Thread: Back to STW!

Monk of the Blue Ridge Member Mori Zennousha's Avatar

Default Back to STW!

Greetings,

I was going to write this a couple of hours ago, but then I learned about Tosa. I am still in shock... rest softly, TosaInu.

After many years away, I have just recently reinstalled the original STW... man, this is such a great game! Perhaps I'll get around to STW2, but for the time I have to spend on it these days, STW is fitting the bill nicely!

And that's about it, really. Just wanted to show some love for one of the greatest games ever built, and add my voice to those that still play this thing! If there are noteworthy pieces of info out there (like new-ish things happening with STW, or even MP???), I'd love to hear 'em!

Well, it's good to be back! Hope everyone is well,
    Z

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Re: Back to STW!

Welcome home Mori-san

As you can see, not much happens in the Sword Dojo these days...S2TW mostly. But...there's still a few old-timers (like me) that check in here from time to time.....
    High Plains Drifter

I played a bit of shogun recently, with morale off as an experiment. Idea being that usually it's the enemy army that flees so with no morale it would be more difficult...didn't play enough to make a judgment, it was kind of entertaining to fight it out to the last man though.

I've never gotten into any of the newer games because they seem to feed into the "level up" impulse...that makes them addictive for a few hours and then you just feel like you are wasting your time...

I reinstalled this recently and am into my second return campaign. Lots of fun.

Does anyone remember what the 1.02 patch (MI edition) fixes? I am playing the unpatched 1.00 version right now because I prefer the troop stats it has but wonder what else I might be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by feelotraveller View Post
    Does anyone remember what the 1.02 patch (MI edition) fixes? I am playing the unpatched 1.00 version right now because I prefer the troop stats it has but wonder what else I might be missing.
    Check here.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Ah, thanks. That helps some with reassurance about what I could be missing (but am not). I guess half of my query was about:

"4) A series of code fixes have been made to improve stability."

I have experienced several crashes when reshrinking the battle mini-map. (Including one which, since I went straight to another battle in the same season, deprived me of an incredible and as I found unrepeatable victory over the No-Dachi hoard from Tosa with only YS and SA at equivalent numbers.) Would something that addressed that have been included in the stability fixes? It's okay if it's so long ago that nobody remembers - maybe I need to search more for the patch notes?

p.s I guess I differ from the beta-testers mentioned in that link - I like the original march speeds and detest those of the patch. The other stat adjustments, attack, defense, armour, charge I am neither here nor there about feeling that they are quite a mixed bag. But I guess I am comfortable with the 1.00 versions because that is what I am used to. And yes, I did try 1.02 for a while previously, and also 2.01 (unofficial). Neither took my fancy.

You can edit unit stats even after installing the patch. Besides the stability issues, IIRC, it fixes some of the bugs like enemy reinforcements appearing from all directions of the battle map, or getting hung up on terrain features (which sometimes still happens), or having it be virtually impossible to pull off an ambush, etc.
    Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 03-15-2012 at 01:06.
    High Plains Drifter

Okay.

I had that reinforcement thing happen last night. In Owari, two-bridge river province, where most of my full stack army was attacking into Mino from, I got counter-attacked. Trouble was I had dumped all my 2 man and 6 man remainder units in there to help maintain the siege so I started the battle with half my units severely under strength (is the choice of units when there is more than 16 just random, besides the ranking Taisho?). I decided to withdraw a few of them to get some bows since only 2 out of 9 full strength bow units had appeared on the field. But my reinforcements arrived on the wrong side of the river... great if I was attacking I suppose but something of a disaster on defence.

I reloaded, since it was bugged. Second time through the CPU (you probably call it 'ai' but I can't bring myself to) sat there until time expired, refusing to attack with it's over 1000 man army. Doubly stupid since it had nowhere to retreat to as Mino fell to my few units coming from elsewhere. It lost about 600 men straight up, and another 250 odd in the siege. The castle fell the next turn...

So I am thinking the 1.02 patch might be a good idea after all.

After patching can I simply paste the 'projectiles.txt' and 'troopstats.txt' from 1.00 and overwrite the 1.02 versions? Or is there something more deep I have to do? Will the CPU 1.02 version weight its decisions properly using the 1.00 troop strengths/weaknesses?

Thanks for the help and sorry to be all questions and boring war stories...
    Last edited by feelotraveller; 03-15-2012 at 14:14.

Look here for tools, stat-swappers, maps, etc:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=2

Oh, and the Owari map is bugged when you are the defender. You need to remove the group of buildings in the center of the map on the AI side. Included in one of the mods at the above link is one called 'Nobunaga's Ambition'. You need not install the mod itself, but packaged with the mod is a modified Owari map that corrects the problem.

Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 03-15-2012 at 14:45.
    High Plains Drifter

Your help is very much apprieciated.

I have downloaded the stat-swapper but the campaigns section seems to only have broken links at the moment. Have pm'ed the moderator. Fingers crossed.

Just checked, myself....they are not functioning, as you say. If the links cannot be fixed for some reason, I have the Owari map and can send it to you, if you wish (and the campaign if you want that, as well)
    High Plains Drifter

Yes, if you could send me the campaign that would be good.

I have sent you a PM with my email address.

Its an ongoing concern if the campaigns are no longer available for download though.

Thanks again.

Done and done...along with a few other extras from my STW downloads folder (although gmail won't let me send executables, so I couldn't send all of the modded campaigns). Let me know if you have any problems.

Last edited by ReluctantSamurai; 03-18-2012 at 02:26.
    High Plains Drifter

Brilliant. Thankyou.

I will let you know how I go once I get a chance to try them out.

Oda just attacked Hojo in Owari and came marching over one of the bridges.

Made me so happy I just had to kill them all...

I've been informed that the d/l links for old STW mods has been fixed, so......
    High Plains Drifter