Thread: Historical Rome Total War Plan

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Historical Rome Total War Plan

Ok everyone, I am sure the ones I messaged at TWC know what this thread will be about. For others, well this thread will discuss what HRTW will be about. This is just in general. No specifics, as we will have other threads for that. I want everyone associated with HRTW, that means anyone who contributes to this mod to post in this thread what exactly do they want to see in this mod. I will of course go first by posting what I want to see myself, and the others should post when they see this. We will then take everyone's ideas and views, discuss/debate/consider each one until we have a set plan where everyone involved is happy. Now remember only post exactly what you want in it, and what you want to do for it. I do not want to see vague posts like this:

"I think Scythia should not be in game"
    "We should have Mundus Magnus map"
    "Let's add Archers to Carthage"

Those will not be accepted ideas or a viewpoints!

If anyone has an idea, argument, etc. I expect them to be clear about it, and give a educated detailed description and/or argument about their concern.

Everyone, I am taking this mod very seriously for now on, and if anyone wants to be involved they should follow suit. So here is a guide to what you should post.

1.Name at TWC (if different from here):
    2.What role do you want to partake in this mod? Your options are:

2a.Team Member: Meaning you are dedicated to the mod, will check in on a regular basis, and provide a consistent work flow. Also, list what position you would like to be or fill. Your options for those are these:
    a.2D Artist (ranges from, loading screens, faction symbols/banners, signatures, unit skins, and anything else that may apply)
    b.3D Artist (mainly making new models for units, editing models of current units, or making Unit Cards/UI's)
    c.Mapper (title says it all, ranges from ground textures, heights, climates, regions and anything else that may apply)
    d.Coder (someone who will edit the text files, from descr_strat, to edu)
    e.Scripter (someone with enough knowledge to script in rebellions, historical events, and anything else that may apply)
    f.Researcher (someone willing to research anything and everything, whether it be online, through people, books, or other mods)
    g.Historian (someone who believes they have enough knowledge about a specific topic that would be included in HRTW, if you are this you must list what it is you h.have specific knowledge in)
    i.Historian/Researcher (the two above positions combined)
    j.Tester: someone who tests the work we finish, finds bugs, and gives analysis on the mod
    k.Grunt: (doesn't sound like a fun position but it's actually very easy. Anyone can do it, but is recommended for those who are new to modding. Basically you go and download skin packs, unit packs, mini mods, and other little features that improve the RTW game in some way. Little releases like that can add definition to a mod. You would have to download it and post screens and your analysis about it, easy.)

2b. Helper: Meaning you like the mod and its ideas, but cannot commit yourself to it. However you are willing to do some work and/or help when available.
    Please list what position you could help with. Depending on how many of us are on the team, you might be contacted regularly for help.

2c. Supporter: Meaning you cannot necessarily contribute to the mod, but you can support it by including a signature and by spreading the word around to new comers and discussion threads. You basically would give us publicity.

2d. Fan/Player/Critic: Does not really need a definition in my opinion.

3. What you want personally to see in this mod. I don't care what it is, I want to hear everyone's opinions. Remember I do not and I repeat DO NOT want a short, meaningless fragment of a sentence. This is a detailed description of what you want to see in HRTW. Make it clean and understandable for everyone to read.

After a few days (so hurry and post!) we will discuss what will be included, edited and taken away.

I shall go first.

I am the leader of HRTW. I Started it back on July 18th, 2011. I have tried to stay consistent with my ideas, but have failed. Well? That ends here on this thread. For whatever is the final decision, I will stick to it! Besides having the title as leader, I do text editing and coding. Most of it is very simple, and I enjoy doing it. It may take forever but it's easy work that creates big differences. I just hate errors. Also I am in charge with public relations. Heck, I'm majoring in Communications at school, so it comes easy to me. I enjoy, talking with other modders, picking their brains about hints and tips. Maintaining friendships with my team mates as best as I can, recruiting new members for the team, asking for help, and promoting the mod as much as I can. My main role is my vision for the mod. Ultimately it comes down to me about what we will be doing, making threads, pointing the team in a direction, and making sure everything is going according to plan. For my first mod ever, I have made many mistakes, but HRTW is still alive and I will never quit on it. My vision has changed many times and it has caused unrest, that is why I'm sticking to the final vision made on this thread.

What ahowl11 wants in HRTW (It's no longer a mystery!)

Wow! Where do I begin? This idea has been in my head for many years. It was not until I discovered the world of modding that I finally acted on it. As a kid I had dreams of my own Rome: Total War. Well in my mind I have found it in HRTW. I believe it is amazing to completely change something made by a professional company, within it's limits of course!
    I love RTW vanilla. It's just fun! Very simple. I hate that it is so easy though. I have never completed a full campaign as I get too bored with it. I feel like I'm facing the same armies, putting my cities under auto management and constantly clicking the "End Turn button". Plus I see many historical inaccuracies with the game. As a kid I honestly thought Egypt was using chariots and Pharaohs against the Romans!
    So this is what I want to see.

When I hear Historical Rome Total War, I see RTW but historical.

Here is what I see in my mind:

Okay, first of all I believe 280 BC is a perfect date! Who rules Macedon? What will become of Alexander's broken empire? Are the Romans for real, or can Pyrrhus dominate them? Will anyone be as wealthy as Carthage? Celts, Germans, Iberians and Dacians, merely barbaric peoples or are they actually developing major civilizations? Have you heard of the Parthians? They are a scary people, and words out that Bactria will revolt soon! Don't take to the seas unless you want to get robbed by Illyrian Pirates! Have you ever seen an Indian Elephant? They are huge!

The Greco-Roman world in 280 BC was about to change. It signifies the beginning of Roman prominence and the end of Greek domination. The clash of many cultures was inevitable!

So for HRTW I want to see this:
    A map that stretches from Iberia and the British Isles all the way to the Punjab and from Scandinavia to the Arabian Sea.
    historically accurate factions who are all unique in their own way
    A wide variety of units
    An AOR system so you aren't recruiting Nubians in Scotland
    RS2 Environments (Not very vanilla, but it's a must in my opinion.)
    Historically accurate cities that are positioned similar how they were in antiquity and owned by the proper faction in 280 BC
    Historical Geography: mountain passes, rivers, lakes, islands etc that were not included in vanilla
    BI exe.: meaning i want to see loyalty, culture, and hording features
    Vanilla looking units: ok so to be clear: historically accurate uniforms, armor and weapons, just in each faction's colors. The realistic uniforms are nice but in my honest opinion i don't like it. Also the "realistic look" is too dull and boring for my taste. I like my units to be colored and to look bright. Remember the mod is historical, not realistic. The uniforms may be the only ahistorical feature of HRTW, but I wouldn't mind at all. So the models and textures I would like to see are vanilla or at least similar to vanilla.
    Economic and Government systems for each faction
    Historical Rebellions
    Historical Characters, family trees, and generals (to the best of our ability)
    Faction symbols and faction colors that resemble each faction historically
    Super factions (similar to RS2's free people)
    Other small add ons and features that would fit in nicely with HRTW..
    Better unit stats so battles are not super short
    One version, with other versions being simple fixes
    280 BC to 30 BC
    4 turn script
    Accurate Military systems

I want a map that covers the length of the Roman and Greek world. Parthia is not properly represented in vanilla, the Seleucid Empire is cut off, and the idea of trade with India and Arabia is a myth. With a map encompassing Scotland to India, it would be much more historically accurate.
    About the factions, Egypt.. Really? Four Roman factions.. No way! Every faction is totally misrepresented in my mind.
    All the units in RTW are very generic. Militia Cavalry? Eastern Infantry? Warband? Such broad titles, for units. I want to see more specific unit names, and more historically accurate armies! Plus the military and recruitment systems are so basic, Nubians should be recruited in Nubia!
    The geography of the vanilla map is okay, but not what it could be. Cities are misplaced, and landmarks are missing from the map. I say an end to that. And on the battlemap? RS2 environments are much nicer and enhanced than the original vanilla battlefields.
    With the bi exe you can simply do more. It is easier and it's the best out of the three exe's
    With economic and government systems, it seems vague. But each faction should have restrictions based on history when it comes to economy.
    I want the player to feel like they were living in 280 BC. Pyrruhs was rampaging, Antigonus Saving, Brennus sacking. Real people with real traits is fun!
    Each faction has a symbol that defines them that should be enough.
    Little model fixes and add ons from the modding community can really take a mod far. I am all for them.
    280 BC as I explained before is a great year in my mind for starting a mod. And 30 BC? Well yeah, it was the end of an era for the Romans.
    It won't be so quick if we have four seasons in a year though right?
    And, yes one version. The whole thing in one. We test as we go and release a huge mod. No more versions. Versions cause confusion and trouble as I have been finding out. Why not add it all into one? So it will take a lot of time. Well, that's what it's all about right?

For those of you that will post your ideas. Please follow the guidelines, and please do not question or argue with someone elses ideas yet, simply put down what you want. There will be much debate after we all say what we want to see. If you have anything personal to say anyone simply PM them with your thoughts. This thread is strictly for what you want to see in HRTW.

Thank you, and be creative! Don't be shy! What do YOU want to see? :)
    Last edited by ahowl11; 01-14-2012 at 04:48.