Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Faction #1 The Roman Republic

Default Re: Faction #1 The Roman Republic

BUT roman and AOR units at one time?
    come on guys that is somewhere around as ahistorical as flying pigs...

It is not...Why wouldn't you be able to recruit roman units in the second stage of ocuppation?...For the first stage I agree....

I suggest that we rather make better unit roasters then losing our time on AOR units and arguing around that...

However we should leave the process of the occupation(the three buildings)to symulate historical acurracy and auxilia units for the romans could be recruitable at second stage.We can use foederati infantry skin for that...

I don't want to argue...Just do what you want guys and lets get moving on with the factions...

Hamelona,realy,if you think your way is better then do it i n that way,no problem.I just think we are losin time on nothing and we are going to argue around this for ages and I just want to play the game and look at the awsome things we have done(our units,new map,scripted historical revolts and so on)..I personaly think that RTR has done the best way of recruiting AOR units,but as I said I don't like them.I think we should focus more on making faction units look great and make a good selection of units for each faction.And that is that. I have stated my opinion,Ahowl and TwoKnives have agreed with it,but I leave you hameleona to decide what to do as you are going to do the recruitmen as we do the units and I respect you greatly.You know best what you are doing,but please don't kill the gameplay and make the construction and recruitment boring like RTR so I have to wait 2555 turns until I get the faction's original units to be recruited that is all,thanks !....I only know one thing-as soon as the mod comes out I am going to edit the building script to shorten the time of recruiting the units,or making the buildings,because for 1000 time it kills the gameplay.

@Asgaroth - 1000 % aggreed!
    We shoud finish the new factions first and then talk about the old ones!

I da covece,slazem se sto se tice vremena,iako su Rimljani trosili dosta para i puno vremena trenirajuci legijonare,nebi SMELO da bude vise od 2-3 poteza,isto vazi i za neke ostale elitne jedinice (spartance itd.)
    When the camel {S}thinks,it is time to leave the oassis!

Asgaroth, i don't really care how the recruitment system will be. Just the fact, that roman legions, before Marian, needed a very specific type of social structure. And legions and (just as an example) hoplites in one province? Really? That won't kill the game-play? Come on guys! I can do it your way. But if you ask me it is better to just leave it vanilla then. Nothing personal - i just don't see why anybody WON'T go for the roman units. :)

So, yeah, i like the two possible ways - vanilla 1:1 (nothing needed to build the AOR units) or simplified EB stile. :)

PS: We are not losing time. What we deside about the Romans will be the pattern we will go for every faction. So we better fix the way. I like my way, cuz it gives options, and you don't really get a big advantage cuz you hod a strong AOR region. Easy balance. And yeas - pre-maian legions are NOT easy to instoll ina a barbaric/hellenic/eastern/etc. societies.
    Last edited by hameleona; 02-04-2012 at 00:38.

And yeas - pre-maian legions are NOT easy to instoll ina a barbaric/hellenic/eastern/etc. societies.

We have already decided that there will not be that way of recruiting-Roman units in other armies...Elephanst in Roman army or Spartans in Gaulish army and other stuff like that...

So three people have already agreed on my option(Skull,TwoKnives and Ahowl,so it is it...RTR(like I explained it) way it is then or vanilla,no other,decide ?

Look its this simple.
    Example:

Romans Capture Malventum (Samnite Stronghold owned by rebels in game)
    For units they have three options:

1. Citizenship: the longest time for building i say we give it 6-8 turns (longest time to build a building in vanilla) gives romans full access to it's troops plus AOR units but is expensive and takes time, also has negative effect on public order and might cause revolts, but gains money
    2. Colony: adds some population to the city, increasing public order (mix between cultures), money is stable, has full access to AOR troops, semi expensive and takes awhile 3-5 turns
    3. Allies: increases public order, and income, AOR troops are very expensive however and will only take 1-2 turns.

You can always change from allies to colony etc. but it's a simple method, nothing complicated like EB, but not just one building like RTR it meets in the middle and stays with vanilla.

Thats my best offer for the mod.

