Thread: Resupply train / supplies.

Default Resupply train / supplies.

Greetings.

Fisrt of all, i would like to congratulate the EB team for their unwavering commitment to historical accuracy.
    The following is an idea regarding one of the most important issues to a successful army (nd campaign)and that is to say: logistics (precisely supplies). Sega didnt take in account the importancy of supplies for an army and thus severely undermined the accuracy of military campaings especially in hostile territory.

A) Supply as a general trait.

As you know, mods like BYG grim reality use supply as a general trait (A.1 See note) and most importantly BYG created more than one supply trait level (A.2 ), a general could easily lose its full supply trait while in a hostile territory especially if commanding a numerous army and a general could have his supply trait upgraded by fortyfing in friendly territories as well as embarking on ships (A.3), but to have his trait upgraded he would have to spend money since he would be buying supplies (A.4). The entire system of supply traits can be worked out to match EB standards.
    At this moment, i have an important question: is it possible to lose troops by traits, for instance the trait poor supplies would make some of your troops to defect or even die?
    If the answer is negative, its still possible to work around it but it would be more direct and realistic if the answer is positive.

Notes for A:
    (A.1): EB1 had a supply trait that affected moral, as we can see the supply feature was taken in account by the EB team albeit their efforts were hampered by engine limitation.
    (A.2): Full supply, half Supply and so on, also the consumption rate of the supply trait is affected by the size of the army.
    (A.3): Embarking on ships is a very important feature.
    (A.4): Certainly every campaign had to be supplied and spent money in doing so, one of the reasons why war is so expensive.

B) Resupply train

BYG mod created an ancillary known as the resupply train (B.1). The resupply train main effect would be that of allowing a given general to reach full supply status. For instance, the supply traits would range from A to E, where "A" is no supplies and "E" is full supplies; a general that has the resupply ancillary would be able to reach the "E" status while a general that do not hold the resupply train can only reach "C" status. (B.2).
    Therefore, before embarking on a campaign a given general (B.3) would have to get in a friendly city and buy supplies. Please refer to (B.4) as another interesting idea if possible. I will address acquiring supplies in another chapter.

B1) Assigning the resupply train.
    There are certainly a number of ways to assign the resupply train. My thinking goes in the following line:
    Take the Roman republic as an example, the resupply train could be assigned whenever a senator is elect as consul or praetor. Here, i have another question: is it possible to lose an ancillary? If possible, when the character is no longer proconsul or propraetor he would automatically loose the resupply train.
    If the answer is negative, it will be a minor setback that will be dealt with in the acquiring supplies chapter.
    Another option is assigning a resupply train for every general. I am well aware that this option would have some in game issues that will be dealt with in the acquiring supplies section as well as the in game issues section.

Notes for B:
    (B.1): In BYG the resupply train make it easier to acquire supplies as well as maintaining them, in my idea the resupply train would have further effects. In BYG, there`s only one resupply train per faction which is not a good idea for EB (my belief).
    (B.2): Such idea linking the resupply train to a given trait is probably feasible if we take in account the professional staff feature of BYG.
    (B.3): Taken that he has the permission to embark on a military campaing against a foreign kingdom. I, for one, believe that the EB team will use a feature that allows only a certain number of generals to do it (a roman consul for instance) since this has already been proved possible by other mods.
    (B.4): Let's say that the supply trait grade goes from "1" to "8", "8" being full supplies and "1" no supplies. The average speed that you could purchase supplies would be "1 notch trait" per turn, so if your trait is 3 you would need 5 turn to get to "8" but if we can link the average speed on which we can purchase supplies to the level of agricultural development of a given region, in a developed region we would be able to purchase "2" per turn. This would certainly add another level of strategy to the game.

C) Acquiring supplies.

First of all, i need to make some considerations regarding the supply trait system.

C1) Adopting system where only some general shave the resupply train.
    In this system every general (that doesnt have supplies at level 4) would automatically purchase supplies until it reach level "4" and the expenses would be paid by the treasury.
    Generals with the resupply train would purchase their supplies from "4" onwards and the expenses will be paid by the treasury.

C1.1) Where to purchase supplies.

Its possible to purchase supplies when fortified in a friendly territory (C.1), in a city or in a supply ship. (All these features have been proven possible by BYG)
    Purchasing in cities (please refer to B.4) should cost X gold.
    Purchasing in homeland forts should cost 1,5X gold.
    Purchasing in naval units should cost 2X gold. (C.2)

Resupplying (to some degree) by defeating an enemy army ( capturing the camp) or taking an enemy city by assault.
    Foraging.

Notes for chapter C.1.1:
    (note C.1): Concept of friendly territory.
    The sea is considered neutral (afaik). Our own territories are obviously friendly. The question is: is it possible to resupply when fortified in allied territories?
    If the answer is positive, allied states will be very useful. Imagine the following situation, you are the Koinon Hellenon and you want to attack mesopotamia, you could establish an alliance with the Hayasdan take two generals and estabilish a fort in the Hayasdan territory. One of the generals will campaign in mesopotamia while the other will keep stocking supplies when the general campaigning sees his supplies low the other general can relieve him. Other possibility is to retreat for the Hasdayan and resupply there in case you take a single general.
    ( note C.2) The idea is to introduce another strategic factor.
    As we know, its possible to resupply in naval units, this situation alone is very important strategically since naval superiority will allow the player to resupply his armies nd in case you dont have naval superiority will be very difficult o conduct far away sea invasions.
    Nevertheless, since the costs of resupply at sea (2x) could propel the player to take Cyprus and use it as a base to resupply or maybe ally himself to the Ptolemies and resupply in a fort there.

