Thread: Graphics card.

Blog Entries

Default Graphics card.

I've been noticing that my computer has been performing less than a quad core processer should be doing and I think it's the video card so I've got some money ~£400 and I've been thinking of a GeForce GTX 560TI but I'm not sure my computer is compatable or that the GTX is a good choice.
    Here's my specs as far as I can figure out with CPU-Z:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Motherboard: BIOSTAR TP45 HP
    Ram: 2X4GB DDR2
    Graphics card: Radeon HD 4870
    Power: Seasonic SS-600HT

Can I get it or are there any good alternatives that will work with it?
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-18-2012 at 18:24.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: Graphics card.

Hmmm. Your CPU clocks at 2.4ghz? In single threaded applications that'll cause some slowness not related to GPU. But a CPU upgrade would likely involve a mobo too. On the GPU side a 6970 or a 7770 are probably best value for money currently.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Blog Entries

Eh, the CPU seems to serve, I have noticed some lagging in none graphic intensive stuff, but I always thought that was due to not wiping the disk I have windows installed on for more than a year and most games these days are multi core compatable. Also I really, Really, dont want the bother of installing a new motherboard.
    Value for money isnt much of a concern, the higher graphic cards are about £200 and I have £260, more than enough. Though the chances of me getting the same amount in the near future is somewhat slim after this purchase so I want to know I'm getting a keeper.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-19-2012 at 14:15.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

You'll get some additional performance, but your CPU/mobo/ram will be your choke point. Games these days are much more cpu limited than gpu. You can get an Intel 2500k, decent Asus mobo and 8gb of g.skill ddr3 for not a whole lot, and the 2500k will overclock like a beast even on stock cooling.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Blog Entries

I honestly didn't expect that, I'd normally think my quad core and 8gigs of ram would be pretty good.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 02-20-2012 at 22:53.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    Games these days are much more cpu limited than gpu.
    i'd say the opposite personally.

my mum has my old pc with a Q6700 (the one up from here) paired with a GTX460 (the one down from 560Ti) and she is going great-guns on skyrim with graphics maxed out and all that jazz.

if GB were going to spend £450 on a top of line AMD 7970 then i would agree that his Q6600 would be a bottleneck, but, a £150 560Ti should be more than worth his while.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 02-21-2012 at 16:08.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

So 560Ti is a good choice?

I'm with Furunculus.

Some games are somewhat CPU-limited because they don't use all four cores of a quad core.
    Other than that a lot of my problems seem to stem from my GTX 460 having only 768MB RAM.
    It still runs Skyrim with the official high res textures and almost maxed out otherwise really well. A few small hickups, but those only seem to come with the high-res textures and are probably VRAM related as I said.

And I have an AMD Phenom 2 x4 [high number, 965?] BE, which isn't far from your Intel IIRC.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

Ok I've bought it and I've got it right now, now to find an online guide on how to install it safely without reducing it to a expensive paperweight.

Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

Thanks, though I found my own yesterday.
    I've got to say I've noticed an improvement since I installed the card, though not the 100Kps on Kingarthur 2 or shogun 2 at maximum graphics I was hoping, though I'm not exactly sure why I was expecting that from a £150 card.

should be great at shogun, my old 5870 copes quite adequately T 5760X1200 IN dx11 MODE

Blog Entries

It does, though it still gets choppy in huge battles, I guess I should lay off the anti aliasing.