Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1449

Thread: Crusader Kings II

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

Default Re: Crusader Kings II

I need help! I'm in an emergency. Today I created an account in Seam to purchase CK2 collection which is on sale there. But unfortunately I saw that Iran is not included in countries list. Can't I do s.th to purchase it? Is another website that supports Iran? Please help me before the sale time of CK2 expires.
    Last edited by komnenos; 05-29-2013 at 11:36.
    He who has bread has many problems;

He who has no bread has only one problem.

Byzantine Proverb

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

It was on sale on a few other websites before the Steam sale, unfortunately thay have finished.

Is it Steam itself unavailable in Iran, or just CK2 through Steam?

strategy gamer Member Enemy Shooting Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Eggs Champion, Kaboom Champion, Money Money Money Champion, Rapid Motion Champion, Super Fishing Champion komnenos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    It was on sale on a few other websites before the Steam sale, unfortunately thay have finished.

Is it Steam itself unavailable in Iran, or just CK2 through Steam?
    Yes Steam is itself unavailable in Iran because I tried M2TW and Call of Duty but again I didn't see Iran in the list. In addition to Iran some countries like Iraq wasn't there.

Byzantine Proverb

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You could use a proxy and pretend to be in another country, lets say, America. I believe that is a way.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Achaemenids: Attempt #1

So, I started as Kurush. I first started attacking Khiva, for the duchy of Khiva(The muslim states to the south were occupied in a war). I, of course won. After this, I saved up a whole lot of money, as the wars to the south had only left one dominant muslim state: The Saffarids. As I expected, they quickly DoWed me, but with the money I stocked up, I was able to get some mercs, which helped me defeat the 10000 man doomstack(in this context, it was). I was able to drive up the warscore to 100% by destroying their army and I even had the luck of killing the enemy ruler in battle.

A few years later, the turks from the north attacked. I hired some Horse archer mercs and set out to battle the turks. They were defeated so decisively, that I made peace and followed up with an holy war. That was to be that last of the turks. In the meantime, I took all the land of Khiva. From that point on, I didn't expand. The affairs with the Khivans and the Turks meant that I wasn't able to attack the Saffarids, which I should have done. The Saffarids were promptly defeated and now, the Caliph held most of Persia.

The only opportunity that popped up against them was a decadence invasion, but I was soundly defeated because for some reason, the AI sent all their armies to me. The decadence invasion succeeded and was followed by civil war, but I wasn't able to take advantage of this. Whenever I went to war(with the son of the now dead Kurush) my vassals revolted. I decided to stop the game at this point, as my vassals randomly started making factions.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Yes, I have found the Zoroastrian Karen Satrapy to be very difficult to succeed with myself after several trials today. But it seems you made it further than me - I always got bogged down fending off other countries' Holy Wars. First I tried to go south into the Tahirid Satrapy for an immediate land-grab in Zoroastrian lands (so little turnover to give me troops), and that worked for a while - even got myself a Genius daughter of the Satrap and his sister - but I got mauled by the Cuman Khan and the Saffarids at the same time. The second time I went for an early war against Khiva but I took the single county left in the Duchy of Merv (probably not a great idea), and then everyone outpowered me. I was starting to think it was impossible without swearing fealty to the Khivan Shah before your proof.

Something I have discovered - the Saffarids always start at war (Invasion of Persia) with the Tahirids, and will take all of their land if they win, leading to that blob problem you have. And unless someone else is supporting the Tahirids, the Saffarids will probably win, because they are significantly bigger.

Also, the Horse Archer mercs are super-helpful, and I've found they can take down armies about 1.5 times their size with the right commanders.

So the way to succeed may lie in making sure the Tahirids and the Saffarids stay separate - because divided, you can conquer them, but together they are just too much.

Anyway I spent a lot more time yesterday with Harald Fairhair, and here's what I've accomplished:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's Harald's grandson on the throne now. Completed the Norse reformation within Fairhair's lifetime, and since his son died young I've been mostly defending the Fylkirate until now. I plan to let Denmark de jure drift before I create the Kingdom; Norway is enough for now. I also had the Holy Isle of Zeeland until just about 6 years ago when the Queen of Lotharingia holy-warred me for it and called in all of her Karling cousins. One Karling I could have handled, probably even two or three with Sweden's support, but the entirety of Europe rallied with the infidel witch.

Not sure what I'll do with Harald II now. Maybe I'll invade Scotland and get rid of the heretical Old Norse living there. Definitely want to stick it to the Karlings and take all of Holland soon. By the way - as soon as you reform, you're considered "organized religion" by the game and get the huge supply limit penalties in other pagan lands. Found that out the hard way when I went for Mecklenburg after reforming.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Well, I came here to see if I should purchase Old Gods and your fun games have tipped the balance out of my account and into Paradox Interactive's eager palms. Now I just need the friendly modders for PB, SWMH and VIET to update!

- Birth rates have been reduced a lot
    That's probably a good thing. My last game as the von Pruessen Kings of Vendiland each king produced about 9 children, maybe more... Although I'd prefer it if rather they kept the birth rate the same, but instead increased infant mortality. In fact, I may just try implement that myself!

Also, the Horse Archer mercs are super-helpful, and I've found they can take down armies about 1.5 times their size with the right commanders.
    Horse Archers are the second most powerful unit type, their stats mean they're approx half as powerful as knights (and 35% stronger than LC and a whole 78% stronger than pikes). The fact they have high skirmish numbers means armies are very susceptible to taking big loses initially, and then never recovering. In short, yes they're good!
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

I gave Antioch a try or two in the 1087 scenario (third crusade), however each time I got my arse handed to me by Salahadin, he simply called a Jihad on my weak, two county state, and stomped me effortlessly. What do I have to do? One time I made it up until the Teutonic Order was formed, but I still lacked the 120 piety necessary to get their delicious, free, Muslim-slaying armies.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    I gave Antioch a try or two in the 1087 scenario (third crusade), however each time I got my arse handed to me by Salahadin, he simply called a Jihad on my weak, two county state, and stomped me effortlessly. What do I have to do? One time I made it up until the Teutonic Order was formed, but I still lacked the 120 piety necessary to get their delicious, free, Muslim-slaying armies.
    I think becoming a vassal of Jerusalem is your only choice.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rickinator9 View Post
    I think becoming a vassal of Jerusalem is your only choice.
    90% of the time, that only just delays the Jihadist onslaught. If the Sunni one fails then the Shia one well get you...Still, I admire anyone for trying to play a Catholic Character in the Outemer region.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    Yes, I have found the Zoroastrian Karen Satrapy to be very difficult to succeed with myself after several trials today. But it seems you made it further than me - I always got bogged down fending off other countries' Holy Wars. First I tried to go south into the Tahirid Satrapy for an immediate land-grab in Zoroastrian lands (so little turnover to give me troops), and that worked for a while - even got myself a Genius daughter of the Satrap and his sister - but I got mauled by the Cuman Khan and the Saffarids at the same time. The second time I went for an early war against Khiva but I took the single county left in the Duchy of Merv (probably not a great idea), and then everyone outpowered me. I was starting to think it was impossible without swearing fealty to the Khivan Shah before your proof.
    I'm gonna try it with PB now. I found out that along with their larger size the Saffarids also get 4000 free troops. I cheated them away and stopped the war between the two satrapies to just give the Tahirids time to prepare.

There's a juicy target to your southwest. The Alavids are Shia, so that means they can't call in too many muslim allies.

Edit: I can actually have my sisters and daughters as concubines...
    Last edited by rickinator9; 05-31-2013 at 02:03.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

I'm gonna try it with PB now. I found out that along with their larger size the Saffarids also get 4000 free troops. I cheated them away and stopped the war between the two satrapies to just give the Tahirids time to prepare.

There's a juicy target to your southwest. The Alavids are Shia, so that means they can't call in too many muslim allies.
    Meneth has made some really great balance changes to the 867 start. I'm impressed. Wouldn't mind giving it a go myself.

I can actually have my sisters and daughters as concubines...
    It's not only allowed, it's encouraged. Taking sisters or daughters as wives gives a large opinion boost to Zoroastrian vassals.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Meneth has made some really great balance changes to the 867 start. I'm impressed.
    I talk to him almost every day, so I can suggest a lot during playthroughs. The removal of the massive Abbasid claims was one of my suggestions.

I talk to him almost every day, so I can suggest a lot during playthroughs. The removal of the massive Abbasid claims was one of my suggestions.

My first game ended in first success, then failure. I created Lithuania by subjugation, then was subjugated myself by Danish Vikings. That casus belli really needs to be nerfed. You can absorb huge regions if the duke and king titles exist. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Meneth has made some really great balance changes to the 867 start. I'm impressed. Wouldn't mind giving it a go myself.
    Wooo! That guy is a machine mighty fast turn-around on his updates.
    #Hillary4prism

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Hmm.. I think i'll obtain all the dlcs and such, then give it a try again. I've seen some pretty gimicky guides, like taking all your starting vassal's lands for yourself, banishing/imprisioning/executing them and such, but it sounds like it's not how the game was meant to be played. Plus, starting in 1066 on some backwater island in northern Europe is one thing, but starting in the middle of the storm in 1187 is another.

Interestingly enough, for a first try of CK2 (I played a bit of 1 and Deus Lo Vult, but never mastered it), I somehow managed to not get my head chopped off by muslims and NOT swearing fealty to Jerusalem until the TO emerges, which is several years after the start I think. If I somehow manage do get 120 piety by then, I think I'd be fine.

Though last night I did swear fealty and I found that it's actually to my benefit to do so, as the entire army of the Hospitallier order basically helped me crush the Hashashin province. It then went on conquering in Rum for some reason, but whatever. I'm curious how the AI can raise the Hospitalliers ASAP, while if I were playing the KOJ i'd have to wait to amass the necessary piety.

I also have an idea of somehow involving the HRE into the levantine conflict. If the Kaiser drops the hammer on Egypt I think myself with the KOJ can together somehow splatter the rest (with the aid of the Holy Orders of course).
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    Hmm.. I think i'll obtain all the dlcs and such, then give it a try again. I've seen some pretty gimicky guides, like taking all your starting vassal's lands for yourself, banishing/imprisioning/executing them and such, but it sounds like it's not how the game was meant to be played. Plus, starting in 1066 on some backwater island in northern Europe is one thing, but starting in the middle of the storm in 1187 is another.

Interestingly enough, for a first try of CK2 (I played a bit of 1 and Deus Lo Vult, but never mastered it), I somehow managed to not get my head chopped off by muslims and NOT swearing fealty to Jerusalem until the TO emerges, which is several years after the start I think. If I somehow manage do get 120 piety by then, I think I'd be fine.

Though last night I did swear fealty and I found that it's actually to my benefit to do so, as the entire army of the Hospitallier order basically helped me crush the Hashashin province. It then went on conquering in Rum for some reason, but whatever. I'm curious how the AI can raise the Hospitalliers ASAP, while if I were playing the KOJ i'd have to wait to amass the necessary piety.

I also have an idea of somehow involving the HRE into the levantine conflict. If the Kaiser drops the hammer on Egypt I think myself with the KOJ can together somehow splatter the rest (with the aid of the Holy Orders of course).
    Oh , of course you should. I hope also buy CK2+all DLCs through steam.

Byzantine Proverb

Has anyone managed to reform the Norse faith?
    #Hillary4prism

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Yeah, but there are two bugs with that. One is that the Norse holy orders don't reform and the other is that female seers cannot convert anything or anyone, I have no idea why...

You also lose that yummy defensive attrition bonus and get hit by it when invading other unreformed pagans.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Yep, check my screenshot a page back.

Quote Originally Posted by White_eyes:D View Post
    Yeah, but there are two bugs with that. One is that the Norse holy orders don't reform and the other is that female seers cannot convert anything or anyone, I have no idea why...

You also lose that yummy defensive attrition bonus and get hit by it when invading other unreformed pagans.
    I can confirm the Jomsvikings not reforming. Actually I reformed before they existed, that might be the problem. As for female seers, I never actually tried/noticed. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
    Yep, check my screenshot a page back.
    Ahh. You did too!

Holy orders didn't reform for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    I started an 867 Game as Holmgardr, now I'm in 973 and I've got the kingdom of Rus, just large enough to create the Russian Empire if I had the right culture--somehow my lineage went from Norse culture and Norse religion to Estonian Culture and Slavic Religion. On the up-side, i'm >< this close to reforming the Slavic Religion, just gathering moral authority as I already have the Holy Sites and the piety.
    Your culture/religion shift would be down to guardians or events. Guardians have a chance to change their wards culture/religion to their own. So be careful educating your children with a foreigner. Alternatively it can be used to your advantage, educate your next heir using a Russian and you'll be able to form that Rus Empire!
    #Hillary4prism

Members thankful for this post (2):

I thought I'd combine my favourite CK2 things, Norse raiding, the Baltic Sea and Project Balance and see what I'd manage to accomplish.

Premise: An (completely) ahistorical Baltic Norseman tenuously rules Prussia, his vassals distrustful of this upstart heathen. Surrounded by religious enemies and ambitious would-be-kings, he must reach his goals.

Goals:

1. Revoke all of Prussia before becoming a King prevents doing so.
    2. Subjugate Lithuania and become its King.
    3. Marry into Norse Royalty.
    4. Subjugate Poland and become its King
    5. Create the Empire of Poland-Lithuania
    6. Keep it all together!

Needless to say:

I did it!

Also.... 14 children is, uh, quite a lot, and only 20% died young. Concubines are a bit of a double-edged proposition... Mortality and fertility still needs a little more tweaking.

This DLC really is excellent. Raiding is so much fun and so powerful. In the course of my game I sacked Venice and Rome and took the spoils and plunder of the Mediterranean for my own!

And I captured the odd King too!

Next up is the impending realm division when Jedvard journeys off to Valhalla for further glories. Thankfully the Empire is elective, and all but 1 Duke weak and easy to manipulate.

The Heir to Poland. Vs. The Heir to Lithuania.

There is still more of Poland to conquer. But that can wait till after the inevitable succession crisis (you can tell which son I favour!)
    Last edited by naut; 06-02-2013 at 15:16.
    #Hillary4prism

Member thankful for this post:

Monk 

Curse this game! I'm so utterly hooked. This thing is worse than crack.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Agreed!

So i heard restoring Zoroastrianism was hard.. and you're damn right it is. Liberal use of your chancellor's ability to increase relations with rulers is the only way you're going to survive. Even with Project Balance making the east less stupid (no more abbasids getting claims on everything!) if you aren't increasing relations you're going to go down in flames. I've adopted the strategy of, whichever direction i'm not expanding in, I send my chancellor to tell sweet lies to the ruler of that region. It's worked incredibly well, as have my military campaigns.

And if there was one thing saving the Godwin dynasty taught me it was the best defense is a great offense. (A little assassination here and there doesn't hurt either...)

I've picked apart and annihilated every emirate and satropy who dared to stand against me. Usually invading when they were least expecting it, and using the opportunity to pick apart their stacks before they could doom up. The southern powers start much larger than you, but if you can organize a quick strike you can easily cut off their forces and take them piecemeal. Do that and amazing things happen, if you can't get that to line up perfectly, they will doom up and you're done..

The Karen Dynasty now controls a restored Persian Kingdom. The Shah's power is absolute in the eastern part of Persian. In the center, petty Sunni rulers are fighting over the remains of the Sarrafids after their collapse, while in the West the Arabian Empire is controlled by the waning power of the Abbasids. Perhaps shadows of their former selves, Persia must take great care not to disappear into those shadows in the days ahead.. For while the Karen Shahdom of Persia is powerful it has expanded too quickly and many of its new satrapies are not fully beneath the control of their Zoroastrian overlords. Religious tension is mounting, especially along the Persian Gulf, but if any man can hold together this newly forged kingdom it would be Vahid The Great.

A decidedly average noble who, at first glance, hardly has any idea how to run a kingdom, this man has fought in every battle, led every charge, and personally united two kingdoms beneath his banner all within the 17 years of his reign. It has been a hard road to this point, and the challenges ahead look even tougher as the power of the Abbasids refuses to fade completely. A confrontation is likely inevitable between the two powers, and Vahid is likely going to be right in the thick of it, as he always has been.

And of course.. what sort of Zoroastrian Shah would he be without marrying his sister.

100 years remain until the Seljuk Invasion arrives on my northern frontier. I need to consolidate my power quickly if I am going to have any hope of weathering that storm, but the Abbasids aren't going anywhere... I have a feeling it's going to be a long winter.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-02-2013 at 21:31.

naut 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    I am glad my shoddy reply to you didn't scare you away then.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

@Monk: How did the Tahirids survive? The Saffarids usually eat the Tahirids and form a mega blob.

@Monk: How did the Tahirids survive? The Saffarids usually eat the Tahirids and form a mega blob.
    They did, but the Tahirids made a comeback when I destroyed the Saffarids.

The Saffarids only had a couple duchy titles across their blob, apparently. So when I invaded Birjand in a holy war and took it (in a series of flawlessly timed engagements where I completely broke their stacks before they could doom up, if I might add) it fractured the mega-blob into a half-dozen smaller states after the peace offer. The Tahirids are the result of around 10 years of clawing back to the forefront in the ensuing chaos.

I'm currently in the process of dismantling them once again.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-03-2013 at 00:09.

Well done, Monk.

I can't for the life of me figure out a winning strategy in landlocked regions like that when I'm outnumbered. Even hitting the levies before they combine into a stack is difficult because it's so difficult to guess how long it will take you to get anywhere.

I very much prefer the old "hit them where they're vulnerable and then retreat to the boats" strategy, but it obviously doesn't work in Persia.

Monk 

Strangers have arrived from a far away land...

I have no idea how they even got here, but this is simultaneously the strangest and greatest thing i've ever seen the AI do. With about 2,000 tough adventurers this guy set sail for the ends of the known world and has arrived in Basra. Not only that, he's carved out his own little kingdom just a stone's throw away from the power struggle over Persia between the Karen Shahs and the Abbasid Caliph. Everyone seems to be leaving him alone for now.

I can only imagine the story these guys would tell if they could.

Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast