Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

We'll see and experience it soon.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

The biggest frustration I can have in this game is when you declare a holy war for example charsianon, the charsonian duke(or beylerbley in this case) goes rebel against their master. Your war is now inconclusive. Devs, fix this, quickly.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

yup you are not alone in this, probably they will fix it since many people have been complaining about it.

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

I exploit that like a madman XD
    Soon as an empire is facing rebelions, I declare war against the smaller "usurpers" and avoid fighting imperial armies :P

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

conqered 3/4th of iberia in 25 years. bossss

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    conqered 3/4th of iberia in 25 years. bossss
    I heard that you had an issue of incest in your dynasty?

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

The next DLC pack was officially announced and is something that's, surprisingly, both interesting and nonesential. It's a built in character editor. Want to redesign your dynasty coat of arms? Want to find out what would happen if William of Normandy was actually a woman? Well it's totally possible, as well as completely redesigning the portrait and age of your starting character.

Announcement link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...-you-requested!

Quote Originally Posted by Johan of Paradox
    This is something that you guys here requested last autumn, so we have now made it for you.

Basically, its a ruler designer, where you can edit your character, dynasty, traits, stats and much more at the start of the game..

Who do you want to be today? When you start a new game of Crusader Kings 2 it is the question that every player faces, still finding that perfect character to play is always the challenge. You may have found the perfect place but well the man who has it just isn't quite right. A stat is a little too low, that trait is a little annoying, he could really do with a son and heir, the less said about the nose the better, and why does he have such a stupid name? Well now with the new CK2 ruler designer all these are in your hands. Customise your character your way. Tweak and change any aspect of the character or even create an all new character and dynasty to play with. Create your portrait, change the name and dynasty and even customise your coat of arms. Change traits and stats at will and decide the size of the immediate family. The game that lets you choose your goals now will let you
    choose your character.
    I love this idea. This is a really cool adition to the game but strikes me as something that is wholly optional. It's not a new faction or de jure empire that I would kick myself if I didn't buy, it's just a fun little character editor. Historical purists will likely want to take a pass on this one

The DLC is set to be released on April 17th.

EDIT:

Also, the free content patch that's coming with the DLC introduces a lot of stuff that folks have been begging for. Crusades that have contribution scores (no more crusading all on your own!).

Crusades now target entire de jure kingdoms (changed from duchies), with the King contributing the highest score overall seizing the kingdom if the crusade is a success. The contribution table, combined with now targeting de jure kingdoms means that crusades are about to become a hell of a lot more powerful...

Read up on the 1.05 mini dev diary here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...arch-30th-2012
    Last edited by Monk; 03-31-2012 at 16:46.

Not really interested in that dlc. It just seems to be such a small part in a huge game. I think I would also miss the feeling of having a very well educated ruler, because you can just make a good one anyway.

As for the patch, I'm curious what it will include. I sure hope something to nerf the HRE, because they usually have the entirety of Italy except the kingdom of sicily.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I don’t know where I stand on the “Next Patch” thing.

Last time the Nerfed the ERE but it doesn’t seem to have mattered a lot.

They Buffed the Muslims which for me and a lot of others has made Iberia unplayable.

They changed the AI priorities on marriage and alliances, which results in Harold Blood Ax always winning in England by calling his HRE new allies.

They always sound good on paper…or digital, but never quite work out as planned.

As for what is revealed about the 1.05 patch: The crusades thing doesn’t even sound that good on paper. As it stands now the HRE is going to win every crusade and wind up being the only show in town.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 04-01-2012 at 17:57.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    I don’t know where I stand on the “Next Patch” thing.

Last time the Nerfed the ERE but it doesn’t seem to have mattered a lot.

They Buffed the Muslims which for me and a lot of others has made Iberia unplayable.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by any of that. The only buffs to the muslim factions that I'm aware of went to the Caliphates (the Islamic empires) and the Seljuks, both of which are nowhere near Iberia and never interfere in it in my games. The three games i've played past 1230 have had varied results in Iberia.

I agree on the ERE bit though. The empire seems a little more unstable but still requires an act of divine influence to fragment. I'm amazed it it did so in my very first game, looking back.

They changed the AI priorities on marriage and alliances, which results in Harold Blood Ax always winning in England by calling his HRE new allies.
    I've never seen that, every game still ends with William taking over England for me. The only oddity i've seen from the marriage change is that now Poland or Hungary (one or both) like to meddle in Rus politics.

As for what is revealed about the 1.05 patch: The crusades thing doesn’t even sound that good on paper. As it stands now the HRE is going to win every crusade and wind up being the only show in town.
    The only thing I really don't like about it is crusades now targeting de jure kingdoms instead of duchies. I feel that could be really overpowered, unless something is done about the balance of Europe vs Middle East. Other than that, contribution scores is something that is really needed if they want to make the system feel at all fun and rewarding. The crusade implementation as it currently stands is kinda silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    The only oddity i've seen from the marriage change is that now Poland or Hungary (one or both) like to meddle in Rus politics.
    Both kings have a Rurikovich mother or grandmother, who is dead, so they have claims on all the Rus' duchies...
    One Rurikovich in Turov has a claim on the kingdom of Poland aswell...

The next DLC pack was officially announced and is something that's, surprisingly, both interesting and nonesential. It's a built in character editor. Want to redesign your dynasty coat of arms? Want to find out what would happen if William of Normandy was actually a woman? Well it's totally possible, as well as completely redesigning the portrait and age of your starting character.
    I thought this was an April Fool's joke until I followed the link and saw that the announcement is too old for that.

Not sure what I think about this one. In CK1 this was possible via some relatively simple modding.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I hope 1.05 will feature more assasinations and plots. As it stands right now, I haven't ever had an assassination attempt on my character. And well, about plots, I mostly just get the 'Kill the crazy woman at your side' plot.

I haven't really noticed the buff on the caliphates. Shia took everything around egypt and it didn't go much further than that. Still the same now. Sunni caliphate is still a minor nation, totally relying at the mercy of the Seljuks.

The only thing which would buff the AI a whole lot would be the ability to make betrothals. They don't do that now. Although then you would get the problem of sometimes getting england in Rus or something.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Betrothals were a player device, because in CK1, you would have to wait till they come of age, then suddenly, they ended up married off randomly without a chance for you to send marriage proposals. It isn't something for the AI, because then everyone will become betrothed to everyone making it impossible for the player who doesn't have the advantages of the computer.

As for the DLC, it is completely optional and it is something players (including myself) have wanted and always had to resort to modding to create. It doesn't harm anyone and if you don't want it, don't buy it! That is what makes this DLC great in my opinion, the fact it is "so on the side", no one has to feel forced into it and can happily go without.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The DLC is fine. The patch 1.05 has some other large changes they have not told us about yet.

The Crusade change is needed to make it more useful but I do worry that the HRE is going to dominate them, as they seem to do now.

They will release more about the changes each Friday until the patch comes out on the 17th of Apr.

The DLC we can take or leave, as has been pointed out. The patch, we are stuck with via Steam.

Mark Twain

I'm disappointed because I was hoping for something more, something players can't easily do for themselves. The CK2 equivalent to a new mission pack, rather than a graphical UI for notepad editing. Or, if that wasn't possible, something grander in scale, something which won't be mostly obsolete as soon as the first generation passes.

Since my review copy was free, I was intending to buy the DLC to return something to Paradox. I'm not going to buy stuff just for the sake of it though; in this case I'll be passing. Maybe they will put the two music pack DLCs up at the same time. That's 'useless' DLC I can talk myself into buying - love the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    The patch, we are stuck with via Steam.
    This is my main steam nightmare these days. There's at least one game I'd rather play at a lower version than the one steam enforces, there have been some where I'd like to disable DLC and can't, and I'm very worried about the forthcoming Civ 5 expansion. If I don't like the new mechanics the entire game will become worthless as it fully integrates with the original.

There was talk about steam hosting beta patch tests for CK2. If that goes ahead it will be possible to download a separate beta version of CK2 ... if I understood some old posts correctly. That means it will be possible to trial the changes, then lock steam into offline mode to prevent the full game from patching if the changes are undesirable.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

I would actually like to adjust something on the crusades. The guys who contributed most get an entire dejure kingdom now. Why shouldn't a independent kingdom be created there, instead of letting a european state expand there(they usually don't really care about the land they have in the holy lands). I would like to see the kingdom of jerusalem in my games, instead of the HRE which is dominating Muslim lands.

I, like you guys, are concerned about the save-game compatibility. I have an AAR running right now(have it on this forum) and I suspect I can say goodbye to it the day the patch comes out.

Dev diary 2 for 1.05 talks about more issues of the upcoming patch. Some good, some bad. Original post link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...April-6th-2012

Highlights:

*De-jure kingdom lines will now be dynamic instead of static. If you hold a duchy for over a hundred years, that duchy will shift its de-jure lines to belong to you by law.

*Creatable titular titles - Characters will now be able to create a titular title if they hold the scripted events that will allow them to. The ability to make a "Kingdom of Venice" is given as an example.

*many more de-jure kingdoms from the start

* Ducal claims now become de-jure claims, including those for kingdoms. Kings and Emperors will now have the ability to declare war on someone due to their occupation of a county that falls within their de-jure kingdom.

Some very good, some very bad in this news. I love the fact that de-jure kingdoms can now be a bit more flexible with the march of time. There's no reason why I shouldn't be rewarded if I put in the blood, sweat and tears of holding onto a conquered duchy for over a hundred years.

I also really like the idea of titular titles now being created. No real reason to not have them in there imho.

As was discussed before, the concept of a de-jure casus belli could be good in some ways but has the potential to send blobbing way out of control. I do not like the sound of it at all. This could be very bad expecially in light of the new dynamic de-jure system. Imagine a world where the HRE is not only powerful, but even if it manages to lose some counties - it could just declare war again (and again and again) to get them back. Really frightening.
    Last edited by Monk; 04-07-2012 at 03:33.

I would like to see France lose some of its desire to take over Iberia and something to limit the number of times a character can get an excommunication on any other individual character.

There is no way just yet to know what impact the patch changes will have. But using experience as I guide you can see the possibilities.

In general I would say that if it isn’t broken then don’t fix it. All the nerfing and buffing has a domino effect.

A CB for kingdoms is both good and bad. They go away or are gained after 100 years but that is a long, long time.

When I bought the game Spain was fairly easy. Now it is darn near impossible. All of the little changes seem to be magnified if you play there.

More difficult marriages and alliances is felt most there. Increased Muslim aggression has a very definite result.

Lots of small changes have had a very negative effect on STARTING in Iberia. It certainly is no disadvantage to interlopers. Though I have seen Muslims taking England and Brittany. Which by the way were later blobed by the HRE.

Mark Twain

Its time for the final dev diary before we get our hands on the new update, and here it is (in case you forgot) http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...pril-13th-2012

Highlights:

*Over 300 completely new events. The examples given include a friendship and rivalry event line(s) as well as event series tied directly into negative traits. There was also a regency event series mentioned.

*A new plot for independent rulers to strip vassals of titles.

*improvements to the Kill plot to make it target characters more logically.

*Improvements to the plotting system that let you discern much more information at a glance, as well increased functionality in the UI

*Causes of death (finally!)

Not a whole lot of surprising stuff here, to be honest most of the final part of the dev diary sounds like stuff that is focused on improving functionality which i wholeheartedly approve. I've been dying to have cause of death included since the first time i played.

I like the idea of plotting to remove titles but it does strike me as a bit gamey. While i certainly welcome its addition it sounds easy to abuse, won't know for sure til I try i guess.
    Last edited by Monk; 04-14-2012 at 12:46.

Those are all very welcome changes.

I like the idea of plotting to remove titles but it does strike me as a bit gamey. While i certainly welcome its addition it sounds easy to abuse, won't know for sure til I try i guess.
    That's strange, unless my memory is going funny, I remembered reading there are going to be 2 new plots. One for the liege and one for vassals. Can't remember exactly what the vassal's one do but it was to counter the other one. But the post doesn't seem to be edited so maybe I was imagining it.

Someone mentioned in another thread you can use your chancellor to fabricate claim against your own vassal, so this new plot for the ruler doesn't look too bad to me. Makes managing your realm a bit easier I guess, if the player wants to use it.

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

Quote Originally Posted by xploring View Post
    Someone mentioned in another thread you can use your chancellor to fabricate claim against your own vassal, so this new plot for the ruler doesn't look too bad to me. Makes managing your realm a bit easier I guess, if the player wants to use it.
    Is that right? Wow i never even considered doing that and yet its a very obvious thing. Interesting. In that case I guess this is the next logical (and much more sensible) step in claim/title management.

I want them to give the chancellor the ability to speed up culture change. I hate you have a 1% revoltchance you can't do anything about. The Rumites changed some greeks to turks in like 25 years, I have to wait 75 years to make them change culture.

Is that right? Wow i never even considered doing that and yet its a very obvious thing. Interesting. In that case I guess this is the next logical (and much more sensible) step in claim/title management.
    I never thought of it until I read it in this thread either, which has some very useful gameplay tips. Some more features/tips here, they are probably obvious for experienced players. The double right-click one is really important though.

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

I like the idea of plotting to remove titles but it does strike me as a bit gamey.
    I concur, but there are occasions (traitors or newly conquered counties), where imo it's silly that your vassals feel threatened or disrespected if you strip defeated enemies of their titles, most of all to appoint your kin! Instead you get mass dissatisfaction XD

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    I want them to give the chancellor the ability to speed up culture change.
    I thought it was related to state diplomacy, also religious conversion of the province might help, in my Hauteville games takes me very little to have at least 2 or 3 settlements "normanized"...

For what ever reason NPCs are much better at this than the Player. I know in a couple of games my vassals convert them years a head of me.

It would be great if they made a Justicair or Prime Minister for your counsel. Someone who could add their values to the whole range and work on converting the population to your culture.

In Spain it seems one may change after 50 to 100 years. That may be like one county in 20 or 30 changes culture. It must be the slowest place to convert.

Mark Twain

Well, I just got comprehensively swindled by the AI.

I started as Connacht, and after finally uniting all of Ireland under my rule I set my sights on England. I'd somehow acquired a claim to the English throne (I have no idea how), and when the combined Anglo-Scottish Kingdom imploded, with several of its duchies simultaneously rebelling, I seized my opportunity and staked my claim. Beset as they were by myself, the French, and their own dukes, I didn't think it too suspicious when I was offered the throne of England at a mere 55% warscore. Unfortunately this turned out to be a bit of a white elephant. The English managed to keep all their territory by declaring it to be part of the Kingdom of Scotland (damned legal loopholes, should have read the fine print); furthermore, to add injury to insult all of their internal strife passed to me and so I found myself at war with 3 different duchies. On the plus side, I now have the legal means to bring the entire United Kingdom behind my banner (the Welsh, who have sizeable holdings in Spain, are closely linked to my dynasty). Should be fun .

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Well, I just got comprehensively swindled by the AI.

I started as Connacht, and after finally uniting all of Ireland under my rule I set my sights on England. I'd somehow acquired a claim to the English throne (I have no idea how), and when the combined Anglo-Scottish Kingdom imploded, with several of its duchies simultaneously rebelling, I seized my opportunity and staked my claim. Beset as they were by myself, the French, and their own dukes, I didn't think it too suspicious when I was offered the throne of England at a mere 55% warscore. Unfortunately this turned out to be a bit of a white elephant. The English managed to keep all their territory by declaring it to be part of the Kingdom of Scotland (damned legal loopholes, should have read the fine print); furthermore, to add injury to insult all of their internal strife passed to me and so I found myself at war with 3 different duchies. On the plus side, I now have the legal means to bring the entire United Kingdom behind my banner (the Welsh, who have sizeable holdings in Spain, are closely linked to my dynasty). Should be fun .
    Love it! Sounds like the AI got crafty on you but you've got the ability to still come out ahead. Good luck in the unification of the Isles!

As for where your claim came from it's quite possible it was handed down through an obscure cousin by way of marriage. If you've been marrying inside the isles then it's not a big surprise that either your character, or one of his family members, ends up with a distant claim on the throne. In my first Irish game I had the fun of fighting a war for the throne of England and ended up installing my brother as the monarch there. We ruled side by side, Ireland and England, for a good twenty years - until he stabbed me in the back.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Here's a shot of my current game -

1152 and the Rus dynasty is united. I started as the Duke of Rostov, which seems to be the way to go if you want to unite the Rus duchies quickl and effeciently. Not only are you the strongest of the northern duchies, but your brother in Ryazan will back essentially any war you want him to. Combined you two are the stongest force within the Rurikovich dynasty.

Poland has emerged as a serious contender but that won't last. I've invited a number of claimaints to their titles to my court and plan to press their claims one by one. The child monarch of Poland is in such a bad state, fighting both me and Hungary, that I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up fracturing after I beat his armies into dust.

The Cumans are my equal in both land and martial strength, I've been wanting to take them on for years now but I don't think either one of us would come out looking good, and the longer I delay a war against the Cumans the more I feel like it would be a waste of time. The mongols are coming in around 70 years and I'm simply not sure I can stop them. I have a feeling i'll not only be responsible for my dynasty's rapid rise to power, but also its fall from grace.

Double post to remind you guys that tomorrow is the content patch. 1.04 had a smooth transition save-game wise, but with all the new events and features coming our way 1.05 might not be so lucky.

If you have a particularly fun game going (and are on steam) then do yourself a favor and switch steam to offline mode tonight, in all likelihood you won't get the chance to tomorrow before you are forcibly updated with the new version. Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to finishing up your saves.

Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast