Thread: Tactics Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Tactics Help

Hi All,

I started playing NTW, but am finding the battles a little hard to master. I previously played RTW, and on Normal when I played battles against militia/light armies I got victories with often no casualties. Here against the most weak armies I am facing heavy loses. In fact a decent sized army plastered me yesterday on Normal.

I am not very familiar with the Units (have been looking for guides) and my tactics are pretty rudimentary. I try for constant Artillery fire (which never hits anyone) massed fire from Infantry units on the advancing enemy and flanking charges from cavalry (which doesnt break units like it used to and cavalry is a lot weaker now).

I am using a mix of Revlutionary Inf and Fusileers (the best units available at the start of the Italian Campaign) but getting a lot of casualties.

Ironically, every battle I fight is a heroic victory. I hardly had 3-4 Heroic victories in RTW. Did CA lower the bar or something ?

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Tactics Help

The trick is to force the enemy to attack you.

Put cannon in the middle and infantry close in on both sides. Us skirmishers at the flanks and use your cavalry to raid his cannon, but be careful. You don’t want to lose it on just a few guns.

When you kill their cannon they will attack. You will take loses but once you learn how to handle things it will be much lighter.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Completed the Italian Campaign .. Love the Campaign AI. When I was snatching region after region from the Austrians, the AI did not meet me at the front line like I expected but instead snuck an army to attack my starting regions.

Good Work!

Now on to Egypt and a different set of problems.

Mark Twain

Been a long long week ... hardly got any time for gaming. Plan to take up the Egyptian Campaign from where I left.

Queries:-
    1. Which techs are must have for the campaign and in which order ?
    2. Is it worth going after the British Island ?
    3. What happens if the time runs out ? Do I lose or the I can play forward ?

Here is what I think:

1. The ones that get you better troops.

2. On a later run through. You don’t need it and it is complicated to tell you how it must be done.

3. You lose, but you can keep playing.

Mark Twain