Thread: Star Citizen - which of you is not excited?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Star Citizen - which of you is not excited?

OK - first thing - if you aren't excited yet - there's the door.

If you're on the fence - here's some stuff from CitizenCon.

Opening Cinematic for Squadron 42:

Beginning of the Squadron 42 campaign - pre combat:

This one rather speaks for itself:

Now, I need me a new stick.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Default Re: Star Citizen - which of you is not excited?

My buddy and I are so set to start our BH Corp in it. Our names will be feared among the PU
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

And if you want to keep up on all the drama surrounding this one, including live appearances by Chris Robert's arch-nemesis Derek Smart you can poke your head into the Qtr To Three forum thread that has been going on for quite awhile and for my money is likely to prove more amusing than the actual game itself (assuming it ever launches and doesn't instead stay in a perpetual state of ponzi scheme just raising money): http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...ts-of-promises

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

The game looks interesting, but Im concerned that they are promising the stars and in reality we will just get the moon.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    And if you want to keep up on all the drama surrounding this one, including live appearances by Chris Robert's arch-nemesis Derek Smart you can poke your head into the Qtr To Three forum thread that has been going on for quite awhile and for my money is likely to prove more amusing than the actual game itself (assuming it ever launches and doesn't instead stay in a perpetual state of ponzi scheme just raising money): http://www.quartertothree.com/game-t...ts-of-promises
    Is this the supposed "scandal" where the game devs have been using the crowdfunding, which is their income, to buy big swanky houses?

Anyway - get real - the game looks awesome - the combat, both in-flight and first-person, is proven to work and people enjoy it and they've just released the first system in the PU.

Plus - the first part of Squadron 42 is at least half finished.

Yes, this may end up being the most expensive game development ever but so was Wing Commander IV with a budget of 12,000,000 and I still love that game.

BTW - I did an inflation calculation and Wing Commander IV's budget in today's money would be 18,198,470.36, Star Citizen has been pledged 92,000,000 thus far, and the most expensive game of all time is Star Wars the Old Republic at 200,000,000, followed by Destiny at 140,000,000 and GTAV at 137,000,000.

So, frankly, for the budget if we get Squadron 42 as promised, which will definitely happen, and the two sequels I would say that alone would "justify" the budget but they're building a whole persistent, non subscription, world as well.

Anyway, like I said, if you're a downer then get out.

and the most expensive game of all time is Star Wars the Old Republic at 200,000,000
    I see: the MMO. Well, that's EA for you. Just look at Destiny.

I doubt the 2003 RPG was even a percentage of that.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    I see: the MMO. Well, that's EA for you. Just look at Destiny.

I doubt the 2003 RPG was even a percentage of that.
    To be fair, the majority would have been spent before the EA acquisition, and I suspect a lot of the budget went on the voice cast - given that Chris Roberts has spent months directing Gary Oldman in Mo-Cap I'm sure a lot of the Star Citizen budget has gone on Squadron 42's shoot.

The only danger I see here is if the money train dries up because of these dubious claims, which notwithstanding the furore last week don't seem to have legs because nobody has written a followup and I see no trending Reddit really.

Personally, I expect Roberts gives himself a fairly big salery, but why not? He runs the frigging company. Aside from that, it's pretty clear the game is making progress, it's on the cusp of the PU being realised, which is being built otu from the starting system demo'd.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "finished" too because I expect the Star Citizen galaxy will keep growing after launch.

I remain excited.

Still can't decide what stick to buy, though.

Man, I want a game thats a mix between Xcom and Eve and this game gets closer to that everyday.
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Anyway, like I said, if you're a downer then get out.
    Hate to break it to you, but I have no intention of going anywhere.

I'd be grateful if the mods could restrain the troll from now on, he's not adding anything except a downer, he should start his own thread for that.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Please keep it civil folks. If you have nothing meaningful to contribute to the topic being discussed, try not to comment. On the other hand, dont feed the trolls.

Not in any way saying that easytarget is a troll, by the way. Just to clarify: disagreement is perfectly fine, I am just saying that we should keep it civil while disagreeing. This goes for everyone.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 10-17-2015 at 02:44. Reason: clarification
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The bruhaha at CIG has even managed to reach the mainstream press: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasoneva...nd-retraction/

Salvage crew gets wasted - shoulda brought another guy to pilot the Cutlass, guys.

Some walking around, some space combat, some EVA, more flying, some FPS action and a ship jacking

This is why you get insurance, guys.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I have Elite:Dangerous, I've postponed playing it until my HOTAS is delivered. I will give this game a try if/when it gets released, if it isn't obscenely priced and if the reviews are positive. Same for No Man's Sky.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I don't think there is any real danger of the game not being released, Chris Roberts has only ever done one bad thing - the Wing Commander movie - he's produced about half a dozen very successful computer games and several films - including Nicholas Cage's Lord of War which made 72.6 million off the back of 42 million according to Wikipedia.

That's not to say the game isn't suffering from a degree of feature creep but I suspect we're more likely to get Squadron 42's first "chapter" shoved out the door along with a truncated universe than we are to actually see the game fail.

Both Mark Hamill and now Gary Oldman have compared Roberts to George Lucas. That's something of a double-edged compliment but even stuff Lucas has done which sucked still made money.

thats cause slapping starwars or "lucas arts" on something is guaranteed profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    thats cause slapping starwars or "lucas arts" on something is guaranteed profit.
    Well, true, but that doesn't entirely invalidate my point. In essence Chris Roberts went on Youtube, showed a short vid said "I'm making a game" and people demanded the right to throw him money.

Star Citizen hits 1 million players (not backers) and gets an article on the BBC: website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34548609

Mark Hamill talks about Wing Commander, Star Wars, and Star Citizen.

He also talks about what a what a nice guy Chris Roberts is and the art of digital capture.

Chief Sniffer Senior Member ichi's Avatar

What a difference a decade makes!

STW was my first online PC game; I bought it on a whim and played SP until one day I ventured online, found some guys called themselves ronin, and then fell in with some hunters. My comp could barely run MP, my internet dropped me all the time. Then MTW.

Then the Bears started talking about WoW, STW/MTW dropped off and I just couldn't get into Rome, so when Mrs. ichi started playing a druid I found that on those rare occasions when work allowed I was playing a hunter. My comp barely handled it, in raids I went down to about 20 frames. But that got old, and until Shogun 2 arrived I was not really gaming much. Finally had a comp that could handle my game.

Now this. I checked it out and its amazing. First person space game!? Not my first choices, but ... the vision is there for a truly remarkable experience. My comp, oh man, I'm going to need a bigger boat!
    Stay Calm, Be Alert, Think Clearly, Act Decisively

CoH