Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Default Re: Mass Effect 3

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    And IMO that immature shouting in the beginning served it's purpose well.
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

I am of the (probably outlandish) belief that BioWare had their own "true ending" DLC planned well in advance of the outrage that occurred when the game was released. And even though they were going to charge me $5-10 for it, I bet it was perfect and gave answers to just the right amount of ambiguity while leaving the right things open-ended.

If this whole thing changed their original plans for the worse, I'll be pissed.

That, and no matter what it perpetrates the bad rep that gamers have been getting recently.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Also I beg to differ. This furor is one of a kind. I do not recall so many people coming together to protest so vehemently against any one single game......loud enough to actually make the developers (and not just any developer, Bioware....Bioware of EA) back off....even if it was just one step back.
    I don't see it as being unique at all. The only thing unique about it is the scope, which is largely due to how the internet has expanded. Within the last 10 years (heck, you could argue the last five ) ordinary, run of the mill people have been given intimate access to the people from whom they buy products. Social media is out of control to the point that, if you want to throw stones at a politician, company or anyone for that mater all you need is a computer and a twitter account. It's really not so much the intensity of the rage but more the scale by which people can share it that has led to the current level of media coverage, and the reaction from Bioware/EA.

A good comparison would be the DX: Invisible War backlash. People still have hard feelings about that game but the fan reaction couldn't move mountains due to how disconnected the masses were from the minority back then. Now days? Forget about it.

And while the early protests were immature and too extreme with people simply shouting and not listening, IMO that bit of a protest is just as important as the eventual civilised discussion that leads to some sort of solution. Do you think the devs would've listened or responded as well as they are doing now, if all that happened was a bunch of people posting their views on the game?
    The first thing required was to make sure they listened to what was being said. And IMO that immature shouting in the beginning served it's purpose well.
    I'm never going to give credit to the act of being an immature idiot by saying the end justifies the means, because it doesn't. All it really does is justify the label that people throw onto gamers as entitled idiots who will throw a tantrum if they don't get their way. It gives smug, self-satisfied journalists an excuse to dismiss the entire argument in condescending articles like the ones you find on Kotaku and Destructoid. It might have helped in the short term, but in the long term it's done its own damage. It hurts the discussion and it hurts the perception of the market and the people who inhabit it, and that is something I really don't approve of.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-27-2012 at 16:54. Reason: to remove section i forgot to when i re-wrote this post. Also to take out naughty language ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    I don't see it as being unique at all. The only thing unique about it is the scope, which is largely due to how the internet has expanded.
    Agreed. But size does matter. And it is impressive. At least to me.
    Also this is (AFAIK...correct me if I am wrong) the first time such a movement achieved some degree of success. That is what makes it unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    I'm never going to give credit to the act of being an immature idiot by saying the end justifies the means, because it doesn't. All it really does is justify the label that people throw onto gamers as entitled idiots who will throw a tantrum if they don't get their way. It gives smug, self-satisfied journalists an excuse to dismiss the entire argument in condescending articles like the ones you find on Kotaku and Destructoid. It might have helped in the short term, but in the long term it's done its own damage. It hurts the discussion and it hurts the perception of the market and the people who inhabit it, and that is something I really don't approve of.
    I must say that while your point is valid, from a more general perspective, shock value is required to make people pay attention. And the immature people IMO opinion, provide that. The drama, and shock. I don't say that I like it or that I condone it. But in this case if it helped in getting the job done, then so be it.
    And you did not say....do you think the devs would've reacted in the same manner had it all just been civilised discussions on BSN, free of controversy?

Edit:
    Although I am sure that the civilised charity that was started did a lot more to gather attention than any amount of immature yelling did.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.
    I am of the (probably outlandish) belief that BioWare had their own "true ending" DLC planned well in advance of the outrage that occurred when the game was released. And even though they were going to charge me $5-10 for it, I bet it was perfect and gave answers to just the right amount of ambiguity while leaving the right things open-ended.
    If this whole thing changed their original plans for the worse, I'll be pissed.
    That is a pretty bleak, and I agree, outlandish perspective (although I confess that before Ray's latest statement I too wishfully clung to something akin to it). But I really really doubt that BW would've stayed quite about their wonderful plans to surprise fans once people started abusing them.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 03-27-2012 at 17:43.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Blog Entries

Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 04-05-2012 at 07:11.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by video's description
    MovieBob goes into detail about the difference between artists and fans.
    OH BOY HERE WE GO. I'm not even gonna press play, i know nerd-baiting when i see it and he should be ashamed. But then that's what the Escapist does best, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot
    And you did not say....do you think the devs would've reacted in the same manner had it all just been civilised discussions on BSN, free of controversy?

