Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Beta

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Beta

Has anyone been following this? After the disappointing launch of Elemental, Stardock went back to the drawing board and came up with Elemental: Fallen Enchantress- for all intents and purposes, a reboot. Anyone who bought Elemental in 2010 is supposed to get Fallen Enchantress for free... and it turns out we get beta access as well.
    Owners of Elemental: War of Magic (WOM) will be getting an email next week going through what Fallen Enchantress is and how they can download it.

The beta release will go in two phases. January 19 will be to everyone who pre-ordered WOM. A week later will be everyone else who got WOM in 2010.

Stay tuned!
    I've been semi-following the development of FE and I'm relatively optimistic. It looks like they're taking things much more seriously this go-round and have channeled much of their resources from the sale of Impulse into this. Hopefully this will be the game that we hoped Elemental would be.

Official Website
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: Elemental: Fallen Enchantress Beta

From what I've seen so far it looks very, veeeeery promising. Didn't buy the original EWoM, but if the reviews for FE come out positive I'm buying it.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

It looks promising. I should have access to the beta version although I rather doubt I will do anything with it beyond checking I do have access. I prefer to play completed games and get enough of the beta experience when a release isn't polished.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I got my email about two hours ago telling me that I can download the beta as of 3pm EST tomorrow.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I got my email about two hours ago telling me that I can download the beta as of 3pm EST tomorrow.
    please post the first impressions at your earliest convenience.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

I had just about an hour and a half to play the beta last night. In short, I enjoyed it.

It's still obviously a beta, but it feels more complete than any version of Elemental:War of Magic (WoM) I played. The graphics look better, the UI is much more inituitive (and tooltips abound). The game world seems much more hostile, and as a result, immersive as well. In my current game, I had the misfortune of having a young ogre, a bone ogre (his dad?) and a death demon all at various points around my northern frontier. I managed to pick off the young ogre- but I stay well clear of the bone ogre and the demon. They're much too powerful and I don't want to stir up that hornet's nest. Incidentally, I've been told that monsters can level up as well- so forget about wearing them down with waves of disposable troops. Kill them or don't try. If you try and fail you're just making them stronger.

Combat is a vast improvement over WoM. Notice the icons on the left- they indicate attack order. Instead of using the purely turn based combat from before, they've moved to an initiative based system. My champion and I are able to get in several moves before the slower earth elemental does. A welcome change.

This is a screen shot of the tech tree- it clearly outlines what research must be performed to arrive at whatever technology you want and it tells you how many turns it will take at your current research pace.

As I've said, it is still a beta. I saw a number of graphical glitches, had one CTD, but it was still a good time.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 01-20-2012 at 21:11.
    -Abraham Lincoln

mmmm.... delicioso.

I just started a game with version 0.77 of the beta and it's been pretty awesome. I started this one with a challenging world difficulty, challenging AIs, 3 Kingdoms and 4 Empires and a "ravaged" terrain setting. By being a turn to slow to pick a starting location, I was forced to go on a 70 turn odyssey crossing most of the continent, going to war with the Empire of Yithril, and running thru 2 fierce wildlands before finally finding a secure place to found my kingdom. I recruited 4 champions, had some epic battles, gained several levels, and saw some downright scary monsters before finally even starting my kingdom. So far, 1 empire and 1 kingdom have been destroyed by the monsters of the world.

In case you wanted to know what the elemental lord who rules the Burning Lands looks like....
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Look at those stats! I can't imagine ever defeating him!

Here's the map of the world as I know it, showing my long trek to home....

Here's a fun screenie of my best melee champion with a growth spell cast on her fighting 2 hapless ice elementals. This was part of a quest that had to do with farmers who were unable to grow crops due to constant freezes.

My city, Hope as it currently stands...

My posse. I'm riding a warg that I rescued from a lair.

Last edited by Xiahou; 01-30-2012 at 04:32.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Thanks for your thoughts so far (and for the screenies), Xiahou!

Question: How is the game's immersion factor? One of the complaints I've read about War of Magic is that it feels pretty bland, so I'm hoping FE does a much better job in this respect.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Whoah, and this is free for anyone who bought the first one?
    I'm not entirely sure- I think it's free to anyone who got the original game in 2010. People who bought the original and aren't eligible for the freebie get a discount I believe. If you're unsure, just login to your account at stardock.com and look under downloads. If you can DL the beta you should be good.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Whoah, and this is free for anyone who bought the first one?
    If you purchased it before a certain date, yes. You also get beta access. I can't remember what the date was. October 2010 maybe?

Reportedly the game will appear in your stardock account page and you will also get an email notifying you of your beta access. Unlocks are being done in waves. That's still on-going - or I hope it is because I still haven't had the email and the game has not appeared in my account.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    Thanks for your thoughts so far (and for the screenies), Xiahou!

Question: How is the game's immersion factor? One of the complaints I've read about War of Magic is that it feels pretty bland, so I'm hoping FE does a much better job in this respect.
    I felt the original was very bland. I couldn't play it very long before it felt more like work than a game. Fallen Enchantress has done a much better job of drawing me into the game. They still have some work to do (it is a beta), but I've thoroughly enjoyed my time playing it.
    -Abraham Lincoln

This is most interesting. Please keep up the posts and the screenies at your convenience.

Any tentative release date for this game?

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Q4 2012 is as tentative as it can get right now.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

The release date has been pegged as Oct. 23. If you go to their website, Brad has been posting new videos each day detailing last minute improvements before the game goes gold.

I'm currently downloading the latest beta. Hopefully, I can get a chance to play it- I haven't checked in on it for several releases now.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Version 1.0 is now released. I'm downloading it now. If you bought Elemental, chances are you already own Fallen Enchantress....
    -Abraham Lincoln

Please give us your impressions when you can! I'm excited about this one.
    Meh. It's unpolished and bland. I'm trying really hard to like it, but find myself not giving a crap about the story, the characters, or the overall feel of the game. Granted, I haven't proceeded very far, but that's mostly due to the lack of desire. Annoying little bugs aside (mostly with fluff and descriptions and such), the game has yet to charm me. I hope it happens.

I'm assuming you're talking about the "Campaign". It's basically a scripted event, RPG-lite version of the sandbox main game. It serves to provide some background info on the story so far of the game world, as well as basically demo'ing the scenario aspect of the game- where anyone can use the mod tools and create/share their own scenarios. It's a neat feature, but the included scenario/campaign/whatever probably won't knock anyone's socks off. The story-telling (so far) isn't very inspired, but I am looking forward to learning more about the background of the Fallen Enchantress (Ceresa?) and it keeps me entertained enough to want to keep playing....

The "real" game, as with pretty much every Stardock game, is the sandbox mode.... which I haven't played since release because I've been working thru the campaign....
    -Abraham Lincoln

The sandbox (non-scenario) mode...
    Well, let's start with the fact that there's a myriad of all possible Leader/Race/Faction combinations. You can play a heavy magic strategy game, a no-magic game, and a no-strategy game where you just take your sovereign and a couple of champs and run around bashing things until they stop moving (yes, you can win the game that way). So, if the sandbox is your thing, this is the sandbox game.

Member thankful for this post:

Spent some more time on this game (primarily on the main scenario). I have to take back some of the negative things I said about it: even though it's a bit rough around the edges, the game is charming and it grows on you. The A.I. is adequate, magic is powerful but not overwhelming, tactical combat is actually tactical in a sense that if you don't use some basic tactics you might get butchered.

So yeah, the game is good.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Spent some more time on this game (primarily on the main scenario). I have to take back some of the negative things I said about it: even though it's a bit rough around the edges, the game is charming and it grows on you. The A.I. is adequate, magic is powerful but not overwhelming, tactical combat is actually tactical in a sense that if you don't use some basic tactics you might get butchered.

So yeah, the game is good.
    Ditto.
    The starting out, I was afraid the campaign was going to be cringe-worthy, but as I play on it really is growing on me. I also agree that that tactical battles are showing some more depth as I play too. Basic tactics involving unit placement, target priority, and control of choke points can really help make the difference in battle. If you're completely outclassed in a battle, nothing is going to save you- but in an even match being smart can make all the difference. The equipment encumbrance system also forces you to make hard choices before you even go into battle.

On my last play session, I found my self starting to get into the 'just one more turn' mentality. That's something I hadn't gotten from the game when I played the earlier betas. It's a good thing.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Just beat the game for the first time...

Fun. fun, fun.
    Now I can honestly recommend the game.

I finished the campaign mode last night- I think it took me about 9 hours. I have to say, it was better than I expected.

Afterwards finishing the campaign, I was inspired to start a sandbox game as Procipinee. So far, I've only met up with Relias so its too early to tell how well I'm doing- but I've recruited 2 champions (which is good because starting out Procipinee is useless in combat) and managed to get her to level 5. I'm about to found my second city, but I'm worried that I may be taking too long to expand...

For anyone not familiar with the game, they have a "Fallen Enchantress in pictures" page on the website that points out game features with accompanying screenshots- pretty handy.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Woo! They've just announced the first Fallen Enchantress expansion... Legendary Heroes

I think the current game has turned out to be pretty darn good, but the bullet points for the expansion seem to really seem to flesh out areas the game was thin on- better tactical battles and a less random hero leveling system are two standouts for me.

Of course, for me, the best part is:
    War of Magic owners special option
    Players who bought War of Magic before November of 2010 get Legendary Heroes as part of their original purchase! You don’t have to sign up. It’ll automatically be added to your Stardock account and a Steam serial number will be sent to you to get it when it’s available!
    -Abraham Lincoln

is this game worth it?
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    is this game worth it?
    I think Fallen Enchantress is, yes.
    Here's a "lets play" video to give you some idea of what it's like. The description says it's the launch version, so it'd be missing quite a few patches and updates, but the overall idea will be the same...
    -Abraham Lincoln

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I will only play this if they end up sending me that free cd key by mistake, as I was burnt badly at the start and no amount of "good reviews" would ever convince me to purchase anything from the series. I rather spend the money on an overpriced tasty subway sandwich.
    Last edited by Beskar; 02-08-2013 at 05:32.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Yeah i was burned pretty hard by Elemental: War of Magic and I'm incredibly hesitant to drop 40$ on this game. If I see it drop to $20 or below I might spend something on it.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    Yeah i was burned pretty hard by Elemental: War of Magic and I'm incredibly hesitant to drop 40$ on this game. If I see it drop to $20 or below I might spend something on it.
    You didn't get FE for free?

If you bought Elemental any time in 2010, you get Fallen Enchantress for free....
    If you bought Elemental even earlier, like I did, you'll get Legendary Heroes for free too.

Elemental wasn't a very good game, but they've more than made up for it with giveaways, imo. My early purchase has turned out to be a pretty good investment.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-08-2013 at 20:13.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast