Thread: LCD/LED/Plasma/RPG/FUBAR/Panzerschrek/Achtung! Spitfire!

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default LCD/LED/Plasma/RPG/FUBAR/Panzerschrek/Achtung! Spitfire!

I have a PS3, a Logitech Z5500 and probably a powerful gaming laptop in the upcoming months.

I'll subscribe for the digital TV platform that can broadcast HD football (the one you play with your feet and a ball) matches. I want stadium ambiance as much as I can get.

So I am looking for a quality/multipurpose (TV<>PC) screen that will suit my needs. I want eyecandy visuals and connectivity (preferably with less hassle).

I guess stuff around 42'' will do fine but I'm open to suggestions in that avenue too.

Which specifications should I look for (response time? contrast ? laser turrets?) ? Are there extras you find worth paying for (3D?) ?

Danke im advansung.

Default Re: LCD/LED/Plasma/RPG/FUBAR/Panzerschrek/Achtung! Spitfire!

Oh and another thing.

What's the difference between LCD, LED and Plasma (and any others if there are I'm missing) ?

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Well, in the beginning there was just LCD and Plasma. Generally, Plasma provided a better picture, but it was a lot bulkier and heavier. LCD was lighter weight and thinner, but its colors (particularly blacks) were not as deep. LCDs were better for brightly lit rooms, Plasma was better for places where the screen would be viewed in the dark. LED is the new kid on the block, and is king. It is much, much lighter and thinner than both LCD and Plasma. Some Plasmas will still have some better color quality than some LEDs, but even that situation is not likely to last much longer. LED is simply better than LCD in pretty much every way, and the current color benefits of Plasma are not enough to make it worth considering the significantly increased thickness and weight, IMO. LED is the future of all screens. Well, OLED is the future of all screens, but LED is the future for the next couple of years. The main downside is that LEDs tend to be a bit more expensive than both LCD and Plasma for the same size. I would highly recommend LED if you can find a good on that fits into your budget.

For reference, at home I have 4 televisions. A 52" Panasonic Plasma, a 42" Toshiba Plasma, and two identical Samsung 22" LEDs. The 42" Plasma is the oldest and it is beginning to have picture issues and I will likely have to replace it soon. When I do, I will put the 52" Plasma in its place, and buy a new 'main' screen. That screen will certainly be a 60+" LED. I highly recommend the Samsung LED televisions, they look great and perform very well, though as always you should read reviews on all models you are considering.
    Last edited by TinCow; 01-28-2012 at 14:39.

Thanks, TinCow. I thought so about LEDs too.

Reviews are my primal sources of information prior to a purchase and that's why I'm here. ^^

I'll check some Samsung LEDs now.

Is it possible for me to connect an HD satellite receiver (probably card insertable for the digital platform) and a laptop and maybe even a PS3 at the same time and switch from one vision to another as I see fit ? Is this what multiple HDMI etc. inputs are there for ?

Edit: 3Ds, sir, 3Ds ! How about'em ?
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 01-28-2012 at 15:24.

Y U NO ANSWAR ):

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe Furunculus uses 3D for his gaming and he loves it, but you would have to ask him for more details.

and yes, the multiple ports mean you can "change channels" to the different things. Like I have my pc, bluray and xbox all hooked up to the same TV.
    Last edited by Beskar; 01-29-2012 at 17:35.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Why ask him personally ? Threads are dropping in your two cents, no ?

FURUNKURUSSÜÜÜ !
    >:|

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

led edgelit is the new buzz-word, but it does not in-and-of-itself lead to better picture quality.

see here for more (also a very good tv in its own right):

http://www.trustedreviews.com/toshib...858b_TV_review

but, generally speaking you want 100Hz and 1080p.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

I am here LEN! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    I believe Furunculus uses 3D for his gaming and he loves it, but you would have to ask him for more details.

and yes, the multiple ports mean you can "change channels" to the different things. Like I have my pc, bluray and xbox all hooked up to the same TV.
    what follows is coloured by the fact that i work for a 3D animation company, and produce stereo output when requested:

3DTV is absolute bobbins!

a complete gimmick.

under current technology it can never escape the flaws of a presenting depth on a fixed focal plain (used to have a link to a hollywood producer admitting as much).

what i love is eyefinity, which is surround vision using three monitors.

:D
    Last edited by Furunculus; 01-29-2012 at 23:13.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Bottomline:

LED is not necessarily better than LCD.

3D is worth the money

100Hz and 1080p

Right ? And what else (if there's any) ?

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    Y U NO ANSWAR ):
    Sorry, forgot to check the thread over the weekend.

Connecting multiple inputs depends on the number of inputs available on the television itself. If you want every single device connected separately to the television, you will need to check to see whether it has enough input ports of the proper type (HDMI, DVI, etc.) for each device you want to connect. If it doesn't, the only other way around it is to use a separate switch, which would be inconvenient.

I have no experience at all with 3D. It seems like a gimmick to me and I am not particularly interested in it.

1080p is a must. If you buy something with less than that, you are buying obsolete technology.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    Right ? And what else (if there's any) ?
    Placement is a factor. Wall-mounting is much easier with an LED due to the reduced weight. However, if you have no intention of ever wall mounting the television (or don't mind muscling the thing around), and don't care about thickness, plasma will save you some money. In addition, think about the light levels in the room where it will be used. If you will commonly use the television with the lights on and/or with a lot of sunlight coming in, LCD/LED would be a better choice than plasma. However, if the television will mainly be used in the dark, then plasma can produce better picture quality for less money.
    Last edited by TinCow; 01-30-2012 at 17:29.

Hm, that lighting perspective is a nice one to hear, TinCow. Noted.

i have to admit that i don't know anything about TV's generally, as i don't have or use one, most of my knowledge is from related technologies like screen-tech for monitors, or just cribbed off trustedreviews.