C.2) Scutage tax and buy supplies.

In BYG the order to tax the nobles was tied to the king, if possible, we could tie the order of buying supplies (for the general holding resupply train) and we could stop buying the supplies with that given general by clicking once again. Buying supplies represent the preparations before embarking on a campaign.

C.3) Time to resupply.

One notch per turn in cities. (See note B.4)
    One notch every two turns in forts and ships.

D) Consumption rate

Factors that affect the consumption rate:
    Army size.
    Time (D.1)
    I believe that supplies should not be consumed while in home territory (D.2) and fortified in friendly territories (D.3) but should be consumed when on ships.
    Notes for chapter D:
    (D.1): Applied only in situation when the supplies are consumed. Time represents that supplies are not eternal (food goes bad).
    Could be something like that:
    Consumption rate for turn 1: X
    Turn 2: X
    Turn 3: 1,25X
    Turn 4: 1,25X
    Turn 5: 1,5X
    Turn 6: 1,5X
    Turn 7: 1,5X
    Turn 8: 1,5X
    Turn 9: 1,75X
    Turn 10: 1,75X
    Turn 11: 2X
    Turn 12: 2X

One of the reasons for this feature is to make the idea of supplying in a city in Spain (and 1x cost) for invade Syria without having Cyprus (or maybe an alliance with the ptolemies) less tempting since your supplies will be being consumed on the seas and your costs to supply on the ship soar. If you take Cyprus, you will have a far more solid and economical base to the invasion of Syria.
    D.2) If and only if your home territory have a certain order, in a way that you wont conquer an enemy city and immediately be able to resupply or at least resupply in much slower pace.

E) Supply effects.

Depends on the answer for the question of chapter A.
    Nevertheless, what is certain is that being low on supplies should bring terrible effects. I case the answer for the question raised in chapter is negative a way to work around it is:
    Grade 1 to 8, "1" is no supplies and "8" full suplies.

Effects:
    8: -0 moral
    7: -0
    6: -0
    5: -0
    4: -0
    3: -2 (increase chance of rebelling)
    2: -6 (increase chance of rebelling)
    1: -10 (increase chance of rebelling)

The consequences of being low on supplies must be drastic because thats what happened in history.

F) In game issues:

First, the AI should not be affected by these features for obvious reasons.

Second, it regards the system to assign the supply trains as well as paying for the supplies nd being able to decide the amount of supplies purchased.

Thx

Default Re: Resupply train / supplies.

Supplying system.

I believe a supplying system should meet the following criterias.

A) Acquiring supplies.

Say that a Roman general is the commander of a given Theme and therefore may conduct foreign campaigns. Before embarking on a given campaign, he would have to buy/stock supplies (meaning the preparation phase --- entirelly realistic and historical). The obligation to buy supplies before entering a campaign represents the prohibitive costs of war as well as the logistics behind a sucessful army.

One could argue that the costs of war are represented by the unit upkeep. To some degree this is true but upkeep costs do not make a difference between a mobilizated army and a stationary one (other than the free upkeep) nor it represents the difficult of waging war in far away lands.

B) Consumption

After the supplies are quantified that is to say the amount of supplies that you`re taking to your journey, consumption becomes a key element of the supply system. If your army doesnt consume supplies it means that no supplies system are in place meaning that you can campaign to the ends of the world without having to manage your supplies logistic.

C) Where to acquire supplies

It is an element of logistics.
    EX: Supplying on ships means that you need control of the seas since an army should be able to go from "1"supply to "8) in 1 turn. Creating a supply line using 2 general, for instance one general remains fortiyfied in Cyprus and acquires supplies, then he disembark in Syria and supply the army campaign there.

D) Effects of being low on supplies

Effects should be terrible since there has been no shortage of example when ar army is defeated for being low on supplies.

If these criterias can be met, i think its safe to say that "habemus" supply system. It seems that such goals can be achieved which in turn will add a lot in term of realism and strategy.

Thx

It is in short not possible to implement a half-way realistical system of logistic into any TW game because that part was completly excluded by CA. The only way indeed would be to use the traits of the general, but this is a rather poor workaround because it only affects this particular general. Once the general is moved away there is no more negative effect on that army. This is such an easy sollution for the player who doesn't want to bother with supply in this given situation that implementing any elaborate system of supply wouldn't realy pay off game play wise.

A good system of logisitics would include effects on the units that stay in enemy lands. It would take into account lines of supply, such as I am holding Massilia, hence I am in supply anyways along the Rhone regardless of who is legal owner of the respective province. It would include the possibility of foraging, including its negative effect (army is spreading, discipline is droping etc). It would include means to interrupt the enemy's line of supply, even in his homlands etcpp...

Obviously none of that could be implement by traits or ancillaries. The only thing I could think of and that offers no backdoor would be a 'reversed system'. That is instead of giving generals negative traits for being out of supply they should only have positive traits for being in supply.

As such there would be no workaround: My army is in its homelands, or otherwise considered to be "in supply", so each general that I wish to stack with would have the respective positive trait. Moving away a general or swapping one for the other wouldn't improve the situation for supply effects. Or my army is in enemy lands and all generals do not have the "in supply" trait. That way there also would be no benefit from moving away a single general.

Additionally there could be some characters with a trait that prevent from losing the "in supply" trait, such as "logistical expert". Also here the effect would be permanent and positiv only, so moving away the general from his army wouldn't do me any good and would be no workaround.
    Last edited by konny; 01-31-2012 at 18:50. Reason: typo

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Quote Originally Posted by konny View Post
    It is in short not possible to implement a half-way realistical system of logistic into any TW game because that part was completly excluded by CA. The only way indeed would be to use the traits of the general, but this is a rather poor workaround because it only affects this particular general. Once the general is moved away there is no more negative effect on that army. This is such an easy sollution for the player who doesn't want to bother with supply in this given situation that implementing any elaborate system of supply wouldn't realy pay off game play wise.
    Regarding the problem of traits nd ancillaries being restricted to generals, the way to work around this is problem goes in line of BYG system ( BYG system allow only some generals to conducted far away missions. Armies without a general in a hostile territory will almost immediatly rebel).

Take the following situation: you are Epiros and you to attack Dalmatia, in this case you could place your army at the frontier (but in your home territory) and would not consume supplies (therefore there would be no need to micromanage in the way that you post). Now, you attack and conquer Dalmatia, you would be consuming supplies but most importantly Zagreb is a region with low order and separating your army from the general would dramatically increase the chance of rebellions ( even if the troops are garriosoned in the city or in a fort).

Second example: your are invading Syria from Spain, if the armies are setted to rebel when an army doesnt have a general (with permission to conduct foreign missions. Ex: Roman consul). It would be very diffuclt to avoid army consumption because your are far away from your home territories and separating your army from the general would lead them to rebel.
    Instead you could use two general with the supply train ancillary set one in Cyprus - an ally territory for instance - have him buy supplies there and then supply the campaigning army or have the campaigning army supply at a ship (control of the seas will be far more important since they will support your army with the supply line).
    Last edited by Lucio Domicio Aureliano; 01-31-2012 at 21:44.

If I am not mistaken armies rebelling is first of all depending on the leader's authority.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

i believe eb worked that around by traits wich diminish the moral of the troops this way what you don´t loose in men imediatly when starving you loose if you start a batle but thats a poor way to describe it imho

It is extremely annoying that logistics are not incorporated in TW games. That takes away a special part of warfare at all, that against the enemy supply lines. But, as Konny says, all trials to implement it via traits will be suboptimal. Perhaps you could link the supply traits with extremely important other general traits, so that removing a general from the army would be very negative. However that may make generals in situations without resupply situations overpowered. And generally, I don't like restrictions that don't affect the AI.
    The queen commands and we'll obey
    Over the Hills and far away.
    (perhaps from an English Traditional, about 1700 AD)

Drum, Kinder, seid lustig und allesamt bereit:
    Auf, Ansbach-Dragoner! Auf, Ansbach-Bayreuth!
    (later chorus -containing a wrong regimental name for the Bayreuth-Dragoner (DR Nr. 5) - of the "Hohenfriedberger Marsch", reminiscense of a battle in 1745 AD, to the music perhaps of an earlier cuirassier march)

Just a thought but could plague be used as a work around? I'm not sure if it is dependant on the general, or if it is a trait held by soldiers in an infected army, but if the latter it could be considered as a desertion rate, rather than death by plague. Generals with doctors and the such heal from plague faster, but if such traits also effect the severity of plagues (i.e. the number of units lost per turn) then the plague effects could be used as a supply/morale indicator instead of illness. Lots of ifs in that situation thought.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sethbest View Post
    Just a thought but could plague be used as a work around? I'm not sure if it is dependant on the general, or if it is a trait held by soldiers in an infected army, but if the latter it could be considered as a desertion rate, rather than death by plague. Generals with doctors and the such heal from plague faster, but if such traits also effect the severity of plagues (i.e. the number of units lost per turn) then the plague effects could be used as a supply/morale indicator instead of illness. Lots of ifs in that situation thought.
    That might work, but I don't want my generals dying from plague. I don't know if the devs can turn off the infection of cities here, but if they can, this will be a worthy substitute.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

I haven't digged myself deep into the question of plagues in M2TW, but if I am not mistaken, it is tied to cities and cannot be made working for armies. I also don't know if or how it could made turning on and off within one turn (otherwise your army would still be plagued when long since being in supply)

If it would be possible to make plague come and go at will it indeed would be a suitable workaround because it also affects units, not only FMs.

But it would be a problem, because it does affect FMs. It's one thing to have a general among his army become infected with the plague and dying of it, but starving or running away in the night? Hardly: they would be the last ones to miss a meal and if they are unsatisfied they would desert with their army or not at all.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

you can always imagine that a few of his soldiers asked him to hold a grenade i mean there´s plenty of stories where soldiers got their officers killed when they considered them incopetents

barbarossa oficially drowned but nobady thinks that a few of his men where like "crap he must think he is the new alexander wanting to march us all the way to india, anyone remembers what happened to alexanders army ? HEY KAISER THE WATER SEEMS GREAT FOR A SWIM"

Quote Originally Posted by moonburn View Post
    you can always imagine that a few of his soldiers asked him to hold a grenade i mean there´s plenty of stories where soldiers got their officers killed when they considered them incopetents

barbarossa oficially drowned but nobady thinks that a few of his men where like "crap he must think he is the new alexander wanting to march us all the way to india, anyone remembers what happened to alexanders army ? HEY KAISER THE WATER SEEMS GREAT FOR A SWIM"
    Very good point. Desertion and rebellion against incompetent commanding officers could lead to said officer being bumped off. After all, if he's facing desertions he's likely going to be trying to instill order and discipline - probably by means punishments. It would certainly make you careful about campaigning without adequate supply lines - which is what the aim would be, surely.

quick idea how about if an army has no supplies it starts losing some men every turn until they resupply
    Is eating a taco.

Quote Originally Posted by EB rocks View Post
    quick idea how about if an army has no supplies it starts losing some men every turn until they resupply
    you sir are a genius now if you can continue and crack the rtw code and code that in since nobady can do it and thats why we´re having such a discussion :|

moonburn i dont really get your sppech are you calling me an idiot or asking me to code that which i cant really do?
    Is eating a taco.

Calm down folks.

@ EB rocks

There are only two ways to make units loose men, apart from fighting, that is desertion during a crusade and plagues. Both would be possible workarounds - but only if it can be turned on and off at will via script. And I don't know any way to do this (what of course doesn't necessarily follow there is none I have overlooked).

i´m under the impression that there´s no viable workaround imho there would need to be a few more code lines inside the game engine to represent that wich is why i was so "less friendly" towards eb rocks :| even tough i like his name

there´s basically no way to represent suply lines or their effects on troops and army size there´s only way to reduce moral when they are not there

VOXIFEX MAXIMVS Member Shigawire's Avatar

This was my responsibility back in the day from 2005-2008 when I worked on EB1, aside from the voicemods. Whatever idea I and others came up with, I was met by a wall of hard coded limitations. So I failed implementing anything of note.. thankfully my "colleagues" in EB were able to get the morale penalties for attrition. I obviously wished for attrition with death, as in NTW and Shogun 2. But if we couldn't do that, at least we could do it with money or morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio Domicio Aureliano
    (A.2): Full supply, half Supply and so on, also the consumption rate of the supply trait is affected by the size of the army.
    There was no way in RTW to gauge the size of the armies, or to bind any kind of triggers according to that. I think that is still true in M2TW, but I could be wrong.

I asked about this in 2006-2007 and got a decisive "no" from the script experts at EB. As already explained, it's tied to cities.

In fact, I'd like to share with you the ideas me and the guys had for supply/logistics and siege warfare back in 2006.
    I have no idea about the possibilities in M2TW, so if anyone see any openings for any of these ideas that would be great.
    Now, from the secret archives...

2006, 11th of January, 21:30
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Shigawire
    Supply lines/Logistics-idea from community
    This public thread sparked one idea after another..

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...77#post1032877

The idea revolved mostly around the fleets, but I started thinking the obvious; that it could also be used for the armies on land!

Now it needs to be noted that we're not talking about a system implementing a realistic supply line, but rather, a generic supply/attrition abstraction based on the land being walked over.

A script checks for the square the army (or general) is on.. it adds money to the controlling faction depending on the ownership of the land.

In real life, if your army is on terrain owned by an enemy, your supplies would surely be strained by local guerilla operations, unless your faction had enough funds to perform the necessary logistical "operations". Whatever these operations may be. (hence "abstraction")

If your army is on a square of your own national terrain, your army would be provided for much more easily. By locals, local government and by the national government.
    If the army is in one of your provinces with government type 4 or 5, it would cost more to perform the necessary logistical operations effectively, since those governments are much less organized than type 1. The script would add less money. With gov. type 1 the script would add more money. If this is doable somehow.

If your army is in an allied province, the script would add even less money than with national type 5 province. Though the allied government may be all for it, the locals may have a slightly different opinion and may be slightly... "reluctant" to aid in supplying your troops. Sometimes because your army can be somewhat uncontrollable and may start looting from civilians.

In enemy territory, your army would cost the maximum amount to supply.

We could even add the type of terrain your army is located on. Desert, hilly, plain etc.. Of course in reality it was the entire stretch of the supply line which mattered. But even the local terrain of the square the army was on would make some impact. With each type of terrain giving small bonuses or small penalties. The overriding factor should naturally be the owner of the terrain.

Enemy owns the terrain = most expensive.
    Move your army over a good route in enemy terrain = slightly less expensive

With this new game mechanic we could even connect a bunch of cool traits and ancillaries to the mix! And this would make them MATTER and make SENSE.

Various degrees of "Forager" (the Romani would excel at this trait)

"Quartermaster" ancillary (this word sounds a bit too "napoleonic", maybe something sounding more ancient?)

"Camel train master" (if army has a camel unit, this ancillary will help cut down on logistics cost, gives special bonus in deserts)

etc...

I submit to you that this is an idea we need to look more closely into. I know the AI won't be able to cope, but that shouldn't stop it from being considered from every angle! If need be, we'll give the AI even more help.. with testing and tweaking we'll make it right.

2006, 11th January, 23:59

Considering the idea The_Mark presented:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mark
    Supply lines: Now we're talking! Though, I'm afraid that we can't link it to government buildings in the provinces, we can certainly detect if a character is in enemy lands, but basing it on distance would probably be overly complex with the engine we have at hand. Traiting could, however, tie it to the time the general has spent in hostile territory..
    I especially like the idea of a timer. We could use an internal local timer, based on traits, running all the time for each character. Because just crossing the enemy's border shouldn't be the worst, it's when you get deeper into his lands that it becomes harder to supply.

Let's say the army of Makedon went into hostile Epeiros territory. The first 3 or 4 turns after crossing the border (from national to foreign territory) the Makedonian army would still be close enough to be realistically supplied from the Makedonian border. Perhaps not as well as on national soil, but the same degree as on allied territory. This means a timer of 3-4 turns. After this time, the full weight of the consequences weigh over you and your army. And you no longer recieve the "add money" to the same degree any more. But, if you have a "forager" trait or similar ancillaries, there will be some "add money" performed, but only to cut the costs, it doesn't make you rich. Also, winter could make this different for different parts of the world. This, however is complicated. But I like it complicated, we just need to break it down to its components. We must find out how winter plays into all of this.
    This would, for one, add extra reason to attack settlements instead of starving them out.
    Getting filthy rich would allow you the luxury of starving the cities to submission.
    I don't know how EB's limits are, but it must not be impossible to get this rich..

Here's one thing which is important. Can we have the script check what type of square the army is sitting on?
    If not, then all the following text is probably irrelevant.

We could also start adding special tiles on the map, such as minor towns. I heard of another mod dealing with this, "metropolis" something?
    Also oases are another possibility. Tiles next to rivers also help..

Moving the army over special tiles like these would be beneficial to your army.
    Meaning, if we implement the aforementioned timer which The_Mark suggested, moving over an oasis on enemy territory could reset the timer to last for example 2-3 turns more.

Now 2-3 turns is 6-9 months. But this isn't supposed to represent the amount of food/supplies gained from 1 single oasis, it's simply an abstraction for the larger amount of such sources which would have to be found, over larger spans of time, if the said army was marching on the proper path.

The Romans were known for being excellent foragers, while the Greeks were famous for having excellent supply operations, which Roman observers of the Makedonian siege trains can testify to. We could weigh these things up against eachother.. and have the Romani be given more money "on average" on almost any terrain, due to excellent foraging.. while Makedonians or Epeirotes for example would get better timers from the loots. A greek army moving on a square with a "small town"-resource could get a timer of 5 turns (disregard number - just thinking out loud).. while a Roman army could be given a timer of 2 turns for looting the same square - to reflect the greeks' superior supply train. While the Romans would get a much lower average penalty for moving over empty terrain in general.. due to them being foragers. Except when moving over desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull
    As a historical mod, the first question we have to ask is, "Does it cost more to maintain an army on enemy soil than on home soil?" When the army is at home, they can't be sustained via pillaging, so everything has to be provided by the state. The plus would be short supply lines. When on enemy soil, the army can, to some degree, sustain itself via pillage/foraging, and everything so gained is "free" to the treasury. Some things still have to be supplied from home, but is the combined cost greater or less? It seems like, at worst, an even split.

The other issue is distance. "Does suppply cost increase the farther away from home the army travels?" Again, it would appear that other factors are far more important. A Roman army near Carthage is more easily supplied than one just across the Alps, simply because sea supply is faster and cheaper-per-ton than horses/mules/oxen. Likewise, a Roman army in the rich lands of Egypt should be far cheaper for the treasury than an equal number of legions chasing Sweboz through the empty Germanic Forest.

2006, 12th of January
    Pillaging is not a predictable method of sustenance. It is like any hunt, and you may come absolutely empty, or may get a little bit. Pillaging is an activity which relies on an effort from the army, and can only be done on hi-density areas. Whilst if the army is on national soil, the state and locals can and will provide for the army, with little or no effort exerted by the army. This is even highly fruitful for mercantile activity, and lifts up the national spirit, since the fathers and husbands of the populace are home. As has been often witnessed.

The entire point of this thread was to figure out what was possible and what wasn't. So don't be surprised if what you read here sounds far fetched. Just tell it the way it is. We may have to cut the corners and make this more rough. But that's still more than good enough. If we can only have National territory and Hostile territory, as 2 distinctions of logistical operations, that is good enough for me.

Don't throw it into the bin just because we can't have everything we point at. Instead cut away the fat that we can't have, and look at the meat that we can have. And don't say that it cannot be done because it is too hard.
    Since when was EB known for doing things the easy way?

Quote Originally Posted by LordBula
    Comon get reall. This is to much for RTW scripts.
    Eeaven if somehow it was possible this script would be HUDGEEE.

Bula, you're right, we can't make it just as sophisticated as could be desired. We could, however, have Tom use his traits to track how long a general has been in an economically hostile enviroment, and we'll deliver the nip to the player's treasury. Distance would be out of the question - simply too complicated for our engine.

Of course, who says that AI would have to supply his units? End of that problem.

But, as Kull said, we'll have to make sure we can represent them historically.

When the army is at home, they can't be sustained via pillaging, so everything has to be provided by the state.
    Weren't the Roman legions a significant source of income to the local traders and cities, as they purchased quite a lot of stuff by themselves when back home?

Quote Originally Posted by QwertyMIDX
    They did indeed, roman legions were followed by private merchants when in garrison and when out in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Malrubius
    What sort of time scale do we want for this? Away from home: 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years? We can have up to 9 levels, if we want to get that complicated. This would only be for the player, right? We can also track whether he spent the winter in enemy territory (or summer in arid regions).

To do it:
    Track whether general has ended his turn in a settlement.
    If not, check whether he's in one of his own provinces.
    If not, increment the number of seasons he has been out campaigning (can treat this differently depending on season, where instead of a straight number, we can track the severity of his situation as well. So, 6 months + winter = worse than 9 months of spring, summer, and winter foraging.

Malrubius: Can the script check for which kind of tile the army is on?
    For example, if we had special tiles, like oases in deserts.
    Could the script check if the army ended its turn on such a special tile?

Scripts can check whether an army has ended its turn in the vicinity of a certain tile, but not traits, afaik.

The bigest problem is that we CANT tell what units are in field.
    We know that general/family member is there but does he command 100 troops or 3000? We just dont know.
    But when in settlement we can tell exactly how many units and witch units are in settlemen.
    Becouse of this i propose to reverse problem. Don make upkeep in field higher/lower but make upkeep in home cities higher/lower. Although i dont know why it should be higher i think it should be lower. This is something we can do.

Malrubius: Can the script check for which kind of tile the army is on?
    For example, if we had special tiles, like oases in deserts.
    Could the script check if the army ended its turn on such a special tile?
    Scripts can check whether an army has ended its turn in the vicinity of a certain tile, but not traits, afaik.
    Right. I can't detect anything except what settlement a general has captured, or if he ended his turn in a specific settlement or not.

Right. I can't detect anything except what settlement a general has captured, or if he ended his turn in a specific settlement or not.
    But we have all data when in settlement. We would not need traits.

Can you detect how many troops general comands and add proper trait?

Quote Originally Posted by LorDBulA
    But we have all data when in settlement. We would not need traits.

Can you detect how many troops general comands and add proper trait?
    Not on garrison. Only immediately after a battle.

The only thing traits would be useful for here, that I can see, is judging how long and under what conditions a general has been in the field, and applying effects to his men's morale or his health as a result. Now, what the scripters can make of that...[/quote]

Won't we have another problem where it just gets better and better to use captains? Especially if we take Bula's route and make upkeep lower and use this to make it higher when forces are away from the city.

Won't we have another problem where it just gets better and better to use captains? Especially if we take Bula's route and make upkeep lower and use this to make it higher when forces are away from the city.
    Yeah, because nothing I can do will affect captains. Now, I could give more boosts to generals in garrison, that I can take away when they're out campaigning for long periods.[/quote]

Can't we change or truncate the upkeep to be generally higher?
    That way captains would not be exempt from upkeep - and may even be worse off than generals.. as it should be. A "green" captain leading an army into foreign land, how do you think he would fare logistic-wise?

Then use the "add money" type of operation to do a positive leveraging of the upkeep for generals. ..unless I misunderstand something and this isn't possible.

The better suited traits he has, the more money. A general with a foraging trait gives the army the ability to forage better on average "empty" terrain, meaning that his faction gets more money than if the general didn't have this trait. The money from foraging should naturally not be larger than the money from pillaging, but because it helps reduce the toll on logistics it consequently reduces the cost of having the army operational on foreign soil.

The side idea of having "special tiles" must have to be considered more closely. I refer to the "oases", "small populations", etc.. Because it would be wrong if the army could just sit on one of these special tiles and constantly reap its benefits. It should work on one turn, and then only work again after a certain amount of turns. A sort of regeneration of the populations/resources. Perhaps 10-20 turns of regeneration for populations. 5-6 turns for pillage-foraging tiles (oases/grapeyards etc.) to regenerate.
    This is complicated, but is it even doable? You would need some hidden counter or "dummy" working in the background.

Regardless if this is even possible, the awesome rewards for us would be that idiotic campaigns such as the one of Marcus Licinius Crassus would be reflected in practice for the first time in a game.. Suicidal marches over scorching deserts would have to be contemplated wisely in order to even succeed. EB, a mod, would be

NOPE. Troops outside the Homeland city will be more expensive no mater who commands them and troops inside Homeland city will be less expensive no mater if there is general or not.
    This is the best way we can do it becouse it works always.
    With it we can eaven promote more historical army setup.
    We have to refund unit by they number so we can have this for example:
    we refund up to 4Hastati 4Principies 2Triari. So if player like to have 6Triari then he pays for 4 of them normaly becouse they are not consider as local troops but as garison from other towns.
    Thsi way we can finaly show diffrance betwean Levy troops and Profesional troops. The later should not be refounded.

As i said when general is in filed we just dont know how many troops he commands. Script cant tell us this and traits cant tell us this so we will never know how much money we have to give/take away from player.
    This is what IMO kills any realstic complicated idea about giving money for characters outcide city.
    Do you want go give/take away X amount of money no mater if general comands 50 men or 3000 ? Or do you want to guess?

Not on garrison. Only immediately after a battle.

The only thing traits would be useful for here, that I can see, is judging how long and under what conditions a general has been in the field, and applying effects to his men's morale or his health as a result. Now, what the scripters can make of that...
    Should I do something like this?

I can have a "Well-supplied" trait that is normally applied to generals in a settlement (who aren't under siege), that provides a boost to TroopMorale, Defence, and maybe Attack or even just Command instead (would give every general a command star under normal circumstances).

Then, when he's not in a settlement, and outside of his home territory, after a certain length of time (depending on the general's logistical skill), we take the bonus away with a "Poorly Supplied" trait, knocking him back down to where a captain would be.[/quote]

Hmm i kinda like this idea.
    we take the bonus away with a "Poorly Supplied" trait, knocking him back down to where a captain would be
    Would it be possible to lower it below captain level (but only for human player) when general is in long campaigne?
    Something like this: 1 year in the filed -1 morale, 2 years -2 morale, 3 years -3 morale. But recovering should be much faster +2 every one seson in town, but only to well suplied level.
    It would be nice if you could also lower morale when general is besiging city. Afther all its very hard work for soldiers or very boring (depends if they are prepering to attack or are just waiting to sit them out), they stay in one place so local resources runs out quickly, diseas are also big problem.

Hmm i kinda like this idea.

Would it be possible to lower it below captain level (but only for human player) when general is in long campaigne?
    Something like this: 1 year in the filed -1 morale, 2 years -2 morale, 3 years -3 morale. But recovering should be much faster +2 every one seson in town, but only to well suplied level.
    It would be nice if you could also lower morale when general is besiging city. Afther all its very hard work for soldiers or very boring (depends if they are prepering to attack or are just waiting to sit them out), they stay in one place so local resources runs out quickly, diseas are also big problem.
    Yeah, it's possible, but I'd rather keep the penalties low if at all, so I'm not punishing the player for using a general. Taking away a boosted attribute is fine, and that's the way I do a lot of other things, like having +1 morale, or boosted movement in your home provinces, but taking it away when invading. Same goes for the summer and winter campaigning restrictions. It really just knocks the general's movement down to like a normal unit.

From the AAR I'm seeing, we don't have a problem with me giving too many bonuses to the player's generals.

NOPE. Troops outside the Homeland city will be more expensive no mater who commands them and troops inside Homeland city will be less expensive no mater if there is general or not.
    This is the best way we can do it becouse it works always.
    This is a basic premise we can certainly accept, it's also the best position to start from in our modding process. Also, higher morale inside your own city.

With it we can eaven promote more historical army setup.
    We have to refund unit by they number so we can have this for example:
    we refund up to 4Hastati 4Principies 2Triari. So if player like to have 6Triari then he pays for 4 of them normaly becouse they are not consider as local troops but as garison from other towns.
    Thsi way we can finaly show diffrance betwean Levy troops and Profesional troops. The later should not be refounded.
    Very good idea. But how could it be handled?
    You say in the next quote that we can't detect or count units..?

As i said when general is in filed we just dont know how many troops he commands. Script cant tell us this and traits cant tell us this so we will never know how much money we have to give/take away from player.
    This is what IMO kills any realstic complicated idea about giving money for characters outcide city.
    Do you want go give/take away X amount of money no mater if general comands 50 men or 3000 ? Or do you want to guess?
    This definitely kills that idea..

You touched an important aspect here. This is something I have been getting around to talk about. In one way, we must not confuse morale and impatience. The morale of the besiegers would actually improve as the defeat of the enemy got closer at hand, and the attraction of loot made the men impetuous, not demoralized. Demoralization is something the besieged would be most likely to suffer. Not the besieger.

But the cost of investing a city should be very grave for the besieger. Athens spent an estimated 75% of its annual budget to maintain the investment of Syracuse in the Peloponnesian war. This is something which can be handled, according to Malrubius. By counting how many turns you have invested the city, it gets more expensive by each turn. Starts out not too expensive, and the last turn before it falls it becomes very expensive.. This must again be balanced with the potential for enormous rewards and loot pillaged from the city when successful.

How is the loot from a city handled in the game? Is it an extrapolative percentage of the settlement's income? F.ex. 4000% of Thermon's income?

We do not need to base the cost of an investment (passive siege) on the amount of troops in the city. Instead the city should just be considered a city, among cities. Taking a city is a big thing in any case. Hopefully, when/if we have a realistic portrayal of cities,

The besieged must start out with excellent morale at the first few turns of investment. At the last turn, the besieged ought to be demoralized. The besieger should start out with a lower morale. Consider the fact that the soldiers have just marched a long way and are dismayed by the prospect of having to do manual labour and construct siegeworks. But as they get snug in their investment, the besieger's morale increases each turn. That way the player has to weigh his army's morale (chance of success in assault) against the expenditure of a longterm investment..

SO in short,
    On the first turn of the investment (passive starvation of city):
    The defender will have a very good morale, the attacker will have a slightly bad morale, the attacker will also be cheapest to supply on the first turn.

On the last turn of the investment (passive starvation of city):
    The defender will have a very bad morale, the attacker will have a slightly good morale, the attacker will also be the most expensive to supply on the last turn.

Number 1, this would realistically portray the fact that local supplies are finite, and that the logistics route (whether by sea or land) will have to be strained.

Number 2, this would give the historically accurate incentive to assault cities, which was to avoid the expense of a longterm investment.

Number 3, the defending army will have the worst possible morale at the last turn, giving the besieger yet another incentive to wish to assault near the last turn, not only to avoid the increasing expenditure but also for easier victory. Attacking on the turn before the last turn may be the best option.

If assaults are already too common in the game, we must find ways to make them more difficult in fact.. I guess the siege-script (spawning levies) will alleviate this problem a bit, but we must also look at other ways.. time-limit is not the way to do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by LorDBula
    You say in the next quote that we can't detect or count units..?
    Yes we cant outcide the city. Inside city we can tell what units are there and how much.

2006, 12th of December
    Regarding this: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=74384

Can we give armies a little more morale penalty when moving in a foreign sand province? I know it's already implemented for all provinces, but I thought maybe they should be extra extra in sand environment.

The smart way to conquer along North Africa would be to move in with a fleet, which goes much quicker than marching your army over sand. And it wouldn't give the large morale decrease that it would on land.. since you'd get there faster. I dunno if the AI can be taught to do this of course..

Quote Originally Posted by BozosLivehere
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by keravnos
    hmm interesting. It needs tweaking though, to achieve playbalance or desert will eat armies up.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksnail
    Does it make sense to have a "desert fighter" attribute which counteracts this penalty? It could have a chance of firing for those who 1) are of an ethnicity which hails from regions with the "desert" HR, and 2) are "blooded."

I have limited understanding of the trait system and am brainstorming here; I certainly don't mean to step on any toes.

This is where it would have been nice to be able to use terrain-tiles to affect traits. Then you would actually have to move from water-hole to water-hole to maintain a high morale. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by keravnos
    Off course some avid users extended Sahara till the mediterranean, effectively ending the "desert wars" but essentially making Africa 2 different isles... Too effective I think. We should be more moderate in any adjustment...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...03#post1345803

---

... so now you can all see what a heavy brick wall we were hitting. Hardcode limits restrained us enormously for RTW/EB1. And from what I can read, that's still a problem in EB2/M2TW:K, though I'm not an expert since I've been pretty much absent from EB2 development for a long time.

But I noticed this thread today and it caught my eye. I hope some day we can model a better logistics system, plus a more realistic siege warfare model.

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

A lot of reading, for sure.

Now, some things indeed can possibily be addressed better with the M2TW. For example, we now have the condition RegionIsOneOf that accepts one or many more region_id numbers in one condition line. This allows to, rather easyly, set up a couple of provinces as a larger region where certain things do or don't apply.

Taking my example with the Rhone from above, I could define a set of provinces as in supply by access to that river provided the faction in question does hold Massillia. So I would check that said general is a Roman, he is in one of the RegionIsOneOf, and that the Romans do hold Massillia -> character is in supply.

This also could be used to simulate supply by sea. So I could make a trigger that checks if the Carthagians do hold Carthago herself and if the character is in one of the provinces with access to the western Mediterranian by using RegionIsOneOf, and that way define that he is in supply.

(note that I am still aiming on the above proposed "reversed system" that doesn't trigger whether a character is out of supply but define when he is in it)

Another thing could be free_upkeep. When units have a higher upkeep but are made free_upkeep you would be safe as long as you keep them inside their cities, but run dry as soon as you have them running around.

There are only two ways to make units loose men, apart from fighting, that is desertion during a crusade and plagues. Both would be possible workarounds - but only if it can be turned on and off at will via script. And I don't know any way to do this (what of course doesn't necessarily follow there is none I have overlooked).
    Another mod for M2TW, Bellum Crucis, has a script that make mercenaries of all factions to desert if the finances go red. Maybe it can be adapted to the purpouse of simulating attrition because of lack of supplies.
    Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    RESPECT
    from Ibrahim

Quote Originally Posted by Aper View Post
    Another mod for M2TW, Bellum Crucis, has a script that make mercenaries of all factions to desert if the finances go red. Maybe it can be adapted to the purpouse of simulating attrition because of lack of supplies.
    I don't know that mod, but that does sound like a different thing: I can destroy certain units in a faction by script (I think that was originally implemented to remove the pagan units from Lithuania once it has converted in Kingdoms). But this completly removes all those units throughout the entire faction and cannot check which of them are inside your capital and which of them are deep into enemy territory.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

To be honest, if you just disabled retraining, you might be able to get the desired effects since oyu would have to wait for reinforcements.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    To be honest, if you just disabled retraining, you might be able to get the desired effects since oyu would have to wait for reinforcements.
    Agreed.

It wouldn't really make a difference. To retrain you have to enter a city in which you could recruit the respective unit. The possibility of retraining has no advantage whatsoever for an army in foreign land. This is not ETW, where a unit can be reinforced without returning.
    Last edited by Lysimachos; 03-08-2012 at 17:22.
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

If I am not mistaken armies rebelling is first of all depending on the leader's authority.
    I do not know how BYG did but whenever we attack another faction's province without a general that has permission to do so, the army rebels.
    Most of the ideas proposed here were proven feasible and i feel that with a some adjustment its possible to implement a convincing supply system although not perfect.

Killing troops when on low supplies can be done by the destroy_unit feature, unfortunatelly it would destroy the unit instead of spreading the casualties among the army nonetheless it might deserve a closer look to it.

Ty
    Last edited by Lucio Domicio Aureliano; 03-19-2012 at 17:28.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

It think the current one is best.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

I also think the EB team did the best possible in Europa Barbarorum but MTW2 has many new possibilities nd i dont think that the very gifted Eb team wont make use of them.

Ty