@Asgaroth, patience my friend. I told you that we will go deep with every aspect of every faction as I want every faction to be unique to the player. It will take a long time. I rather do this than rush because then we will have a crap mod with many errors and complaints. We have no time limit. Let's utilize that, take our time and make every faction as best as we can.

@hameleona your idea is genius but it is too much for a vanilla mod. I want things to be more complicated of course but I would not want to wait 10 turns for a building. Even though it's realistic, we must think of gameplay. I just want the units to look historical not every detail of the game to be historical, because I want it to be a game, not a reenactment of history. The only things I want historical are this:
    Units
    Factions
    Cities
    The world in 280 BC
    Characters
    Historical Events/Revolts

Everything else we should make it so it's fun to play like recruitment, battles, interface etc

Hopefully we can all agree and move on to what AOR units Italy and the Romans will have access to

Yeah, please no 10-20 turns buildings. I know the timescale is realistic, but then we're going to face another problem, historically no civilization build 1 freacking building at the time right? So we need nuildings that take some time but no too long, somewhere in between. And for "goverment" buildings mmm i'm thinking....... well i need to check out the limit on buildings (i mean the hardcoded limit) but why not tweaking the cost and consequences between type of goverment choosed? IE: Romans wich gives the "citizenship" will have consequences regarding money, public order (using religion>cultures) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Look its this simple.
    Example:

Romans Capture Malventum (Samnite Stronghold owned by rebels in game)
    For units they have three options:

1. Citizenship: the longest time for building i say we give it 6-8 turns (longest time to build a building in vanilla) gives romans full access to it's troops plus AOR units but is expensive and takes time, also has negative effect on public order and might cause revolts, but gains money
    2. Colony: adds some population to the city, increasing public order (mix between cultures), money is stable, has full access to AOR troops, semi expensive and takes awhile 3-5 turns
    3. Allies: increases public order, and income, AOR troops are very expensive however and will only take 1-2 turns.
    Well, Citizenship should have two steps in your options - The first part would be assimilation, which has the effects you wrote, the second would be to grant citizenship, which would give happiness bonus aswell the high-tier roman buildings. It will, however, cost alot, while it doesn´t take long to complete. (2 turns or so)
    Assimilation should take as long, however due to the penaltys it will simulate a political decision with big consequences.

However I propose I slighty edited version:

Allied State: 2 buildings: The first one would allow you to recruit low level AOR Units, the second one every other (if you have the proper barrack, of course). After having completed the second building, you can also build the first building of Citizenship:
    Citizenship: 2 buildings: 1. Romanization/ other faction-ization. This will remove culture penalty and allow building the normal buildings. The highest level can only be reached with the second building. The second building (grant citizenship) will also allow medium AOR Units.

Colony is pretty much just assimilation without granting citizenship. We don´t need it, for if we don´t want to grant citizenship, we simply don´t do it.

Now in building terms, you can do this:

AS building 1 + 2, then Romanization.
    Romanization, AS 1(optional), citizenship

Romanization will first have a penalty on public order, after a few rounds it will vanish however and be replaced by a tax bonus. If we grant citizenship it will give a tax malus, but a happiness bonus. The first AS building will give a happiness bonus. The second one will also give a happiness bonus and a tax malus.

This means: If you surpress them (don´t build any building apart from Romanization) you have higher income, but lower happiness. If you start granting them rights (to govern themselves, or to be a citizen) you have lower income, but higher happiness.

Every building will just take 1 turn to complete. That would be 4 months ingame, which is enough to complete a political decision like this.
    Pretty bad explanation.

Actually i was thinking exactly about the game-play, when i wrote the long method. Why? It gives options. And game-play is based on options. If you don't want to give the player the historical d**k of slow building legions (the only real problem for the roman republic) - no problem. But don't try to simplify something so complicated as the social reforms.

We actually have a few Balkan people on the team. Ask Asgaroth, how long would it take for Serbia to unite old Yugoslavia if they could start a war for it? I would go on an assumption and say - a century. Defiantly not 6-12 months ;)

@Ahowl: And yes, i am confused - you can leave the social problems (the only real problems for an empire) on game-play, but not the roosters?
    @Oz: No, not a single building in the final stage was more than 6 turns to build. ;)

So, i can give more argument about why i think my method is good. But since you find it too complicated - have it your way. :) I have nothing against a simple method. But i repeat - if it will be just there for the color (yes, one-building-government is nothing special, no offense) we may just make an AOR unit building and be done with it :)

Why not do it like this :

Ocuppation-2 turns...low public order,because the homepeople resist the occupation,some revolts may occure.
    Romannization-4 turns...It was the hardest to do,that is why I suggest 6 turns...lower rank roman units and better public order...auxillia units enabled.It is logical,isn't it ?after the Romanisation of the settlement.
    Roman citizenship-2 turns....after romanization has been completed this state now fully belongs to the Roman Republic...After this you are able to build city barracks(2turns)and recruit legions and higher rank roman units,best public order,people are happy,and no revolts will occure...

So in 10 turns you will get the best Roman units-but you have to notice that in 10 turns we have builded 4 major buildings.

Yeah, please no 10-20 turns buildings.
    Agreed.

Just to say something: first I don't like the idea to wait 20 turns to build,second I don't like the idea that some faction has more AOR units in their army then those from their roasters...I why do we even need to do AOR units,I don't get it

We actually have a few Balkan people on the team.
    Wrong,half of the team or more.

Ask Asgaroth, how long would it take for Serbia to unite old Yugoslavia if they could start a war for it?
    What does this have to do with anything ?....And I am from Croatia,not from Serbia...And I don't want to even go in that point and I say F.... the War.

And ahowl-why do we even need AOR units ?-If we don't make them it doesn't cutt of the history part.After a long debate I think that the units recruitment needs to stay vanilla as all these are just ideas that other mods have done and nothing new.I hate the idea of puting things in our VANILLA mod from other NON-VANILLA mods...

I am not going to write any more or suggest anything.I give up...

Just to say something: first I don't like the idea to wait 20 turns to build,second I don't like the idea that some faction has more AOR units in their army then those from their roasters...I why do we even need to do AOR units,I don't get it
    I don't see the reason to even have a government buildings i they won't make it more historical. Strictly game-play speaking... governments are not needed at all.
    Roman republican legion was 1/2 infantry form the romans and 1/2 infantry from the allies.
    Wrong,half of the team or more.
    It was irony. I know that ;)

And ahowl-why do we even need AOR units ?-If we don't make them it doesn't cutt of the history part.After a long debate I think that the units recruitment needs to stay vanilla as all these are just ideas that other mods have done and nothing new.I hate the idea of puting things in our VANILLA mod from other NON-VANILLA mods...
    It may sound strange, but i'm 100% for this. Except, maybe some auxiliary units. Culture specific and broad-spaced. (Gallic Auxilia for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    I actually like that aswell. Maybe we could simply make 1-2 AOR Units. Like that we can recruit gallic Cavalry in Gaul, and maybe a Hoplite-Unit in Greece? That would have a low amount of work, but it still makes you able to have a few units which aren´t in your faction roster. We could also just make some mercenarys recruit in the proper regions. That would make them overall more useful cuz you can retrain them.
    Last edited by Magneto; 02-04-2012 at 14:47.

PS: About Yugoslavia.
    Serbia had a big ambition to not let the big republic to fall apart. They didn't made it, and we had a rough 10 years of fighting and problems (Kosovo was the last drop of it) on the Balkans. The thing i liked to say is that no one can control even similar people (we are all somewhat slavs, right?) easy. And it will take many-many-many years to get it done. So that is why i don't like the idea of 6 months government.

And as a whole i like the idea of just a few AOR units, that can be recruited from the barracks.

Some of the AoR units are needed, but not many. I would say 4-8 AoR units in total, mostly for Carthage and Rome, the rest for the Seleucids, Ptolemaics (don't know if I spelled that right) and Pontics.

Wow I remember at the beginning of the mod everybody told me that an AOR was essential. Now, nobody wants it? How do I make everyone happy?
    Let's just make it as simple as possible, although it will be like RTR why don't we have one building? That building has 3 levels, 1st level takes 2 turns, 2nd level takes 4 turns, and 3rd level takes 6 turns.
    There, that simple.

The mod is based on history. I don't want to recruit Iberian Infantry in Carthage, or Samnite Spearmen in Greece. I honestly do not see the problem with AOR units. It's nothing that is not vanilla. When a faction conquered a new territory they only had access to the local troops.

@Asgaroth don't you see my point? Don't get upset, AOR is not that big of a deal, especially if we use the method above.

BUT we will wait to make AOR units until we have made rosters for each faction. That way we know how many entries we have.

Ok, we have three more things left before we finish the Romans.
    1. Post-Marian Roster (which I believe should stay vanilla, I cannot think of any new units to add)
    2. Roman Temples: we need 3 choices like vanilla, when the player chooses one he cannot build the others.
    3. Family Tree: Not hard at all. We can implement the consuls or we can combine the vanilla Roman families.

Then we move on to the next faction

That building has 3 levels, 1st level takes 2 turns, 2nd level takes 4 turns, and 3rd level takes 6 turns.

NO,no,no,no,no,no,no and NOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........14 turns + 8 to get the units....I do not understand.DON'T DO THAT BECAUSE IT WILL KILL THE GAMEPLAY....DO NOT DO THAT.

Asgaroth don't you see my point? Don't get upset, AOR is not that big of a deal, especially if we use the method above.

A Vanilla mod in my mind(VANILLA) has to have no more then 4-5 AOR units,why ???.......Because we are making a mod based on the VANILLA not a mod based on RTR,EB,RS and so on.

1. Post-Marian Roster (which I believe should stay vanilla, I cannot think of any new units to add)

Agreed...I Have found some unit named extraordinarii ?

we need 3 choices like vanilla, when the player chooses one he cannot build the others.
    Yes vanilla.
    Last edited by Asgaroth; 02-04-2012 at 18:44.

Quote Originally Posted by ahowl11 View Post
    Wow I remember at the beginning of the mod everybody told me that an AOR was essential. Now, nobody wants it? How do I make everyone happy?
    Let's just make it as simple as possible, although it will be like RTR why don't we have one building? That building has 3 levels, 1st level takes 2 turns, 2nd level takes 4 turns, and 3rd level takes 6 turns.
    There, that simple.

The mod is based on history. I don't want to recruit Iberian Infantry in Carthage, or Samnite Spearmen in Greece. I honestly do not see the problem with AOR units. It's nothing that is not vanilla. When a faction conquered a new territory they only had access to the local troops.

@Asgaroth don't you see my point? Don't get upset, AOR is not that big of a deal, especially if we use the method above.

BUT we will wait to make AOR units until we have made rosters for each faction. That way we know how many entries we have.

Ok, we have three more things left before we finish the Romans.
    2. Roman Temples: we need 3 choices like vanilla, when the player chooses one he cannot build the others.
    3. Family Tree: Not hard at all. We can implement the consuls or we can combine the vanilla Roman families.

Then we move on to the next faction
    How about making a public vote over at TWC? We could first give all our proposals and ask if anyone wants to add a new proposal, and then make the vote, which decides.

All ways aren´t bad. Yet I was never for AOR - I just also was never against it.

How about AOR units are recruited with the barracks/practice range/stables but are only available in certain regions? That way we have AOR units but dont have to worry about recruiting systems? Is that better?

Why the hell should we do AOR units for single regions?
    Ahowl, dude, just choose what the hell is that YOU want. You basically have 4 main choices:

No AOR at all
    Simple vanillish AOR stile - AOR's are just normal units, restricted to big regions (gaul, germania, thrace, illyria and so on).
    RTR AOR stile - faction and AOR units at the same time in one place.
    EB (sort off) stile - governments and AOR and Faction units separated.
    And set the meter of historical accuracy from 0 to 10 for it. (obviously i won't have any work if we don't have AOR units).
    Pick one and let mi think on it and i'll give you all a solid (as far as my skills allow me) proposal.

Why the hell should we do AOR units for single regions?
    Yup...Why do we even need them ?...We can make plenty other aspects interesting in the game...Every mod has them and since we are vanilla we shouldn't have them.

How about making a public vote over at TWC?

How about we Vote here and now ?

Non-secretive voting is never a good idea Asgaroth, so you need to create another thread with a poll. Also, what will the options of voting be?

Member Member Lord President of Gallifrey's Avatar
    The High Council of the Timelords, Citadel of the Time Lords, Gallifrey, Constellation of Kasterborus.

Quote Originally Posted by hameleona View Post
    Simple vanillish AOR stile - AOR's are just normal units, restricted to big regions (gaul, germania, thrace, illyria and so on).
    I believe this is the best. However, the team should have a vote on it.

And with all, due respect, it's not just about what Ahowl wants. It is about what the (core) team wants. Otherwise you end up with a messy scenario (The Version Crisis anyone?)

@Asgaroth: The extraordinarii were, simply put, the Italian Allies in a Polybian Army. For our purposes, the Post-Marian Army will be quite accurate.

simple vanilla AOR

@ahowl, great decision! It is simple and effective!

Ok, people. I will make you hate me again but we should touch the post-marian units to. Just post your research/opinion for the points.

1. No praetorians - they haven't been around until the imperium (a.k.a. Augustus) so i think that we should remove them.
    2. No Urban Cohorts - if i got it right, they are actually town watch.
    3. The extraordianrii are allied troops, so we can use the term as a name - Samnite Extraordianrii (sort of, i don't really know latin). :)

And some non-unit related questions:
    4. We should decide about the recruitment regions for the AOR. I suggest to not make them more than 30 (i think 40 is the maximum) and they should be one and the same for all the factions (not the units, they'll recruit, just the regions of recruitment - i.e. Gaul, Iberia, Britania, Germania, Thracia, Greek and so on). Also we will have some problems - no one knows what would have happened if GCS ruled the British isles, so some logical arguments and assumptions will have to take place for the sake of game-play.
    5. I have a question - will the roman temples be: Mars, Jupiter and ... aaa... the Goddess of family or something like that? And will we have shrines (minor tamples) alongside them?
    6. Interested in new buildings for the romans? Or should we keep it vanilla?

I just storm the questions.
    BTW, i don't have 3ds MAX for a while. My laptop died, so i use a PC that can't run it. But the laptop is just waiting for a new hard-drive and RAM, so i'll be modeling again soon. And we have the perfect opportunity to clear the plan, those who have exams to take them and to gather research :)

1. No praetorians - they haven't been around until the imperium (a.k.a. Augustus) so i think that we should remove them.
    I would hate to see them vanish, even tough you are probably right.
    2. No Urban Cohorts - if i got it right, they are actually town watch.
    We had a discussion about this earlier. I still think we should have them as Spearmen which can only be recruited in Italy.
    3. The extraordianrii are allied troops, so we can use the term as a name - Samnite Extraordianrii (sort of, i don't really know latin). :)

And some non-unit related questions:
    4. We should decide about the recruitment regions for the AOR. I suggest to not make them more than 30 (i think 40 is the maximum) and they should be one and the same for all the factions (not the units, they'll recruit, just the regions of recruitment - i.e. Gaul, Iberia, Britania, Germania, Thracia, Greek and so on). Also we will have some problems - no one knows what would have happened if GCS ruled the British isles, so some logical arguments and assumptions will have to take place for the sake of game-play.
    I think the AOR Regions should be roughly the same as the factions starting region, apart from the greeks in Italy. That way we would have 19 regions a 3 Units = 57 AOR Units

The smaller version would be to just make this dependant on the starting culture of the Regions. Then we would have 7 regions a 4 Units = 28 AOR Units

But since most of these AOR Units would be just reused ones, we would hardly make any new unit.

5. I have a question - will the roman temples be: Mars, Jupiter and ... aaa... the Goddess of family or something like that? And will we have shrines (minor tamples) alongside them?
    6. Interested in new buildings for the romans? Or should we keep it vanilla?

I just storm the questions.
    BTW, i don't have 3ds MAX for a while. My laptop died, so i use a PC that can't run it. But the laptop is just waiting for a new hard-drive and RAM, so i'll be modeling again soon. And we have the perfect opportunity to clear the plan, those who have exams to take them and to gather research :)
    I propose that you can build a major temple (i.e. Jupiter, Mars, Ceres ... Maybe we could take from the other roman factions one aswell?) and then build a minor temple for the other gods/godesses. It is ahistorical that a City like Rome, for example, just has one temple.

Maybe we could take from the other roman factions one aswell?) and then build a minor temple for the other gods/godesses.
    Excelent idea-Could you make that ?...Since it requires scripting.

It is ahistorical that a City like Rome, for example, just has one temple.
    Agreed...Or even Carthage.

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    Excelent idea-Could you make that ?...Since it requires scripting.
    Agreed...Or even Carthage.
    I can make it, but it doesn´t involve scripting. It´s simple text editing in export_descr_buildings.

No Urbans, No Praetorians. We decided that a long time ago. Here is the whole Roman roster, that way we can count down models as well.
    Camillan

Accensi
    Rorarii
    Leves
    Early Hastati
    Early Principes
    Early Triarii
    Early Equites

Polybian
    Velites
    Hastati
    Principes
    Triarii
    Equites

AOR (No Matter what Region)
    Archers
    Funditores (Slingers)

Marian
    Town Watch
    Early Legionary Cohort
    Early First Legionary Cohort
    Legionary Cohort
    Legionary First Cohort
    Roman Cavalry

AOR (No matter what Region
    Light Auxilia
    Archer Auxilia
    Auxilia
    Cavalry Auxilia

This roster accurately let's you create Roman troops with Roman buildings and the common Auxiliary troops with the AOR building. This is how it will be in the game.

Also there are 64 regions hardcoded for AOR in RTW.. I will now make a list of each AOR region that way it is settled. We can come up with units after we finish the last faction and know how many DMB slots we have left.

AOR Regions
    Italy
    Gaul
    Germania
    Britannia
    Iberia
    North Africa
    Egypt
    Arabia
    Syria
    Asia Minor
    Greece
    Macedon
    Illyria
    Thrace
    Dacia
    Scythia
    Sarmatia
    Mesopatamia
    Armenia
    Persia
    Bactria
    Sogdiana
    India
    Massagetae/Dahae

We can further organize it later.

As for temples there will be 3
    Jupiter: Most high god - trade income, happiness
    Mars: God of War - population growth, weapons upgrades
    Saturn: Jupiters Father - farming income, health, happiness

As for the family tree:
    Consul 1
    Consul 2
    Maxentii Family
    Julii Family
    Scipii Family

I'm glad that things are going back to normal. As for the Preatorians, they are basically Late General's Bodyguards with another name. However ins't the one-temple-per-city law hardcoded?
    Also for the auxiliary units, don't you think that the names ; Auxiliary Cavalry, Auxiliary Light Infantry, Auxiliary Archers are better than Cavalry Auxilia, Light Auxilia, Archer Auxilia?
    And last, but not least, "Urban Cohorts" were indeed town watchmen, but they acted as a police force. They were armed in the same way as regular legions, except that they did not have pila, and on rare occasions they entered the battlefield. However they were not as strong as regular legionaries, so in-game they should be slightly weaker than the Early Legionary Cohorts.

I can make it, but it doesn´t involve scripting. It´s simple text editing in export_descr_buildings.
    Nice Primo.

they are basically Late General's Bodyguards with another name.
    Auxiliary Cavalry, Auxiliary Light Infantry, Auxiliary Archers
    You are right on both things.

And last, but not least, "Urban Cohorts" were indeed town watchmen, but they acted as a police force.They were armed in the same way as regular legions, except that they did not have pila, and on rare occasions they entered the battlefield. However they were not as strong as regular legionaries, so in-game they should be slightly weaker than the Early Legionary Cohorts.
    You are right so I say that the town watch for the Marian army are made out of their model,and just given a spear....AHOWL11(to bring your attention),what do you say ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast