Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's not EBII but.....

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default It's not EBII but.....

It was a sunday afternoon, rather than be productive as I should have been I found myself on the toilet skimming through Youtube. I was searching for Medievall II mods after our good friend stratigos vasilios had recommended I try a few out. That's when I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjMW...eature=related

I'm not sure if people have posted about this mod. Even from this short video it's clear this mod is anachronistic (New Kingdom Egyptians versus Imperial Rome, La Téne C & D Gauls versus Danubian Legions etc.) and I am not posting this video for mod bashing purposes. Rather I was wondering if the EBII team was aware of this mods development, and if so it might be an idea to get in contact with the developers. They certainly seem to have very good skinners judging by the Persian and Greek troops. Also it does appear this mod has borrowed elements from EB judging by some of the skins on the Gauls.

If anything, this video gives us an idea of the possibilites of EBII, especially the Iranian troops of which (as far as I am aware) no screenshots have been released.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Default Re: It's not EBII but.....

I'm not 100% sure, but that looks like running on the ETW's engine...
    Last edited by Arjos; 02-06-2012 at 12:21.

oh neat, horribly anachonistic but very neat indeed. Tho I think many textures are "borrowed" from Rise and fall.

A nice thing about thisone is a thing I think many M2TW+ mods almost totally ignore, or keep to a absolute minimum: Unit variation. With that the mod plays rather nicely apart from romans who all look the same^^.
    Last edited by Ca Putt; 02-06-2012 at 14:28.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

No, that's the medieval II engine alright. I can really see it because of the vanilla MTWII textures that I don't like.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt
    Tho I think many textures are "borrowed" from Rise and fall.
    A lot of stuff is "borrowed" from EB as well. Both the red and the white blankets on the elephants at 00:57 are taken from EB. And that general at 2:36 is the EB Arverni general. Those gallic shield designs seem to be from EB too...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also the shields of the italian cavalry which is from the Samniti milites, at least that's how it looks from afar tho the Ajors shield really is 1:1 EB^^, not to forget those moustaches of those Gauls, I'd recognize those everywhere :D
    The thing is that "borrowing" textures from mods(without asking) is a nono whereas borrowing textures from games is borderline illegal. Eventho I have often seen people copy stuff from R&F, have yet to hear of any legal measures against them. The thing with R&F is that they have pretty and very flashy textures that are perfect for high res RTS, as the game also has a FP"S" mode in which you see all the details^^ That said they also have Imperial Triarii and lots of "the mummy returns"egyptians.

Correction: further research showed that it's actually this modd(or a version of it and yes, there are elements of EB^^) http://empiretw.ru/board/index.php?showtopic=32775
    Last edited by Ca Putt; 02-06-2012 at 19:51.
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

If I'm not mistaken it's made by the same guy, can't remember exactly his name, who got banned from TWC and here for using our and other's people material w/o asking for permission.

Jup that's my hunch aswell.

banzai according to my memors & the site^^
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

It does look very pretty though. Maybe Tux should make an EBII video to compare the prettiness...
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Quote Originally Posted by stratigos vasilios View Post
    It does look very pretty though. Maybe Tux should make an EBII video to compare the prettiness...
    And who would finish other eye candy work like strat map characters, units, etc..

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

That link has some obvious copy and pasted unitcards also. In the second picture from the top all have been taken from EB except for possibly the 3rd last horse and the identical 3rd, 4th and 5th units. That's blatant theft unless someone gave permission?
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

No we didn't that's why Banzai, tks for reminding me Ca putt, and his mod got banned from here and twc.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...N-Ancient-Wars
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=521141

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

We should send the Celtic Viking retrieve Banzai's head.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

No Problem, mutual respect and acknowledgment amongst modders is one of the things I hold somewhat high.

No wonder he has fled to some strange russian forum^^
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

- Leonidas of Sparta

- Alaric the Visigoth

i guess i'll never understand whats so bad about taking other peoples stuff without filling out 3 pages of requests first...
    i can understand it if a company does not want it, since they are trying to make money out of it, but with stuff thats distributed freely anyway? where is the problem? (aside from hurt pride for not being asked about it, or feelings that your stuff is "misused", but that are no real problems, just stupid aspects of human life which stand in the way of a better understanding between people :D ) it's not like somebody would take something away...
    open source stuff 4 the win ;)

yea i know, i'm totally fighting a lost battle there
    Last edited by fightermedic; 02-07-2012 at 22:06.
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

We talk again when you spent a couple of years of your spare time to create something for free and then another one just uses it without giving you credit (and therefore getting the praise from the people that don't know about your work). ;-)

@Topic:
    Instead of that (seemingly bugged and small) mod just play Paeninsula Italica II.
    Looks better (really!), features accurate history and breathtaking eyecandy like a stratmap model of the famous port of Carthage and the Via Appia (via event), playable Samnites, Boii, Ligurians and a dozen more peoples and has so far the most immersive MII:TW map I ever saw.
    And no stolen work included.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    We talk again when you spent a couple of years of your spare time to create something for free and then another one just uses it without giving you credit (and therefore getting the praise from the people that don't know about your work). ;-)
    The usage part isn't the problematic aspect of it - they could be using your work for their own private amusement. The real problem is that they - be it implicitly or explicitly - pass of your work as their own. Or (for example, if it's a text) change it and then publish it, perverting the original message and intent.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: It's not EBII but.....

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    i guess i'll never understand whats so bad about taking other peoples stuff without filling out 3 pages of requests first... i can understand it if a company does not want it, since they are trying to make money out of it, but with stuff thats distributed freely anyway? where is the problem? (aside from hurt pride for not being asked about it, or feelings that your stuff is "misused", but that are no real problems, just stupid aspects of human life which stand in the way of a better understanding between people :D ) it's not like somebody would take something away...
    Why should I not feel possessive about my own creations? If I were write a book or create a piece of art, I'd like to have some say in what happens with it.

I don't have any problems with open-source, but the idea of copyright is a sound one. Without copyright, the profits of any successful creative work would go to the biggest thief. It doesn't matter whether these profits come in the form of fame or money or website hits, the creator deserves the right to profit from his creation. And if he chooses not to sell it, that still doesn't make it OK for to do so.

Now, if you wish to argue that copyright duration is too long, that copyright protection is often excessive, that SOPA is evil, and so on, I am right there with you. But copyright itself is good.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

To futher Ludens' point, without copyright or any way to protect what is 'yours' then the whole creation process itself would stagnate. Ideas would spread slowly and people would hoard things....capitalism itself wouldn't work, neither would modern medicine or any of the luxury things we take for granted (ipods/automobiles/quadruple-ply extra-soft mega thickness toiletpaper)

And in the case of a mod, these people are doing the work and have not explicitly labelled this stuff as 'free-for-all'. You can use it, just.... ask first and give credit.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    capitalism itself wouldn't work, neither would modern medicine or any of the luxury things we take for granted (ipods/automobiles/quadruple-ply extra-soft mega thickness toiletpaper)
    Without the intention to start any discussion about it I'd like to strongly disagree about this rather simplified world view*.
    Medical knowledge is hoarded (search for "BAYER/Anthrax" or "South Africa/Anti AIDS generical medicine/G.W. Bush/WTO" for two very clear examples) and capitalism "works" for a minority of the world's population only (the exact percentage depending on - for example - how you define "life-threatening poverty" ).
    Another thing: if only the copyright can make the world go round - how did mankind ever invent all the things up to the invention of copyrights, including clear luxury (for about the same percentage of people as nowadays)? ;-)

As I said - I don't want to start a huge discussion about this but there is a bit more to the "copyright subject"...
    I agree to the general statement that copyrights are a good thing though.

(*No offense intended, Blxz - I just can't word it better.)
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; 02-08-2012 at 18:27.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    i guess i'll never understand whats so bad about taking other peoples stuff without filling out 3 pages of requests first...
    Three reasons:

1st: It is a matter of respect to the original creator of that piece of art/code. You don't properly credit a guy who's stuff you find so good that you include it into your own mod means you don't respect that guy.

2nd: "Public Applause" is the only reward a modder gets for polishing his mod into publicity releasable form and offering support for people downloading it. When you go and steal that mod, or parts of it, for your own applause you are indeed taking away something that belongs to someone else, even though it cannot be measured in coins. The absolut least thing to do would be to proberly credit the creators so that they get the applause they have earned themselves.

3rd: It is a common custom of the modding community. So in case you go and give somelese's work as yours you are voilating the customs of the community and that you not only don't care about that particular modder but also about the entire community.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

Exactly... I think he is the creator of Thera mod for m2tw.
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwalker View Post
    I'd like to strongly disagree about this rather simplified world view*.

(*No offense intended, Blxz - I just can't word it better.)
    Of course it is simplified. I wrote 3 lines of text. I am not going to go into an economics discussion on a history forum. Suffice to say that capitalism does work and almost all other forms, so far employed, do not work consistently in our society.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Of course it is simplified. I wrote 3 lines of text. I am not going to go into an economics discussion on a history forum.
    Heh. Point taken.

Suffice to say that capitalism does work and almost all other forms, so far employed, do not work consistently in our society.
    Okay, let's agree to disagree here. Seems we have a completely different definition of "it's working" - nothing to start an argument about in this forum though... as you said.
    from Populus Romanus

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    Jup that's my hunch aswell.

banzai according to my memors & the site^^
    yep-that's the one.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

>this thread
    >people still thinks that the "capitalism" nowadays is the same that it was in the 1950 instead of a mix of leftwing ideas and right wing ones

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst123 View Post
    >this thread
    >people still thinks that the "capitalism" nowadays is the same that it was in the 1950 instead of a mix of leftwing ideas and right wing ones
    Don't mix american-ism with capitalism. America is more socialist than they think.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    The legionary helmets look odd in that mod and I think EBII will outdo them in the graphical sense on an older engine
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Ohh god...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast