Thread: e-readers

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default e-readers

Dear Orgahs,

SM is on the market for an e-reader. I own an kindle already, and i'm quite happy with it, but I need to get a new one, and I need an opinion:

It's for a gift, in a country where amazon is unavailable. Has to be easy to upload to, and recognise the majority of formats e-books come in. Some wifi/wireless connectivity would also be a plus. It's going to be used primarily in Europe, so US-exclusive models are out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: e-readers

When you combine most models of Kindle with this software, region lockouts become a thing of the past. Calibre will translate any format to most any other format, so your epubs, mobis and text files can all be moved around at your pleasure. Only question is whether it works with Kindle Fire; I have no idea.

-edit-

I take it back, looks like Calibre will work with the Fire. Actually, there's a pretty impressive list of devices:

At the moment calibre has full support for the SONY PRS line, Barnes & Noble Nook line, Cybook Gen 3/Opus, Amazon Kindle line, Entourage Edge, Longshine ShineBook, Ectaco Jetbook, BeBook/BeBook Mini, Irex Illiad/DR1000, Foxit eSlick, PocketBook line, Italica, eClicto, Iriver Story, Airis dBook, Hanvon N515, Binatone Readme, Teclast K3 and clones, SpringDesign Alex, Kobo Reader, various Android phones and the iPhone/iPad. In addition, using the Connect to folder function you can use it with any ebook reader that exports itself as a USB disk.

Last edited by Lemur; 03-13-2012 at 23:33.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

I would not recommend getting a dedicated eBook reader, when you can get a tablet that does the same function plus a bunch more.

The current crop are getting better, but they're still a bit off for what I'm looking at. 10" at least, lightweight(!!), thin, solid construction. Current 10" tablets are a bit heavy or thick for my taste. If I had to pick now, it'd probably be a toss up between the Asus and the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 dealies. Recommend you take a gander at those two and see if you like either.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the recommendation, Lemur! Dropbox+Calibre have expanded my library from about 60 to over 2000 in a week...

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    I would not recommend getting a dedicated eBook reader, when you can get a tablet that does the same function plus a bunch more.

The current crop are getting better, but they're still a bit off for what I'm looking at. 10" at least, lightweight(!!), thin, solid construction. Current 10" tablets are a bit heavy or thick for my taste. If I had to pick now, it'd probably be a toss up between the Asus and the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 dealies. Recommend you take a gander at those two and see if you like either.
    Thanks, Whacker - the thing is, living with a laptop is unavoidable, so I don't really need more advanced functions at the expense of more expense, and (most importantly) battery life. I already find myself mobile only on my laptop/smartphone battery schedule, and don't want reading to contribute. Currently my kindle can go 3-4 weeks with no recharge and I'm very happy with that. I'd spend an extra 100 if it was 6 months!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

is kobo available in that country.

i use it here, in the UK, and it's rockin!

http://www.trustedreviews.com/kobo-t...ipheral_review
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar