Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fan ideas for your new MOD.

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Default Re: Fan ideas for your new MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaSalsa View Post
    PS: you might notice I said FAN, the word pops up a lot this thread. Try looking it up what it means....
    Yes it comes from fanum, which denotes some sort of temple, and therefore fan, being the short form of fanatic, means "religious zealot". Which is why I usually don't utilize that word when referring to myself.

Very appropriate though for football enthusiasts.
    Last edited by athanaric; 01-12-2012 at 19:38.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

VivaSalsa,
    welcome to the .org!

I think the reason people are reacting negatively to your comments is because threads such as this one pop up constantly where people request things that are either insufficiently research (historically) or just impossible to do in modding the game. This grates on nerves and probably causes the reaction to be harsher than people really mean it to be.
    The other issue is that you have not yet played the original EB. A number of the things you have brought up would have been addressed if you had played that mod.

As to the discussion of infantry experience. I think VivaSalsa is making a valid point that soldiers do gain experience from being in a battle, even if they them-self do not fight, and I think this could even be extended to saying that soldiers gain experience from being on a campaign, even without battles.
    That said, the experience system of the TW engine does not reflect this type of experience. As far as I know there is no feasible way for the TW engine to properly represent the greater discipline and moral of veteran soldiers. Realistically, I think experience would be more likely to affect things such ass movement rates, ability to maneuver and deploy in battle, ability to hold a formation, etc... However, since in game experience only makes a unit better at fighting, I think it is logical to award it based on how much fighting that unit has done, rather than on other factors which would, in reality, make one a better soldier in other ways.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VivaSalsa View Post
    Yeah you are right, why bring anything up for discussion...

You are acting like I don't like whats going on or something, that EB(II) is a bad idea! I just put some ideas/questions out there, and hoped other people would also post their ideas/questions here. Which is why I started this thread in the first place. So take a pill, relax and give us your views on the game, what you think can improve, or would like to see different.

That goes for everybody actually, fans can have a positive input on the making of a game.

PS: you might notice I said FAN, the word pops up a lot this thread. Try looking it up what it means....
    Heh, you don't want to argue with me. And I have no intention of arguing with you. But you should play the original mod. Its a very fun game despite its shortcomings and the team has done some incredible work. The breadth of information is truly staggering, when you consider these are just normal people working on a hobby of theirs then it becomes even more amazing. The love and care and detail that has been put in to every little aspect, even down to little snippets of humour hidden around the place.

I whole-heartedly, without any malice, suggest you give it a shot.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Rome doesn't have dudes with bows, it has dudes with slings and some javelins. You will notice that the majority of archery is in the east. Mostly due to the weather conditions and the technical innovations that allowed composite bows. These bows do not hold up well in damp/humid weather.
    Good info.

If early Rome had factional archers, IMO they would have been like Hellenic Toxotai - i.e. crap. Accensi slingers are better than Toxotai archers.

But if someone wants Rome to have archers (crap or otherwise) instead of slingers, it is possible to mod them in yourself.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Roma afaik used only auxiliares for archery...
    Saw now the OP was interested in recruiting them specifically in the city of Rome, as Blxz pointed out you have slingers there, but for the whole of the peninsula you have both Toxotai and Sotaroas...
    Plus in Sardinia you even get Dorkim Shardanim...

trust me i was in that position and odysseus was always breaking my balls the schytians and the syracusans granted me a few ridiculous situations and for most of my sugestions they where never adopted simply because the game doesn´t allow it i mean the game engine

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    In EB I, Roman archers only come with the second reform and IIRC only in some provinces.
    Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Rome has factional slingers until the Marian reforms (where they're replaced by scorpions and auxiliary archers). Also, you can hire [...] Hellenic slingers (great) in Kalabria and Sicily.
    Also, try out the recruitable Kretan Archers.
    athanaric, are you sure of these two statements?
    In all my roman campaigns (and I played - though never finished - a lot of them, stopped counting after about 10 ) I never got factional archers with the marian reforms (only the Augustan ones - a shame that I only reached them once).
    And I never was able to train a single hellenic slinger.

I absolutely agree about the Toxotai Kretikoi though. I always make sure that every legion has a unit of them (one of the very few occasions where I neglect history - they are just too good to not hire them).
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 01-14-2012 at 01:49. Reason: the usual typos ... what else did you expect? ;-)
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    athanaric, are you sure of these two statements?
    In all my roman campaigns (and I played - though never finished - a lot of them, stopped counting after about 10 ) I never got factional archers with the marian reforms (only the Augustan ones - a shame that I only reached them once).
    And I never was able to train a single hellenic slinger.
    I forgot to mention that the factional dudes are only recruitable somewhere in the eastern Levant. Maybe they're Augustan and not Marian (I've never reached the Marian reforms yet). Being "Eastern Auxiliaries" and all that. Also, I just remembered that Rome can't recruit Sphendonetai. Which sucks, but then again you have Celtic and Numidian (IIRC) slingers, which are decent enough. Also, Numidian archers. You can also bribe units of Rhodian slingers, though you can't recruit them yourself.
    Last edited by athanaric; 01-14-2012 at 12:38.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

One thing I think should be included in the mod, is a fix for installing client rulers. In EB right now if you set up a client ruler their ethnic trait is picked seemingly randomly from the types of ethnicities the Faction can have as a trait. So it's pretty weird when the Carthiginians put a celto-punic in charge of a newly conquered Numidian province. Or a when a Pontic king puts a Skythian in charge of Cilicia. Maybe for some nations like the Seleukids, and Ptolomai it makes sense cause they are so multinational. But I still think that it would make sense if a Pontic king could put an Egyptian in charge of an Egyptian province or a Jewish King in charge of Jerusalem

You can say that again!!! It's just soooo Annoying to have Pontic celtae vollorix in upper italy Kimbroz Hellenic Merc generals in greece and so on.

Tho I think there has yet to be a path to a solution. :(
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

herm herodes was an arab and not a jew (altough he was married to a jewish princess)

so it makes sence for the basileus to put people they trust and have shown both their worth and their loyalty to them and besides everyone knows that cilicians only make good pirates and they never amount to much else in other areas

EB 2 wäre der Hammer! Ich vergöttere dieses Spiel und spiele den Mod Europa Barbarorum immer noch gerne. Was ich mir für einen zweiten Teil wünschen würde, wäre eine Anlehnung an Europa Barbarorum mit Seeschlachten, der Möglichkeit in der selben Stadt mehrere Einheiten gleichzeitig auszubilden und mehrere Gebäude gleichzeitig zu bauen, alle Götter gleichzeitig in einer Stadt mit Tempeln ehren zu können, mehr Einheiten in die Schlacht führen zu können, Wiedereinführung der Kriegshunde, mehr Möglichkeiten bei der Ausrüstung der Soldaten mit verschiedenen Schmiedetypen, Schumachern, Helmmachern, Bognern, Schwertschmieden etc. und dass diese Ausrüstungsgegenstände sichtbar sind oder eben nicht, wenn nicht ausgerüstet. Ich würde mir mehr Möglichkeiten beim Handel wünschen, so dass zum Beispiel Schuhe die beim Schuhmacher in Capua gemacht werden per optionaler Handelsroute nach Rom geliefert werden können, um dort die Legionäre mit Caligulae zu versorgen, mit Schwertern aus Noricum, Kettenhemden aus Gallien etc.
    Ich würde mir auch wünschen, dass es wie im Bello Gallico beschrieben, möglich wäre die Getreideversorgung einer feindlichen Armee zu kappen, deren Tross anzugreifen oder die Wasserversorgung einer Stadt zu kappen. Legionslager sollten zu einer Stadt ausbaubar sein, wie so viele Stadte, wie Köln, aus Legionslagern entstanden sind.
    Last but not least wünsche ich mir spannendere Belagerungen wie weiter unten bereits beschrieben, die Möglichkeit zur Kapitulation und übergabe einer Stadt, noch mehr Realismus in den Schlachten, und dass die eigenen Fernkämpfer ein bisschen intelligenter sind und nicht stur eigene Einheiten in der Schusslinie ignorieren und töten!

Mahlzeit Tauern.

Da bräuchte man aber nen anderes Spiel weder rome noch medieval 2 bieten da hinreichend Möglichkeiten. Das mit den Hunden ließ sich sicher machen aber Ick glob dat die herrn von EB die aus gutem grund aka mangelnder historischer relevanz rausgenommen haben. Grundsätzlich solltest du dich aber hier im forum versuchen in englisch auszudrücken, ick bin hier zwar nich die forums-polizei aber allgemein sehn die leute es nich gerne wenn jemand inner fremden sprache postet und die sprache überdies noch gesprochen wird :D

I'm just telling him that most of his suggestions are not possible due to the TW engine. That dogs were removed on purpose and that he should refrain himself to english on these forums.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Historic generals showing up to help their faction, also could their be historical uprsisings but they should be tied to certain conditions not a date :)

I'm liking the ideas on the thread. i would like to see one thing added in the next game, although I don't know if its possible.

i am talking about the ability for secondary gernerals to be able to receive experience in battles. For example, my faction leader's brother's unit did very well in a battle, killing about 500 units with endless charges to the flank and "commanding" a battle group in my army. It was a let down to see that he was still Green. Its only realistic that secondary generals gain traits that show they have been in battle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12