Thread: Joint hotseats with TWH and rule discussion

Strategist and Storyteller Member Myth's Avatar

Default Joint hotseats with TWH and rule discussion

Hey guys, if you don't know yet, I've initiated and set up a partnership between the .org and heavengames and more specifically their TW sections. They are a great bunch of guys, and apart from banner exchange and stuff we will be setting up a joint hotseat.

We exchanged some e-mails as to rule discussion, but I'd like this to now be public on both forums. Please go there and give your two cents, and I'd likewise invite them over here to do the same. I'd really like our patrons to tell them why we have some of these rules, at the .org seems to have a longer history of hosteats and thus we've encountered more of the problems. Their thread on rule discussoin is here.

As far as the joint game is concerned, I think that a team fight like WWC would be best, and maybe one free for all (like the no rules game they are setting up in the M2TW section of our site). Perhaps showing them how bad the stuff can get with no rules by madly exploiting them?
    The art of war, then, is governed by five constant
    factors, to be taken into account in one's deliberations,
    when seeking to determine the conditions obtaining in the field.

These are: (1) The Moral Law; (2) Heaven; (3) Earth;
    (4) The Commander; (5) Method and discipline.
    Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"
    Like totalwar.org on Facebook!

Default Re: Joint hotseats with TWH and rule discussion

Hello Myth and others of the .org. Just in case the rest of you don't know, I'm Kilij from TWH. I joined here awhile back, but naturally I would represent TWH in a interforum hotseat. I don't really have any problems with the rules, maybe besides no spies opening gates.

Unless they are going by different names, I'm pretty sure all the people on the no-rules hotseat in your M2TW section are not from TWH, besides me of course, I was looking for a Retrofit game and alas I expressed my interest.

Back to topic on this interforum hotseat, I would enjoy a team hotseat.

Mmmm, Antares is tasty! Senior Member Alien Attack Champion Nightbringer's Avatar

I would enjoy doing a team inter-forum game for sure!

As to rules, we generally do run with no spies opening gates. If you have any questions about other things i would be glad to answer them. :)
    Moderator of The Throne Room
    “Being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.” ― Kurt Vonnegut
    "Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge." ― Mark Twain
    "Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is." ― Oscar Wilde
    “While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” ― Groucho Marx

Count me in, but know i prefer the strict rules of the TWC. ( basically, lots of rules to counter reloading and ensure balance )

Also, ill not be around to play until mid may as im going to AU^^

Screenshots are one rule which we don't enforce. What other rules are there? The TWH guys don't like much rules at all, so I'd rather not go all OCD on them with a War&Peace sized rule compendium.

Master of the Universe Member LooseCannon1's Avatar

Count me in, too. Now that they understand the defeated army rule over at TWH, they seem to like it. I can play with none/few/many rules but the one I can't handle is the "new play within a limited time frame". We started using that over at twcenter and to commit to play at a certain time is just too stressful for me. Looks like TWH is even more laid back (five days to play?) then it is here.

That play within a time frame may be likied to a post a while back when some were discussing loading with Byg. Apparently there is a log that can tell you if the guy loaded - it outlines every action taken. So if you have to come on the forum, write a post saying you are taking the save, then make new post uploading the new save, people will see the time stamps and compare the log and so on and so forth. But you know, if someone wants to cheat - they will. So why turn a game into a chore? We're not playing for money anyway.

Master of the Universe Member LooseCannon1's Avatar

No, it was not about stopping reloading. It was just invicta's idea to make play faster. Along with fines for slow play and rewards (when someone held up the game) for picking the pace back up. Everyone had to commit to a time of day to play and the factions were then reordered. It worked for a while as 9 players would play 89 turns in 5 months. But it became too stressful

It was to ambitious, the timeslots too small. But the idea is a great one, and emplyed to great affect in BfE on the TWC.
    Instead of a few hours per person and doing a turn a day, Norseman employed the same concept with much more time:

1- England (Mithridate) 00:30-06:30
    2-Novgorod (Invicta) 06:30-12:30
    3-Aragon (Drako) 12:30-18:30
    4-Byzantium (Norseman) 18:30-20:30
    5-Castille http://www.twcenter.net/forums/member.php?171399-ebs 20:30-22:00
    6-Venice (OlorinStormcrow) 22:00-00:30

Day 2 - to be played on Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday
    7-Moors (Stouff) 00:30-06:30
    8-Denmark (Matto ) 12:30-17:30
    9-Poland (The Witch King) 17:30- 19:00
    10-Turks (Dr.Mac) 19:00-20:45
    11-HRE (Tonno) 20:45-22:30
    12-Egypt http://www.twcenter.net/forums/membe...ingLeThanhTong 22:30-00:30

We have been doing half a turn nearly every day despite having several players replaced. Id go with the same idea but with less people and more time, 4 players a day in a 8 player hotseat works wonders. You have 6 hours timespan youre supposed to play ( most of us play roughly the same hours, even if its not daily ) yet you can still have 24-48 hours depending on preference.

Thus turns goes fast while you still dont feel forced to play as much, when it flows it flows and when people need time... they have time

I remind everyone that ill be gone for a month and a half after this weekend, i will need to be subbed.