Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Since the game spawns courtiers each time you raise a retinue and you've gone on a conquer spree... I don't even want to ask how big your court is.

I'm actually surprised Paradox let the DLC go out with how unbalanced it makes the game. Though, I must admit, holding the emperor's crown now feels really fun. I enjoy the Alexiad start date as well, perhaps my new favorite to begin a game from.
    you can marry of those cortiers matrialineally its what i do all the time :P i keep my court around 20 constantly.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    Sure, but without the courtier claim conquest exploit please. Otherwise, the guys who come after you will have more trouble with the inside than the outside.
    :S its hardly an exploit :P

but i meant it more as in the first challenge where we try to beat each others time than as the 2nd where we commonly try to achieve a goal :P but tiaexz has already done it so perhaps Monk can come up with another awesome challenge, idc if there are prizes but if someone sets a goal i find the game more fun

We do not sow.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have to admit, I really dislike the way you expand, The Stranger!

I am some one who does it the old fashioned way, mostly because I like to keep duchies as duchies and under that duke. Keeping everything neat, tidy and stable. Can make it more "stable" to rule by making everyone be OPM's, headed by a duke of that area. It allows fast culture/religion swapping, and they are usually fighting amongst themselves before they attempt to gang up on you. I did this with my family members. It really decreased their ability to rival my seat on the throne.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

well tbh when i play my own games i usually play near muslims so i holy war. i only use king tier claimants because i like to have my family members on king tier thrones :P usually i take something like spain or england and from there just expand by putting my family members in a throne on france or hungary whatever and then try to keep them in power.

i usually get 2-3 children with my first wife then divorce or kill her and marry claimants to the throne of other kingdoms and then when i got a son or 2 i put her on the throne, divorce and repeat :P

i never have any rebellions or whatever tbh, specially not now with these factions :P but i guess not everyone like to play like that. there is no problem maintaining what you conquer in that fashion if you try to maintain it in similar fashion if you know what i mean. i usually just kill people of rebellious nature :P

but sometimes i just dont have the patience, i was recently recreating the roman empire and i started in 1080 somwhere so the rummites had taken all of anatolia. and after i conquered the balkan i looked at the numbers of holy wars i had to do to reconquer anatolia, and i was like fk it... takes too long and i pulled some strings to get a rummite with a claim to the throne and pushed his claim :P then i revoked his title cuz he was muslim and thats how i got all of anatolia with 1 war instead of a dozen -_- i did the same with the fatimids XD im just too impatient i guess
    Last edited by The Stranger; 10-27-2012 at 01:37.

We do not sow.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    :S its hardly an exploit :P

but i meant it more as in the first challenge where we try to beat each others time than as the 2nd where we commonly try to achieve a goal :P but tiaexz has already done it so perhaps Monk can come up with another awesome challenge, idc if there are prizes but if someone sets a goal i find the game more fun
    Ehh. There probably won't be another one, at least not for a while and certainly never in vanilla with the current trend of paradox patches.

The unmodded game is now incredibly easy to exploit in numerous ways. The Imperial Conquest CB for the Byzantines, Muslim Invasion CB, holy war spam, breaking truces, courtier claims, opinion and rebellion mechanic exploiting, it's all a bit absurd if you ask me. There would need to be so many house rules that it would defeat the entire purpose imo.

=_=

well i have nice idea for a challenge,

The Habsburgers:

goals:
    become holy roman emperor, emperor of hispania and king of hungary.

setting:
    you can play any single county count in the HRE
    dont know the right time yet, but something like 1100 maybe?

rules:

you are allowed only tp gain titles by diplomacy/intrigue (demand land of vassals or of lieges), marriage/heritage) or by creation/usurpation
    you are not allowed to fight offensive wars except for crusades or to press dejure claims, the only exception is that you are allowed to fight holy wars in spain against the muslims to be able to create the title emperor of hispania
    Last edited by The Stranger; 10-28-2012 at 11:49.

We do not sow.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    =_=

well i have nice idea for a challenge,

The Habsburgers:

goals:
    become holy roman emperor, emperor of hispania and king of hungary.

setting:
    you can play any single county count in the HRE
    dont know the right time yet, but something like 1100 maybe?

rules:

you are allowed only tp gain titles by diplomacy/intrigue (demand land of vassals or of lieges), marriage/heritage) or by creation/usurpation
    you are not allowed to fight offensive wars except for crusades or to press dejure claims, the only exception is that you are allowed to fight holy wars in spain against the muslims to be able to create the title emperor of hispania
    Why settle for any old count when you can have the Habsburgs themselves?

They exist at the 1066 start as the County of Aargau (situated in castle Habsburg, actually).

I was playing as them before the 1.07 patch, managed to become King of Burgundy, gained independence from HRE, and started conquering Spain. It's a pretty fun setting. Actually becoming the Holy Roman emperor would make the rest pretty easy though.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

well because its alternative history :P if someone wants to be a pseudo habsburgs, they can

1100 is a nice starting point, the crusader states just sprung into existence and the fatimids are like at the smallest point ever (even though still very strong) in my game sadly the crusader states fell quickly and the fatimids expanded monsterly fast but there might be a different turn in some games.

becoming emperor i think will make things harder only because you have to keep the title, and you will have to deal with all the turmoil. and since you are not allowed to gain titles by war you will still have to marry smart etc

i started as the habsburgs as well, with some smart diplomacy i got granted the duchy of upper burgundy by the emperor and from there im trying to expand. im doing quite well and my son will inherite the duchy of tuscany and provence so i will soon be able to also create the kingdom of burgundy :P]

its alot of fun to try this way

We do not sow.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Am I the only one finding these new faction revolts, a bit excessive?
    I mean, how they unite and coordinate is good, they finally have some chances, but I've been seeing so many vassals, with positive relations, joining in...

Does it mean, that now large empires are just unstable, so we should settle for kingdoms and private armies?
    I feel my gameplay just got halved :S

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    I mean, how they unite and coordinate is good, they finally have some chances, but I've been seeing so many vassals, with positive relations, joining in...

Does it mean, that now large empires are just unstable, so we should settle for kingdoms and private armies?
    Your spymaster should be able to discourage them from joining them, unless Paradox hasn't implemented that function yet.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Guess, I won't steal researches anymore then...

Will try that, but in all honesty, holding the Roman Empire together, has become quite a tedious chore...

Blog Entries

Guess, I won't steal researches anymore then...

Will try that, but in all honesty, holding the Roman Empire together, has become quite a tedious chore...
    Sounds about right for a medieval nation.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thing is: greek officials are everywhere, so is orthodoxy. They have control of large provinces, there's no discontent, nor an high central government dictating actions...
    I just don't see the motive, other than revolting for the sake of revolting lol

Blog Entries

I turned down taxes for myself. I had too many revolts outside of that otherwise. But yeah, when I had like 160 duke vassals, I decided it got a little too annoying. Now I have started implementing Kingdom's in the regions. My logic behind this is that I got so much money anyway, if I have them into Kingdom's, it is far less people to keep "sweet" with bribes, plus the vassals tend to be fighting their own vassals, which keeps them from joining in civil wars against you.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

i personally havent had any trouble with factions so far, as the ERE in 100 years ive had only 2 rebellions for indepence, reasonably easily defeated, although the last one was unfortunately timed during a series of different wars so i took the white peace. i like this way alot better because no longer will my distant vassal rebell all the time without a chance because i raised some levies that toppled the delicate balance.

gifts and titles still seem to work atleast for me, i check the most powerfull ones in the faction and give them money, and whatever else they need to be appeased and i send my chancellor to work on relations. i find it easier now more than ever before to keep a large realm together.

We do not sow.

Often times vassals will start multiple factions at once, it pays great dividends to find out who is the main plotter in your kingdom and send your spymaster to "scheme" in his capital. Scheming replaces the old "discover plots" action, and can be used in any province where you have vassals. After a set amount of time you will be presented with a choice in how you demand your vassal end his relation to the faction. Some vassals will thumb their nose at you, but others can be more easily persuaded. After a success, that vassal will no longer join a faction that opposes your rule. You can't scheme everyone away, however, so after you have your spymaster in place you should hand out honorary titles and send gifts to keep the rest of your subjects happy.

I've found the ideal relation to shoot for to be at, or around, +50 opinion. If you get a vassal over that point he will usually leave, or even disband it if he's the leader, the current faction he is apart of. This threshold may change as your Kingdom grows larger and becomes a true Empire, so always be vigilant.
    Last edited by Monk; 10-30-2012 at 21:00.

best thing ive done sofar in my frisia campaign is own everything myself save for 2-3 counties, i switched to elective and since im a king with no dukes i have the only vote, i can basically pick whichever son or cousin i want to be heir. this is so cool! shouldve thought of that before!

We do not sow.

Still having +60ish kings forming leagues, but whatcha gonna do about it lol

The spymaster did help, thx guys!
    Let's see if I can get this Roman Empire as far as Britain XD

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

You can always delegate: Give out some kingdom titles.
    This has some benefits:
    - Larger single levy(can also be bad if you are going into attrition zones)
    - Less vassals to take care of

This also has a bad side:
    - It costs more to bribe these vassals
    - A revolt will be more dangerous.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

This sounds like the most ridiculous DLC so far.
    What?! Pony-inhabited Atlantis next! Aliens!

I'm Emperor, I gave the kingdoms away long ago lol

BTW that DLC is just wrong XD

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Surely it's not April 1st already?
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

that has to be a joke right?

aztecs on horses also??? wtf

We do not sow.

Blog Entries

Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion DLC unveiled!

Finally, we're thrilled to announce the upcoming Sunset Invasion DLC pack for Crusader Kings II. It introduces – wait for it – an Aztec invasion of medieval Europe!

No, we're not kidding. Say hello to Paradox's first non-historic DLC ever for one of its grand strategy games. And what a debut! This pack introduces new Aztec units, culture, portraits, events and religion, as well as a devastating new plague.

Because what could be more “Halloween” than pestilence and human sacrifice? Sunset Invasion will retail at $4.99, and lands Q4 2012.

Read more: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/cr...unset-invasion
    Yes... interesting!

I will probably actually buy it, it seems fun and it will shake up western Europe. Some one in Paradox probably did this in their spare time for fun, and they decided to share it with us
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-31-2012 at 19:50.

First DLC I won't buy. Game is unbalanced enough as is without magical unicorn invasions that could never have happened.

The Anger Shaman of the .Org Content Manager Voigtkampf's Avatar

Anything could have happened, and if we are to believe quantum physics and Terry Pratchett, everything has happened.

I, for one, welcome our new Aztec overlords!

Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings, The Water Book

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

hmm, it is not April 1st today?
    Let me check.

Quote Originally Posted by Voigtkampf View Post
    Anything could have happened, and if we are to believe quantum physics and Terry Pratchett, everything has happened.

I, for one, welcome our new Aztec overlords!
    Say hello to Yog Sothoth and the Elder Gods for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    hmm, it is not April 1st today?
    Let me check.
    Nope, this is apparently completely legit and paradox is shocked as to why anyone would object.

Whatever. It's not like they are forcing me to deal with it, unlike in RTW when you had Rome fighting Old Kingdom era Egypt in vanilla. Firmly in the "not buying" camp for this one.

Blog Entries

People are indeed overreacting though.

To take this...
    a) "funny, but not something I want."
    b) "funny, i want it"
    c) "not my cup of tea, I don't care"

I have seen A and B, but C is more like:
    c) zomg paradox suckzozors republics mongols theoracy pope n' stuff

Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast