Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Lords of the Danube OOC thread

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default Re: Lords of the Danube OOC thread

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I believe we are not supposed to queue anything, NB takes care of the recruitment, you just say what you want recruited and where, right? That's what I did anyway.
    Sorry no, you should do the actual recruitment and such, just record it all in the end of turn financial report as you did.
    Phonics, you did it right.

Welcome Ignoramus!

Feel free to look at the save. The stuff that your character controls is listed in the first post of the OOC thread (I will try to keep this up to date for all characters, listing provinces, titles, agents, and armies.) Up to date rules are also listed there.

Ignoramus - Bokony a Huntpaznan nembol
    Duke of Brasov
    Titles: Palatine
    Armies: The garrison of Brasov
    Agents: Bishop Lambert az Opor nembol

also, I have created a new thread for saved games.

Myth, I went ahead and did that recruitment for you, but in the future, you can do it yourself.

the new save is in the save thread.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 01-17-2012 at 05:15.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Just some more clarification. Having checked the save, I'm debating whether I want to swap to the other free character. Does the Palatine get to judge upon Rule disputes like the Kaiser in KotR? And can the King strip him of his title?

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus View Post
    Just some more clarification. Having checked the save, I'm debating whether I want to swap to the other free character. Does the Palatine get to judge upon Rule disputes like the Kaiser in KotR? And can the King strip him of his title?
    I'm not sure how it worked in KotR, but basically he does indeed get to judge upon IC rules disputes. However, if he penalizes a noble the penalty must be okayed by the king. (so he can't just screw over all the other nobles).
    And yes, the title is granted, and can be taken away, by the king.
    IC, Of course, if a king were to strip the title of a Palatine who was seen as just it might inflame the nobility, and their has been discussion among the nobility in the past of the Palatine being elected by them, rather than chosen by the king.
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

I'm really enjoying this game so far - I have loads of ideas for stories and I'm finding myself thinking about it a lot...looking forward to it getting rolling!
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey View Post
    I'm really enjoying this game so far - I have loads of ideas for stories and I'm finding myself thinking about it a lot...looking forward to it getting rolling!
    glad to hear it!

Thanks for the clarification, NB. As tempting as it is to act as the evil henchman of the king, I think I'll switch characters if I may, and take Andras.

Also, has anyone contacted GH, TC, or Tristan? Or any of the other KotR/LotR veterans? We definitely need to get some of them to join!

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

I haven't, but please feel free to.
    And you may certainly take Andras

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Lol NB just threw a hot potato at me via diplomacy
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

well, I can't let you guys get off easy you know.
    :)

Do fill us in at court!

Just to let everyone know, I am calling the save in about 30 hours. :)

Also, has anyone contacted GH, TC, or Tristan? Or any of the other KotR/LotR veterans? We definitely need to get some of them to join!
    I just sent a pm to these guys and econ21 describing the game and inviting them to join.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Done with the save.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...id=205&id=9853

Finances: Recruited one unit of Hungarian nobles, spending 970 of my 1000 florins.
    Castle income is 1947
    Upkeep is 885 for all non free upkeep units. I think my castle can also support the nobles I'm recruiting. If not that will throw off that projected upkeep.
    So, profit of 1062
    Are we paying our general's wages?
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Done with the save.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...id=205&id=9853

Finances: Recruited one unit of Hungarian nobles, spending 970 of my 1000 florins.
    Castle income is 1947
    Upkeep is 885 for all non free upkeep units. I think my castle can also support the nobles I'm recruiting. If not that will throw off that projected upkeep.
    So, profit of 1062
    Are we paying our general's wages?
    Generals do not have wages int his version of the game, so no. Also, recruited units don't have upkeep until next turn, so that is when you will begin paying it. In other words, you did everything right except that this should go in the save thread :)

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

But everyone else has been posting it here and I'd be lonely by myself in the save thread.

While we're on the subject would you prefer an itemized report? Pavise spearmen (200 upkeep) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    Generals do not have wages int his version of the game, so no. Also, recruited units don't have upkeep until next turn, so that is when you will begin paying it. In other words, you did everything right except that this should go in the save thread :)
    Last edited by Zim; 01-18-2012 at 05:19.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    But everyone else has been posting it here and I'd be lonely by myself in the save thread.

While we're on the subject would you prefer an itemized report? Pavise spearmen (200 upkeep) etc.
    Nah, you don't have to itemize it.

Do I have to worry about my SS6.4 settings being the same each time, or is it irrelevant once a campaign's started?

Do I have to worry about my SS6.4 settings being the same each time, or is it irrelevant once a campaign's started?
    it is relevant i believe. so to be safe you should change them each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
    it is relevant i believe. so to be safe you should change them each time.
    Thanks for that. Will make sure I do. BTW, does anyone know what the limit for childbearing for female characters in SS6.4 is?

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey folks,

Thanks for the invite, don't think I'll be able to take you up on it at the moment but I'm hoping this isn't the case in the future. In the meantime, this setup looks pretty interesting and I'm sure I don't even need to wish you "best of luck" with it.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Hey folks,

Thanks for the invite, don't think I'll be able to take you up on it at the moment but I'm hoping this isn't the case in the future. In the meantime, this setup looks pretty interesting and I'm sure I don't even need to wish you "best of luck" with it.
    Thanks GH, and I hope to see you here in the future!

In SS it gets progressively more difficult for a woman to give birth past 30. Around 40 it's pretty much useless to try. Which is why marrying the 40 year old virgin to an enemy FH is a great way to stunt his royal line.

That's really annoying then - we have 4 princesses which we could have married off to generals, but its too much of a risk, as unlike in the Middle Ages in MTWII you've only got one shot at it.

Save's done BTW.

so it is!

I was hoping House Stark and cecil would make it, but it is just the first turn so I think they will be okay.
    Last edited by Nightbringer; 01-18-2012 at 11:52.

Hold on, NB can you recruit a Spy for me somewhere? I need to see what the ERE has this side of the Bosphorus.

Also. who of the player characters holds any title? I remember a list of titles that the King can give out.
    Last edited by Myth; 01-18-2012 at 12:48.

In V&V we rushed off in all directions starting wars with all our neighbours and got our asses handed to us by Cecil who was hotseat-controlling them all. It took us months to dig ourselves out of the hole.

Just don't say I didn't warn you all.

yep, I got one going for you in targoviste. Also, mithridate will be joining the game on turn 2. Welcome!

BTW Targoviste has always been a Bulgarian city. Hence no "Emir" for it as well. This is a girl I know from that town:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

She doesn't look like princess Jasmine from Aladdin, hence no Emir of Targoviste, please

Monkey: I don't want us to fight everyone. Ultimately though, it's up to the GM and he can always stomp the players, just like in a DnD game. If NB roleplays the ERE correctly they will be much weaker than what a SS game suggests, since the ERE traditionally had huge civil wars and a lot of backstbbing. Emperors changed on a regular basis and there was always some usurper somewhere grasping for the throne. Giving anything to Joe Schmoe who thinks he is emperor now is foolhardy, as in five years some new young buck can grab the throne and start a war to reclaim all of our lands under the pretext of it being part of the ancient Roman Empire at some point. I'm also hoping that the Pope and the Seljuks/K-shah and Egyptians can all lend a hand in reigning in the ERE.

Plus, we have HA's, so we can manage. Unless I've severely underestimated the ERE's strength in Europe they should not be able to stomp us effortlessly. Mikan's army alone is enough to stalemate that stack if lead correctly, and the settlements in Greece and Serbia are all poorly garrisoned.

The Cumans are quite bloodthirsty but that is only natural. But since there's no Mongols to be had there ain't no one that will step up for them, and if indeed the man with the tall white hat launches a Crusade against them, we can splatter them with the Crusader mercs.

Venice/HRE are the pre-ordained and GM approved conflict at the moment, and of that only Venice is a problem with those two stacks. If Rome doesn't help us with them, we can at least stall with forts until they overextend and are trapped in our lands. It might even be better to give them Zagreb if that means we can have Venice and it's trade!

In game terms, the ERE don't have Constantinople which means they cannot recruit/retrain Scholarii. Their other cav is tough but not capable of stomping human controlled armies just like that. Their infantry is HA fodder and thankfully they don't seem to have great archers that are available outside Constantinople. Overall, giving that city to the ERE and allowing them to recruit from it in an RR/RC game will just spell disaster whenever some ERE leader decides to attack us down the road.

With sufficient infantry I'm hoping that Ignoramus can defend the city in a few lead battles, that will give the rest of us more time to grab land. Whatever money I sack in the future I'll divide between him and you to bolster our two defensive forts. Cecil's and Zim's characters can both look to expanding our borders in the mean time.
    Last edited by Myth; 01-18-2012 at 13:37.

Thank you! Looking forward to this experience, this is exactly what ive been searching for... a long time :)

BTW Targoviste has always been a Bulgarian city. Hence no "Emir" for it as well. This is a girl I know from that town:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

She doesn't look like princess Jasmine from Aladdin, hence no Emir of Targoviste, please

Monkey: I don't want us to fight everyone. Ultimately though, it's up to the GM and he can always stomp the players, just like in a DnD game. If NB roleplays the ERE correctly they will be much weaker than what a SS game suggests, since the ERE traditionally had huge civil wars and a lot of backstbbing. Emperors changed on a regular basis and there was always some usurper somewhere grasping for the throne. Giving anything to Joe Schmoe who thinks he is emperor now is foolhardy, as in five years some new young buck can grab the throne and start a war to reclaim all of our lands under the pretext of it being part of the ancient Roman Empire at some point. I'm also hoping that the Pope and the Seljuks/K-shah and Egyptians can all lend a hand in reigning in the ERE.

Plus, we have HA's, so we can manage. Unless I've severely underestimated the ERE's strength in Europe they should not be able to stomp us effortlessly. Mikan's army alone is enough to stalemate that stack if lead correctly, and the settlements in Greece and Serbia are all poorly garrisoned.

The Cumans are quite bloodthirsty but that is only natural. But since there's no Mongols to be had there ain't no one that will step up for them, and if indeed the man with the tall white hat launches a Crusade against them, we can splatter them with the Crusader mercs.

Venice/HRE are the pre-ordained and GM approved conflict at the moment, and of that only Venice is a problem with those two stacks. If Rome doesn't help us with them, we can at least stall with forts until they overextend and are trapped in our lands. It might even be better to give them Zagreb if that means we can have Venice and it's trade!

In game terms, the ERE don't have Constantinople which means they cannot recruit/retrain Scholarii. Their other cav is tough but not capable of stomping human controlled armies just like that. Their infantry is HA fodder and thankfully they don't seem to have great archers that are available outside Constantinople. Overall, giving that city to the ERE and allowing them to recruit from it in an RR/RC game will just spell disaster whenever some ERE leader decides to attack us down the road.

With sufficient infantry I'm hoping that Ignoramus can defend the city in a few lead battles, that will give the rest of us more time to grab land. Whatever money I sack in the future I'll divide between him and you to bolster our two defensive forts. Cecil's and Zim's characters can both look to expanding our borders in the mean time.
    I agree completely with our good king, we have a lot to gain and little to lose holding Constantinople and taking ERE holdings in the balkan. Holding the city may risk uniting the ERE nobles with a single goal, but if held against an assault they should shatter and start fighting each other.

Venice is a great threat, but should not stray far from their pretty city.

btw I want to recommend a game out of the blue:

If you have not tried it, download Mount and Blade: Warband. Its very similar in ways to this, if you have questions about it just PM me and ill answer any questions. I also recommend updating and downloading the Diplomacy mod and battle sizer whom turns this "old" goldie into pure platinum. In short its a strategy rpg where you can build up an army and even empire literally from dirt bottom. Its hard to get into the first few hours but if you like this, i find it hard to belive you would not like or probably love MnB:Wb

Sorry bout that, TW may hold the spot next to my heart but that game is not far behind. All marvelous in its simple complexity!
    Last edited by Mithridate; 01-18-2012 at 13:48.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast