fighting in? (I know most of the battle maps by heart, so I could perhaps offer set-up suggestions)

I haven't played since i uploaded the pic because I really don't want to loose.
    That's what makes the original STW still playable for me...the AI is good enough to hand me my head if I make mistakes, even today. No shame in losing...trust me...I got my butt whipped on more than one occasion

Seriously...more details are needed.
    High Plains Drifter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12