Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baldur's Gate 3?

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3?

Still not better than the wingless, virginal avariel. Just get past the girlie drama and POW!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I'd have to respectfully disagree. In an unmodded vanilla BG, Aerie is adequate. But in the modded version I play (Tactics & Ascension mods both amongst a few others), she is far too weak. Tyris gives you that added punch in the front lines when you need it, or she can stand off and cast spells to support your mage. I suppose much depends on your party composition but for me, Aerie just doesn't cut it.
    High Plains Drifter

Yea, I tended to play melee and ranged-heavy parties. My mages were for taking down liches and prefer druids. It suited my playstyle without being too convoluted.

Love me some flail of the ages.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is getting pre-loaded as of today. \/

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Oh wowowow & wantwantwant http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...nfinity-engine

I can't see this singing on the failpad but gawd I want this

I've recently started to think that I've overpaid for such a game, despite it being related to Baldur's Gate. :/

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    I've recently started to think that I've overpaid for such a game, despite it being related to Baldur's Gate. :/
    Even with the lack of significant upgrades in a lot of areas, I think this is a great project and I will be happy to pay $20 for it. This alone will re-ignite the BG modding community and will hopefully give us many more years of fun with one of the greatest RPGs ever made. That's worth the (modest) price IMO.

That's exactly what I'm worrying about: The additions do not look to suffice one would pay for something new on top of another.

$20? That's a week's worth of Starbucks, or a month of feeding a starving child in Africa. It seems quite reasonable for a reworked and improved classic computer game.

Down with dried flowers!

Only 5.30 hours left.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    $20? That's a week's worth of Starbucks, or a month of feeding a starving child in Africa. It seems quite reasonable for a reworked and improved classic computer game.
    Drawing comparisons of computer games prices against other irrelevant worldy matters does not sound rational, mate, sorry.

Drawing comparisons of computer games prices against other irrelevant worldy matters does not sound rational, mate, sorry.
    I tend to compare game prices with movie prices. As I see it, both are entertainment expenses and are thus somewhat equivalent. I then compare the amount of entertainment per hour that I get with both. With movies, I tend to pay $20 (with concessions) per movie, for an average of $10/hour of film entertainment. For games, the price per hour of entertainment is much lower. Even though I paid $60 for Skyrim, I've already gotten 100 hours of entertainment out of it, and will likely get more in the future. That works out to $0.60/hour of entertainment for Skyrim, which is a really good deal. When I look at it that way, nearly all computer games give good entertainment value for money.

I couldn't even begin to calculate how many hours I've spent playing BG (waaaay to many, I'm sure). It would probably work out to be a fraction of a penny/hr......

Even if the remake turns out to be only so-so, if it can be modded, it will be, and that will be worth every penny of 20 bucks.

For me, just having it on my shelf will be just fine if it only gets played once.
    High Plains Drifter

Member thankful for this post:

Frags.....how'd I end up with your mug-shot on my account?

And why can I not edit my own posts anymore?
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Frags.....how'd I end up with your mug-shot on my account?

And why can I not edit my own posts anymore?
    I see different avatars for you and Fragony. If they appear to be the same to you, please take a screenshot and post this issue in the Watchtower. Same with the editing issue.

From the review Frag mentioned right above this post:

If you're not much of a tinkerer, then sure. If you want a horde mode, definitely. Otherwise, be aware that the original Baldur's Gate is cheaper and, with a little savvy, can be modded to up the resolution, add some of the same extras and even to include a few (unofficial) fan-made adventures. Unfortunately, this new edition doesn't appear to be compatible with those mods, so be aware that you'll be excluding them.
    Exactly why the 20 bucks of price made me thinking over an "enhancement" of a game I've loved indeed, only second to Fallout.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 12-04-2012 at 14:00.

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Ah, a Viconia fanboy myself.

I played BG2 last night, it works fine on my windows 7 machine, even with the widescreen patch on i can see half the district on my monitor. I'm playing with the difficulty patch on so it's a bit slow, but very reawrding. I can't wait for this re-release! I actually started on the series with IWD2, but BG2>TOB are by far my most favourite.
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

I think I'm going to wait to buy BGEE until BG2EE has been released. At this point, I consider the entire saga one long game and if I'm going to play it again I want to play it from level 1 to godhood.

Never played this one. I started with games like this with the original D&D (pen/paper/miniatures), C&S, HARN, Empire of the Petal Throne...etc. While ADD2 is not my choice for "best system evah!" it's always more about the story. So, is the story the game takes you through any good? Is it tightly bounded? Open-ended? Interesting?
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    Never played this one. I started with games like this with the original D&D (pen/paper/miniatures), C&S, HARN, Empire of the Petal Throne...etc. While ADD2 is not my choice for "best system evah!" it's always more about the story. So, is the story the game takes you through any good? Is it tightly bounded? Open-ended? Interesting?
    IMO, considered as a whole (both games with both expansion packs) it is the best RPG ever made. It has a very long and interesting main plot, while still being very open with hundreds of side quests and areas to explore. They aren't open-world games in the style of the Elder Scrolls games, but they are still extremely open and you are free to explore and find things that are not at all relevant to the main quest. There are many companions and many of them are have a great deal of depth and personality to them. Their stories become long and interesting in their own right, particularly in the second game (it is a continuous story, your character from the first game can be imported directly into the second). On the main quest itself, you're generally going to follow the same path each time, though there are many different choices that can be made along the way depending on your chosen alignment, style of play, class, etc. Above all, it's the greatest hero's journey in the history of gaming. The combat is also very good and it's one of the better tactical combat games out there.

The main disadvantages are come from the fact that it is very dated at this point. The graphics, even in the EE version, will be actively bad. In addition, it uses D&D 2E rules, which are easily some of the most confusing and inflexible ever made. If you can deal with those drawbacks, I highly recommend it. If you plan on playing it, do yourself a favor and don't read any articles or reviews about it because the game is so old it's been spoiled to hell and back a thousand times. I would pay a great deal of money to be able to go back and play the saga again for the first time without any fore-knowledge. If you can take advantage of that now, you should do so.
    Last edited by TinCow; 12-04-2012 at 23:20.

Member thankful for this post:

Baldur's Gate ?

I remember myself once having prepared my party for half an hour before encountering a group of wizards after my nth time attempt at taking them down.

That pretty much summarizes its strength on the player.

From the review Frag mentioned right above this post:

Exactly why the 20 bucks of price made me thinking over an "enhancement" of a game I've loved indeed, only second to Fallout.
    Perhaps if you are a pc-gamer, but I want this on my failpad. Totally worth the money. Upscaling resolution and reworking resolution aren't the same thing, it must have been a nightmare to do this and I'm glad they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Perhaps if you are a pc-gamer, but I want this on my failpad. Totally worth the money. Upscaling resolution and reworking resolution aren't the same thing, it must have been a nightmare to do this and I'm glad they did.
    Of course, porting BG is worth the bucks. It's because theoretically a "new game" that you're paying for.

Of course, porting BG is worth the bucks. It's because theoretically a "new game" that you're paying for.
    Right. PC version is worthless for just about anyone who has the original.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I've just started my yearly Baldur's Gate trilogy play through, and there is nothing I can see in the Enhanced Edition that tempts me to buy it. I doubt I'll even be tempted if they do a BG2 EE.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where are people getting the game from?
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Good question.

I tried it from their site but after downloading the BeamDog client I just get in an endless log-in loop. So I can't purchase and the client just runs in the background doing bugger all.

Got it to work; another client that will no doubt do helpful things, whether I want it to or not...er Yay!?
    Last edited by HopAlongBunny; 12-06-2012 at 04:10.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

So far a waste of money.

Tutorial is interesting but I didn't get far; supposed to follow Bend upstairs but game just dead-ends at top of stairs. Pretty limited real estate.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by HopAlongBunny View Post
    So far a waste of money.

Tutorial is interesting but I didn't get far; supposed to follow Bend upstairs but game just dead-ends at top of stairs. Pretty limited real estate.
    If you're familiar with D&D, you shouldn't need the tutorial. The game itself has an easy opening area that essentially acts as a more subtle tutorial anyway. The tutorial is just some add-on thing from the EE edition, it's not part of the original.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast