Thread: The Position of a General in his Bodyguard

Default The Position of a General in his Bodyguard

I'm sure you've all experienced it before. You send your troops to engage the enemy, pinning them down from the front. You wheel you general around the flanks, lining them up neatly parallel to the backs of the enemy. With a click, you order them forward. A perfect charge. And wait why is my general falling off his horse goddammitdammitdammit. And it's no fault of your own, since he hasn't so much as taken a single hit.

Thus, I have a question for the EBII team: What do you think of putting mounted generals in the second row of cavalry instead of the first, much like how Celtic foot bodyguards have their general in the third row? Doing so would reduce a lot of frustration, and increase the durability of both player and AI controlled generals.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

Default Re: The Position of a General in his Bodyguard

Quote Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
    I'm sure you've all experienced it before. You send your troops to engage the enemy, pinning them down from the front. You wheel you general around the flanks, lining them up neatly parallel to the backs of the enemy. With a click, you order them forward. A perfect charge. And wait why is my general falling off his horse goddammitdammitdammit. And it's no fault of your own, since he hasn't so much as taken a single hit.

Thus, I have a question for the EBII team: What do you think of putting mounted generals in the second row of cavalry instead of the first, much like how Celtic foot bodyguards have their general in the third row? Doing so would reduce a lot of frustration, and increase the durability of both player and AI controlled generals.
    When you add standard bearers and other officers to units I believe they get placed in front of the general on the side of the main unit, so hopefully that should help alleviate this issue.
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

until then "rally troops" just before chargeing that way the General falls back and is not involved in the charge.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

You are not real Alexanders :P

true, afterall I'm not so much into wine as I prefer beer^^
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

I've lost such a battle with a friend. The very first charge my Roman general had to engange in resulted in his death due to some unexpected position issues and surprisingly speararmed scirmishers.
    Although it was an epic battle. It ended up with 1 unit of baktrian Hetairoi Katapraktoi versus 3 units of Legionares. The Kataprakts won :(

Would love to have a less accsesible general, but still one whos not afraid to get dirty with enemy blood.
    "It is better to die as a roman than to live as a barbarian"
    "He who gives everything for Rome, can still give his life"
    "Through the enslaving, expelling, occupying or bribing of our enemies. We prevail."
    (Stolen blatantly from the "Dawn of war" Games!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    until then "rally troops" just before chargeing that way the General falls back and is not involved in the charge.
    This. I make sure I do not charge until I have a rally. A few seconds before impact, activate rally, and you will avoid a lot of deaths