Thread: Question about Cavalry Archers and attack modes

Default Question about Cavalry Archers and attack modes

Just recently started playing and am having trouble figuring out the command to have my cavalry archers to attack/charge - I think I've tried ctrl + every possible combination but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Question about Cavalry Archers and attack modes

try Alt + Left Click on the enemy units. Have you checked the tutorial?? Not calling you a noob or anything, but that will tell you more about formations and attacks and stuff.
    Last edited by critviz; 01-16-2012 at 23:28.

I briefly tried the tutorials but didn't see anything about that particular attack mode (but it could be that I was in such a hurry to start playing the game that I totally missed it!) Thanks for the tip and I will try it.

I do know that when your archers are out of arrows or you just want them to attack instead of shooting then what I said previously would help.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

the command to have my cavalry archers to attack/charge
    Press Alt+click....that is, hold the Alt button and use the mouse to click on the unit you wish them to engage in melee with. If you want them to charge, dbl. click quickly on the unit you want them to engage.

As a note, CA don't have a very high charge bonus (it's 3 IIRC), so don't expect them to impact an enemy unit the way a Yari/Heavy/Nagainata Cavalry would...
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 01-17-2012 at 21:55.
    High Plains Drifter

I believe that turns off the skirmish mode, which is the point of course, but remember to turn it on again if you want it later.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    I believe that turns off the skirmish mode, which is the point of course, but remember to turn it on again if you want it later.
    I can't say I've ever noticed that happen. Usually, the unit automatically reverts back to it's previous "setting" after any such combat.

Could be I'm thinking of another game, then.

Edit: Oh, I have it now. I have a habit of switching my horse archers to engage at will before I attack with them. Its a bad habit really, because its not a necessary step. But its one of those habits which is so automatic that you forget you even did it. No wonder the skirmish was off when the melee was over.
    Last edited by Brandy Blue; 01-20-2012 at 02:50.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. God's visible hand was everywhere, in the rainbow and the comet, in the thunder and the wind. The Devil too raged openly upon the earth; he skulked behind the hedge-rows in the gloaming; he laughed loudly in the night-time; he clawed the dying sinner, pounced on the unbaptized babe, and twisted the limbs of the epileptic. A foul fiend slunk ever by a man's side and whispered villainies in his ear, while above him there hovered an angel of grace . . .

Arthur Conan Doyle

Even with EaW switched on, CA's would not be in melee mode if they still have arrows left. After the unit they were engaged with was either routed or destroyed, they would revert back to using the bow.
    High Plains Drifter

Well, I'm sure I have been surprised before to find my horse archers not in skirmish mode. It could be that I'm not remembering the circumstances correctly.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Even with EaW switched on, CA's would not be in melee mode if they still have arrows left. After the unit they were engaged with was either routed or destroyed, they would revert back to using the bow.
    Interesting.
    ( I tend to leave them in Skirmish mode anyway - hence my comment above re previous "setting". )

Personally, I tend not to use HA for skirmishing that much, as it distracts from the rest of the action when you need to move them about. Don't you just hate it though, when you don't pay attention to them and they get chased around the map by Yari Ashiguru !

I tend to use them ( with great care of course ) as an "early HC" unit, particularly when they have silver armour and a weapons upgrade. However, I avoid pitting them against any Army with Yari Cavalry in as they can't ( usually ) engage or outrun them.
    Last edited by DEB8; 01-28-2012 at 03:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy Blue View Post
    Well, I'm sure I have been surprised before to find my horse archers not in skirmish mode. It could be that I'm not remembering the circumstances correctly.
    Maybe you changed the setting to "Engage at Will" but did not make the attack for some reason ?
    Last edited by DEB8; 01-28-2012 at 03:52.

Must have been something like that.

Arthur Conan Doyle

I avoid pitting them against any Army with Yari Cavalry in as they can't ( usually ) engage or outrun them.
    Quite so. But the "unusual" situation can occur where I use them as flankers to a frontal charge (usually of YC). Once the target unit is tied up frontally, I swing them to the flanks and add them to the charge.

They make good bait for enemy Yari Cav, too. My favorite tactic is to lure one or more enemy YC to chase them back towards my waiting muskets, who have fire-at-will off, hold position, and loose formation. When the enemy cav unit gets within range of the guns, I wheel my CA's through the teppo unit, which closes ranks and fires. Simply devastating.....you don't get the 'rolling fire' situation you normally get with a 3-line teppo unit. When you switch the fire-at-will on, they all fire in the first volley.......it's fun to watch half of the cav unit simply vanish!
    High Plains Drifter