Edit:
    Although I am sure that the civilised charity that was started did a lot more to gather attention than any amount of immature yelling did.
    I think you answered the question for me, there. Look I won't deny the possibility of the crazies contributing to the end result, but the damage they ultimately did to their own argument far out weighed their contribution imo, that's all I'm saying.

That is a pretty bleak, and I agree, outlandish perspective (although I confess that before Ray's latest statement I too wishfully clung to something akin to it). But I really really doubt that BW would've stayed quite about their wonderful plans to surprise fans once people started abusing them.
    It's an interesting question! Personally.. I don't know. It's hard to say one way or another with the amount of PR dancing Bioware has done since release. They've been dropping hints since day one that they've got a "plan," but then that facebook post goes up claiming they've "not decided anything." Days later the announcement is made the ME3 team is back to work on new, single-player content. It's a merry-go-round of deception that'll make your head spin.

My best theory still revolves around Bioware running out of time and being unable to conclude their work ontime. So they decided to end ME3 on a cliffhanger, which would then be continued after launch and finalized in some kind of DLC package.

Who knows if that actually happened or not, but its my best guess.
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 04-05-2012 at 07:11.

Saying it with cake.

Fans of the "Mass Effect" franchise who were disappointed in the new title's ending have found many outlets for their anger at Bioware and the game developers who they say phoned in the ending to the video game space-opera. The game players have found a number of ways to express their fury. The newest, and perhaps most creative, protest came in the form of 402 cupcakes delivered to Bioware's offices in Edmonton, Alberta.

The cupcakes, which came from a local Canadian bakery, arrived with a short note to Bioware developers: "As fans, we want Bioware to do right by us, and fix the endings for Mass Effect 3. But we also want to let Bioware know, that we trust them, and have faith in them. Bioware has been slammed by negativity from all sides in the last few weeks. This is our way, as fans, to drive our message home, but in a (literally) sweet way. We want Bioware to add some more 'sweet' to their 'bittersweet' ending. What better way to do this than with CUPCAKES :-D."

The next N7 challenge Operation: Raptor is announced - http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...index/10731456 . March 30 - April 1

Instead of kills its based on promoting. Promote 2 characters to earn a commendation pack. Community goal is 150,000 characters promoted to the single player campaign to earn a Victory Pack. Personally I've only promoted two, but this looks like a good incentive to finally make me promote my bruiser Krogan and re-level him.

Expect to see a lot of low levels playing silver again because they've promoted their star character and don't want to slum it on Bronze.

Blog Entries

Heh, I just played through the game again today, seeing what javik does for a play through and when I got to Wrex's speech, it crashed! Even the game didnt want me to see that ending again.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Heh, I just played through the game again today, seeing what javik does for a play through and when I got to Wrex's speech, it crashed! Even the game didnt want me to see that ending again.
    Wait... you played through the entire game in a day?

He makes a slightly depressing speech about how
    He's going to commit suicide.

Speaking of which, (Question about DLC dialogue)
    Does anyone know if there's any additional dialogue for Ashley/Kaidan if they are taken to Eden Prime on the mission to 'retrieve' Javik? (Because to do that one would be required to postpone doing the DLC mission till after Priority Citadel II mission and I haven't done that till now in any playthrough.)

He makes a slightly depressing speech about how
    He's going to commit suicide.
    Only if you make him watch the memories again. Otherwise he decides to explore the galaxy

Speaking of which, (Question about DLC dialogue)
    Does anyone know if there's any additional dialogue for Ashley/Kaidan if they are taken to Eden Prime on the mission to 'retrieve' Javik? (Because to do that one would be required to postpone doing the DLC mission till after Priority Citadel II mission and I haven't done that till now in any playthrough.)
    It's possible, but doubtful. They might say something about the Prothean beacon but Liara pretty much covers that anyway. And I think everyone has a different take on the "dinosaurs" joke.

I guess I'll try it the next time around.
    BTW it's funny how a paragon option makes Javik give the depressing speech and how not making him look does not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    Wait... you played through the entire game in a day?
    Uh, no, sorry poor wording on my part.

Priceless.

From the creators of Minecraft comes Mars Effect

The game is still very early in development, but here is a list of things we hope to include:

• Hard science fiction.
    • Lots of engineering.
    • Fully working computer system.
    • Space battles against the AI or other players.
    • A game ending that makes sense.
    • Abandoned ships full of loot.
    • Waist high walls.
    • Seamlessly landing on planets.
    • Advanced economy system.
    • Mining, trading, and looting.

- Notch

Priceless.

Good job I remembered what the date was..

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Priceless.

Stil doesnt reach the level of win that is Mass Effect the 80s style cartoon, on the Awesome scale it's clearly William Shatner

I nearly wish it wasnt an April Fool so they would make this
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Saw that. Bioctic Amps.

Surprised I'm the first one to get to this, but here it is:

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/04/05/m...-extended-cut/

Set for release this summer, and it's free. Provides "closure" on the endings but does not "change" anything.

And so we get an extended cut DLC.

On the upside, it's free. That's about it.
    On the downside, I doubt it'll be a lot better than the wide variety of fanfic and fan-made text-based ending closures. Infact I'm pretty sure that the added cutscenes won't be of very good quality. And the glaring inconsistencies in the story will probably remain.

But what irks me most that they still have the gall to mention twice how they are proud of their endings and the artistic vision. So everyone else who's been criticising the endings for being subpar this last month is, in their opinion, stupid I guess.

Edit:
    Chaotix beat me to it while I was typing :D
    Last edited by rajpoot; 04-05-2012 at 18:09.

And so we get an extended cut DLC.

On the upside, it's free. That's about it.
    On the downside, I doubt it'll be a lot better than the wide variety of fanfic and fan-made text-based ending closures. Infact I'm pretty sure that the added cutscenes won't be of very good quality. And the glaring inconsistencies in the story will probably remain.

But what irks me most that they still have the gall to mention twice how they are proud of their endings and the artistic vision. So everyone else who's been criticising the endings for being subpar this last month is, in their opinion, stupid I guess.

Edit:
    Chaotix beat me to it while I was typing :D
    It's a PR post and nothing more. We know, exactly, nothing more or less than we did on April 4th the day before this news broke. All we know is that there will be an ending DLC and that it's going to be free, but we've heard rumors of that for months anyway. "closure" and "not changing anything" can mean just about anything.

On one hand, the DLC could be nothing more than an epilogue ala Dragon Age: Origin style (closure, and not changing anything) that explains what your squad and the galaxy did after the boom.

On the other hand, it could mean a continuation of the game beyond the endings we already have, and that the current RGB simply locks you into your ending path (closure, and not technically 'changing' anything).

So who knows. Personally I'm tired of the whole conversation so I probably won't post much in this thread anymore. Expect speculation to still be running rampant until the very day of release.
    Last edited by Monk; 04-05-2012 at 19:31.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh lawd. Finally. Reapers on gold. Technically vanquished. Even with a durdly soldier holding us back. Got smashed inwards at literally the last second by a pair of banshee blasts that kept me from getting personally extracted.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	122749170-3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	5092  
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So there is confirmation of a free DLC coming out next weekend for MP. I got two words for you: Krogan Vanguard.

Linky
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by issaikhaan View Post
    So there is confirmation of a free DLC coming out next weekend for MP. I got two words for you: Krogan Vanguard.

Linky
    An important thing to note is that, aside from the maps, most media is reporting that the new characters will be released LOCKED. If you guys and girls want to get your hands on these things day one then i suggest stocking up on some missles and equipment before saving every last credit from this day on.

The more credits you save, the higher odds you'll get the new stuff you want. Good hunting
    Last edited by Monk; 04-07-2012 at 03:43.

Blog Entries

I dont understand what the problem is for Bioware, from what I've seen they has a perfectly reasonable ending, yet they threw it out for something that is completely at odds with the tone of the rest of the games and even 99% of the same freaking game. And when 90% of the fanbase rebells they still have the nerve to not even consider changing anything , just make it longer... Gah! I thought I got over it but the pains still as fresh as ever! How do they go from Dragon age: Origins to this Rot?!
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-08-2012 at 12:35.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

The way they went from DAO to ME was incredibly easy, because it's a short journey from bad to bad (and both do nothing but tarnish the name of bioware and the term rpg).

Blog Entries

Well thats a matter of opinion on DA's quality but I didnt compare them on quality of the games I was comparing the quality of the endings, say what you like about the game but DA:origins range of endings was leagues above ME3

Blog Entries

I feel better once I found this fan made ending maker:http://www.writing.com/main/interact...enerator/map/1

I feel better once I found this fan made ending maker:http://www.writing.com/main/interact...enerator/map/1
    Nice, going to check this out.

I tried this one a few days back, and it tries to provide with a happy conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    The way they went from DAO to ME was incredibly easy, because it's a short journey from bad to bad (and both do nothing but tarnish the name of bioware and the term rpg).
    Would I be right in assuming that you preferred DA2 to DAO?

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast