Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    I keep having problems that I don’t expect.

I make a new title and it tells me I lose claim to my original holdings.

I marry an heir to my lands to a Countess only to find later that the kids took her name and I have no heir. (got lucky twice, I killed her and my eldest son and got the land and my youngest child is heir. There were steep odds against me too.)
    First thing you'd want to do is check the type of marriage you got into. If it was matrilineal that means the children take her dynasty and not the male's.

I really don’t understand why my lands could be lost or what to do about it.
    Heirs and succession is really odd in this game and can catch you off guard. You'll want to establish the right succession laws from the very start of your game. Your lands can be lost when by the laws of succession, you lack a capable heir to take over after your current ruler dies. You can see the line of succession for everything (even down to individual cities and counties) by mousing over the coat of arms for that particular holding. Lands of vassals can also be lost to lords outside your realm, so you really need to be ontop of things.

As to what can be done about it? Honestly, if it comes to the point that you get the pop up saying you're about to lose something, chances are its too late to fix it. Assassins can be good for clearing out unwanted lines of succession but aren't viable unless your ruler has high state intrigue. The best way to ensure that your lands stay with you, is to micromanage your heir. Always try to marry your family up in the world. If you're a count, marry a duchess, if your a duke, marry a princess, ect. Always get marriages that propogate your dynasty, not the other guys'. This isnt always possible but its something you should strive for.

One of my favorite tactics after securing a new Duchy is to use the intrigue option to invite a noble to my court. This will give you a new male courtier to use as a pawn. Matrilineal marriages are usually hard to establish, since those with power want to keep their dynasty in control, but a lowly courtier doesn't care, he just wants to move up in the world. So i marry my daughter to him, with the understanding any children will be apart of my dynasty. The very next day, i award the lucky guy his very own duchy. In 20-30 years, my dynasty will be ruling after him. This could create problems down the road (potential pretenders to the throne) but its a good way to spread your bloodlines through the kingdom.

I've also noticed that dukes/counts/barons will institute their own laws of succession below yours. The duchy of Valencia, for example, became the republic of valencia due to the duke instituting open elections for his succession. This caused a huge uproar and led him to declaring independance/starting a civil war with me because suddenly, his government and my government were not working happily together. Other than causing strife, this can have the cause of titles passing outside your realm due to someone having a succession law that says that old guy living under a rock in Germany has more rights to the duchy than you do. To fix that, you'll want to raise crown authority (if you are a king) high enough to the point where titles cannot pass from your borders. If you aren't a king, you have to play the dynasty game and hope for the best.

edit: wow that turned way longer than I thought...

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

The marriage went without warning that it was a Matrilineal marriage. I can live with that. It was something that won’t be repeated.

On the other hand, creating a new title and taking it seems to have cut me out of the first. I don’t understand why.

If need be I will see if I can give away that second title, though I don’t know that having a vassal of equal rank is such a good plan.

My next move will be to get my new County of Cathness holding independent and then as a vassalage to me, and that will be complex, no doubt.

I took a page from you and took Munster. Funny enough, dad was Holey Roman Emperor, via mum of course. And for some reason my younger brother is now in line for that title, but not me.

I was heir to her Duchy but who knows now.

One large bone I have to pick with the game though is that there should be 5 kingdoms and no Duchies in Ireland. That was part of the problem with uniting them.

Still, I don’t understand why I can’t hold Munster and Leinster at the same time.

If you managed to get the island you must have run into the same problem?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The marriage went without warning that it was a Matrilineal marriage. I can live with that. It was something that won’t be repeated.

On the other hand, creating a new title and taking it seems to have cut me out of the first. I don’t understand why.

If need be I will see if I can give away that second title, though I don’t know that having a vassal of equal rank is such a good plan.
    You cannot have a vassal of equal rank, period. A duke is lawfully equal to a duke and, therefore, will not be burdoned to take orders from one. Just like a King would not take orders from a king, or a count take orders from a count. In order to hand out duchies you have to establish yourself as a king, in order to hand out counties, you must be a duke and ect.

You must be one level higher on the social ladder than the title you wish to grant. If you give someone a title that is equal to your own they will become independent.

My next move will be to get my new County of Cathness holding independent and then as a vassalage to me, and that will be complex, no doubt.

I took a page from you and took Munster. Funny enough, dad was Holey Roman Emperor, via mum of course. And for some reason my younger brother is now in line for that title, but not me.
    Sounds like you're running under gravelkind succession. That means all the titles are split up between the children, with the eldest getting 30% of them, and afterward the other siblings get an even share. Your claim to the throne was likely given away to a brother while you got something else. You should change that asap to primo, so that your oldest son inherits everything. Stay away from Seniority unless you want your 80 year old uncle getting the crown over your 5 star 16 year old son.

edit: it should also be noted that getting someone elected emperor has a funny effect on title inheritance. In my honest opinion I think its a little buggy, but i havent seen its effects enough to say that with confidence. But I've heard stories of people having claims to 4-5 duchies, getting elected emperor, and then losing those claims once their emperor dies.

One large bone I have to pick with the game though is that there should be 5 kingdoms and no Duchies in Ireland. That was part of the problem with uniting them.

Still, I don’t understand why I can’t hold Munster and Leinster at the same time.

If you managed to get the island you must have run into the same problem?
    You can, but people don't like it, to put it simply. You'll have to deal with unhappy nobles who see you hoarding all the titles until you unite the island as a kingdom. When i played Irish the very first thing I did was work to change the succession laws, then tried to build ducal claims on my neighbors with my chancellor. All you'll need to do is claim a single county from them, then you can press further claims that you'll get when you hold half a de juro duchy.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-26-2012 at 23:27.

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    edit: it should also be noted that getting someone elected emperor has a funny effect on title inheritance. In my honest opinion I think its a little buggy, but i havent seen its effects enough to say that with confidence. But I've heard stories of people having claims to 4-5 duchies, getting elected emperor, and then losing those claims once their emperor dies.
    I was playing as the emperor of the HRE with Gavelkind inheritance laws(on the Kingdom level) and when my 2nd-gen ruler died some of the titles were passed around to his kids.(Had the 3rd gen-heir Kill his other brothers for their titles...received "kinslayer" from it and had some fun times with that)

But it seemed to act buggy after that. When my 3rd-gen guy died, it seemed to act kinda like Primogeniture and only the oldest son received everything. While it saved the lives of (most) of his siblings, it was acting buggy with how the bohemian gavelkind law was working and I had to abandoned it.
    Last edited by White_eyes:D; 02-27-2012 at 04:26.

So there's been some wondering about how strong the Byzantines are in this game, and empires in general for that matter. A lot of people on the CK forums are of the belief its impossible for empires to die in the current balance, well...

I had to post this, ladies and gentlemen I give you the death of the Byzantine blob:

Through a combination of internal pressure and cultural tension the Byzantine empire has imploded into a colorful sea of successor states, each one vying with the other for the right to call themselves the heir to the Roman legacy. I have double checked by selecting the Byzantines and looking at their stats. Down to having only 3 vassals and a pitiful 1000 men out of a possible 6000 strong army, the emperor is in DIRE straights. Constantinople is on the verge of falling to siege.

This has COMPLETELY changed the dynamic of the asia minor political situation. I am almost wishing I picked a nation in that neck of the woods just so I could be there to take advantage. Alas, my own kingdom needs my attentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Wow that looks really good. I heard they used the same engine in Sengoku, which is just a beautiful game compared to most titles of the genre. Payday soon! You bet this is on the to-buy list.
    It really is. I said it before but I think it's worth saying: this game is in my contention for best paradox/grand strategy of all time. Its just that good. I'm really wondering what I missed by not playing the first game and cannot wait for more patches to come for CKII.

I also realize the irony in me posting (initially) to collect other users thoughts, and then ending up the biggest contributor to this thread. I'll try not to post here as much but I did want to offer a few tips to people who have the game but are struggling a bit. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I'm approaching the 200 year mark in my castille game, so that's something at least!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1. Make sure your council is always hard at work. What they do is really up to you but there's two things you ALWAYS want to be doing. First, tell your spymaster to uncover plots in your capital. You have a base chance to always discover plots whether your spymaster is actively counter spying or not, but doing this boosts that chance significantly. If you discover a plot in its infancy and the character who is the mastermind likes you enough, you have a chance to resolve the situation peacefully. If you dont discover it in time it usually leads to a civil war.

Secondly, always, ALWAYS tell your court chaplain to build relations in Rome. Excommunication is the single most powerful tool you can use against your fellow catholics, but you cannot get excommunicated if the Pope likes you. Avoiding getting excommed should be near the top of your priority list

2. Wars are the best way to lose useful characters - never think that this game is like EU3 where characters hardly ever die when in battle. Sieges are bloody, and if you attack a province dealing with an outbreak of a disease it can quickly turn into an absolute mess. This is a bit gamey, but in my opinion you should always tell your king to stay at home (unless you're caught up in roleplaying and want to be the warrior king on the front lines)

Raise your crown authority to anything above Low, that way you can manually assign the leaders of your armies. Give command of the army to people who are either low on the totem pole (courtiers, barons, ect) or Dukes who hate you. You shouldn't have any shortage of people who have at least decent martial stats, so don't worry about that. What you cannot risk is losing your supporters even if you're fighting for your life against a foreign invader. There's no point in winning a war if you lose your most trusted advisers - this is how civil wars start!

3. Always keep an eye on who your vassals are allied with in the allies tab. The natural reaction when seeing your vassal is allied to a lot of your other vassals might be to think nothing of it. Actually, this is the worst possible situation you can ever be in. A vassal who has built a strong web of inner-realm alliances is a far bigger threat than any blob on the map. If he rebels, he's going to bring all those allies against you (unless they like you more).

Inner realm politics is like a constant cold war. You want to limit the personal power of your vassals while maintaining a strong base from which to fight. To that end you should always keep a dimense size of at least 50% your limit if not more. Even if everyone in your realm likes you, all it takes is a bad succession to find yourself fighting for your son's survival against men who his father thought as his best friends. Opinions are fickle, a strong personal army last forever.

It's also a VERY bad idea to give any Duke more than one duchy. From time to time they will get the "desires Duchy X" ambition for themselves, which serves as a negative to their opinion to you. My first natural inclination was to just give them what they wanted, and while this will satisfy them for about a decade, its not long before they start getting too big for their boots and they try to take on the crown for independence. Remember, its all about balance.

4. Keep an eye on the culture of the tutors your children get sent to. Children who grow up with an Irish duke, for example, will take on his culture. Lets say you're playing as France and your wife is Irish so you let her tutor them. Sounds good right? Unfortunately, your children will take on her culture and when they take over your realm, your vassals will hate them because they view them as a foreigner. Always, always send your children to nobles who have the correct culture to be tutored.

On that same note: when choosing a tutor for a child think about what you want your child to become. The card furthest left in a characters traits will tell you what kind of person that character is. You'll see things like "brilliant strategist" "midas touched" ect. Personally, I like to send heirs to get tutored by those with high bonuses to Stewardship and Diplomacy, this will give you a boost to income and relations respectively. I tend to send the second or third sons to get better martial training as I like them leading my armies. With any luck they will die in glorious battle and not even think about contesting the throne when their brother takes over

5. When you take over a new province sometimes all of the vassals who used to serve there get thrown out. Unless you want to control every single holding in a province (making your demesne unmanagably large) you'll need to assign new vassals to those holdings. Dont worry, the game actually rewards you for this since you get more income from cities if a mayor rules them than if a feudal lord (you) does. To create new vassals, bring up the province menu and right click on one of the buildings there. If you can make a new vassal, the "create new vassal" button will not be greyed out.

6. Finally, dont forget to check the "include all lower titles" checkbox when you're handing out landed titles. This will ensure that when you give out a county, all the vassals of that county will go with it. If I want my brother to control county X, then naturally, i want him to be the lord of all the vassals there. If i forget to click that, then while he'll have the title of "count of X", i'll still control most of the vassals who live there. In short this simply allows more power to the people who hold titles in your lands. Some people dont do this and actually limit the power of those beneath them.

Honestly i've seen good arguments on both sides, but I tend toward stronger servants. It makes management less of a headache.

I've learned all of these lessons the hard way. Here's hoping you guys don't have to suffer like I did.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-28-2012 at 16:02.

Members thankful for this post (2):

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Well this is what that pause in the GoT forum game did to us :D

Thank you Monk (and lots of other people) for the heads up, got the game few days ago and forged an Hauteville empire from Mauretania to the Nile ^^
    Having some lag lately though and I'm trying to sort that out :S

It's a very enjoyable game I must say!

BTW about the dukes, wait to see all your vassals fighting eachother for claims lol
    They are still loyal at least...
    Duchies are fine to grant on different families, but keep crowns for yourself, gave one to my son and my possessions split, ungrateful youth!

Blog Entries

Tell me about it, playing as england, try to conquer Wales and Ireland before one of them gets it in thier head to become king, its a real pain having the duke of glamorgan repeatedly plotting to take one of my crowns.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos
    BTW about the dukes, wait to see all your vassals fighting eachother for claims lol
    They are still loyal at least...
    Yeah, it can be a real annoyance! When i played the demo I kept wondering why in the world my vassals kept fighting, and why I wasn't getting notifications if they were at war. Come to find out its all in how your realm's laws are set up. I always try to make a beeline up the crown authority tree for that reason. If you push it high enough your vassals will no longer be allowed to fight each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Tell me about it, playing as england, try to conquer Wales and Ireland before one of them gets it in thier head to become king, its a real pain having the duke of glamorgan repeatedly plotting to take one of my crowns.
    I think that is a weakness of the law and title system in general. Currently there's no way to actually unify de juro kingdoms, you have to hold them separately. It would be nice to be able to do so or have the ability to form an empire of your own.

If you push it high enough your vassals will no longer be allowed to fight each other.
    Done that and they rose in rebellion to lower it :P
    But that's when my king got "the Great", needless to say lots of dukes ended in the dungeons ^^

I agree about unifying crowns or at least being able to become emperor...

Blog Entries

There's a mod for making empires, didnt help much, and when I gave one of my vassals the kingdom of england he proceeded to steamroll over Scotland, Wales and Denmark and became so powerful the only thing keeping him from rebelling was the long reign modifier. Caused me to quit right there when it turned out I only had one vassal left, though on a whim I cheated myself some money and I tried to assassinate the kingdom back into my hands, didnt work, all I did was depopulate the english nobility by 50 kings.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

all I did was depopulate the english nobility by 50 kings.
    lol! XD

Biggest challenges for me in my first campaign were fighting the Great Company hired by the Pope in a claim war for a barony (very tough commander!) and an holy war with the egyptian Caliph, who assembled 12k men, all I had at that time were 3k (got attacked after a war in Kabylia) and I managed to lure them in deserts where they lost 60% of men, then I hired the Hospitallers and was a victory march :P

didnt work, all I did was depopulate the english nobility by 50 kings.
    Good lord man, that's not regicide that's genocide. o_o

Biggest challenges for me in my first campaign were fighting the Great Company hired by the Pope in a claim war for a barony (very tough commander!) and an holy war with the egyptian Caliph, who assembled 12k men, all I had at that time were 3k (got attacked after a war in Kabylia) and I managed to lure them in deserts where they lost 60% of men, then I hired the Hospitallers and was a victory march :P
    I hear if you give the holy orders titles in your kingdom it significantly reduces their upkeep for offensive wars. I haven't tried it myself, though I was seriously tempted after the Knights Templar saved my behind with a charge at the 11th hour in a war for Granada.

The change of power is the biggest hurtle . I get the idea that if the son is on good terms with dad when he goes, it all goes smooth. If son hates dad it will all go south.

I have to work a real mess out. My first guy married a princess who became a ruling duchess and the empires and commenced to live for ever. Now a bunch of Irishmen are heirs to the HRE.

That kingdom is not going to mesh well with the other. Worse yet, son hates dad which is going to make for a bumpy ride and while dad is known as the wise son will not have that going for him.

It could be a short lived dynasty at this rate.

Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

!!!!!

They made it? And it's out. WHERE HAVE I BEEN!
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Had to change the culture of my line of succession through some intrigue. Accidentally got the line converted to English culture by constantly marrying girls of the de Normandie dynasty, when i found that my current heir hadn't taken the culture of his castilian tutor (even though my other children had, for the most part) decided he needed to go.

Sent him on a fool's crusade to take Jerusalem, only problem is he didn't have the good sense to die and instead became a huge hero by winning nearly every battle he was in. Occupied 4 provinces despite me only giving him 5k men to crusade with and just would not die, no matter how many sieges I threw him up against. He won great prestige for the kingdom though, and no doubt recieved a hero's welcome home. That is until he got a knife in the back later that night. Oh sure.. everyone suspects me, but no one can prove a thing.

The line of succession is Castilian once again, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    !!!!!

They made it? And it's out. WHERE HAVE I BEEN!
    Indeed. That's a good question.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-29-2012 at 15:05.

Blog Entries

Sent him on a fool's crusade to take Jerusalem, only problem is he didn't have the good sense to die and instead became a huge hero by winning nearly every battle he was in. Occupied 4 provinces despite me only giving him 5k men to crusade with and just would not die, no matter how many sieges I threw him up against. He won great prestige for the kingdom though, and no doubt recieved a hero's welcome home. That is until he got a knife in the back later that night. Oh sure.. everyone suspects me, but no one can prove a thing.
    Wow, personaly for such a good general I think I would risk rebellion.

Wow, personaly for such a good general I think I would risk rebellion.
    The craziest thing: He was only like martial 4 when i first sent him out, by the time he came back he'd wracked up so many +martial traits he was downright scary. I was seriously tempted to do just that in all honesty as I'm sure he would have made a good King.

Blog Entries

I suspect a king like that could take on all his vassals at once, what were you thinking?

I suspect a king like that could take on all his vassals at once, what were you thinking?
    Thinking I don't want it all to fly apart so soon after completing the Reconquista. France and I have been in a starring match for the last 15 years and the political situation is getting unstable. Probably going to be war soon and I dont want to give my vassals a reason to be opportunistic when the casualties start to mount.

But under different circumstances you're absolutely right, that guy would have made for a beast. I probably could have conquered all of North Africa and taken on the Shiaa Caliphate with a king that good.

Poor guy - he could have been the greatest King to grace the throne of Castile, to be done away with due to his culture and the threat of internal rebellion while a potential enemy stands at our door. Wasn't even his fault really - too bad.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-29-2012 at 16:33.

I tried being a vassal this time (picked Bohemia), boy you are in for some maltreatment XD

Enemies in the Emperor's court fabricate documents and you end up in the dungeons; seniority succession gives you the worst possible heirs, most of all you can hardly manage peaceful years of reign, long enough to change that bloody law XD

At least you really don't have to worry about foreign enemies, but only your own possession :P

In the end I dropped it, got around stabilizing the duchy by the 3rd (or 4th can't remember) heir, but my demesnes were in such a bad shape, I didn't care to sat down for years and watch them recover...
    I'm playing as Harald Hardrada, he is a beast! I got the Lion, Great and Conqueror titles in the same war lol!
    Last edited by Arjos; 02-29-2012 at 20:31.

Well, there are bugs in the game.

In mine I am still waiting for someone to die before the maelstrom begins. But when I was looking around for good people to invite to court, I noticed England’s southern end is all taken over by someone, so I had a look at who did it.

It turns out that some Arab Kingdom from the southern map edge made an amphibious assault. They seem to have taken everything except Cornwall all the way up to the Welch Border.

I have to assume it is a Baronial War, as York and North Umbria are not at war.

With no naval warfare islands are tough to keep a handle on.

Mark Twain

Blog Entries

I pre-ordered it, and I'm so glad I did. My first game as the House D'Hauteville was great fun - Robert I of Apulia was a complete badass, who managed to unite the whole of Southern Italy, found the Kingdom of Sicily, and make tentative inroads into capturing the island of Sicily itself before dying at the age of 82. My first son, Bohemond, was a bastard; Robert was an incapable hunchback who died a year before his father; King Guy was king for a mere year before being slain, childless, in battle against the Saracens; and the lustful King Rainulf, my best son, had married the lustful Countess of Passau - in what was apparently a matrilineal marriage. By the time I realised my mistake, Rainulf and Passau had pumped out five sons and four daughters at the age of 31/32, all of some German dynasty. Shortly after, the rule of the House D'Hauteville came to an end in Sicily, despite there being absolutely tons of members of the dynasty hanging around in the Kingdom.

I'm on my second game now, as Duke Ugo d'Este II of Lombardia. Had an excellent game sofar - captured Brescia, lost a province in the Alps to a vassal's stupid marriage, and inherited the Duchy of Apulia from Ugo's mum. Currently, the Holy Roman Empire is engulfed in a ferocious civil war featuring French intervention, who are presumably still annoyed that the HRE somehow got the whole of the Duchy of Aquitaine. Had a particularly awesome war against Bavaria - straight after capturing Brescia from the massive Duchy of Toscana/Capua, Bavaria declared war on me for it, in alliance with Capua. Thanks to the geography of the Alps and an attack by Muslims on the Capuan heartland, I was able to pick off their armies one by one, and render their massive numerical advantage useless. My third daughter came of age, and I married her to the 19 year old King of Croatia - unfortunately, I could not then call him into the war to help me as he was busy fighting for the Hungarian throne. Happily, he dropped dead very soon after, and I married her again to the second son of the brother of the King of Bohemia. Apparently, this warranted an alliance, and Bohemian forces swept into Bavaria like a tide - Czechmate. I fought the Bavarian-Capuan alliance to 100% warscore, and forced them to abandon their claim to Brescia.

It also doesn't feel like it needs many patches, unlike any other Paradox game I've played. Good work guys, this is definitely the best release in years.
    Last edited by Subotan; 03-01-2012 at 11:21.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Well, there are bugs in the game.

In mine I am still waiting for someone to die before the maelstrom begins. But when I was looking around for good people to invite to court, I noticed England’s southern end is all taken over by someone, so I had a look at who did it.

It turns out that some Arab Kingdom from the southern map edge made an amphibious assault. They seem to have taken everything except Cornwall all the way up to the Welch Border.

I have to assume it is a Baronial War, as York and North Umbria are not at war.

With no naval warfare islands are tough to keep a handle on.
    If you played CK I then that ain't a bug, that's standard practice.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Blog Entries

CKI was really, really buggy. The current release of DV, the expansion, is still a public beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    I'm on my second game now, as Duke Ugo d'Este II of Lombardia. Had an excellent game sofar - captured Brescia, lost a province in the Alps to a vassal's stupid marriage, and inherited the Duchy of Apulia from Ugo's mum. Currently, the Holy Roman Empire is engulfed in a ferocious civil war featuring French intervention, who are presumably still annoyed that the HRE somehow got the whole of the Duchy of Aquitaine. Had a particularly awesome war against Bavaria - straight after capturing Brescia from the massive Duchy of Toscana/Capua, Bavaria declared war on me for it, in alliance with Capua. Thanks to the geography of the Alps and an attack by Muslims on the Capuan heartland, I was able to pick off their armies one by one, and render their massive numerical advantage useless. My third daughter came of age, and I married her to the 19 year old King of Croatia - unfortunately, I could not then call him into the war to help me as he was busy fighting for the Hungarian throne. Happily, he dropped dead very soon after, and I married her again to the second son of the brother of the King of Bohemia. Apparently, this warranted an alliance, and Bohemian forces swept into Bavaria like a tide - Czechmate. I fought the Bavarian-Capuan alliance to 100% warscore, and forced them to abandon their claim to Brescia.
    Very nicely done there Subotan

In my experience the HRE are always aggressively marrying among the french nobles trying to get claims, so seeing duchies flip every now and again isnt a big surprise. A bigger surprise would be France managing to stay together. With the latent stability of the HRE France can feel the pressure at times. Sometimes they keep it together and become the BBB we all fear, and sometimes they don't and end up fighting for their starting counties all game.

CK1 had a lot of issues. At launch it was barely half a game. Paradox had to scramble to throw something together after a deal with another studio fell through, IIRC the whole game was made in a matter of months. Patches and the expansion helped, yet the game always had holes in its fabric and plenty of bugs. CKII is the game I thought I was getting all those years ago when I preordered CK1, and a good helping more. It only needs more plots and events adding, a few tweaks here and there.

I saw a comment on the official forum about how losing is far more enjoyable than winning. They're right. CKII provides some excellent loss stories, situations where it all goes horribly wrong in a natural and entertaining way. By natural, I mean that it doesn't feel as though the game it out to get you.

Due to various things I haven't had nearly as much time to play as I'd like. CKII is the kind of game which can eat up hours like children eat sweets. One minute it's 4 in the afternoon and I have half an hour before I need to think about cooking, the next it's 8PM and I'm wondering why I'm hungry.

Have I mentioned how much I love the title screen music? I love the title screen music! Each time I start the game I have to sit and listen.

How are people finding the loading times? I'm running it on a freshly defragged drive and it seems to take an age to load, longer than Victoria II AHD despite being considerably smaller on disc.

My second article is out. It's mostly aimed at new players, and explains the basics of the feudal system and how it works in the game. Basics, not froggy's guide to CKII. I don't know if there are any new players here who do not have some knowledge of the historical feudal system, so maybe someone will find it useful or maybe not.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    CK1 had a lot of issues. At launch it was barely half a game. Paradox had to scramble to throw something together after a deal with another studio fell through, IIRC the whole game was made in a matter of months. Patches and the expansion helped, yet the game always had holes in its fabric and plenty of bugs. CKII is the game I thought I was getting all those years ago when I preordered CK1, and a good helping more. It only needs more plots and events adding, a few tweaks here and there.

I saw a comment on the official forum about how losing is far more enjoyable than winning. They're right. CKII provides some excellent loss stories, situations where it all goes horribly wrong in a natural and entertaining way. By natural, I mean that it doesn't feel as though the game it out to get you.

Due to various things I haven't had nearly as much time to play as I'd like. CKII is the kind of game which can eat up hours like children eat sweets. One minute it's 4 in the afternoon and I have half an hour before I need to think about cooking, the next it's 8PM and I'm wondering why I'm hungry.

Have I mentioned how much I love the title screen music? I love the title screen music! Each time I start the game I have to sit and listen.

How are people finding the loading times? I'm running it on a freshly defragged drive and it seems to take an age to load, longer than Victoria II AHD despite being considerably smaller on disc.

My second article is out. It's mostly aimed at new players, and explains the basics of the feudal system and how it works in the game. Basics, not froggy's guide to CKII. I don't know if there are any new players here who do not have some knowledge of the historical feudal system, so maybe someone will find it useful or maybe not.

Initial load time (first boot up) takes around 45 seconds to 2 min. In game loads (loading saves) are almost instant. I have 8gb of RAM and a well cared for HD though so take that as you will
    Last edited by Monk; 03-02-2012 at 00:01.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

You cannot have a vassal of equal rank, period. A duke is lawfully equal to a duke and, therefore, will not be burdoned to take orders from one. Just like a King would not take orders from a king, or a count take orders from a count. In order to hand out duchies you have to establish yourself as a king, in order to hand out counties, you must be a duke and ect.

You must be one level higher on the social ladder than the title you wish to grant. If you give someone a title that is equal to your own they will become independent.

Sounds like you're running under gravelkind succession. That means all the titles are split up between the children, with the eldest getting 30% of them, and afterward the other siblings get an even share. Your claim to the throne was likely given away to a brother while you got something else. You should change that asap to primo, so that your oldest son inherits everything. Stay away from Seniority unless you want your 80 year old uncle getting the crown over your 5 star 16 year old son.

You can, but people don't like it, to put it simply. You'll have to deal with unhappy nobles who see you hoarding all the titles until you unite the island as a kingdom. When i played Irish the very first thing I did was work to change the succession laws, then tried to build ducal claims on my neighbors with my chancellor. All you'll need to do is claim a single county from them, then you can press further claims that you'll get when you hold half a de juro duchy.
    i united ireland in 50 years (3 generations), 50 years later now and i am king of france and ireland XD

it is not too hard to be honest. just take one of the dukes and you should be fine. ursurp all the counts and then you will be able to create the title of king. from there just offer vassalisation to what is left over. they will readily accept, atleast in my case :P

the game is awesome imo but i agree with frogg that it needs more or more complex ambitions and plots. most of the time i can only choose to kill my wife as an ambition and i havent really had any particularly complex or interesting plots. thats the only thing sofar which really dissapointed me. as well as the absence of a quickload button :S now i have to resign and then load from the single player menu again. and every 5 times the game will freeze, tho i am quite sure that is a problem of steam... (i hate steam).
    Last edited by The Stranger; 03-02-2012 at 00:39.

We do not sow.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

So there's been some wondering about how strong the Byzantines are in this game, and empires in general for that matter. A lot of people on the CK forums are of the belief its impossible for empires to die in the current balance, well...

I had to post this, ladies and gentlemen I give you the death of the Byzantine blob:

Through a combination of internal pressure and cultural tension the Byzantine empire has imploded into a colorful sea of successor states, each one vying with the other for the right to call themselves the heir to the Roman legacy. I have double checked by selecting the Byzantines and looking at their stats. Down to having only 3 vassals and a pitiful 1000 men out of a possible 6000 strong army, the emperor is in DIRE straights. Constantinople is on the verge of falling to siege.

This has COMPLETELY changed the dynamic of the asia minor political situation. I am almost wishing I picked a nation in that neck of the woods just so I could be there to take advantage. Alas, my own kingdom needs my attentions.
    funny this is the complete opposite of my game. im now in 1170 and i started in 1066. the byzantines are the most powerful nation in the world having complete control of the balkans, minor asia up to the caucasus and the lower part of the boot of italy.

We do not sow.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast