Thread: HRTW map: Regions and settlements research, discussion and implementation

Default HRTW map: Regions and settlements (please Sticky)

Hello to everyone:
    I'm starting this whole new thread having settled the map HRTW will be using.
    First of all, for the ones that doesn't know it here it is:

Now, i know there's still much work left to be discussed (factions are not yet completed) and so on, however there are factions that won't be changing at all and i'll like to start working on those faction's settlements and regions.

So the next part of this post goes to the research team of this mod; it is a guide on how to post a research about a given region so that we all can have accurate information and it's corresponding sources. Having said that i'll explain how i think a good region and settlement should be posted here:

Example:
    1.- Region: Rremember to post the name in English form, it is a valid option too to post names in Latin since most actual "english" names derivate from it)
    2.- Settlement: Same as above
    *Port (if it is a coastal region with port): City equivalent (we can't name ports but we need to know why are we giving port to a determined region)
    3.- Faction owner (if any)
    4.- Rebel garrison (name)

Brief description and/or history for the region, settlement and port. Keep in mind that we don't need 40 lines of text to decide a region or settlement, 4 to 5 lines MAXIMUM should be enough space to post why a region and it's settlement were important in antiquity. Please follow this guidelines, even if let's say Italy gets a 15 suggested regions we can vote at the end wich regions make it or not into the final version of the map. Remeber to use SPOILERS to avoid never ending posts.

Now, for a complete research regarding this area it is important that you not only copy and paste info form here and there, you need to actually reseach the region's ancient boundaries and location of it's settlement. All suggestions for R&S that doesn't have an aproximate boundaries reference are most likely to not be considered.

As historians and researchers it will be your job to provide as much info as possible so that i can implement it in-game. So any images provided will be much appreciated as well. Here's and example:

1.- Liguria
    2.- Genua
    * Vada Sabatia

Description:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I don't have any at the moment :P
    - Resources: Region's most valuable resources (doesn't matter if they don't exist in RTW) you NEED to provide this info too.

Limits reference: In this case made by me

Bibliography (if avaible in the internet, if not at least name the book or page you're refering to:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17124...tentrionis.jpg

So, i think this should help out to start the reseach work so far for:
    - italian Peninsula
    - North Africa (prior to roman domination)

Happy research!

PS: I'll update the main post once a region is researched so that we have a "pool" of the avaible regions and disscuss if any should be kept or left aside.
    Last edited by Ave_Oz; 01-19-2012 at 17:14.

Default Re: HRTW map: Regions and settlements research, discussion and implementation

RESERVED FOR SETTLED INFO
    Last edited by Ave_Oz; 01-19-2012 at 06:43.

Default Re: HRTW map: Regions and settlements research, discussion and implementation

RESERVED FOR UPDATES

FOR ANY NEEDS

Sounds good. Let's complete the faction list first and we will get started right away.

Here's the list you provided in another post. I'm gonna point out some errors that i've found, wich cpul easily be avoided in the future if the next suggestions for regions and settlements follow the guidelines i posted.

ITALY

Rome (Latium) - OK
    Arretium (Etruria) - OK
    Ariminum (Umbria) - OK
    Genua (Liguria) - OK
    Mediolanium (Cisalpine Gaul) - OK
    Patavium (Venetia) - OK
    Capua (Campania) - OK
    Tarentum (Apulia) - You're using the current name. Back then Apulia didn't reach as far as Tarentum, the region belonging to Traentum was known as Calabria
    Croton (Calabria) - Again using current names, back in roman time that region was known as Brutii (Bruttium/Brutia?)
    Rhegium (Bruttium) - Belongs to the region above
    Ancona (Picenum) - Overcrowds the region along with Ariminum.
    Bononia (Aemilia) - This region's name came a long way after the time around the start of the mod; but keeping in mind the comments of Philadelphos i'll leave it like that.
    Acerrae (Tribus Insubres) - Overcrowds the northern border of Italy, i'll give it a shot but i bet it's gonna be left out
    Last edited by Ave_Oz; 01-20-2012 at 01:47.

I hope they can work

Regions for Italy, Sardinia, Corsica and Sicily are finished. I just need to edit the ground_types file and then i'll be able to post a preview, altough that will be probably not until Sunday since i have a test for a job this Saturday and i want to study a lot :)

In case you guys wonder what's taking so long, is because i'm changing this:

Into this:

So keep working in your areas 'cause i'm doing that myself ;)
    Last edited by Ave_Oz; 02-11-2012 at 06:04.

Let's complete the faction list first and we will get started right away.
    Again,oh come on...We decided what factions will be in already ?...This is the best faction list we ever came up on in my mind.For me it is better then the vanilla one.I am sure people would like it.

Final Faction List

1. The Roman Republic
    2. The Republic of Carthage
    3. The Seleucid Empire
    4. The Ptolemaic Empire
    5. The Antigonid Kingdom
    6. The Odrysian Kingdom
    7. The Kingdom of Pontus
    8. The Kingdom of Armenia
    9. The Kingdom of Epirus
    10. The Aetolian League
    11. The Bosporan Kingdom
    12. Parthia
    13. Numidia
    14. Gauls
    15. Germans
    16. Britons
    17. Iberians
    18. Sarmatians
    19. Illyrians
    20. Free People
    21. Rebels

Nice work btw Oz....I will help as soon as I can.

QUESTION :

So Oz has completed Italy.What do we do next ?

I suggest that we do the text editing part for the Romans(Revolts,settelment garrison,put the units hameleona & me have made ingame,put the faction banner and symbol)...Because after this(text editing)we are done with the Romans and we can start making units for the next faction...This is just a suggestion as I wouldn't like that we start something else before we have completed the Romans.At least in that way we won't start 1000 things and we can say for sure that we completed something.
    Last edited by Asgaroth; 02-11-2012 at 16:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Again,oh come on...We decided what factions will be in already ?...This is the best faction list we ever came up on in my mind.For me it is better then the vanilla one.I am sure people would like it.

Final Faction List

1. The Roman Republic
    2. The Republic of Carthage
    3. The Seleucid Empire
    4. The Ptolemaic Empire
    5. The Antigonid Kingdom
    6. The Odrysian Kingdom
    7. The Kingdom of Pontus
    8. The Kingdom of Armenia
    9. The Kingdom of Epirus
    10. The Aetolian League
    11. The Bosporan Kingdom
    12. Parthia
    13. Numidia
    14. Gauls
    15. Germans
    16. Britons
    17. Iberians
    18. Sarmatians
    19. Illyrians
    20. Free People
    21. Rebels

Nice work btw Oz....I will help as soon as I can.

QUESTION :

So Oz has completed Italy.What do we do next ?

I suggest that we do the text editing part for the Romans(Revolts,settelment garrison,put the units hameleona & me have made ingame,put the faction banner and symbol)...Because after this(text editing)we are done with the Romans and we can start making units for the next faction...This is just a suggestion as I wouldn't like that we start something else before we have completed the Romans.At least in that way we won't start 1000 things and we can say for sure that we completed something.
    Well basically romans are not done yet (if anything is done at all). The roster should be finished, symbols too, and once the unit roster is updated then we could start talking about garrison (but not revolts).

I'm the one guilty for the roster - still don't have 3ds max... technically i don't have a PC on witch i can run it. So... we are stuck.

And even when i get it, i have a lot of work not related to RTW, so i will do the units somewhat slowly. Sorry 'bout that.

Asgaroth the faction list has been set for awhile now. That post was in January. I like the way the map will look

Took a while, but heights are done, they look beautiful in game. The previous image had many flaws, this one is smoother and keeps the natural definition of mountain passes, so i'll get bak to create more regions.

Hello team! I'm uploading the current list for regions that the map has. A quick resume of the work done:
    - Italy
    - Sub-Danube balkans almost completed Dumb me, there's no "sub-danube balkans", all balkans are sub Danube hahaha
    - Hispania

The thing is that i've used 46 regions so far (25% of regions avaible) and there's still plenty of work to do; I know we already have a faction list set but as a i stated before some may not get enough for a balanced game, so i encourage you to reconsider the possibility of changing only 1 faction from the faction list: the Britons so that we can use regions slots for any other area.

Regards, Oz
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ave_Oz; 02-17-2012 at 21:29.

screens?

Default Update map

Even better, here's an update. Now north western africa is done (regions); i've used some imperial rome wars and campaigns as reference for the saharian tribes.
    It is mod-foldered, only place it where your RTW game is and use a shorcut with -mod:ORBIS
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Update map

Even better, here's an update. Now north western africa is done (regions); i've used some imperial rome wars and campaigns as reference for the saharian tribes.
    What cities have you put for north-western africa ?

i've uploaded the files, check them

Quote Originally Posted by Ave_Oz View Post
    i've uploaded the files, check them
    I like it. "This is Sparta" :P It is Sparta indeed. And I liked the parade of the captains and Family Members. It looked funny.

Oh, and I too don´t know what the town is named.

Screens? I will not have time to implement anything for a long time as I am very busy