Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

An Irish minor is a good start. That was my first successful game. Ended up taking over all of Ireland and a part of Scotland over 100 years. Then patch 1.06 came out.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Quick question. Do characters ever give up an ambition? My character's wife wants to be spymaster, but is terrible at intrigue.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

I dont think so. At least I havent seen it happen. Maybe it wears off with age.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Here's hoping.

Update: I gained a claim on a small Welsh Duchy, pressed it, and won! But, it turns out it was just to put my daughter in law in charge there, and she now has a higher rank than me. Too bad it wasn't my heir's spouse. Still, a nice lesson in the game's warfare and diplomacy. Also rid me of some of my spare family members as they joined the new court.

Also, it's tough to find good marriage partners. Minus 40 prestige to marry my son to a courtier and no other women around.
    Last edited by Zim; 07-11-2012 at 05:55.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Quick question. Do characters ever give up an ambition? My character's wife wants to be spymaster, but is terrible at intrigue.
    All characters can cancel their ambitions to gain new ones as time goes on, but the AI is pretty stubborn. Unless your wife decides she wants to kill someone and starts to plot against them it's likely she will keep her current ambition. There's no penalty for denying a character their ambition unless they confront you about it via events, which doesn't happen often with spouses.

Also, it's tough to find good marriage partners. Minus 40 prestige to marry my son to a courtier and no other women around.
    Learn to love betrothals. They were implemented to give players a bit of a jump on the AI. The AI will find good matches for all its important characters within a few weeks of them hitting 16, but are coded to specifically not use betrothals. Keep an eye on the up and coming children of the world and snag them for a betrothal before they hit 16.

Still, sometimes you have to marry a nobody to get a decent spouse with stats. The prestige hit is only bad while you stay on the count tier. If you can move up to duke it will barely affect you.

Ok. I'lll keep an eye on her and any events. It may be a moot point soon as the Earl (of Desmond) isn't getting any younger. I'll be switching to his son soon.

Won my first piece of land from Munster. Go allies plus mercs! Funny, Munster's ruler is still a Duke and I'm still an Earl despite having twice the land. Apparently I can usurp the title for the Republic of Munster, I just need some more money first...

Edit: And...I'm a Duke!
    Last edited by Zim; 07-11-2012 at 07:07.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Just so you know, there's a new CKII wiki here
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Alright, I bumbled my way along about 100 years over the last day. Lots of ups and downs, the latter of which were mostly my own doing. Revolts, bankruptcy, worries about a shortage of heirs and, most recently a war between my character and and his only heir, a nephew with delusions of Grandeur and a petty dukedom.

Now the Kingdom of Ireland and succession are both secure and I'm not sure what to do. I expanded a very little bit into Wales but I'm not sure if I want to continue. May just focus on trying to get my family members' abysmal stats up.

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Alright, I bumbled my way along about 100 years over the last day. Lots of ups and downs, the latter of which were mostly my own doing. Revolts, bankruptcy, worries about a shortage of heirs and, most recently a war between my character and and his only heir, a nephew with delusions of Grandeur and a petty dukedom.

Now the Kingdom of Ireland and succession are both secure and I'm not sure what to do. I expanded a very little bit into Wales but I'm not sure if I want to continue. May just focus on trying to get my family members' abysmal stats up.
    Unify the Celts!
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Well, I do have a number of claims on Scottish Duchies. I'll need to save some money for a merc army or two to put the odds in my favor.

Conveniently Brittany is still independent of France so there's another eventual target.

Alternatively, England is divided and I believe I have a claim on Northumberland. Might be interesting to go that way.

At any rate, short term I'll clean house and keep at Wales as fast as I can get claims. That should give me the boost I need for future conquests while still allowing a breather to improve at managing my vassals and family.

Mini Update: Played a short (1 hour or so) run earlier this evening and pressed the claim of one of my vassals to the Isle of Man. On the home front the Duchess of Ulster and Duke of Connacht married and between them hold a good chunk of my territory between them. I'll have to keep an eye on them, although I do have very high relations with the Duke.
    Last edited by Zim; 07-12-2012 at 12:57.

Wait for their next succession. New kings in the british isles almost always have succession crises.

Mini Update: Played a short (1 hour or so) run earlier this evening and pressed the claim of one of my vassals to the Isle of Man. On the home front the Duchess of Ulster and Duke of Connacht married and between them hold a good chunk of my territory between them. I'll have to keep an eye on them, although I do have very high relations with the Duke.
    Kill the duke and marry the widow

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Wait for their next succession. New kings in the british isles almost always have succession crises.
    Ha. It does seem true this game. England has been a mess, depending on which of their duchies is gunning for independence. I'll have to consider it. I must admit there's a part of me that feels slightly leery of conquering too much because I'm afraid at some point it won't feel like I'm playing Ireland anymore. On the other hand if I want to be anything more than a regional player I'll need to. Decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Kill the duke and marry the widow
    Ha!. Too late unfortunately. I was wrong. That duke hated me and rebelled when I played a couple hours just now. I beat him, imprisoned him and eventually let him go in my infinite mercy. Then his wife declares was on me. :doh: Since my cruel then King passed and left his Kingdom to his wishywashy son I merely stripped her of her title. Apparently another vassal had her killed off, though, as she died under suspicious circumstances a year or so later.

Took another Welsh province, and have a claim on a third. I'm briefly helping England in a civil war, although we may butt heads soon as they have some Welsh provinces I'll be wanting. Meanwhile two of my counts/dukes are fighting it out over Ulster for some reason.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Ok, CK2 players, advise me.

CK2 is currently on sale on Steam (part of the summer sale). CK2 itself can be had for $10 USD, and there is an additional pack for $30 USD that includes the following: Crusader Kings II, Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields, Crusader Kings II: Mongol Faces, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith, Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer, Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land.

I'm interested in CK2, but currently occupied with other games and any purchase would be for playing later... and I might theoretically never get around to it. I'm fine with spending $10 and possibly never playing the game, but $30 is a lot more of a waste. Is that $30 pack good and worth the extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Ok, CK2 players, advise me.

CK2 is currently on sale on Steam (part of the summer sale). CK2 itself can be had for $10 USD, and there is an additional pack for $30 USD that includes the following: Crusader Kings II, Crusader Kings II: Dynasty Shields, Crusader Kings II: Mongol Faces, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Albion, Crusader Kings II: Songs of Faith, Crusader Kings II: Ruler Designer, Crusader Kings II: Songs of the Holy Land.

I'm interested in CK2, but currently occupied with other games and any purchase would be for playing later... and I might theoretically never get around to it. I'm fine with spending $10 and possibly never playing the game, but $30 is a lot more of a waste. Is that $30 pack good and worth the extra money?
    All the DLC is completely optional and, aside from Sword of Islam, is purely cosmetic and only adds small flair to the game. Most of the songs only play at certain points in the game and under different small circumstances. You will never hear "Songs of Albion" if you're not a character in the British Isles, for instance. Don't spend more than you have to.

Getting the base game for $10 is a steal though. Highly, highly recommended.

I think its mostly a waste.
    Its mostly music and faces DLC.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Awesome, thanks for the info. Purchased the base game for $10 USD, and also picked up Legend of Grimrock for $6 USD.

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    Thanks Voigtkampf. Reviews aren't really my thing but it was a fun experience.

I really hope Paradox adapts a new DLC strategy soon. They need to find a way to uncouple their DLC from their free (and awesome) content patches. I'd rather not see large swaths of the game being locked unless you buy DLC.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Purchased the base game for $10 USD, and also picked up Legend of Grimrock for $6 USD.
    Last edited by Monk; 07-12-2012 at 18:50.

I really hope Paradox adapts a new DLC strategy soon. They need to find a way to uncouple their DLC from their free (and awesome) content patches. I'd rather not see large swaths of the game being locked unless you buy DLC.
    This is the new strategy. The old strategy is forcing everyone to buy patches expansions. I'm not keen about the new approach but it's an improvement over the old '3 features and a tonne of patching for £14.99' dealies.

I'm curious to know if Sword of Islam has appropriate music if you do not buy the music pack DLC. It doesn't look like it based on what I've seen, and I had review code for both so I can't test it myself. If you have to buy the music separately that's pretty crazy!
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    This is the new strategy. The old strategy is forcing everyone to buy patches expansions. I'm not keen about the new approach but it's an improvement over the old '3 features and a tonne of patching for £14.99' dealies.
    Oh dear. Well in that case it's certainly an improvement but then again it's not hard to improve on terrible.

I'm curious to know if Sword of Islam has appropriate music if you do not buy the music pack DLC. It doesn't look like it based on what I've seen, and I had review code for both so I can't test it myself. If you have to buy the music separately that's pretty crazy
    I have maybe 200 hours in CK2 and i am ashamed to admit I have no idea if they added new music in SoI. I never noticed if they did and play 90% of my games with the game's music off. I know they released "Songs of the Caliph" for a microtransaction but that only had two songs in it.

I get your point, but this is the best way it can be done. There's people who actually play multiplayer. If they would not have the files on their build, while the guys with the DLC would, they would not be able to play together. Add more DLC and you have got a community that is so divided there's not enough players for multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    I'm curious to know if Sword of Islam has appropriate music if you do not buy the music pack DLC. It doesn't look like it based on what I've seen, and I had review code for both so I can't test it myself. If you have to buy the music separately that's pretty crazy!
    I never noticed any new music whatsoever. I think that's what the music dlc is for.
    Last edited by rickinator9; 07-12-2012 at 19:16.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFFF- 75% off Swords of Islam.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaexz View Post
    FFFF- 75% off Swords of Islam.
    This is truth. SoI can be grabbed for $2.50 for the next 34 hours on steam.

A few pics from my Ireland campaign.

The mighty Kingdom of Ireland, plus the Isle of Man and Welsh possessions. Since Irish unification the Isles have teetered between the three powers of Scotland, Ireland, and England. The last few decades have seen Ireland as the most powerful of the three as the other two Kingdoms were split between a King and independent dukes. However, just as Ireland enters a new phase of expansion both Scotland and England have gotten their acts together and if England finishes off the sole remaining independent Duke in their lands they may be on top again.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The King of Ireland, a trusting sort skilled at diplomacy but poor at intrigue.

The rest of the map. The two "Roman" Empires are the major powers. France has remained strong and is attempting to bolster a failing reconquista. Iberia is a mess. Meanwhile, in the east the Fatimids are undoing the French Levant.

Very impressive maps, Zim!

Looks like the Seljuks have imploded, which may explain Byzantine dominance. Momentum in Armenia can really determine a number of things for that area of the map and i've seen it go either way, with a trend toward Seljuk/Fatimid dominance. Hopefully the Byz will slow down the Hordes, provided they stay alive!

This is truth. SoI can be grabbed for $2.50 for the next 34 hours on steam.
    Is that something I should be grabbing to along with my $10 CK2?

Is that something I should be grabbing to along with my $10 CK2?
    If you ever plan to play a Muslim ruler than absolutely. I wrote a short review of it for Voigtkampf's site but allow me to sum up as best I can. SoI is essentially an expansion pack that splits CK2 into two very different but very fun worlds of gameplay. Playing Muslim is completely different than playing Christian with that DLC and is all sorts of fun. $2.50 is an unthinkably good deal for everything you're getting.

If you never plan to play on that side of the map, however, then feel free to ignore it.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Just picked it up. Guess I should play as a Muslim now. :P

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

its only 10 dollars now. i want to die.

Page 24 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast