Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    So I finally got Civ 5 out of my system sufficiently to play some Sword of Islam. Phew!

Can anyone recommend an interesting Muslim faction? Something medium-sized, nicely positioned, decently wealthy?

Secondly, are there any particular aspects of Sword's gameplay I should aim to try out ASAP? Anything which makes the Muslim factions particularly cool?
    1: Mallorca is a nice faction to play as. Starts out with 4 provinces, has some minors nearby, has medium wealth, but the riches in southern spain are nearby.
    2: Polygamy and the intrigue between wives is quite interesting.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh god. I'm 3rd in line for the kingdom of France.

Must... control... murder reflex...

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Oh god. I'm 3rd in line for the kingdom of France.

Must... control... murder reflex...
    Dont control it. Give in to it.

You know you want to...
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Why exactly would you want war with the cumans?
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    My brother-in-law, the Emperor of Byzantium, keeps calling me to arms. I answer the call, but don't actually send any troops because I'm too busy plotting my eventual invasion of Sweden.
    Just refuse it, he won't ask you again if you refuse.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Supporting (ie: just accepting the call, it's not necessary to send troops) will boost your relations and will make them more likely to help you yes :)
    Although byzantine assistance in Scandinavia, will come after quite some time, especially if they decide to go via land, coupled with all the attrition their army will face XD

Also refusing costs prestige, but I don't know if you are in need of it or not :P
    Last edited by Arjos; 08-09-2012 at 05:43.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Will that hurt my relations with them? The Byzantines are doing pretty good against the infidel hordes, I wanna make sure they're on my side if/when I make a move in eastern europe.
    Refusing costs between -25 and -100 prestige. It will also cost you a -25 on how they see you, so it makes it unlikely they will come and help.

Accepting means you are at war as long as they are. Being at war cuts out some of your options, like giving titles to those outside your kingdom, doing most of the feasts or tourneys and so on.

That said, they usually tell you that they can’t come and help most of the time. Also marrying off daughters to the big factions usually works to your disadvantage. They are always at war, this makes them less likely to help you and much more likely to call you. On top of that your daughter is likely to die just as soon as a male heir is born. Offspring are not your allies either. They also have a weak claim on your lands or kingdom.

Not that that will matter so much. Sweden is going to get stomped by one of the hoards when they come on the map anyway. It is just about as bad as trying to play in Spain.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Behold! The Roman Empire is reborn!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

This is that Rum Sultanate game I had been talking about earlier in the thread. It's finally reached the point where I can consider it finished and stop worrying about ending 30 plots per minute from my endless list of subjects.

All in all, I guess this shows how much fun I had with Sword of Islam. The map itself is pretty interesting - I can answer any questions you have about it but for now I'll post the most interesting things.

-I can field roughly 600 thousand troops, and 25k just from my demesne. When a decadence uprising came along late-game, it nearly broke the game!
    -I am also the (Titular) Sultan of Georgia and Bulgaria. I could form Croatia, Serbia, Sicily, Syria, and Egypt, but they haven't de jure converted yet.
    -I killed off every single member of the Seljuk family except for my immediate family, including the whole Persian line. Even now, the only lands held by Seljuks are the Sultan's royal demesne.
    -England has been the subject of quite a few Jihads, and keeps going back and forth between Muslim and Christian powers. It went from English to Egyptian (almost fully Shia converted) to Danish and now it's Mauretanian.
    -At one point France was the seat of the last vestiges of Egyptian power (the Fatimids were overthrown by the Italian Reggio Sultanate, and that's what they were called. Now France has taken it back.
    -The Mongols were so afraid of me they never even dared to declare war on me. The results are amusing; they never got very far. They basically took all the Cumans' and Khivans' land and called it a day. The Ilkhanate converted and is friendly; the Golden Horde is basically nonexistant.
    -The Russian Empire formed on its own. All that ugly extra territory above Crimea and Alania (which I intended to take) that I have up there is the result of my Beylerbeys declaring war on their own for pieces of territory. Each of them is basically as powerful as a king in his own right.
    -I Holy War'd the Pope for Rome so I could really call myself the Empire reborn. He launched a Crusade to take it back from his holding in Ireland, and I beat the crap out of all of Europe in response. I have also renamed Constantinople to Istanbul and Rome to Rum, and I hold them both in my personal demesne.
    -The Seljuks have married into all the ruling dynasties of Europe, and as a result most of the monarchs are now dark-skinned. In contrast, my Sultans tended to be light-skinned because I married European brides. Just a funny culture-reversal.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

So ... could somebody please tell me what Sword of Islam offers for players who do not want to kill the world? I'm hoping I'm missing something. Paradox don't offer a good enough war simulation for me to find wide-scale conquering interesting, and all those dynastic, political and social aspects I like in the standard Christian game are sorely lacking from the Muslim one. Hajj is a short, repetitive chain of events which played out near-identically for each character I sent on it. Ramadan likewise. The multiple wives thing translates to an annoying penalty you can't afford when small but which you can easily ignore when large, and which ensures there will be plenty of dull imprisoning action come succession time.

Please. Help! Somebody save this from being a huge disappointment for me.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    So ... could somebody please tell me what Sword of Islam offers for players who do not want to kill the world? I'm hoping I'm missing something. Paradox don't offer a good enough war simulation for me to find wide-scale conquering interesting, and all those dynastic, political and social aspects I like in the standard Christian game are sorely lacking from the Muslim one. Hajj is a short, repetitive chain of events which played out near-identically for each character I sent on it. Ramadan likewise. The multiple wives thing translates to an annoying penalty you can't afford when small but which you can easily ignore when large, and which ensures there will be plenty of dull imprisoning action come succession time.

Please. Help! Somebody save this from being a huge disappointment for me.
    Unfortunately, I think you probably hit the nail on the head with that post.

Playing as a Muslim makes conquering much easier, but it makes remaining stationary much more difficult. Historically the Muslim hierarchy did not operate on a purely hereditary basis, and as you said there is much less emphasis on dynastic ties because women have no political options.

So what I would say you have to do to really get an immersive experience is to refrain from some of the gamier tactics. Sort of the same way you might decide not to invite courtiers, land them, and press their claims for quick land grabs as a christian. Or to marry into the throne of France and keep assassinating until you inherit.

Maybe you might want to not deliberately imprison all of your brothers after you inherit, unless they rebel or plot against you. Then you would get some real serious succession wars to survive. And it would drive your decadence up faster as well, making it a challenge to manage, maybe even have to put down an uprising if you're lucky. Because that is what the Muslim game is all about - decadence. If you pick a small family and know how to curb decadence right from the start, you'll never run into problems with it, but a big family like the Seljuks or Fatimids has decadence problems whether you're careful or not, just because they start out with so many family members. I literally had to assassinate all the Persian Seljuks while playing as Rum just to make the game manageable. Allowing your family to grow a little bit might simulate that with a smaller dynasty.

Something about the new DLC was leaked. The name? Legacy of Rome

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...C-title-leaked

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

My sweet little PR birdie from Paradox tweeted me to expect more solid info on this within a week, sounds promising.

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    My sweet little PR birdie from Paradox tweeted me to expect more solid info on this within a week, sounds promising.
    Expect it on a Friday. There is a pattern of PI announcements and news: They are always featured on a Friday.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

The Gates of Hell is a secret, "medieval legend" event chain hidden within the files. Legends have a mean time to happen of 9000 months which means without any sort of help, you'll never see them. Their chance to appear is modified by your character's traits and possessed is one of the modifiers that increases your chance of seeing it.

The other legend event is Robin Hood and his Merry Men causing trouble in your kingdom.
    Last edited by Monk; 08-17-2012 at 12:30.

I had that event in my AAR too. I must say it is pretty cool.

I got the Gates of Hell in my old Ireland game.

Caught me completely by surprise and it was pretty hilarious. I filled it with rocks, too... I wonder how well the other methods work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    I got the Gates of Hell in my old Ireland game.

Caught me completely by surprise and it was pretty hilarious. I filled it with rocks, too... I wonder how well the other methods work.

For those curious about the mechanics of the Gates of Hell, what the different methods mean and what you might want to do if it ever pops up in your game then here's a spoiler:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

All of them have the same chance to work but they require certain things for you to use them. Christians can perform an exorcism to try to combat Hell's minions and characters who aren't greedy can sacrifice cattle. The default "safe" option open to all characters is the stones options, and for the truly desperate, sacrificing children to it can only be done if a child of an appropriate age (between 10 and 20) is in your court.

You might be wondering, well then, what's the difference? The difference is the aftermath. Each way of dealing with the problem will apply a different character modifier that you have to live with for 5 years, the modifiers are:

Code:
    exorcism_gateshell = {
    	learning = 5
    	general_opinion = 3
    	church_opinion = 5
    	icon = 2
    }
    cattle_gateshell = {
    	stewardship = 5
    	general_opinion = 2
    	church_opinion = -1
    	icon = 4
    }
    stones_gateshell = {
    	martial = 5
    	general_opinion = 4
    	monthly_character_prestige = 0.5
    	icon = 1
    }
    sacrifice_gateshell = {
    	intrigue = 5
    	church_opinion = -2
    	general_opinion = -2
    	monthly_character_prestige = -0.2
    	icon = 5
    }
    There are two very clearly positive outcomes for the gates of hell event, those being stones and exorcism. Cattle is a split between good and slightly bad, the church doesnt like it but who cares it's gone right? Human sacrifice is something everyone hates, but it gives you a huge intrigue bonus for the next 5 years.

Member thankful for this post:

Legacy of Rome has finally been announced. Looking forward to this one!

The factional system is what has me most interested. It seems to be taking the "dumb" out of plotting and giving it a purpose. Dealing with plots for byzantine rulers looks to be much more complex than simply hitting someone lightly on the wrist with a "stop that!".

If the system can be used in factions that are not the Byzantines it will solve a lot of the problems i've been struggling with for my mod.
    Last edited by Monk; 08-29-2012 at 03:11.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Legacy of Rome has finally been announced. Looking forward to this one!
    Giggity!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

First AoR dev diary has dropped. It's a summary of things included in the dlc and the things in the 1.07 patch.

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    First AoR dev diary has dropped. It's a summary of things included in the dlc and the things in the 1.07 patch.
    Answers to my prayers. The in-realm factional system is replacing plotting on a wide-scale, regardless of where your character calls its home. This opens up a heck of a lot of possibilities for much more dynamic and intriguing plot based gameplay, more logical support for rebellious vassals against a liege and modding. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox Interactive
    Oh, and we're taking another tack with the DLC this around - if you don't own the DLC, the AI won't be using the new mechanics or events either. Also, from now on in multiplayer mode, the host will control which DLCs are active.
    An incredibly good change that allows the community to be flexible in what DLC they buy without being locked out from playing with their friends. It looks like most of the great stuff is going to be in the content patch for free anyway.
    Last edited by Monk; 09-05-2012 at 16:56.

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

Hello guys. I wanted to join to you and play CK2 with you. Please gide me.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Hi, another new player here, been playing for a week or two, mainly on tutorial island aka Ireland, but have been reading the official forum for months. I like following the story of my characters although sometimes events are few and far between and it feels like I am only waiting for the next claim to be fabricated. Tried somewhere in Burgundy and southern Italy, but coming to grips with the complicated relationships between characters and figuring out a plan of expansion seemed too much for me at the moment...

Looking forward to the next DLC too, sounds a bit more appealing than the last one. I like the parts about separate ambition and plot, and the increasing influence of generals in battles.

Quote Originally Posted by komnenos View Post
    Hello, I am a newbie too. If you are looking for help in understanding/playing the game, there are a lot of useful information here:

http://ckiiwiki.com/Crusader_Kings_II_Wiki

Also, if you register under "My Games" at the top left corner at the official forum, you can download a great user guide at the CK2 FAQ forum

Hope that helps.

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

Now, I can't play it with you?
    Last edited by komnenos; 11-20-2012 at 12:33.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am interested in hosting a PBM succession game.

Just asking here if anyone is interested and if you are, what kind of starting point would you like?

An idea might be the Habsburgs, the each of us taking over through the generations and expanding to see how far we can get.

If there is interest, I will make the topic in the throne room.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Quote Originally Posted by komnenos View Post
    Afaik we tried once and didn't work...
    I even remember reading that without a patch it didn't even start or something...
    Don't know if anyone tried again after that...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    With an idea of the rules (as in how long the turns are for each player or if people will load different characters etc), I might be interested :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post

Just asking here if anyone is interested and if you are, what kind of starting point would you like?

An idea might be the Habsburgs, the each of us taking over through the generations and expanding to see how far we can get.

If there is interest, I will make the topic in the throne room.
    Starting points later than 1066 should be considered if this will become a thing. Right now muslim factions start a bit too powerful in relation to their christian neighbors at the earliest date. The early tech advantage combined with incredible ruler demesnes means that it takes a miracle for the Fatimids to suffer any sort of calamity in vanilla. They use that stability to run over absolutely everyone in my experience.

I'd suggest something closer to either 1080, 1090 or 1100 to have a good point to start from. They are all nice round numbers and let the AI grow and collapse a bit more organically.
    Last edited by Monk; 09-12-2012 at 11:42.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    With an idea of the rules (as in how long the turns are for each player or if people will load different characters etc), I might be interested :P
    Each person will control a character ruler. So lets say I go first, I play till my King dies then you play his successor, etc.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast