Thread: Getting a smartphone, looking for input (complete newbie)

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Getting a smartphone, looking for input (complete newbie)

So after nearly four years of faithful service, my old phone finally is no longer able to be anything than a brick, and I'm in the market for something new. I'm probably going to get a smart phone, because it's what all the cool kids are getting these days, but I know next to nothing about the subject. I'm operating on an entirely clean slate - no idea what I'm doing, and I'm not on a contract since my last phone was on a pay-as-you-go plan.

My only real stipulation is that I would prefer not to get an iphone. Aside from that, do Orgahs have any advice for how to wade into this thing?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Default Re: Getting a smartphone, looking for input (complete newbie)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    My only real stipulation is that I would prefer not to get an iphone. Aside from that, do Orgahs have any advice for how to wade into this thing?
    Good man.

Do you have a carrier preference? I'm familiar with Verizon phones since that's who I have service with. I have a DroidX2, which I love- but if I was looking for a new phone I'd probably go for the RAZR or RAZR Maxx if you want it with more battery power.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My last phone's carrier was Virgin Mobile, and I was on a pay-as-you-go plan as opposed to a contract. This served me pretty decently aside from the outrageous price of $0.25 per text message sent and received, which really started to bite me at the end. Don't really have a preference aside from which ones offer me the most value. I hold no loyalty to Virgin unless they can let me keep my old number and nobody else can, and even then it's not that big of a deal.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's law in the US that you can transfer your number to a new company.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

The razr looks like a fairly good idea (though you'd probably want to try and get a custom Android ROM on it as 2.3 looks a bit long in the tooth by now), but personally I'm very happy with my Nokia N9.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 03-07-2012 at 16:43.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

If you can do it, then I definitely suggest a Blackberry. I currently own one, and I will stick to Blackberries.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i love my playbook, which runs the new QNX OS, but blackberry phones are pretty antiquated and due for a revolution in October when they too join the QNX party.

if you are not a geek this may not matter. ;)

in the same vein, i love my Nokia N9 which is a truly magnificent device but on really loved by linux fetishists, and hardly the best place to get apps (if you think you'll use them..... many don't).

there are a slew of new android phones coming out, and personally, my favourites are the Samsungs.

get something with a:
    > dual-core or greater SoC (preferably not tegra2)
    > 768MB memory or greater (preferably 1GB)
    > 4" or greater screen (4.3" rocks, why the hell not!)
    > 800x480 or greater resolution (preferably 960x540)

oh, and make sure it will get Ice Cream Sandwich!
    Last edited by Furunculus; 03-07-2012 at 22:24.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    in the same vein, i love my Nokia N9 which is a truly magnificent device but on really loved by linux fetishists, and hardly the best place to get apps (if you think you'll use them..... many don't).
    I know I don't, though partly because the stuff I really want to do need a lot of spare time & no need for a working phone... Looking forward to Mer/Plasma Active on the N9, plus Calligra & Marble touch. Also, Maliit looks to be delivering N9-as-a-remote goodness and I've heard things about preliminary Opera builds, too ...

One of the things to like about the N9 is the ease with which one enables developer mode and do things like give it a proper hostname, setup SSH (keys) and so on.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 03-08-2012 at 04:14.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

and the fact that it has, in addition to the nokia store, access to a n open application development store in apps-for-meego:

http://apps.formeego.org/applications/

i.e. you can get apps on there regardless of whether they have passed approval from corporate entity "x" or not!
    Last edited by Furunculus; 03-09-2012 at 18:38.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Get an iPhone.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    oh, and make sure it will get Ice Cream Sandwich!
    Quoted for truth. I believe the only phone that ships with ICS out of the box is the Galaxy Nexus, so that would be my pick if I were buying right now.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Good man.

Do you have a carrier preference? I'm familiar with Verizon phones since that's who I have service with. I have a DroidX2, which I love- but if I was looking for a new phone I'd probably go for the RAZR or RAZR Maxx if you want it with more battery power.
    Got the Razr Maxx and it works! The people at the Verizon store weren't very bright or helpful but I've come to expect that.

It's amazing that everything actually works...just like my last phone, which worked perfectly for the first six months. I have five and a half months of perfect operating time left.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blackberry all the way!

Don't even think of anything else.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Blackberry all the way!
    Which Blackberry? They've had so many different OSes and supported frameworks ... ugh. Trust me, my company creates apps for all three major platforms, and the one that gives us the greatest pain is the Blackberry. "Fragmentation" doesn't begin to cover it. We charge extra if a client wants a Blackberry app. A lot extra.

Blackberry Bold 9780 with OS 6. Not the new Bold, the upgraded old style Bold, that one.

Or, my favourite, the new Blackberry Torch.

Proud

Been to:

I would advise to get the flagship phone from whichever of the top brands you prefer. If you dont get the flagship you will only be annoyed 3 months down the line. If you cant afford the flagship, save a bit longer. I'd go for Samsung, HTC or Sony. If games is your priority, go for the Sony. If you are clumsy and abuse screens go for one with Samsung or HTC.

Bear in mind quad-core = speed = worse battery than dual core. These companies spend far too much time pushing electrons around and nowhere near enough time developing battery technology.

In depth reviews of the 20 best smartphones...
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...d-today-645440

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Gorilla_Glass

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Probably late... Galaxy S III
    Status Emeritus

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fret View Post
    I would advise to get the flagship phone from whichever of the top brands you prefer. If you dont get the flagship you will only be annoyed 3 months down the line. If you cant afford the flagship, save a bit longer. I'd go for Samsung, HTC or Sony. If games is your priority, go for the Sony. If you are clumsy and abuse screens go for one with Samsung or HTC.

Bear in mind quad-core = speed = worse battery than dual core. These companies spend far too much time pushing electrons around and nowhere near enough time developing battery technology.

In depth reviews of the 20 best smartphones...
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...d-today-645440

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Gorilla_Glass
    Yep. That's why I switched carriers to get the Maxx. Batteries aren't going to get too much better in the future.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: