Views:	530 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	3467

Cities:
    Rome
    Arretium
    Capua

Rome
    At this time, Rome was a powerful state in Italy. It had been founded in 753 BC when many villages had combined into one large town, which was established on seven hills. They were convicts, low life's, shepherds, farmers, and fisherman. In it's earliest days, it was ruled by Kings, the most noteworthy of them being Etruscans. In 509 BC the last Etruscan King was expelled and a Republic was founded. The republic had expanded against the Sabines, Aequi, and Volsci in it's early years, but in the early fourth century, the city of Rome was sacked by Celts. It took awhile for the city to recover, and they were constantly at war with various Italian Peoples. They had succeeded in defeating the Latins, Marsi, Samnites, and Etruscans as they expanded north, east, and south. After the Third Samnite War ended in 290 BC, and the defeat of the Celtic tribes, Umbrians and Etruscans in the 280's BC, Rome was at it's greatest extent from Eturia all the way into Samnium.

The city of course, is the capital of the Romans. It should be the largest city in size and population.

Arretium
    Originally founded by the city of Clusium, Arretium was a major city of the Etruscans. It is thought that Arretium was one of the twelve most important Etruscan cities. After it became independent, Arretium established a niche for bronze working, trading with the Romans and Celts. Due to civil strife and unrest, Arretium went over peacefully to Rome around 311 BC.

Arretium should be a large town with many economic benefits.

Capua
    Capua was a city in Campania. It was founded by Greeks, but developed an Greco-Etruscan culture due to the Greek sphere of influence. It supported the Latins in their agianst Rome in 338 BC and after the wars cam under the control of the Romans. Capua was known for it's metalworking abilities and was known as the second largest city in Italy

Army

During the time frame of our mod there were two significant reforms. The Polybian and Marian. In 280 BC, Rome deployed the Camillan Army which consisted of these units:

The Camillan Army

Leves

Leves were of a poorer and younger class of Roman citizens. They were skirmishers who would harass the enemy lines until they were out of ammunition or were driven off. They were armed only with the clothes on their backs, some javelins and a spear to engage in melee.

*Europa Barbarorum has them using a shield, and also says they wore helmets, which I believe is not true since they were very poor.

How Leves should be made:
    Peasant model and texture, give him javelins and a spear, instead of a dagger. Leves, will be slightly weaker than most Peltasts and Skirmishers.

Hastati

Hastati were the first battle line in the Camillan and Polybian armies. Hastati derived their name from the word Hastae, which means short spear. They would be the first to engage in melee, and would then retire to let the Principes fight.

Hastati were armed with a six foot long spear, the scutum shield, a helmet which had three feathers attached to it, a greave on their shield side leg and a breastplate for protection.

*A few sources claim that Hastati carried pilae and short swords into battle during the Camillan Era. This is not true as both of those weapons and fighting styles were adapted from the Iberian troops between the first and second Punic Wars.

How Hastati should be made:
    Hastati model and texture. Get rid of plume on helmet and replace with feathers, get rid of pila and short swords and replace with spears. Put a greave on their shield side leg.
    They will still be a very dependable unit for the Camillan Roman Army

Principes

Principes were of a wealthier class of citizens. They also had more experience and were older than the Hastati. The Principes would form the second battle line and relieve the Hastati, when the Hastati withdrew. The Principes will be armed and armored very similarly to the Hastati except the have chain mail instead of a breast plate.

How Principes should be made:
    Principes model and texture. Get rid of plume on helmet and replace with feathers, get rid of pila and short swords and replace with spears. Put a greave on their shield side leg.
    The Principes will make up the main force of a Camillan Army.

Triarii

The Triarii are the wealthiest and most experienced soldiers in the Camillan Army. They fought in the hoplite fashion and were the backbone of the Camillan Army. They wore a breastplate that covered the entire torso, an Etrusco-Corinthian Helmet and a greave on their shield side leg. They also carried a spear, a short sword and a large round shield similar to what hoplites used.

*Another source said that their helemts were similar to Hastati and Principes but i felt the Etrusco-Corinthian Helmet would look better.

How Triarii should be made:
    Triarii model, new head containing Etrusco-Corinthian helmet, shield and breastplate of Armored Hoplites, a sword to fight with when out of the Phalanx formation, and a greave on the shield side leg.
    The Triarii will be the elite unit of Roman armies

Rorarii

Rorarii served as reserves in the Camillan Army. They were useful for support when a flank began to waver and were mainly used as reserves. The Rorarii carried a scutum, hasta spear, wore no armor except for a helmet.

How Rorarii will be made:
    Town Watch Unit without Cape

Accensi

Accensi were the poorest and weakest of all citizen soldiers within the Camillan army. They were in the back of the line together with the Rorarii. They wore the colthes on their backs and carried slings.

How Accensi will be made:
    Roman Slinger model and texture
    No shield
    Will be weaker than other slinger units

Equites

Equites were the cavalry of the Camillan Army. They were medium cavalry who maintained the fanks. Equites were the wealthiest citizen soldiers of the army, hence why they get to ride on horseback. They wore a bronze cuirass, and a crested helmet with a plume. Also they carry a lance, round shield and a short sword.

How Equites will be made:
    Equites Model and texture, new head with crested helmet, cuirass, cape
    Will be much more stronger than vanilla equites

Polybian Army

After some difficulties with the previous army, the Romans decided to adapt to a more flexible army. These changes happened sometime in between the first and second punic wars.

Changes
    Instead of Rorarii, Accensi, and Leves, only one unit, Velites.
    Hastati and Principes have Pilae and Gladius
    Triarii lose phalanx formation and are more heavy spearmen than hoplites
    Equites are more flexible
    Funditores

Velites

Velites were essentially the Leves, Rorarii, and Accensi combined. The Velites would play the role of the Leves by rushing out to throw javelins at the enemy and then rushing back behind the lines for safety. They will also carry a dagger and a round shield for protection.

How Velites will be made:
    Same as vanilla except they need a bigger shield.
    Will be equivalent to Peltasts.

Hastati/Principes

Will look the same but have two Pilae to throw and use the gladius as their melee weapon, and have more chain mail armor.

Triarii
    Will look very similar to the Triarii in vanilla, keeps the Etrusco-Corinthian Helmet, but substitutes chain mail armor for the breastplate, and has a scutum instead of a hoplite shield. Also will fight as more flexible spearmen than in a phalanx

Equites
    Will have chain mail instead of breast plate

Funditores

Funditores were Slingers used by the Romans, they were not used extensively but they were used and were effective.

How Funditores will be made:
    Accensi unit but with shield
    Last edited by ahowl11; 01-22-2012 at 03:46.

Default Re: Faction #1 The Roman Republic

Roman Republic

I propose the use of vanilla's senate faction symbol. I'm mostly against the red one of DTW since back then wearing purple didn't meant you were gay and in fact it was a color meaning a high social status and off course, wealthiness. The use of red color for a roman faction is consequence of hollywood movies (much like Coke's fault we hear "Santa Claus" and think of a big & old fat man wearing red).

that's all i have to say since history & research it's not my field of expertise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senate_Faction_Symbol-Vanilla.png 
Views:	703 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	3455  
    Last edited by Ave_Oz; 01-19-2012 at 23:46.

Blog Entries

I say we have named and numbured legions for rome here is a list of roman legions

Legio I Germanica (or Augusta)
    Legio I Adiutrix
    Legio I Italica
    Legio I Macriana Liberatrix
    Legio I Minervia
    Legio I Parthica could be used for apropatine campaign
    Founded in 197 AD by Septimius Severus for his campaign against the Parthians
    http://www.unrv.com/military/legions.php list for more and source

@Ozman

I actually like the red color for Rome because to me it just resembles who they are.

I would like to point out a thing for the pre-marian roman army. The vanilla representation was correct, but the roman army was like that by the Second Punic war. Before that there were no velites, their place was held by three different types of units, the rorarii, the accensi and the leves. The leves had the same function as the velites. The rorarii were inexperienced fighters that assisted the triarii. The accensi were experienced, but unreliable fighters that also supported the triarii. My point is that, since the velites were introduced during the Second Punic war after Scipio's reforms (and the mod starts in 280 BC), to have them in the game accurately we should simulate these reforms. However Marian reforms were much more important than those of Scipio, and we can't have two reforms in 1 faction.

Now we are left with two options:

a) Remove the Velites, thing which might lower the quality of the game-play.
    b) Add them, but lowering the historical accuracy.

If somebody has an idea, please speak up. If nobody does, I'd go for option a, simply because it MIGHT lower the quality of the game-play, and only for the fans that love this unit, while option b WILL lower the historical accuracy and has anybody ever thought what people might say about it after the mod is released? Ok, i know, it's only 1 unit, but some people love to rant and criticize. So what do we do?
    Last edited by TwoKnives; 01-20-2012 at 21:08.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ave_Oz View Post
    I propose the use of vanilla's senate faction symbol. I'm mostly against the red one of DTW since back then wearing purple didn't meant you were gay and in fact it was a color meaning a high social status and off course, wealthiness.
    This is very true, but purple wasn't associated with the Romans either. IIRC only important senators were allowed to have a purple border or strip on their toga. Purple dye was outrageously expensive. If the colour was associated with anyone, it would have been the Carthaginians and other Phoenician cities. They were either the dominant or only producer of purple dye. In fact the word Phoenician (and Punic) may be derived from the Greek word for purple.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    This is very true, but purple wasn't associated with the Romans either. IIRC only important senators were allowed to have a purple border or strip on their toga. Purple dye was outrageously expensive. If the colour was associated with anyone, it would have been the Carthaginians and other Phoenician cities. They were either the dominant or only producer of purple dye. In fact the word Phoenician (and Punic) may be derived from the Greek word for purple.
    Yes Phoenicians got the purple dye for some kind of sea snails or some other mollusks. So red it is for the Romans, It suits them more for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoKnives View Post
    So red it is for the Romans, It suits them more for some reason.
    I read that Red is the color of Mars,so red suits them VERY well...
    When the camel {S}thinks,it is time to leave the oassis!

over 75% of the war-gods have Red as their color ;)