Thread: SS 6.4 - "Europa I" - Late Era

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: SS 6.4 - "Europa I" - Late Era

The Sicilian Diplomat would shout out in anger.

You sir need to know your history, the same pope wich gave you the crusade gave our forefather, the Norman King all the priviliges he wanted because he was a /true/ pious man. The Grandfather of my king was the one to unite Sicily and put away the influence of the Caliphs.

He would now raise in Volume.

You call us mere merchants and you call yourself the great warriors because you know what is it to fight camels. My friend we have been at war with the Moors before your fathers even saw the coasts of Jerusalem. Do not dare lecture me on fighting Arabs my people have fought them for a big part of their life.You say we are currently laying in silk. That is right but it is silk we earned by god. We earned it by fighting of the Muslims, when it was really needed when they were in Sicily. As you know Sicily is rather close to Rome we then protected Rome and we did so now. So once /you/ have learned your history you can open your mouth.

He would deminish in volume.

The Moors who are now our noble allies because they no longer set claim towards Sicily and have shown great friendship towards us.

-ooc-

What I said about king Roger is true I've looked it up ;3

Far more subtle than the Crusades, but far more successful over the long run, was Urban II's program of bringing Campania and Sicily firmly into the Catholic sphere after generations of control under the Byzantine Empire and the Aghlabid and Fatimid emirs. His agent in the Sicilian borderlands was the Norman ruler Roger I. In 1098, after a meeting at the Siege of Capua, Urban II bestowed extraordinary prerogatives on Roger, some of the very same rights that were being withheld from temporal sovereigns elsewhere in Europe. Roger was to be free to appoint bishops as a right of ("lay investiture"), free to collect Church revenues and forward them to the papacy (always a lucrative middle position), and free to sit in judgment on ecclesiastical questions. Roger I was to be virtually a legate of the Pope within Sicily. In re-Christianizing Sicily, seats of new dioceses needed to be established, and the boundaries of sees established, with a church hierarchy re-established after centuries of Muslim domination.
    Last edited by Dallor; 04-07-2012 at 22:44.